Jett and McCall

If you are Jett and McCall you signed expecting KM would be gone for your Jr and Sr seasons. If KM is returning and redshirts they will both be playing behind him for 2 more years. Add Barnett to the guard mix and you'd have to wonder if one doesn't leave.

We will be absolutely loaded next year. Good players will be fighting for minutes.

Bigs WR, RL, BC, CR,

Tweeners CE, DE

Guards KM, KC, JB, JJ, MM

Imo WR returning almost guarantees that Manning redshirts unless Willie says only 1 more year. Or ... is he good enough to get minutes over Cory right away?

This opens up so many questions and possibilities regarding next year.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are Jett and McCall you signed expecting KM would be gone for your Jr and Sr seasons. If KM is returning and redshirts they will both be playing behind him for 2 more years. Add Barnett to the guard mix and you'd have to wonder if one doesn't leave.

I think this is a real legitimate concern.

Imo WR returning almost guarantees that Manning redshirts unless Willie says only 1 more year. Or ... is he good enough to get minutes over Cory right away?

My guess is that Cory finally redshirts. WR plays the bulk of the time at the 5 with Manning getting 8-10 minutes a game.

We will be absolutely loaded next year. Good players will be fighting for minutes.

Bigs WR, RL, BC, CR,

Tweeners CE, DE

Are you thinking CS is gone? Don't see him listed above. Obviously, he would be way back in the pecking order

Bigs WR, RL, BC, CR,

Tweeners CE, DE

Certainly a predicament. I think you could find enough time for JJ and MM if you're willing to play a 4-guard lineup 5-10 minutes per game. You think we could actually run some with KM, MM, JJ, DE, and WR all on the floor at the same time?

I'd also see about getting Cory that redshirt finally. If he doesn't, then Manning.

My guess is that Cory finally redshirts. WR plays the bulk of the time at the 5 with Manning getting 8-10 minutes a game.

If that ends up being the case, Cory is going to have to really work hard at extending his game out enabling him to play some 4 if he wants much playing time.

Bigs WR, RL, BC, CR,

Tweeners CE, DE

Skip-

Aren't you getting ahead of yourself right now?? Lets be happy if we reach that point where we have so much talent & theres not enough minutes to go around. As we've seen, too much can happen (ie grades, etc). Things have a way of working themselves out.

There are plenty of minutes to go around...here are the MPG for the guards this season

KC 29.9

MM 29.5

JJ 27.7

PE 15.0

CS 13.8

MM, and JJ will see their minutes-per-game drop closer to 20, but they'll still be major contributors on a NCAA caliber team as Sophomores. KC will play fewer minutes, but will be more fresh when he's in there. PE and CS probably won't play much, unless there are injuries.

Skip-

Aren't you getting ahead of yourself right now?? Lets be happy if we reach that point where we have so much talent & theres not enough minutes to go around. As we've seen, too much can happen (ie grades, etc). Things have a way of working themselves out.

Exactly

We have room for all of our players. Even if they red shirt whenever.

I'd say MM plays all 4 and JJ red shirts next year. That way after KM leaves, MM and JJ have the PG spot for a year together. Then after that JJ has it with a youngster for a year.

RM said they may struggle in the classroom as they didn't come from the best high schools. If that is the case, red shirting could be a good and bad thing for them academically. If they have the drive to work through school for a year without the motivation of basketball, then I'd say both short red shirt on different years.

CR vs JM is a good red shirt question as well. It looks like our team is going to be stacked so much for the next 3 years. I mean absolutely STACKED!

As I said before next year we will likely have the best "recruiting" classes in the country with:

Mitchell

Reed

Barnett

Manning

Skip-

Of course I'd never have posted that much less thought it if I knew you had a problem with it.

If you don't mind I'll decide when I should get excited about what we may have next year.

Yes, they may work themselves out and it may be by one of them leaving.

Coming in they expected to play behind KM for 2 years. This changes that ... makes me wonder how they feel about it.

It may not be a problem at all, but unless someone leaves we are going to have players get less minutes and some quite a bit less. Not everyone is game for that.

Lets assume Cody or DE get no time at the 3 in '11 or '12 ... and we know that won't be true as WR and RL will get 50 minutes of the 80 between the 4 and 5. If that's the case we'll have someone wanting leave there.

That leaves 120 minutes to be divided between KM, KC, JB, JJ, MM, CS. and PE. with KM getting 30 mpg almost undoubtedly. Will CS stay getting 5-8 mpg or less? Paul I think will just do whatever he is called upon to do.

There are plenty of minutes to go around...here are the MPG for the guards this season

KC 29.9

MM 29.5

JJ 27.7

PE 15.0

CS 13.8

MM, and JJ will see their minutes-per-game drop closer to 20, but they'll still be major contributors on a NCAA caliber team as Sophomores. KC will play fewer minutes, but will be more fresh when he's in there. PE and CS probably won't play much, unless there are injuries.

I assume we are losing the minutes from PE and CS next yr. Everything I've heard has Paul at med school, and CS is so bad he will either transfer or not play at all.

Of course I'd never have posted that much less thought it if I knew you had a problem with it.

If you don't mind I'll decide when I should get excited about what we may have next year.

Yes, they may work themselves out and it may be by one of them leaving.

Coming in they expected to play behind KM for 2 years. This changes that ... makes me wonder how they feel about it.

It may not be a problem at all, but unless someone leaves we are going to have players get less minutes and some quite a bit less. Not everyone is game for that.

Lets assume Cody or DE get no time at the 3 in '11 or '12 ... and we know that won't be true as WR and RL will get 50 minutes of the 80 between the 4 and 5. If that's the case we'll have someone wanting leave there.

That leaves 120 minutes to be divided between KM, KC, JB, JJ, MM, CS. and PE. with KM getting 30 mpg almost undoubtedly. Will CS stay getting 5-8 mpg or less? Paul I think will just do whatever he is called upon to do.

I thought this was Paul's last year because he was graduating and heading to med school?

Bigs WR, RL, BC, CR,

Tweeners CE, DE

So many things could happen between now and then (injuries, grades, bad decisions at 3AM, etc.). I'm looking forward to open competition next year. I don't think there will be any guarantees for anybody. There should be some spirited practices next season, and anyone who tries to loaf his way through will be riding the pine.

I thought this was Paul's last year because he was graduating and heading to med school?

That is correct, but how sweet would it be to have Paul play basketball as a med student. I heard a med student played on the girl's soccer team.

But yeah, Paul is a senior and likely will be in med school next year. Last I heard, he had an interview at SLU in December, which means he will find out if he got accepted there probably in February or late January. If he doesn't get accepted, maybe Rick could offer him a scholarship and he could take some more classes for a year until he gets accepted, but if he indeed got a 33 on his MCAT, he'll be in. He's been a great player to have for defense and 3-point shooting this year. I don't know why RM didn't offer him one of the open scholarship spots.

That is correct, but how sweet would it be to have Paul play basketball as a med student. I heard a med student played on the girl's soccer team.

But yeah, Paul is a senior and likely will be in med school next year. Last I heard, he had an interview at SLU in December, which means he will find out if he got accepted there probably in February or late January. If he doesn't get accepted, maybe Rick could offer him a scholarship and he could take some more classes for a year until he gets accepted, but if he indeed got a 33 on his MCAT, he'll be in. He's been a great player to have for defense and 3-point shooting this year. I don't know why RM didn't offer him one of the open scholarship spots.

paul should get accepted to SLU's med school and have his paid for, with no application necessary. he's been a trooper for the team and his school and it would only be good pub for the school to give him the doogie howser treatment. i don't know about how honorary physicianism (made it up, don't give a ) works, but he should get that. majerus probably goes to the doctor all the time because he's fat and he says he trusts paul, so i do, too.

if paul pays one dime for med school, i will not be renewing my SLU CSTV internet streaming subscription for next year. if i want to watch a game i'll just do so over channelsurfing.net. count on that.

paul should get accepted to SLU's med school and have his ###### paid for, with no application necessary. he's been a trooper for the team and his school and it would only be good pub for the school to give him the doogie howser treatment. i don't know ###### about how honorary physicianism (made it up, don't give a ######) works, but he should get that. majerus probably goes to the doctor all the time because he's fat and he says he trusts paul, so i do, too.

if paul pays one dime for med school, i will not be renewing my SLU CSTV internet streaming subscription for next year. if i want to watch a game i'll just do so over channelsurfing.net. count on that.

hahahaha best post since BillikenROAR's comment on Greg Oden's 3rd leg. Thanks for helping get me through the work afternoon.

Having too much talent has never been a problem and I don't suspect it will be next year either. Hell, we won't even be .500 this year. Where is all this talent we're going to have to shove aside? We don't have one player on this roster that consistently plays well. The closest is Cassity and he was a no show last game. Conklin has come alive the last 4 games, but will that last? The rest of the team is either inconsistent or consistently bad.

We do have players with potential, but they're not all going to maximize it. Some may develope into good player, some won't. If most of them do we'll have a good team, but there will still be enough playing time for the good players. I don't think we'll ever get to the point where one of our bench riders will be able to transfer to Illinois or even SIUC and be a significant contributor.

Having too much talent has never been a problem and I don't suspect it will be next year either. Hell, we won't even be .500 this year. Where is all this talent we're going to have to shove aside? We don't have one player on this roster that consistently plays well. The closest is Cassity and he was a no show last game. Conklin has come alive the last 4 games, but will that last? The rest of the team is either inconsistent or consistently bad.

We do have players with potential, but they're not all going to maximize it. Some may develope into good player, some won't. If most of them do we'll have a good team, but there will still be enough playing time for the good players. I don't think we'll ever get to the point where one of our bench riders will be able to transfer to Illinois or even SIUC and be a significant contributor.

Hey, thanks for the downer

But seriously, this team has been in every game but Duke and maybe MSU. Add two (maybe three if JB is as good as advertised) players who are better than anyone we've got, and the team is pretty damn good. I thought we'd be a tournament team this year before "the situation" and I have no reason to think otherwise for next year.

Cory will not redshirt his junior year and JJ won't redshirt next year either. We all need to be cautious about the expectations of Barnett. The plus side is what he did as a freshman. The cautious side is that he will have missed a year and he has been practicing against the current talent ( who has managed to make 2 & 3 star player look like 5 star players ). Remember the expectations some had for Loe.

Hey, thanks for the downer

But seriously, this team has been in every game but Duke and maybe MSU. Add two (maybe three if JB is as good as advertised) players who are better than anyone we've got, and the team is pretty damn good. I thought we'd be a tournament team this year before "the situation" and I have no reason to think otherwise for next year.

He is right we act like we have all this great talent but can't beat one of the worst teams in the Country at home. You know what that makes us? One of the worst teams in the country. Now we get to add two good players to that roster and we should be a good team. I think these guys have potential but let's not get ahead of ourselves. How do all these teams keep winning and keep recruiting well year after year if everyone is so concerned about playing time. It seems to me like players want to play for good teams. I'm not concerned about their feelings and about their PT. Put the best players on the floor and start winning. If they transfer then that means they weren't willing to compete and we don't need that type of player here. We need guys that think they are the best and willing to put in the work and effort to prove it.

Also I'm not really happy with Majerus right now. Missing 1 1/2 games already this season. A cut kept him from being on the sideline? Please. A cut kept him from the A10 conference call? Please. I'm willing to bet Majerus or someone close to him has a cell phone that could be used from any bed or location to join in on a conference call. Maybe I'm old school but like Coach Mike Gundy, "I'm a man." You cut your leg Rick you know what grab your 6" avg white d#*k make sure it's still there and get your a## back out there.

Cory will not redshirt his junior year and JJ won't redshirt next year either. We all need to be cautious about the expectations of Barnett. The plus side is what he did as a freshman. The cautious side is that he will have missed a year and he has been practicing against the current talent ( who has managed to make 2 & 3 star player look like 5 star players ). Remember the expectations some had for Loe.

Why wouldn't he?