GDT: SLU v. IUPUI (the palindrome school)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are definitely in trouble when CE, KC, CS are reluctant shooters; when PE has to take over the game 9/10thsof time we are going to lose those games if the freshmen can't pass or assert themselves.

BC, DE, CR PE all had very good minutes we were well defended against and IUPUI made terriffic adjustment second half to shut us down; we did not play well together second half no matter who was on the floor. It seemed we had no scores off turnovers second half.

Except when Jett stepped up at the perfect time for the steal/layup at the end of the game

Agreed.... Happy with his play/shot/hustle so far, but he is more a 5 minute a game guy, than a 25 minute a game guy. Once the team starts to come together a little bit he will see less clock. When/If Kwamain comes back he gets next to no time on the court.

I thought the same thing pre-season, but I was wrong. When you have a guy who hustles like PE and makes 3-4 from 3 point land, why take him out?

PE may or may not be the long term answer at guard this year, but you need to turn to him when he's hot. This whole "he's a 5 minute a game guy who hit a couple of lucky shots" line is b.s.

I say, leave him out there until he proves you/me right.

Things can change people just refuse not to and just don't care. It's really sad. I'm just mad because this young impressionable team could really benefit from the some audible support in tough situations.

Gotta pick your battles, O5. It's really hard to get upset at anyone who showed up in the middle of a holiday weekend against a virtually unknown opponent.

That said, I was almost astounded at the fact that the place was basically quiet on one of our defensive possessions just as the game was getting really tight.

PS: Got this text from a friend attending her first game this year (they share seats and get about 1/4 of the games): "Few more like that and they'll have some season seats available after the (paramedics) carry off their aging fans." So even many of the casual fans "get it." (And, in fairness, this one and the five people she shares with were screaming all the way down the stretch.)

FALSE, IUPUI handed us the game.

+1 - The refs were not our friend through out the game - we got a couple of calls that went our way at the end that were actually called correctly but the way things had been going they could have been called the other way. IUPUI eventually could not shoot from the outside - the only way they scored was by driving and leaning into their man and having the refs call every little contact as a foul.

Billikens didn't allow a 3 pointer.

Great to see Macauley at the game and hear him speak. His bobblehead is of questionable quality though. Mine has glue all over it.

Eventually the rest of the team needs to play with the same intensity Paul does. 12 first half points but he was on the floor fighting for balls at least half a dozen times today.

Dwayne Evans continues to impress me. He plays the most like Paul. He needs to start getting the majority of the playing time at the 3 and 4.

Cassity I thought we were past this. Take the ball to the hole. Quit turning down shots. Same with Salecich your defense won't keep in the lineup forever, start taking shots or sit on the bench.

IUPUI's zone killed us. Either Majerus didn't have an answer for it or we didn't execute his plans. There are more ways to beat a zone than just improving your shooting.

Why are Ellis and Loe now clogging up the middle like they are post up guys? Get out to the 3 point line so the guards can drive. Majerus has said they aren't post players but the last two games they've been stuck down there. Frankly their rebounding will be the same whether they are 18 or 8 feet from the basket.

Disappointing game should have won by 20 at least.

1. I agree about Evans. Very athletic - he can go up for a shot and change his approach in mid air, get fouled and still push the shot through.

2. Kyle is scoring and shooting more than he ever has - I am satisfied with his offensive output and have no complaints about his play so far. The problem with all of our guys driving the second half was that IUPUI was falling back on us when we did and sealing the basket off so we would pass out and the shot was being missed.

3. The zone was not the problem, the problem was we could not hit any shots from the outside in the second half. We shot something like 62% in the first half and that could not continue all game - we shot something like 20% the second half and that gave us our usual 43% shooting for the game. We got open looks but none fell - Loe had at least 4 rim out that half an Cody had a couple do the same.

4. Christian - I agree he has to start shooting. But with basically 5 guards on this team he will continue to play since we don't have any other way to go - MM and JJ just foul too much.

5. Loe and Cody are posting up because when Cory or Brian or not in there we have no post presence.

6. This was never going to be an easy game - IUPUI was 2-3 and two of their losses came from top 25 teams with the third loss being by 2 or 3 points I think. They returned 3 starters from last year's team who made it to the quarterfinals of the CBE. This was never going to be an easy game and anybody who thought it was was simply wrong.

7. Our defense is the key and will be the key all season. Some how we can not keep going through 10 minutes of no scoring and expect to win - the only reason this game turned out differently then the GA game was that we hit 4 FTs during that period when against GA we scored nada.

I thought the same thing pre-season, but I was wrong. When you have a guy who hustles like PE and makes 3-4 from 3 point land, why take him out?

PE may or may not be the long term answer at guard this year, but you need to turn to him when he's hot. This whole "he's a 5 minute a game guy who hit a couple of lucky shots" line is b.s.

I say, leave him out there until he proves you/me right.

Here is the deal with PE - he will break down if he has to play 20 mins a game - if you want to break him down after half a season then fine but I would prefer to have him play 10 mins a game all season with him in at key times.

I thought this was a good game for the Bills. We finally learned how to win at the end unlike the AP and Ga games.

I think the problem is our lack of depth. Afterall we are missing 2 players. The good first halves followed by bad second halves, more turnovers and mistakes near the end, long dry spells with little or no points (usually in the 2nd half) , building up a lead and trying to hang on, shots that are falling short....these are all signs of a tiring team. With 2 more srarters on the team, it would make a huge difference. I think as the season goes on and we become better conditioned we will win a few more of the close ones. The added experience will also be valuable as we learn how to hang on. And finally if KM comes back this year it will be a huge help. In the meantime. we will have to hold on for some exciting and sometimes disappointing rides. At least last night was a first positive step.

Just watched the game again this morning. Funny exchange of words between commentators with 28.5 seconds left IUPUI calls a timeout down 3 points, with the ball.

Rich Gould- "Who you see takin the tre there partner?"

Joe Wiley- "Mike McCall...McCall has played with a lot of poise down the way here as evidenced by making those two clutch free throws, they were huge, only a freshman again, and he's got a nice touch, I wouldn't hesitate to get him the last shot."

Was Wiley even watching the game? Close game down the stretch and he has no clue what's going on.

Just watched the game again this morning. Funny exchange of words between commentators with 28.5 seconds left IUPUI calls a timeout down 3 points, with the ball.

Rich Gould- "Who you see takin the tre there partner?"

Joe Wiley- "Mike McCall...McCall has played with a lot of poise down the way here as evidenced by making those two clutch free throws, they were huge, only a freshman again, and he's got a nice touch, I wouldn't hesitate to get him the last shot."

Was Wiley even watching the game? Close game down the stretch and he has no clue what's going on.

Of course Wiley was watching the game! And just because your opinion differs doesn't mean he has no clue.

Getting a little knee-jerk again, Hicks? Re-read the game status at that point. He clearly had no clue.

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing as Thicks. Although it shows Gould's lack of basketball understanding that he assumed they were going to shoot a three.

Now thats nickel-diming NH. You are really complaining that he assumed they were going to shoot a 3? Come on!

Almost every announcer in the country would assume they would probably drive to the basket, because that's what almost every team in the country would do. Gould does suck at announcing basketball, wiley is OK as the color guy. We won't have good people doing the games until we are more of a major team, but I really wish they could get Highmark to do the games.

Almost every announcer in the country would assume they would probably drive to the basket, because that's what almost every team in the country would do. Gould does suck at announcing basketball, wiley is OK as the color guy. We won't have good people doing the games until we are more of a major team, but I really wish they could get Highmark to do the games.

Highmark is working for FSM - I have heard him do MO games this year with the guy who does Cards games with Al H. whose name escapes me right now.

Of course Wiley was watching the game! And just because your opinion differs doesn't mean he has no clue.

I'm guessing you are joking.... My opinion on who should take the 3 at that point did differ, I would have chose someone on IUPUI since they had the ball and were down 3. I do agree with his description of McCall but definitly wouldn't have guessed him to be taking the three at that point. The odds of McCall taking the 3 at that point had to be somewhere around 1,000,000:1. I guess there was always a chance, but with Wiley's response, at that time in the game, he clearly had no clue what was going on.

Usually, the play by play guy asks the color guy whether he would go for a quick 2 or shoot the 3. The color guy almost always says go for the quick 2. However, I think is being a bit nitpicky to call Gould out for assuming they would shoot a 3. Also, I could be wrong, but I believe Wiley and Highmark will each handle color for the KPLR games. I'm not what which gets which games.

Why wasn't Eckerle in thre more in the second half, especially when they were fouling?

Cassity was on the bench from the 4 minute mark until the 2 minute mark. I am sure he needed a rest but he has to be out there for the final minutes of every game with this team

Our fanbase blows. I'm sorry I don't care how much you give to the school the atmosphere is F***ING TERRIBLE! I get it that the student section was terrible today but thats just how its going to be until we are a top team and its no excuse for the season ticket holders to sit on their hands and not give a ######.

Sorry 05 but I think the problem is the rest of the fanbase is so dehydrated that we cannot yell that much but since you spend half your time going to the visiting team's gatorade jug and drinking it like you are so worn out and important or something you have the electrolytes to cheer non-stop

Sorry 05 but I think the problem is the rest of the fanbase is so dehydrated that we cannot yell that much but since you spend half your time going to the visiting team's gatorade jug and drinking it like you are so worn out and important or something you have the electrolytes to cheer non-stop

Do you have a life other than watching me? Your obsession with me is creepy.