Tenn. St. - game thoughts

bk18

McCall can steal the ball.

Loe needs to grab rebounds not tap them.

Ellis looked at his best so far this year. He was working hard for rebounds today.

Eckerle played awesome and really was what turned the game around for us. He brought an awesome level of intensity that was desperately needed.

I wanted to see CR have a better game than he did. He needs to work for closer shots.

Loe and Cassity need to take more shots.

Tennessee State is not a good team, good shooting in the first half kept them alive.

Billikens shooting is becoming the stuff of legend, 2 games with 50+% from the 3-point line.

We have no post game.

Very happy with Eckerle, take up some minutes, solid D, nails open 3s.

Conk and Remekun need to improve.

Jett and McCall will be very fun to watch.

Hope Ellis continues improvement.

Great for us to finally get a win over D-1 competition, takes some of the stigma and pressure off.

Let's get to .500 Saturday, IUPUI should be a challenge.

Loved the play of Paul Eckerle. I'd give CS's minutes to Eckerle. McCall brings a ton of energy to the floor. He hits open jumpers, he slashes, he makes steals. Awesome. Then there is Evans. He led the team in rebounding tonight. He's that tenacious glue guy this team has needed for some time. This bunch is growing on me.

Loe and Cassity need to take more shots.

Tennessee State is not a good team, good shooting in the first half kept them alive.

Billikens shooting is becoming the stuff of legend, 2 games with 50+% from the 3-point line.

We have no post game.

Very happy with Eckerle, take up some minutes, solid D, nails open 3s.

Conk and Remekun need to improve.

Jett and McCall will be very fun to watch.

Hope Ellis continues improvement.

Great for us to finally get a win over D-1 competition, takes some of the stigma and pressure off.

Let's get to .500 Saturday, IUPUI should be a challenge.

We are at 500 now.

Bench scoring

SLU 48

TNSU 0

They only had 3 guys on their bench. We had 2 guys who'll probably start come conference play on ours.

When we are playing games against "real" opponents and need to have the best team on the floor it is going to be hard to put JJ out there over MM in my opinion. I'm still not sure why he had so many minutes against Georgia.

They only had 3 guys on their bench. We had 2 guys who'll probably start come conference play on ours.

When we are playing games against "real" opponents and need to have the best team on the floor it is going to be hard to put JJ out there over MM in my opinion. I'm still not sure why he had so many minutes against Georgia.

JJ's out there because RM knows for us to be decent both JJ and MM have to be able to contribute. We'll see them both out there at crunch time.

JJ's out there because RM knows for us to be decent both JJ and MM have to be able to contribute. We'll see them both out there at crunch time.

jett is playing because he is our third best guard. he indeed has had some lazy passes but that will get fixed the more he plays for majerus. all in all he has played hard, he crashes the boards and he has done a decent enough job handling the ball. a couple of his hustle plays last night were wonderful. while his shot isnt pretty, he seems to know his limits and gets to a point on the floor he can make it instead of throwing up 3's he wont make. i like jett a lot.

jett is playing because he is our third best guard. he indeed has had some lazy passes but that will get fixed the more he plays for majerus. all in all he has played hard, he crashes the boards and he has done a decent enough job handling the ball. a couple of his hustle plays last night were wonderful. while his shot isnt pretty, he seems to know his limits and gets to a point on the floor he can make it instead of throwing up 3's he wont make. i like jett a lot.

And he had at least one long range jumper, a couple of mid-range jumpers and he is very good at the short range/floater. I like JJ. Brings something different than MM and that's a good thing in my opinion.

And he had at least one long range jumper, a couple of mid-range jumpers and he is very good at the short range/floater. I like JJ. Brings something different than MM and that's a good thing in my opinion.

Both of our young guards have shown flashes of real ability and I am amazed that neither seems intimidated by the situation. They have made mistakes but I do not see any fear! It is really a pleasure to watch them develop and improve even after only about a month of practice. They are defending better and they seem to understand the concepts of the offense. The fact that Jordair does not just chuck up 3 balls when open is impressive. He understands his shooting range is out to about 17 feet and he is a very effective mid range shooter--a lot art with most guards! Both are quick to the basket and they look for the open man. I am very impressed with them.

Both of our young guards have shown flashes of real ability and I am amazed that neither seems intimidated by the situation. They have made mistakes but I do not see any fear! It is really a pleasure to watch them develop and improve even after only about a month of practice. They are defending better and they seem to understand the concepts of the offense. The fact that Jordair does not just chuck up 3 balls when open is impressive. He understands his shooting range is out to about 17 feet and he is a very effective mid range shooter--a lot art with most guards! Both are quick to the basket and they look for the open man. I am very impressed with them.

great post billikan. what i see with jett and mccall in the game at the same time is fantastic defensive potential. they would be the kind of guards that could just wreck havoc on opposing guards with defensive stunts and switches that a lot of teams never see thrown at them. we saw a little of it last night when mccall turned his man and BAM jett was there on the double team and just took the ball out of the tenn st guard's hands.

great post billikan. what i see with jett and mccall in the game at the same time is fantastic defensive potential. they would be the kind of guards that could just wreck havoc on opposing guards with defensive stunts and switches that a lot of teams never see thrown at them. we saw a little of it last night when mccall turned his man and BAM jett was there on the double team and just took the ball out of the tenn st guard's hands.

JJ also had the balls to take and hit the shot to tie the game against UGA. I like what these 2 have to offer. Throw in KM and KC and you've got a nice pg/sg rotation.

No one cares that we beat Rockhurst...you should prob cound strech and nova soho too then

This not about what people care about - at the end of the season the Rockhurst game will count as a win for the record posted. I know the NCAA will disregard it but the game was not an exhibition and so it counts. Nova was an exhibition so it does not count.

+1

Both Jett and Mccall look fantastic for true freshmen point guards. While the team may not win a ton of games this year, it will still be fun to watch these kids grow under Majerus. Especially since if you want to learn and get better it usually happens quickly under Coach. This entire class top to bottom is impressive

In addition, I am surprised at their defensive improvement in just 4 games! Both JJ and MM were getting taken to the rack by Stritch and NovaSE players, and now they are at least holding their own against D1 opposition...exciting to see in such a short time...