Nova Southeastern - game thoughts

bk18

Same thoughts as the first game.

Dwayne was a rebounding machine - 14 total and 10 in the first half. He actually had some nice scores as well with 12 pts (tied for first).

He also took the toughest offensive players in the 2nd half. He is the big, quick athletic defender we need against the elite SF's in the A-10 including Rhode Island's # 10 Akeem Richmond (the pharaoh bearded guy)

PG - Jordair and MM both had good games. Jordair had some great scores (TAKE IT TO THE NET> JETT JETT JETT). He also had 6-7 FGs. He really needed to go for the dunk on that break away though. It's the one thing we are missing this year with KM and WR gone. No dunks that send people on their people.

Conklin- great game. solid performance. Showed he can still push bigger defenders around.

Cory - great game. Solid defensive performance. He had a number of big stops that can't be seen on the box score.

Concerns: Cody and Rob both look like they don't have much offensively besides the 3 points shot. I want to see them post up more and get some shots down LOE!

Rick Majerus can't be upset about that much considering how young this team is. Biggest need for improvement: DRAW FOULS so we can put their star players on the bench and go to the FT line.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same thoughts as the first game.

Dwayne was a rebounding machine - 14 total and 10 in the first half. He actually had some nice scores as well with 12 pts (tied for first).

He also took the toughest offensive players in the 2nd half. He is the big, quick athletic defender we need against the elite SF's in the A-10 including Rhode Island's # 10 Akeem Richmond (the pharaoh bearded guy)

PG - Jordair and MM both had good games. Jordair had some great scores (TAKE IT TO THE NET> JETT JETT JETT). He really needed to go for the dunk on that break away though. It's the one thing we are missing this year with KM and WR gone. No dunks that send people on their people.

Conklin- great game. solid performance. Showed he can still push bigger defenders around.

Cory - great game. Solid defensive performance. He had a number of big stops that can't be seen on the box score.

Concerns: Cody and Rob both look like they don't have much offensively besides the 3 points shot. I want to see them post up more and get some shots down LOE!

Rick Majerus can't be upset about that much considering how young this team is.

This was a very hard game to watch because for much of the time our trademark defense was not there at all. We tightened up a bit at the end and that is why the margin was at least double digits.

I never know how much to take out of these games because we have seen over the years that players may have great nights in the exhibitions and then the things we saw seem to disappear against better competition.

With that being said, a few observations:

From the first day I saw him I thought Evans was a player and he sure looked the part tonight. He was by far our best rebounder and he showed some skill in the post. He is still green on defense but he is better than most of the other "bigs" at this point. I really like his game.

Although Loe is not necessarily a low post scorer he made some extremely nice passes out of double teams and he stayed active. With 20 pounds of muscle he will be a real player. He has nice touch and tonight he seemed to fight more for loose balls. He has a ways to go but we will need him and his shot to beat good teams.

The two frosh guards has a number of nice moments and some not so good. Exactly what you would expect from frosh. But both has shown enough to give us hope that they will be important contributors this year. JJ has a very nice mid range game and MM is quick and smart. They both need work on the defensive end but they appear to be very willing to listen.

Overall, the freshman look collectively to have a huge upside--this class may be the best yet for the RM recruiting team.

The more experienced players had their moments but we need more from all of them. Conklin was good on offense generally but he played one of his worst defensive games.

I was depressed when we were up only 4 with about 7 minutes to go. We need to have the new guys pick up our defense real quick. On the other hand, I think this might ultimately be our best offensive team in years if KM comes back!

I don't know how coach keeps Evans off the floor. He's got the aggressiveness of Conk in a 6'5" athletic body. Against real competition, he's not going to do much scoring in the paint but I don't care. This team is screaming for physical players and Evans brings it.

Overall, the freshman look collectively to have a huge upside--this class may be the best yet for the RM recruiting team.

Agreed. Evans has looked great on both ends of the floor. Loe has a smooth shot and did seem to be a little tougher in the post today as opposed to Tuesday night when he was thrown around by Hacksaw Jim Duggan. Loe will get better with every game. Jett had some wild moments but looks tough taking it at the other team and seems to finish the majority of the time. Jett seems a step slow on D at times. McCall is the quickest guy on the court. This will be the best class at SLU when all is said and done.

I'm excited for this season, I believe we will be better than some people are expecting with the exit of WR and KM.

Remekun looked good on defense and actually posted up these guys tonight a few times. He got better with every game last year, maybe he is just a slow starter... let's hope.

When/If Mitchell comes back for conference play we should be pretty solid, hopefully the bigs can stay out of foul trouble. If we get the refs from tonight all season we should be good, they didn't seem to call too many fouls.

If Evans can play the 3, he is going to get a lot of minutes. Our big men are not great rebounders. Cody, Loe, and Conklin just aren't good at it and Corey is still going to get in too much foul trouble. Evans provides the much needed rebounding and if he can do it while playing the 3 spot, it'll be huge for us.

Loe has his issues as he needs to get stronger, learn a post game, etc. but he will be a star in a year or two. The quick release shot, the passing ability, the confidence on the perimeter are things you just don't find in 6'11 guys. We are all going to really enjoy watching him develop...

Finally, we all hoped that Conklin's 8 for 8 shooting last game wasn't an accident but he missed a lot of 5 foot and closer shots tonight which is what we saw all last year. Its amazing how the shooting percentage decreases when you aren't being defended by a 6'4 guy.

I don't know how coach keeps Evans off the floor. He's got the aggressiveness of Conk in a 6'5" athletic body. Against real competition, he's not going to do much scoring in the paint but I don't care. This team is screaming for physical players and Evans brings it.

Evans always seems to be in the right place at the right time.

I really like Evans. Heck, he might wind up being better than Tommie Liddell III (under Majerus, anyway)!

I'm concerned about the defense. It seems porous. The guards need to keep the ballhandler in front of them; there's no Willie Reed back there to erase their mistakes this year.

They haven't drawn many fouls. That needs to change. It appears to be a better free-throw shooting team than last year's edition.

I'm not expecting much at this point. The results of road games could be disheartening. We shall see.

evans is playing well. however he is doing it as a power forward. i am not convinced he will be able to play there when we play more formidable teams with legitimate d-1 power forwards. i do not think evans will give much time as a wing. his shot is not good at all. but he is rebounding. he is defending and he knows what is going on.

jett is surviving right now because of pure basketball instincts. it appeared to me he got yelled at more than anyone tonite and likely is having the most trouble picking up "the system". while he is raw, he is so physically strong and does a lot of things right. if he catches up on rickma ball, he will be good.

mccall imo was the best player on the floor tonite. the one steal where he just jumped straight up on his man and took the pass out of the air was pure athleticism.

loe was noticably better tonite than tuesday. he didnt get pushed around near as much. i would bet the coaches are working on his footwork and balance to enable him to stand up to the beatings. that said, he is still weak under the basket. but offensively the kid does a lot of things right and i like his agressive attitude. he isnt afraid to look at the basket. he needs to give some of that to cassity.

cassity was just a ghost tonite. really nothing to say about him. i didnt really see him do anything wrong, but didnt really seem to leave his mark either

remeken and salicich imo were both weak again and imo made more mistakes than good. our freshmen will take their minutes if they do not snap our of it imo.

ellis made a couple of shots and had about four that were halfway down and popped back out. but ellis isnt playing much defense at all. he made #5 look like a star.

eckerle was cassity's twin tonite. not much to say about him.

all in all i thought it was a disjointed boring game. but that is to be expected as the coaches are trying to find combinations and give everyone minutes. nothing to be upset about just an exhibition game.

mccall imo was the best player on the floor tonite. the one steal where he just jumped straight up on his man and took the pass out of the air was pure athleticism.

His nick name in high school was the silent killer. He lives up to it. He doesn't demand attention. He is always working for the team. And you kind of forget about him for a while ... then he gets a sick steal like he did puts it in and gets back to work. YOU GOTTA LOVE THIS GUY!

I like Evans game but those hoping for 30 minutes a game for him right now are way off. He can fill in at the 4 but will be exposed with a lot of playing time. He's a ballhawk though. He doesn't have the ball skills Liddell had. Evans looks a lot like Julian Winfield when he was at Mizzou. A valuable little tweener who came off the bench and wreaked havoc in matchups and opposing teams 2nd team.

Ellis has to get it together on the defensive end or he won't start or play much and we need his offense.

Conklin reverted to form missing on a bunch of 5 footers. He's not big enough to finish inside consistently.

Remuken has really disappointed me in the first 2 games. He is 4th on my big man depth chart right now. Post defense has regressed.

Cassity didn't show up. Had a couple good passes and buckets.

McCall and Jett both played well offensively. McCall taking some jumpers and dishing off the dribble while Jett hit some mid rangers and took it to the basket. McCall had a nice steal and finished a layup despite a bad pass from Salecich, he caught the ball with the back of his hand, heckuva play.

Loe was OK. A work in progress.

A lot of potential and some of the freshman are ahead of where I thought they'd be especially Evans. Still the veterans Ellis, Cassity, Salecich, have got to play much better for us. If those 3 aren't scoring 30 between each other we are going to be in trouble.

Evans always seems to be in the right place at the right time.

Agreed. I love the calmness he has on the floor as well. No deer in headlights look on that guy. Of course, that could change going into conference play, but even going from HS to exhibition games in D1 college ball will scare the crap out of most freshman. He seems, and looks more mature than a freshman. Can't wait to see this guy contribute this year.

Here is what I got from the two exhibition games:

Cody - His defense does need work. However, it looks like his shot is back. While his 3 pt % wasn't otherworldy these two games, his release is quick and those that didn't go down were right on target. I have sensed concern from some that he might see playing time decrease due to his lapses on defense. Personally, I doubt that. He will be counted on to be a primary scorer and most likely log the most minutes of the forwards.

Conklin - He looks even stronger and bigger than last year. While he scored quite a few points both games, it is still apparent that he is limited offensively and it was a bit distressing to see him miss some easy putbacks the last game. Nevertheless, he is definitely one of the leaders of the team and will be relied on for both energy and defense down low. I see him knocking a few guys on their backside this season.

Cassity - The main leader of the team now that KM is gone (for now.) I feel comfortable with the ball in his hand and hope that he will look for his shot more this season. It was nice to see him hit three's both games. I also liked that he beet the press easily in the Nova game when they tried it.

Christian - I feel like he will lose playing time to the frosh. I really like his swagger and confidence, but his shot still seems erratic and he seems prone to mistakes on both ends of the floor. Sadly, the frosh seem to have a better grasp of the system as well as just being more talented.

Eckerle - Probably the smartest guy in the building most nights. However, the talent just isn't there for him to be on the floor for extended peiords of time. He can hit a three now and then and he definitely knows the system better than anyone on the team, but against Nova I felt like he was on par with them athletically, not above them as I felt with the majority of the team. His value is his leadership and guidance to the other players.

Cory - Not sure what I gathered about him from these 2 games. I did like he showed some low post moves against Nova. He will be relied on to be a down-low defender and while I don't think he will block as many shots as Willie, he will get his share. It was also nice to see a little 'Jamtime!' from him in the Nova game. Also, I noticed that he was able to stay on the floor for more than 3 minutes before needing a breather.

Loe - He is a bit clumsy on the defensive end. He can use a bit more muscle. He needs to work on his low post game. However, he is going to be a terrific scorer! He has great range, and his shot looks nice from both mid-range and above the arc. I see him scoring right off the bat and only getting better as the season moves along. I also see him committing a lot of fouls and driving RM crazy at times due to his defensive issues. However, he is the real deal and worthy of the praise heaped on him prior to arriving.

McCall - Extremely, obscenely fast! He played a little out of control out of times, but love his athleticism. Also, he made some fantastic passes that led to baskets. He is going to probably lead the team in steals this season. Another kid that seems to be worthy of the press prior to coming in.

Jett - Really, really strong for a guard. Will get most of his points around the basket as he doesn't seem to have much of an outside shot at this point. Seems a bit raw right now, but he that is to be expected as he is a frosh. I think he will be a very exciting player down the road.

Evans - Trying to temper my expectations based on what I saw from him during the exhibition games, but I think he might eventually be the best of the bunch! Athletic and strong, he definitely plays bigger than 6'5". He definitely has a nose for the ball as a rebounder. I swear I saw him ****** a couple of rebounds out of Conklin's hands! You can also tell he played in the low post at high school, as that is how he scored most of his points. Hopefully, he can develop a decent jumpshot, as it will be tougher for him to score that way against D1 competition.

Anyway, in closing, I think this is the best group of freshmen I have ever seen come in. To be honest, I have no idea what to expect this season. I do know that we have a balance of leaders (Cassity, Conklin, Eckerle) combined with some young exciting players. I also think we may not have the issues scoring that we originally thought. Combine that with the possibility of getting KM back after the New Year and this might be a really fun season!

Anyway, in closing, I think this is the best group of freshmen I have ever seen come in. To be honest, I have no idea what to expect this season. I do know that we have a balance of leaders (Cassity, Conklin, Eckerle) combined with some young exciting players. I also think we may not have the issues scoring that we originally thought. Combine that with the possibility of getting KM back after the New Year and this might be a really fun season!

I got to watch the 2nd half on SLUBillikens.com live feed. First, is this feed available as a freebie all season, or just a teaser for purchasing a reg season package? As for the team, it's difficult to judge on the small screen but one thing that impressed was the ball movement. It seemed crisp and most times the passes found the open guy. Not that they hit the shot, but it was a good shot taken. Defense did seem far removed from RM's usual standards. A lot of back door cuts gave NSE some easy ones. Hope Richmond doesn't get this tape as that's their offense. Am sure this will get corrected during the course of the season as the Frosh learn how to play D at this level. Evans was impressive no doubt, but against better athletes he'll face we probably should expect less. JJ and MM both appear to have that Frosh tendency to be quick but not sure what to do when they arrive, ala Randy Pulley but not as bad. JJ made a couple of nice shots off his quickness to the basket. KC again leaves you scratching your head. I saw two wide open 3 looks he passed on. Shoot the ball, Kyle! Interested to know if CE's play on D is probably due to his not being able to do much over the summer in terms of conditioning? Mono's one of those illnesses that tend to drag on and saps a lot of one's energy. CS, the two shots/clanks I saw were very reminiscent of last year. Whoever said he was a marksman is sadly mistaken. It's one thing if the ball's hitting the cylinder and spinning out, but his hit the side of the rim with little touch. Right now I'd say unless he's a lockdown defender he's gonna lose minutes to MM, DE, and JJ. RL's shot looks good with a quick release. Once they start falling for him, and they will, he'll be a bigger CE that will cause matchup problems.He'll have to learn to be more assertive on D and rebounding which is almost always the case with the international kids. Give him time. CR not much to write about there, but hoping he starts playing like he did at the end of last year. Actually, playing w/o KM for the first half of the year may have a hidden benefit for the young'uns. He won't be there to bail us out. It will be up to them to man the pumps. So, when he comes back it won't all be on KM's shoulders come crunch time, and they'll have some extra confidence which will make us better all around. It's not going to be the year we were all expecting, but I think we're in for some pleasant surprises and upsets. Of course, we'll probably lose a few we shouldn't as well.

Ok Good game for most of the guys but whats the deal with Rob Loe, he needs a lot of work and he is just to stiff, then I guess he is supposed to be out 3-point threat and the tallest on the team....c'mon now, If I was Majerus I would put him in the post and make his a** learn an inside game and Id even rough him up in practice just to toughin him up a lil, He looks like a pansy out there. Grant it he is a freshman but really I dont see an upside to him. Guess he is just gonna be a 6'11 three point shooter....hmmmmm....good recruit!

Ok Good game for most of the guys but whats the deal with Rob Loe, he needs a lot of work and he is just to stiff, then I guess he is supposed to be out 3-point threat and the tallest on the team....c'mon now, If I was Majerus I would put him in the post and make his a** learn an inside game and Id even rough him up in practice just to toughin him up a lil, He looks like a pansy out there. Grant it he is a freshman but really I dont see an upside to him. Guess he is just gonna be a 6'11 three point shooter....hmmmmm....good recruit!

Hey guys, normally I echo a lot of what the other posters say on here and I am not normally THAT critical of the team. But I do have a few points I would like to make. We should have an 8 man rotation right?

So right now my 8 are: KC, BC, CE, MM, CS, DE, RL, CR. Everyone else IMO should really just be delegated to the bench. I have RL ahead of CR right now. The reason that CR should be on the floor is because he provides good Defense and Rebounding. I just haven't seen it so far. I know what he brought last year, but what does he bring to the floor with him other than signaling to the team that there is one less scorer on offense for us?

I dont care if some say he is soft. I want RL in the game much more than CR at this point. When RL is in, our offense runs 100% smoother because he brings his man outside and it really opens up the middle (thats sort of what Majerus has been waiting for all along right?) And Torch hater, how can you not see an upside, poor man Dirk Nowitzski's do not attend SLU, till now.

DE is a more athletic version of Kyle Cassity right now IMO. He is in the right place at the right time, does not commit stupid acts, and we seem just to be more solid with him on the floor. I know it is exhibition, but we have seen our share of Freshman the past few years and he just looks different IMO. Doesn't give a crap about ther risk big bad Majerus giving him an earful...he just plays his game. He deserves minutes...and that is going to kill Majerus because on paper he SHOULD be about 10th man on the bench. But I have him as the first person off the bench. I do not care if people have more experience than him, WE PLAY BETTER WHEN HE IS IN THE GAME...isnt that all that really matters?

So right now, my starters/5 people with the most minutes are:

RL

BC

CE

MM

KC

I understand that CR and CS will likely start...but if I am basing all my knowledge on what I have seen so far. This is who I want.

Thoughts?

evans is playing well. however he is doing it as a power forward. i am not convinced he will be able to play there when we play more formidable teams with legitimate d-1 power forwards. i do not think evans will give much time as a wing. his shot is not good at all. but he is rebounding. he is defending and he knows what is going on.

Agree it remains to be seen how Evans' game translates against real opponents but I think we know a few things about him. He rebounds, just seems to find all the loose balls. He's athletic enough to defend the 3 although he is still a work in progress defending away from the paint. He can't shoot nor slash from the wing but does well moving the ball and feeding the post. He can catch and shoot from 12' in. He can post up players of equal size.

Our bigs have looked bad defensively so far. I'm hugely disappointed with Cory in the early going. They'll need help on the boards and playing Evans at the 3 does that. On the offensive end, given that Cody or Loe will always be on the floor, we can get away with playing a 3 who can't score from the wing because we'll always have a big on the floor who can shoot from the perimeter.

On another note, I thought McCall was the most improved from exhibition game 1 to 2. Amazing quickness. You can see his confidence growing.

Hey guys, normally I echo a lot of what the other posters say on here and I am not normally THAT critical of the team. But I do have a few points I would like to make. We should have an 8 man rotation right?

So right now my 8 are: KC, BC, CE, MM, CS, DE, RL, CR. Everyone else IMO should really just be delegated to the bench. I have RL ahead of CR right now. The reason that CR should be on the floor is because he provides good Defense and Rebounding. I just haven't seen it so far. I know what he brought last year, but what does he bring to the floor with him other than signaling to the team that there is one less scorer on offense for us?

I dont care if some say he is soft. I want RL in the game much more than CR at this point. When RL is in, our offense runs 100% smoother because he brings his man outside and it really opens up the middle (thats sort of what Majerus has been waiting for all along right?) And Torch hater, how can you not see an upside, poor man Dirk Nowitzski's do not attend SLU, till now.

DE is a more athletic version of Kyle Cassity right now IMO. He is in the right place at the right time, does not commit stupid acts, and we seem just to be more solid with him on the floor. I know it is exhibition, but we have seen our share of Freshman the past few years and he just looks different IMO. Doesn't give a crap about ther risk big bad Majerus giving him an earful...he just plays his game. He deserves minutes...and that is going to kill Majerus because on paper he SHOULD be about 10th man on the bench. But I have him as the first person off the bench. I do not care if people have more experience than him, WE PLAY BETTER WHEN HE IS IN THE GAME...isnt that all that really matters?

RL

BC

CE

MM

KC

I understand that CR and CS will likely start...but if I am basing all my knowledge on what I have seen so far. This is who I want.

Thoughts?

NO JJ

RL

BC

CE

MM

KC

Thoughts?

All your talking about is RL's offense which to me I havent been impressed but the fact that he cant get up and down the court to play some defense is gonna hurt us with the better competition, u watch and take my word on it. Other teams are gonna rough him up on the defensive in and its gonna affect his offense. He looks winded a lot, if its a matter of conditioning then he needs to correct that but it just worries me when he is in there thats all, the only boards Ive seen this guy get are the ones straight to him. But u say this is what RM is lookin for well hmmm I beg to differ, The other freshman I see an upside and are excited about just not this guy, thats all Im saying ;)

Torchhater, if Loe was able to defend and rebound well he probably wouldn't be at SLU. You can't teach a 7 footer his range and passing ability. He will get a lot stronger and smarter on the defensive end over his 4 years. He is going to very good.

Torchhater, if Loe was able to defend and rebound well he probably wouldn't be at SLU. You can't teach a 7 footer his range and passing ability. He will get a lot stronger and smarter on the defensive end over his 4 years. He is going to very good.

He certainly has a scorers mentality, but he does not have an aggressive mentality. I would like to see him post up with more vigor and take the ball to the basket. I think and I hope that will come with time.

Yeah but this is gonna be a looooooooong learning year for him...lol

Yeah but this is gonna be a looooooooong learning year for him...lol

Probably so, but fortunately he looks to be pretty well conditioned and will be able to get big learning minutes early on. He also appears to be a smart kid as he is making strides early. I'm pretty impressed with his passing after last nights game. Obviously gotta love the ability to bring the D to the outside. We're going to need that if we want our small lineup to get to the hoop without being swatted. It'll take a little while but he's not a lost cause like a Brett Thompson.

All your talking about is RL's offense which to me I havent been impressed but the fact that he cant get up and down the court to play some defense is gonna hurt us with the better competition, u watch and take my word on it. Other teams are gonna rough him up on the defensive in and its gonna affect his offense. He looks winded a lot, if its a matter of conditioning then he needs to correct that but it just worries me when he is in there thats all, the only boards Ive seen this guy get are the ones straight to him. But u say this is what RM is lookin for well hmmm I beg to differ, The other freshman I see an upside and are excited about just not this guy, thats all Im saying ;)

I saw RL make quite a few nice outlet passes last night and a few from the high post, which is where RM will probably play him. RL causes matchup problems. If they're sticking a 6-5"-6'7" guy on him he can shoot over them. And if he gets hot you have no choice but to lay a big body on him which opens up the inside for guys like BC, DE, CR, and even CE. Not many teams in the A-10 have +6'10 guys, so RL if his shot is as good as projected could have some very nice scoring games for us. It all depends on his shot. Still, he's got to play down low in D, and that's where we'll find out if he's got the heart to play D1 ball.