Mitchell and Reed suspended

ACE

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i would expect this season to be just like last season. a roller coaster ride with highs and lows. tons of potential but it just sucks.

Yep, I'm guessing we hang with everybody, win 17-20 games, make good progress, and think next year will be "The Year." In essence we've become Dayton Fans.......

I wish there was a way to know what evidence the school had that rape occurred. This suspension confuses me and pisses me off. If you believe rape occurred they should be booted for life, not suspended. If you don't they shouldn't get a larger penalty than every other student who has drunk sex in the dorm gets.

If I was RM and there wasn't plenty of evidence that this encounter was forced, I'd leave today.

Well, the university finally did as suggested. Short presser. Players not enrolled. Privacy laws prevent further comment. Now the bloodletting begins. Better to get it underway now. As everyone else said, I was prepared to lose Willie. That would hurt but the team could rally around Cory with the leadership of Kwamaine and a boost from the new players. With both gone, we lose 28 points and 10 rebounds per game. This team becomes very young again and will have a very difficult time overcoming that. The loss of Kowal on top of this is just a kick in the nuts. Why do the basketball gods hate us so?

No one has stated that both players have been totally thrown out of SLU, ONLY suspended for 1 Semester ,if the boys decide to stay they will be back for start of Conference.

Were was this stated, I thought they are no longer enrolled at SLU. It could be for the semester or forever. Who Knows?

As stated before: " It is hard work being a Billikens Fan!"

I`m with Roy on this 1 ,the boys will have to step up to cover for KM & WR ,

No one has stated that both players have been totally thrown out of SLU, ONLY suspended for 1 Semester ,if the boys decide to stay they will be back for start of Conference.

Yes the 2 were our most Senior players it will be tough , but with RM & His coaching staff im sure we will be more than competitive in Pre season . Our Freshman will have to mature quicker just as last years Freshman group which will only benefit the Bills come conference play with hopefully both players coming back ready to play & lead the team to the A10 tourny.

Posted Image

I like it.

Its time to rally around the Baby Bills 2.0

Wanted to offer my condolences. As a huge fan of a team, I know what it feels like to feel like you just got kicked in the guts and have your heart ripped out. I imagine a lot of you are feeling that way now.

Sucky to see the two kids go, and hopefully SLU finds a way to rally this year.

I wish there was a way to know what evidence the school had that rape occurred. This suspension confuses me and pisses me off. If you believe rape occurred they should be booted for life, not suspended. If you don't they shouldn't get a larger penalty than every other student who has drunk sex in the dorm gets.

If I was RM and there wasn't plenty of evidence that this encounter was forced, I'd leave today.

Rape shouldn't even be brought up. No way that the school had evidence of forcible sex, these guys would be gone for good if that was the case.

Wanted to offer my condolences. As a huge fan of a team, I know what it feels like to feel like you just got kicked in the guts and have your heart ripped out. I imagine a lot of you are feeling that way now.

Sucky to see the two kids go, and hopefully SLU finds a way to rally this year.

Its possible they will be back for the spring semester

Steve I know it's your Board, but do you really have to put it that way? (EDIT) Your post was changed after my post. Good job.

I didn't make the edit...just didn't know what else to say...word choice could have been anything really...

billiken_roy, on 13 October 2010 - 03:15 PM, said:

i dont see this as a "setback". a plateau or running in place, yes definitely. too vital of cogs to the team to not feel it. however the truth is we are deep. and we have what is supposed to be a stellar freshmen class and a nice high school center on the way.

i just dont see us becoming a less than 500 team and stuck at that level for "years". granted ncaa might not be there in 2011 anymore. and mid 20's win season may be lost. but we'll get through it.

hell we got through ekker. we can get through this.

I`m with Roy on this 1 ,the boys will have to step up to cover for KM & WR ,

Yes the 2 were our most Senior players it will be tough , but with RM & His coaching staff im sure we will be more than competitive in Pre season . Our Freshman will have to mature quicker just as last years Freshman group which will only benefit the Bills come conference play with hopefully both players coming back ready to play & lead the team to the A10 tourny.

Just to add what MORON would blame the Coach or coaching staff for this incident ,

Are they expected to be holding their players hands 24hrs a day ,

The 2 boys have only them selves to blame for placing themselves in this stupid position Guilty or NOT Guilty and just not letting them selves down but their families , coaches, team mates& University.

Do not believe RM will walk away from this unless pushed .

I suppose it's possible, but schools usually don't put out a presser for guys who are not enrolled in the school, but will be back in a few months. For SLU's sake, I hope they are.

Very good point, im just looking for anything positive even if its far fetched

Rape shouldn't even be brought up. No way that the school had evidence of forcible sex, these guys would be gone for good if that was the case.

Well then I'm shocked to hear that all students who have drunk sex in the dorm get suspended for a semester or longer. I mean they all do, don't they? I'm surprised every male at SLU hasn't been suspended for at least 1 semester.

I've tried to avoid making any comments here on this going back to the initial allegations, so here it goes now.

I know it won't happen, in part because it was mentioned in the press release, but I'd like to know what exactly they were found guilty of by the university conduct board, or whatever it's called. I can confidently comment that the board didn't find them guilty of sexual assault, first because the police didn't turn up enough evidence for the prosecutor to file charges, and second because if so, Mitchell and Reed would have been expelled from the university. If they were legitimately found to have been in violation of some serious university rule, then they deserve to be suspended and they shouldn't be representatives of Saint Louis University. If it's some ticky-tack rule that the majority of the student body violates on a normal basis, but this conduct board decided to use it as an avenue to make up for the fact that they or law enforcement couldn't make other charges stick against them, then that's pretty bad as well. I don't know which one it is.

Going back to the few days in between the initial allegations and the announcement that the prosecutor wasn't going to prosecute, I thought the following about Majerus' reaction to this. I basically concluded that he was going eat somebody alive over this. Majerus may be a hard-nosed basketball coach who wants to win, but he wants his players to be model citizens and be excellent representatives of the university. If he believes that Mitchell and Reed truly did something that is in violation of those duties I mentioned in the previous sentence, then he'll eat them alive for this. If Majerus believes that they got railroaded on some ticky-tack rule like I mentioned above, then he'll eat someone else alive for this. If it's the latter, we've got problems.

This will no doubt hurt us this season. Still, if this happened to most SLU teams, we'd be so thin we'd be looking at a 5-10 win season. We have enough depth that we should be able to be competitive, Even without Mitchell and Reed, however long they are gone. I'd like to see Majerus say in an interview or press conference, "We will rally around Mike McCall and Cory Remekun... and we will play good basketball."

I am sorry to hear about this for you all. As an SIU fan, I can relate having MAJOR defections in recent memory. Our heralded Top 25 in the country recruiting class of '08 went from 5 to 1, with several police interventions as well. This was looking to be a good season for you all, and I thought Rick Majerus finally had something going for you all. This is definitely a devastating blow that puts you all back at least 2 years but not decades as one poster said.

Good luck this year, it is going to be rough. You all might wind up losing Majerus for this. As unfair as it is, head coaches get a lot of the blame for issues out of their control........