Any Scrimmage news?

Scoop

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Havent seen any scrimmages but this is what I have heard from a few people:

Mitchell- Best player on the team, will be fighting for 1st team all conference and even POY

Barnett- Best shooter on the team, very good overall game

Cassity- Actually looks more like a man out there instead of a scared school girl

Loe- Can really shoot it but seems a bit slow but I feel will be perfect for Ricks OHfense give him a year or two

Jordair- Just is a super athlete and is very stocky and physical. Didnt shoot much

Remekun- Thinks he is in Boyz to Men with his haircut but looks like he wants to make is mark this year especially with his D and rebounding

Ellis- Lost a lot of weight cant really tell if he gained any quickness his shot still looks ultra smooth

McCall- Will make a push to start by year end

Christian- Same as last year

Evans- Pretty smooth, cant shoot, but seems to do a lot of things well

Reed- Same as last year, although he thinks he is Magic Johnson out there leading the break, lets hope Rick doesnt allow that

Conklin- same as last year

Mitchell- Best player on the team, will be fighting for 1st team all conference and even POY

Cassity- Actually looks more like a man out there instead of a scared school girl

Loe- Can really shoot it but seems a bit slow but I feel will be perfect for Ricks OHfense give him a year or two

Jordair- Just is a super athlete and is very stocky and physical. Didnt shoot much

Remekun- Thinks he is in Boyz to Men with his haircut but looks like he wants to make is mark this year especially with his D and rebounding

Ellis- Lost a lot of weight cant really tell if he gained any quickness his shot still looks ultra smooth

Reed- Same as last year, although he thinks he is Magic Johnson out there leading the break, lets hope Rick doesnt allow that

Thanks. As far as BC and CS being the same as last year. Let's hope BC can contribute a little more with healthy ankles and CS can raise his 3 point % a couple points.

I guess I can understand RM's desire to close practices given his reputation as a horse's @$$, BUT under all previous regimes we were allowed to come to the gym and watch "informal workouts" around this time since the coaches couldn't be there. I was always able to call the BB office and find out when the guys were playing. I am assuming that that is no longer allowed since I got run out of the Fetz last year when I was just walking around.

What a shame we are no longer welcome.

Thanks. As far as BC and CS being the same as last year. Let's hope BC can contribute a little more with healthy ankles and CS can raise his 3 point % a couple points.

Fingers crossed that BC can stay 100% this year. He had several games last year that he really shined. I don't know for sure those were just games he felt good or what, but I can only guess he will play better when healthy.

CS has to be better this year than last. He needs to have confidence in his shot. He is the returning player that logged a ton of time last year. He started to take the ball to the hoop a bit late last season. Let's hope he finds and keeps his shot and continues to stay aggressive with the ball. If he doesn't improve his shot, he may see his playing time cut a bit. Last year we only had one back up guard. This year there will be competition for playing time.

Has anyone seen WR or CR recently? Did either bulk up at all? WR really hit the weight room hard between his freshman and sophomore years--he added something like 20 pounds. I was hoping he put on a few more this offseason. CR really could benefit from a few L-B's as well.

I guess I can understand RM's desire to close practices given his reputation as a horse's @$$, BUT under all previous regimes we were allowed to come to the gym and watch "informal workouts" around this time since the coaches couldn't be there. I was always able to call the BB office and find out when the guys were playing. I am assuming that that is no longer allowed since I got run out of the Fetz last year when I was just walking around.

There's room on the Lindenwood bandwagon...you might even be able to scrimmage against them in practice...

We are striving for big time here. Go try to walk into Duke's practice and just watch, I wonder what would happen.

-if rick is here for 4 more years will we get to read a post like this every year for the next 4 years as i think we have gotten to read a similar post every year so far?

-it is similar to the newscast when snow is predicted, you can guarantee the live shot of a reporter in front of the salt pile

-instead of assuming, why not call the bb office and ask the question? rachel has always been quite nice to me so guess she would be to you as well, if they say yes jump for joy and go watch, if they say no go ahead and post your disgust

There's room on the Lindenwood bandwagon...you might even be able to scrimmage against them in practice...

We are striving for big time here. Go try to walk into Duke's practice and just watch, I wonder what would happen.

Excellent point.

As the Billiken program evolves into a national player and a regularly ranked team, many, many things about the program will change right along with it. As the old saying goes, "Winning changes everything."

Actually, most big time programs understand that opening things up to the fans will increase exposure and support. They have midnight madness and you can see the players play. Reports from open gym abound at schools like that. When we win, the fans will come, but apparently RM is comfortable to wait until then to do anything to get support.

Nick and 05, I not talkin 'bout PRACTICE here. I thought I made it clear in my post that I wasn't talkin 'bout PRACTICE. I was merely talking about seeing the players in an informal setting w/o any coaches present. Seems to me like it would be ok for boosters (or students) to watch the players rather than having to rely on posts like Westy's at the top of this thread.

If you don't agree that that would help generate some excitement now among the fan base then what do you see as the downside?

As consolation to Rickma not opening up his practices to everyone, Eastsidehoe will be opening up his CYO girls basketball team's practices. Below are the details to watch his girls play. All are invited, he just asks that you bring some basketball knowledge and share it with him.

Tues/ Thurs Nights at Rosati - Kain

Nick and 05, I not talkin 'bout PRACTICE here. I thought I made it clear in my post that I wasn't talkin 'bout PRACTICE. I was merely talking about seeing the players in an informal setting w/o any coaches present. Seems to me like it would be ok for boosters (or students) to watch the players rather than having to rely on posts like Westy's at the top of this thread.

If you don't agree that that would help generate some excitement now among the fan base then what do you see as the downside?

We've got some bad logic going here. Bauman doesn't like that nobody can see them in an informal setting yet somehow Westy was able to formulate a post based on a few people watching them in an informal setting...hmmm.

Bauman and all;

I find it quite easy to watch the players do pick-up -- often as I want, in fact. sometimes at Simon, sometimes at the Fetz. I'm curious about your being shooed away. Not sure why, or if that was just a fluke, or what. I've never been handled that way.

My main observations, without being too critical, are as follows: CR has definitely pumped up and improved his general size and presence and I am hoping for a much bigger contribution this year. I have some doubts about the freshmen contributing all that much this year. Physically there are some issues; I know this is a highly touted group and I do see them being terrific -- 2 years from now.

The best new guy RIGHT NOW is not even playing this year--for all you trivia buffs out there, for some odd reason he reminds me just slightly of old Steve Hollar. And yes he is a good shooter from up to 20 feet or so; nice wing span for lanes on defense too; nice feel for the game; good vision. wish we could get about 25 minutes out of him this year....

I would rather not name names and get into specifics and I truly hope I am wrong, but for the moment I see a lot of bench time for the freshmen this year. They will have to work hard for minutes in a tough and physically challenging D1 world, and I wonder how much to expect. I wonder how well the two top "stars" can play defense and bang around in the A10; the other two seem more raw but they have better bodies at present for D1, and already bang around pretty good. we'll see, hope I'm way off, but I have been a little surprised at how "soft" some of them are looking to me .... they have skills, don't get me wrong, but maybe they need a year or 2 before we hand them too much in terms of high expectations. Thankfully, I doubt if we really need that much out of them this year to be good. Now to be GREAT, I think we DO need a lot -- and that's what has me slightly worried.

I'm saying all this to get feedback from others --eyewitnesses, that is -- because honestly I have been a bit surprised by this aspect of the "hot shot" freshmen.

Bauman and all;

I find it quite easy to watch the players do pick-up -- often as I want, in fact. sometimes at Simon, sometimes at the Fetz. I'm curious about your being shooed away. Not sure why, or if that was just a fluke, or what. I've never been handled that way.

My main observations, without being too critical, are as follows: CR has definitely pumped up and improved his general size and presence and I am hoping for a much bigger contribution this year. I have some doubts about the freshmen contributing all that much this year. Physically there are some issues; I know this is a highly touted group and I do see them being terrific -- 2 years from now.

The best new guy RIGHT NOW is not even playing this year--for all you trivia buffs out there, for some odd reason he reminds me just slightly of old Steve Hollar. And yes he is a good shooter from up to 20 feet or so; nice wing span for lanes on defense too; nice feel for the game; good vision. wish we could get about 25 minutes out of him this year....

I would rather not name names and get into specifics and I truly hope I am wrong, but for the moment I see a lot of bench time for the freshmen this year. They will have to work hard for minutes in a tough and physically challenging D1 world, and I wonder how much to expect. I wonder how well the two top "stars" can play defense and bang around in the A10; the other two seem more raw but they have better bodies at present for D1, and already bang around pretty good. we'll see, hope I'm way off, but I have been a little surprised at how "soft" some of them are looking to me .... they have skills, don't get me wrong, but maybe they need a year or 2 before we hand them too much in terms of high expectations. Thankfully, I doubt if we really need that much out of them this year to be good. Now to be GREAT, I think we DO need a lot -- and that's what has me slightly worried.

I'm saying all this to get feedback from others --eyewitnesses, that is -- because honestly I have been a bit surprised by this aspect of the "hot shot" freshmen.

A double secret post where you don't name names but its still obvious who you are talking about...

I wouldn't worry too much about freshmen that look less than perfect physically or on defense during pick-up games in September. They've got time to figure it out and I'm sure at least a couple will.

my observations on rickma playing time is you better play defense or be prepared to sit. and since the competition for playing time will be fierce, i am betting the best defenders will garner the most time.

that said, european/foreign players have always been stereotyped as somewhat soft and lazy defense. then you have chicago kids that traditionally play high school and aau in programs that just want to run the floor. so you got the biggest part of our new players coming in that probably have no idea what they are about to be asked to do from a defensive standpoint. if they dont step up there, they make rickma's decisions a lot easier.

think about salecich last year. at the beginnning of the year, he might have been about the worst out court defender i have seen at slu since prior to grawer being the coach. by the end of the year, i thought christian was a good defender. my guess is he was smart enough to understand, better learn to play defense and give it the needed effort if he wanted to play. i would bet the same will come to pass with the incoming.

my observations on rickma playing time is you better play defense or be prepared to sit. and since the competition for playing time will be fierce, i am betting the best defenders will garner the most time.

that said, european/foreign players have always been stereotyped as somewhat soft and lazy defense. then you have chicago kids that traditionally play high school and aau in programs that just want to run the floor. so you got the biggest part of our new players coming in that probably have no idea what they are about to be asked to do from a defensive standpoint. if they dont step up there, they make rickma's decisions a lot easier.

think about salecich last year. at the beginnning of the year, he might have been about the worst out court defender i have seen at slu since prior to grawer being the coach. by the end of the year, i thought christian was a good defender. my guess is he was smart enough to understand, better learn to play defense and give it the needed effort if he wanted to play. i would bet the same will come to pass with the incoming.

Agree 100% re: CS. He had no clue on defense early in the season but was pretty darn good by the later part of the year.

These observations could apply to virtually all freshmen who are not one and done candidates. Our frosh will be very good in time. But they will take a year or two to develop. I know people thought i was too cautious about this year but it will take the frosh months to understand our offense and defense..if they are fast learners we could see some real improvement late this year but I think it will be next year before they are experienced enough and strong enough to make big contributions.

CS was real solid on the D towards the end of last season. He had to learn on the job. Our incomiong Frosh may not get that luxury. They have experienced players in front of them. It truly may be next year before they truly "get it" on that end of the floor.

As much fun as it is to look forward to 2011-2012 season and how good this team will be, I will focus on the here and now. If we don't really get any major contributions from the the frosh this year--we should still be better than last season as everyone returning should be better. Really, any contributions we get from any of the new recruits will be icing on the cake already. This is one of the best things about having such a young team last season--we really get to watch these guys for their whole careers and experience the beginning of a whole new era of Billiken's basketball as RM leads this prgram into national prominance.

It is a fun time to be a Billiken's fan.

Great to hear that CR hit the gym. He made great progress last season. It wasn't nearly the drop off late in the season when WR sat as it was early. CR was really good on the D end and started to hit some short range shots. If he added a 10-15 lbs he should be even better.

1) Thanks for the info! Nice to see something interesting to read.

2) Doc, I know this has been posted before, but when is the best time to watch pick-up? I would like to stop by on my monthly trip out of the county for Pappy's BBQ.

3) Not surprised by the freshmen. The difference here is that they don't have to start, like the last 2 years. They only have to give some time off the bench. But the transfer sounds like a real player by all accounts.

4) Besides CR and CE, is their any noticeble difference in physique for the returning players: KC or CS for example? I was thinking that CS would be back a little stronger.

Would like to see real progress from both on FT.

mhg

Now you are asking for miracles.

Seriously, though, it would be real hard to be worse. They both have to get at least a little better in that department. I doubt either ever becomes a 75 or even 70% FT shooter, but fingers crossed for 60% out of those two.

This is pure foolishness.

Ever been around these type guys?

They play pick up games with different intensity, some always go 100%, it is in their DNA.

Others, who might actually be smarter, just work on weaknesses, moves, etc.

So a player knows he can take it to the hoop but choses to work on some outside moves, mid range jump shot; an amateur observer might think he is soft, whatever, might not be true.

Some crash the boards, others do not.

Some play hard "D", some do not.

Inconclusive, premature to post this stuff: a shot in the dark.