1st Official Record prediction thread

bauman

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you counting Mo St. and Portland as losses?

2-3 non-con losses and 4-5 conference losses.

The difficulty of the non-con games is probably as follows:

@ Duke

@ MSU

@ Portland

Cancun 3rd win

Georgia

Cancun 2nd win

we'd better win the rest

In conference, I see the difficulty as follows:

@ Temple

@ Richmond

@ Xavier

@ Dayton

@ Duq

vs. Xavier

vs. Dayton

@ GW

@ St. Bon

vs. RI

better win the rest.

I'm not big into just putting Wins or losses on each game as many hover in the 40% to 60% probability range but when I look at them all I think

1) the A-10 may even be better than it was last year. We will lose 4-5 as we should also be better and we lost 5 last year while winning a lot of close games (more than we lost).

2) Our non-con schedule is better than last year and there are too many places to lose the 2nd and 3rd games. It was 1987 since we last won a tourney for pete's sake so assuming 3 wins in Cancun seems very optimistic.

3) if we are a 4 seed in an improved A-10 and take care of business in the non-con season we will dance, although the seed will make us underdogs in the first round...

Just got home from surgery and I am stil on heavy pain killers.

Just thought I would clarify before someone asks me what I am smoking.

30 games, 29-1 only loss to Duke in a close game.

Ok go ahead and laugh! We will see at the end of the season. :D

Why the pessimism here? I don't see how we can lose to Duke. We return everybody who matters, added some talent, and have a long break heading into the big game. Duke loses Scheyer, Zoubek, Thomas, and someone named Jordan Davidson. Singler just got his knee scoped, and though he's slated back for the start of the season, maybe he won't be 100% by that game. Coach K will be preoccupied with coaching the next national team. Their freshman are a bunch of chumps who were just playing high school ball last year.

We'll be the first undefeated national champions since 1976. Anyone who disagrees isn't a true SLU fan.

Greetings from India.

25-6 regular season

11-1 non conf

11-5 A-10

2-1 conf tourny

1-1 NCAA

Westy, stop using that Indian math. 25-6 is 31 Reg season games and we only play 30. Since you break down the Reg season into OOC and Conf, you have us at 11-1 (OOC) and 11-5 (Conf). That adds up to 28 games-again we play 30. Is there a typo somewhere?

5 total losses for the season, sweet sixteen, final four, undefeated national champions...I'm loving this stuff. The optimism is great. Now making it a reality...That will be fun.

I'll stick with my 22-8 regular season (although I will truly be hoping for 25-5)

1-1 in A-10

1-1 in NCAA's

total: 24-10

5 total losses for the season, sweet sixteen, final four, undefeated national champions...I'm loving this stuff. The optimism is great. Now making it a reality...That will be fun.

I'll stick with my 22-8 regular season (although I will truly be hoping for 25-5)

1-1 in A-10

1-1 in NCAA's

total: 24-10

Your 22-8 IS realistic. However, I believe if we win only 22 regular season games we won't qualify for the NCAA tournament.

With your 21-12 final record (including Conf tourney and post-season) in your total of 33 game, it seems like that would mean we have 10 losses b/4 the Conf tour. (This assumes we lose one in the Conf tourn and one in a post-season tourn.)

It's hard for me to see how we could lose 10 games plus one in the A-10 tourn and still get in a post-season tourn. That would be a VERY disappointing season, given the weakness of our OOC schedule. I hope you're wrong!

Roy, where do you see the 10 regular season losses?

georgia, portland, duke, southwest missouri state, 1 loss at cancun, at temple, 2 losses to xavier, at richmond, and 1 upset loss. 1-1 in conference tourney and o-1 in post season.

there is nothing wrong with this season. 5 losses in the conference is probably a second place finish third at worst.

Your 22-8 IS realistic. However, I believe if we win only 22 regular season games we won't qualify for the NCAA tournament.

I think its close but I think it would get us in, remembering:

1) 4 more teams are getting in this year

2) the A-10 may be better than it was last year when 5 teams were in the dance or top 3 seeds of NIT

3) our non-con schedule is better than last year.

We might need 1-2 wins in the A-10 tourney but I think it would probably get the job done (ignoring the million or so variables that could affect it either way :lol: ).

georgia, portland, duke, southwest missouri state, 1 loss at cancun, at temple, 2 losses to xavier, at richmond, and 1 upset loss. 1-1 in conference tourney and o-1 in post season.

there is nothing wrong with this season. 5 losses in the conference is probably a second place finish third at worst.

I'll bet you lunch we don't lose to Mo St. and Portland.

I'll bet you lunch we don't lose to Mo St. and Portland.

no bet. the thread is supposed to be a fun prediction. but honestly without seeing the team i wouldnt bet on anything either way against any team. we all know nothing about the team considering the new players and advancing chemistry makeup of the roster as a whole.

no bet. the thread is supposed to be a fun prediction. but honestly without seeing the team i wouldnt bet on anything either way against any team. we all know nothing about the team considering the new players and advancing chemistry makeup of the roster as a whole.

Chiiiiicken. Balk BalK!

But we do know we have these 8 players returning. It's also pretty widely thought that a players biggest jump in performance is from their soph to jr years.

Everyone of these players will be better than they were when the year ended last year. WR, KM, KC, KS, BC, CR. Cody will be significantly better just due to the circumstances around his playing time last year and we'll add the experience PE will bring as a guard off the bench. That is a good 8. Without injuries that 8 could give us a good season, and possibly be dancing.

Come on, it's just lunch. Hell, you'll win either way, just the pleasure of my company has to be worth the 10 bucks it will cost you. :)

But we do know we have these 8 players returning. It's also pretty widely thought that a players biggest jump in performance is from their soph to jr years.

Everyone of these players will be better than they were when the year ended last year. WR, KM, KC, KS, BC, CR. Cody will be significantly better just due to the circumstances around his playing time last year and we'll add the experience PE will bring as a guard off the bench. That is a good 8. Without injuries that 8 could give us a good season, and possibly be dancing.

Come on, it's just lunch. Hell, you'll win either way, just the pleasure of my company has to be worth the 10 bucks it will cost you. :)

Skip. Staying out of the bet/lunch conversation but otherwise, I agree with you completely. In fact, the entire Board sounds in full agreement when the discussion is about our team generally -- that we were much better with CE (2nd half of season), that we will be even better than last year, etc. but then when the talk gets to particular games (Missouri State, Portland, etc.), we then get worried, the confidence disappears and we start talking about the beating we took over the last 10 years.

I sure hope our team has more confidence and back-bone than its fans.

Skip. Staying out of the bet/lunch conversation but otherwise, I agree with you completely. In fact, the entire Board sounds in full agreement when the discussion is about our team generally -- that we were much better with CE (2nd half of season), that we will be even better than last year, etc. but then when the talk gets to particular games (Missouri State, Portland, etc.), we then get worried, the confidence disappears and we start talking about the beating we took over the last 10 years.

I sure hope our team has more confidence and back-bone than its fans.

+1. If our fans have any illusions of being a tournament-caliber team this year, we can't lose games to the Portlands of the world.

i will compromise. i will bet you lunch we lose more than 6 games (your prediction) on the season. i am not betting on any specific games.

Austin Peay - W

Georgia - W

Tenn State - W

IUPUI - W

at Portland - W

at Duke - L

Jacksonville - W

at Mo State - L

Northeastern - W

Southern Miss - W

Ole Miss - W

Bowling Green - W

Chicago State - W

Dayton - W

at Temple - L

at Duquesne - W

St Joes - W

at Fordham - W

Rhode Island - W

at GW - W

UMass - W

at Xavier - L

La Salle - W

at Richmond - W

at St B - W

Charlotte - W

Duquesne - W

at Dayton - L

Xavier - W

12-2 non-conference, 13-3 in A-10, 2-1 in conference tourney, 27-6 overall, #7 seed in the Dance. If we don't make the Dance or come very close, RM should be on the hot seat. He wasn't hired to make the NIT after in his 4th year.