Barnett Transfers from Toledo to SLU

Barnett was previously mentioned on the board as visiting SLU. It is now official on the SLU site and on STLToday.

Averaged 12.9 ppg and shot 37% 3PT and 80% FT

Should be mature because he will be the age of a JR as a SOPH when he sits out then will have 3 yrs of eligibility. Although I wasn't really that mature as a JR.

http://interact.stltoday.com/blogzone/bill...-toledo-to-slu/

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Barnett was previously mentioned on the board as visiting SLU. It is now official on the SLU site and on STLToday.

Averaged 12.9 ppg and shot 37% 3PT and 80% FT

Should be mature because he will be the age of a JR as a SOPH when he sits out then will have 3 yrs of eligibility. Although I wasn't really that mature as a JR.

http://interact.stltoday.com/blogzone/bill...-toledo-to-slu/

Actually, he's going to have the maturity of a SENIOR during his first year with the Bills. He played a year a ND prep after high school and will redshirt next year. He could be 25 yrs old his last season with us, depending on when he was born. I think this was a huge intangible the coaches took into consideration. Their high level of interest at ND prep may have something to do with liking older, more mature players. Maturity translates to composure on the court.

IMO our weakness on the roster are in the 2, 3 position spots. We don't have a solid go to person like we have at 5 with WR, 1 with KM, or 4 with RL.

But we have an arsenal of players that can come off of the bench for these spots. JB, DE, KC, CS, CE, & PE can all come in and fill those spots. I think teams can spend some time preparing for WR and KM because they know they are going to be playing a lot of minutes, but I think this will be a unforeseen weapon for the Bills. After a few games, all teams scouting reports became guard WR, put 2 or 3 guys on him if you have to. Our reaction to it became find the guy they left open and let him drop the 3. JJ got his spotlight because of this. A lot of defenders would leave him wide open to play help D on WR and one of our other guards around the top would find JJ and he'd have a wide open shot. I'm excited to see JB fill that role. 37% 3 pt shooting and 80% from the line is definitely the kind of player we could use.

Actually, he's going to have the maturity of a SENIOR during his first year with the Bills. He played a year a ND prep after high school and will redshirt next year. He could be 25 yrs old his last season with us, depending on when he was born. I think this was a huge intangible the coaches took into consideration. Their high level of interest at ND prep may have something to do with liking older, more mature players. Maturity translates to composure on the court.

IMO our weakness on the roster are in the 2, 3 position spots. We don't have a solid go to person like we have at 5 with WR, 1 with KM, or 4 with RL.

But we have an arsenal of players that can come off of the bench for these spots. JB, DE, KC, CS, CE, & PE can all come in and fill those spots. I think teams can spend some time preparing for WR and KM because they know they are going to be playing a lot of minutes, but I think this will be a unforeseen weapon for the Bills. After a few games, all teams scouting reports became guard WR, put 2 or 3 guys on him if you have to. Our reaction to it became find the guy they left open and let him drop the 3. JJ got his spotlight because of this. A lot of defenders would leave him wide open to play help D on WR and one of our other guards around the top would find JJ and he'd have a wide open shot. I'm excited to see JB fill that role. 37% 3 pt shooting and 80% from the line is definitely the kind of player we could use.

How quickly we forget and take CE for granted. :lol:

Uhh actually JB cannot "come off the bench". And how can you not call Cody or Kyle for that matter a starter at the 3?

FOX 2 had a piece on Barnett tonight on the 9PM show; Porter was on 101 this afternoon with Rammer talking about getting Jake on the team; I talked to Jake yesterday afternoon, will have more on that soon.

Uhh actually JB cannot "come off the bench". And how can you not call Cody or Kyle for that matter a starter at the 3?

05:

Why would I be talking about his impact during his redshirt year? Of course he can come off the bench in 11-12.

I think WR and KM have their spot sealed as theirs unless they need some time to catch their breath. If Rob Loe lives up to his hype he may do that for the 4 spot. I don't think that any single person has the 2 or 3 spot as theirs.

You said "Cody or Kyle" and that is exactly the case. My point is that no one will have these spots as "theirs. We'll likely see a variety of starters at the 2 and 3 position and the players will spread the minutes pretty well. A lot depends on how good DE is and how much CE improves over the summer, but I still stand by my original point in that our arsenal of players coming in for these positions will be a powerful weapon that teams won't be able to prepare for.

05:

Why would I be talking about his impact during his redshirt year? Of course he can come off the bench in 11-12.

I think WR and KM have their spot sealed as theirs unless they need some time to catch their breath. If Rob Loe lives up to his hype he may do that for the 4 spot. I don't think that any single person has the 2 or 3 spot as theirs.

You said "Cody or Kyle" and that is exactly the case. My point is that no one will have these spots as "theirs. We'll likely see a variety of starters at the 2 and 3 position and the players will spread the minutes pretty well. A lot depends on how good DE is and how much CE improves over the summer, but I still stand by my original point in that our arsenal of players coming in for these positions will be a powerful weapon that teams won't be able to prepare for.

Are you really nitpicking at my choice of and/or? Of course we will see a variety of starters. Majerus did that this year. I am saying that your point of not having legit players at the 3 is wrong. We have Cody and Evans for sure and I think Kyle is a three much like Luke Meyer except quicker.

Are you really nitpicking at my choice of and/or? Of course we will see a variety of starters. Majerus did that this year. I am saying that your point of not having legit players at the 3 is wrong. We have Cody and Evans for sure and I think Kyle is a three much like Luke Meyer except quicker.

I think Luke was our 4 under UB, but may be wrong. Why are we worried so much about a 3? Granted, we'd all like a really athletic slasher with a good mid range or 3 point shot, but I think CE will fill that role capably next year and Evans will hopefully develop to give us a nice change of pace guy to spell him. I'd also expect CE will be pushed hard this summer to get stronger and be drilled on getting to the hoop instead of just popping his 3. As for inside presence, RL will help, albeit it may take him a while, but CR came on strong and WR was playing like a beast at the end of last year. Strength and conditioning are key over the summer for the inside players. Teams like X, Temple, and Rhody had way too many 2nd chance opps last year off our defensive boards. Rhody tournament game comes to mind as the rebounding differential was pretty sad. That's got to get fixed over the summer, but if you've got WR, RL, BC, or CR on the floor at the same time that should give us the length to snare missed shots if other players are blocking out instead of just waiting for an outlet pass that never came.

Wow, I guess CE is not a solid go-to player. He is only going to be one of our 2 best players whereever he is at: 3 or 4.

05:

Cody, Kyle, and Willie will play at least 25 mpg and Kwamain will play closer to 30. You can bank on those minutes.

I have a good idea on how to use him during his redshirt year.

Gee, I thought Bonwich was saying that he would have a year in practice to show the rest of the team how to shoot 80% from the line. ;)

I think Luke was our 4 under UB, but may be wrong. Why are we worried so much about a 3? Granted, we'd all like a really athletic slasher with a good mid range or 3 point shot, but I think CE will fill that role capably next year and Evans will hopefully develop to give us a nice change of pace guy to spell him. I'd also expect CE will be pushed hard this summer to get stronger and be drilled on getting to the hoop instead of just popping his 3. As for inside presence, RL will help, albeit it may take him a while, but CR came on strong and WR was playing like a beast at the end of last year. Strength and conditioning are key over the summer for the inside players. Teams like X, Temple, and Rhody had way too many 2nd chance opps last year off our defensive boards. Rhody tournament game comes to mind as the rebounding differential was pretty sad. That's got to get fixed over the summer, but if you've got WR, RL, BC, or CR on the floor at the same time that should give us the length to snare missed shots if other players are blocking out instead of just waiting for an outlet pass that never came.

3 and 5 do worry us but what intriques me most is RM running off people with talent that don't fit his system

in one year and then the patience he shows for KC. I still think we will end up having years of teams with

a true 1,2,3,4,5 under RM as I still think that is his traditional choice in recruiting. However, his staff keeps recruiting combo guards and we all thought we were going to play three guards and two forwards last year.

If you have a better insight please let us know.

If Kyle is playing 25+ minutes per game, let's hope he gets more FG and FT attempts than he did in the final game against VCU.

I'd like to see Kyle average 10 shots a game. Don't forget though he lead the team in asst's, was the teams leading rebounder among guards, and was 2nd to KM in steals.

Like everyone, he has areas he needs to improve. Kyle was hurt in the final game against VCU, and yes, he had a very bad game. Whew, glad we cleared that up.

VCU did a good job on KC. He couldn't shake free.

He played 33 minutes that game without putting up a shot or getting to the line. That wasn't the only time he played big minutes without putting up many shots on offense. You could understand it a little more if he were a pure point guard, but KM is at the point quite a bit of the time. Kyle plays good defense and led the team in assists (3.3 per game) and assists to TO ratio (1.56 per game). He also led the team in minutes this year but was 5th in FG attempts and 6th in PPG.

Amazingly, he only attempted 22 FTs in 36 games. In about half the minutes, Justin Jordan attempted 51 FTs last year. Say what you want, but that points to some sort of lack of aggressiveness on offense IMO.

If we were a big scoring team, I'd feel better about a PG who didn't shoot much getting a lot of minutes. Lat year, we only averaged 63 PPG and Kyle wasn't playing the point most of the time.

I like Kyle, but I'm thinking the overall talent increase on the team will cut into his minutes if he can't figure out a way to get shots off and make them. I still think he'll be a key contributor, but I think his PT will look more like 20-25 minutes/game by the end of next season.

I'd like to see Kyle average 10 shots a game. Don't forget though he lead the team in asst's, was the teams leading rebounder among guards, and was 2nd to KM in steals.

Like everyone, he has areas he needs to improve. Kyle was hurt in the final game against VCU, and yes, he had a very bad game. Whew, glad we cleared that up.

As I pointed out in my last post, it was bigger than the last game. What's funny about this is during the season you were making posts complaining about his lack of shots compared to the minutes he was playing. Now you're trying to be a smart aleck about it. Why the flip flop, skip?

He played 33 minutes that game without putting up a shot or getting to the line. That wasn't the only time he played big minutes without putting up many shots on offense. You could understand it a little more if he were a pure point guard, but KM is at the point quite a bit of the time. Kyle plays good defense and led the team in assists (3.3 per game) and assists to TO ratio (1.56 per game). He also led the team in minutes this year but was 5th in FG attempts and 6th in PPG.

Amazingly, he only attempted 22 FTs in 36 games. In about half the minutes, Justin Jordan attempted 51 FTs last year. Say what you want, but that points to some sort of lack of aggressiveness on offense IMO.

If we were a big scoring team, I'd feel better about a PG who didn't shoot much getting a lot of minutes. Lat year, we only averaged 63 PPG and Kyle wasn't playing the point most of the time.

I like Kyle, but I'm thinking the overall talent increase on the team will cut into his minutes if he can't figure out a way to get shots off and make them. I still think he'll be a key contributor, but I think his PT will look more like 20-25 minutes/game by the end of next season.

I think you are correct, Kyle will have to increase his production. I'd bet he will though. We know RM wants him to shoot more. I don't think he needs to be the guy that jacks up 15 shots a game, but he needs to be able and willing to take advantage of opportunities when they are there. I'd like to see 8-10 shots a game from Kyle this year. More shots will equal more f/t attempts, especially if he becomes more agressive.

I think you are correct, Kyle will have to increase his production. I'd bet he will though. We know RM wants him to shoot more. I don't think he needs to be the guy that jacks up 15 shots a game, but he needs to be able and willing to take advantage of opportunities when they are there. I'd like to see 8-10 shots a game from Kyle this year. More shots will equal more f/t attempts, especially if he becomes more agressive.

Whew, glad we cleared that up.

i couldnt care less how many shots kyle takes. he should take what comes to him. and maybe there is a case for him passing up shots. but he is also the most aware of the rest of the team and imo the best passer on the team. if ellis and casssity are both open i have no problem with kyle passing it to ellis. same with mitchell and reed.

i love he is the stabilizing force of the team makes the fewest mistakes and does most everything right. i love he takes on the best outside player on the other team game after game and typically does a great job.

there is a reason kyle plays the minutes he plays. and there are far more questions about most every player on the team besides kyle so it boggles my mind that people are constantly questioning cassity.

I believe most under estimate the playing time for Butch Cassity, given RM's statement at the golf banquet that KC was the team's most valuable player.

It is part of the ESPN mentality. If he isn't filling up the stat sheet and doesn't have a great highlight real he can't be all that good. Many people don't watch the game close enough to see what he brings to the team.

i couldnt care less how many shots kyle takes. he should take what comes to him. and maybe there is a case for him passing up shots. but he is also the most aware of the rest of the team and imo the best passer on the team. if ellis and casssity are both open i have no problem with kyle passing it to ellis. same with mitchell and reed.

i love he is the stabilizing force of the team makes the fewest mistakes and does most everything right. i love he takes on the best outside player on the other team game after game and typically does a great job.

there is a reason kyle plays the minutes he plays. and there are far more questions about most every player on the team besides kyle so it boggles my mind that people are constantly questioning cassity.

you are absolutely correct Roy. Everyone is ready go give someone else kc's minutes. Next year his minutes will remain the same.

I like Cassity! Once a game he seems to make on a sloppy turn over and then he seems to increase his concentration and has no problems the rest of the game. We need his teammates to steal the ball from him a few times during warmups. Maybe that would eliminate the problem. ;)