Barnett Transfers from Toledo to SLU

I like Cassity! Once a game he seems to make on a sloppy turn over and then he seems to increase his concentration and has no problems the rest of the game. We need his teammates to steal the ball from him a few times during warmups. Maybe that would eliminate the problem. ;)

Good observation. I think there comes a point in a game where fatigue plays tricks with your mind as well as your body. Our strength and conditioning has improved ten-fold from where we were five years ago -- that includes our S&C team and our upgraded facilities, but even the best-conditioned athletes hit walls. And these kids have to balance an academic and social load too.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Kyle, but I'm thinking the overall talent increase on the team will cut into his minutes if he can't figure out a way to get shots off and make them.

i don't think the issue w/ KC is ability at all. he just needs RM to ###### in his towels for so long and so hard that he's just sleepwalking around campus putting up contested jumpers and trying to dunk on everyone. RM should scream out PUSSSSSSSYYYYYY!!! every time he passes up a shot. i'll start doing that. that should help.

This kid looks like he can be a heck of a player.

It will be nice to have a tall long guard who can slash to the basket or shoot the three.

I cant say that I blame the kid for transferring besides getting rid of the coach that recruited him Toledo also went 4-29 last year and lost 19 in a row. Ouch!

Being on a rebuilding team can have its advantages but Toledo needs to do a lot more than rebuild.

i couldnt care less how many shots kyle takes. he should take what comes to him. and maybe there is a case for him passing up shots. but he is also the most aware of the rest of the team and imo the best passer on the team. if ellis and casssity are both open i have no problem with kyle passing it to ellis. same with mitchell and reed.

i love he is the stabilizing force of the team makes the fewest mistakes and does most everything right. i love he takes on the best outside player on the other team game after game and typically does a great job.

there is a reason kyle plays the minutes he plays. and there are far more questions about most every player on the team besides kyle so it boggles my mind that people are constantly questioning cassity.

I believe even RM urges Cassity to shoot more often. Whether he should pass to Ellis or not depends on who has the best look. An extra pass isn't always a good thing. If you have a shot you can make consistently you should take it. I didn't question Kyle, merely stated I'd like to see him look for his shot more often.

you are absolutely correct Roy. Everyone is ready go give someone else kc's minutes. Next year his minutes will remain the same.

Do you read the board? Most people are in favor of Kyle getting his minutes.

I don't understand how something that started out as Kyle should look for his shot more .... which is all Kevin or I said, turns into wanting to give his minutes to someone else.

I don't understand how something that started out as Kyle should look for his shot more .... which is all Kevin or I said, turns into wanting to give his minutes to someone else.

If anything saying a guy needs to look for his shot more is a form of praise.

i'm not talking about this thread. i'm talking about previous threads and how minutes would be split, just as in other threads everyone has said that KC should look for his shot more. i don't understand your confusion. I think we can agree that kc is a important asset to the team and that includes more than just scoring. then again maybe we can't agree.

i'm not talking about this thread. i'm talking about previous threads and how minutes would be split, just as in other threads everyone has said that KC should look for his shot more. i don't understand your confusion. I think we can agree that kc is a important asset to the team and that includes more than just scoring. then again maybe we can't agree.

KC should look for his shot more

No, it was several games over the season. The same message you were delivering a couple of months ago. I'm happy to have you on board, skip.

My thoughts haven't changed. I have always thought KC should shoot more. I've also pointed out that he did increase his attempts as the season went on and noted his increased 3 pt %.

you are absolutely correct Roy. Everyone is ready go give someone else kc's minutes. Next year his minutes will remain the same.

I took when you said "everyone is ready to give someone else KC's minutes" to mean you were stating that everyone is ready to give someone else KC's minutes or by everyone you meant at least the majority of everyone.

Do you think his minutes will increase, decrease, or stay the same?

I think most of us think they will decrease, not due to faults in Kyle's game, but due to increased talent and depth on the team. However, Kyle does need to look for his shot more. I'd bet Kyle would tell you the same thing. RM has, numerous times.

I like Cassity! Once a game he seems to make on a sloppy turn over and then he seems to increase his concentration and has no problems the rest of the game. We need his teammates to steal the ball from him a few times during warmups. Maybe that would eliminate the problem. ;)

Mitchell's A/T ratio is worse than KC's and he needs to improve on it. And he needs to do a better job of finding the open man in the post.

Reed needs to improve his terrible FT shooting, poor D, and get stronger and hang onto the ball better when getting a rebound.

Ellis needs to improve physically and his D.

Conk needs to cut out the crazy fouls that get the attention of the refs.

And from the looks of every recruit save Jett, they need to add a lot of muscle to get onto the court or they are going to get pushed around like this team did the first half of last year.

i couldnt care less how many shots kyle takes. he should take what comes to him. and maybe there is a case for him passing up shots. but he is also the most aware of the rest of the team and imo the best passer on the team. if ellis and casssity are both open i have no problem with kyle passing it to ellis. same with mitchell and reed.

i love he is the stabilizing force of the team makes the fewest mistakes and does most everything right. i love he takes on the best outside player on the other team game after game and typically does a great job.

there is a reason kyle plays the minutes he plays. and there are far more questions about most every player on the team besides kyle so it boggles my mind that people are constantly questioning cassity.

Kyle cooled off a bit at the end of the year, but he still had the 2nd highest FG% among guys who aren't shooting in the paint most of the time.

KM .450

KC .389

JJ .380

CE .376

FJ .338

CS .335

I think Kyle is a good role player for this team. I'm not sure how you can explain 22 FT attempts in 36 games while leading the team in minutes, but I do appreciate his defense and hustle. RM likes KC, and he'll get to play. With the extra depth at guard next year and a healthy KM, I think Kyle's minutes will go down if he doesn't get a little more aggressive.

I took when you said "everyone is ready to give someone else KC's minutes" to mean you were stating that everyone is ready to give someone else KC's minutes or by everyone you meant at least the majority of everyone.

I think most of us think they will decrease, not due to faults in Kyle's game, but due to increased talent and depth on the team. However, Kyle does need to look for his shot more. I'd bet Kyle would tell you the same thing. RM has, numerous times.

i would agree with you 99.9%. i do not disagree with anything that you have stated. i think kc's minutes may decrease a small amount, but not much. I predict he will start looking for his shot more and predict that he will have a highter % than last year and more important is that fact that KM thrives when he is out there. It will be difficult to take minutes away from KC. With that said his minutes will take a small hit. I agree with you and RM. See we do agree.

I absolutely love KC. Our favorite player. Had a great year, improved tremendously over last year.

That being said, I hope his minutes go down. He was clearly dragging toward the end of the season last year, and had lost a little of his bounce. Very few D1 players put in the minutes/g that he did last year. His number was inflated as there was no one else to go to. That will not be the case next year. He will be a better player for playing less minutes....IMHO.

mhg

skip i dont think cassity's minutes will decrease any more than mitchell, reed or ellis minutes. i think those four are the givens and until a player rises up and proves he is better for the team than those four their minutes will coincide. now i think all four may lose minutes due to more quality depth (yet to be seen from our incoming recruits) that deserves to be on the floor more.

the spot that should be discussed is not cassity, it is salecich. while christian's defense and passing improved all season, his shooting was not good and in total, i would label him the weakest link who's minutes are most in jeopardy.

I absolutely love KC. Our favorite player. Had a great year, improved tremendously over last year.

That being said, I hope his minutes go down. He was clearly dragging toward the end of the season last year, and had lost a little of his bounce. Very few D1 players put in the minutes/g that he did last year. His number was inflated as there was no one else to go to. That will not be the case next year. He will be a better player for playing less minutes....IMHO.

mhg

booster, we all hope our incoming players are everything and more than advertised. but until they come in and actually perform we just dont know. there are many billiken examples we could pull out to support what i am saying but just last year, i think most believed john smith was going to be a big time player for us and all in all he just didnt pan out and demonstrated a lack of rickma level basketball savvy imo. yeah he could run and jump. but we dont get points to beat xavier for winning the game decathlon. a comparison of cassity to smith is all one needs to do to see what i am saying. one would guess a trip to the playground and a day of one on one call your own fouls would likely lead to a jon smith dominating day. same with a slam dunk contest and likely a 200 yard dash race. but when you play basketball, i would take kyle cassity as my preferred basketball player any day.

same might be the case with the incoming recruits. none of us know because we dont get to see practice, but i would bet that the other players get tired of rickma using cassity as the example of how to (or not) do something. it will be very interesting to see if cassity's minutes go down. i will bet a hot dog and a coke zero that if they do, this upcoming team will be something very very special. because i simply do not believe that cassity will be "out basketballed". and those non stat sheet columns are what drives majerus.

I see Salecich stepping up.

IMO he played better as a freshman than KC did, he is significantly more physical, plays strong "D", and can take it to the hoop... was a bit reluctant to do so. But more assertive than KC was as a frosh.

BUT now with one year under his belt, CS will hit the "3"'s, he is a shooter, though unimpressive fresh yr, next yr he will have the confidence and hit the shot that we need from the 2 slot.

Definitely will be the case if he improves as much from frosh to soph as KC did... got to hand it to KC, one of "most improved" players in yrs along with WR.

But KC would not take the shots... not acceptable, he passed plenty of opportunities. Plenty. Too many.

We shall see.

I see Salecich stepping up.

IMO he played better as a freshman than KC did, he is significantly more physical, plays strong "D", and can take it to the hoop... was a bit reluctant to do so. But more assertive than KC was as a frosh.

BUT now with one year under his belt, CS will hit the "3"'s, he is a shooter, though unimpressive fresh yr, next yr he will have the confidence and hit the shot that we need from the 2 slot.

Definitely will be the case if he improves as much from frosh to soph as KC did... got to hand it to KC, one of "most improved" players in yrs along with WR.

But KC would not take the shots... not acceptable, he passed plenty of opportunities. Plenty. Too many.

We shall see.

not sure how you can compare the freshmen seasons considering cassity played backup to kevin lisch his freshman season. not even close to apples and apples opportunities.

why do you assume salacich will now make more shots? cassity did make a higher percentage of shots. he just didnt shoot as much. there is something to be said for not missing too imo.

the main thing that impressed me about salecich was his improvement of his defense from november to march. he was basically just a rec center defender in november. he was legit by march. so i indeed wont give up on salecich. he has rickma thinking in him no doubt.

not sure how you can compare the freshmen seasons considering cassity played backup to kevin lisch his freshman season. not even close to apples and apples opportunities.

why do you assume salacich will now make more shots? cassity did make a higher percentage of shots. he just didnt shoot as much. there is something to be said for not missing too imo.

the main thing that impressed me about salecich was his improvement of his defense from november to march. he was basically just a rec center defender in november. he was legit by march. so i indeed wont give up on salecich. he has rickma thinking in him no doubt.

No major disagreement, as season ticket holder I am aware KC was a backup, KC just seemed timid and overmatched all freshman yr.

His improvement was incredible, I think a lot of him, I just do not see much upside unless he takes and hits many more outside shots.

Might happen, too, then "good"!

CS at the end of the yr was gaining confidence, and IMO will wind up being a strong outside shooter. Could be wrong, of course. But I see huge upside for him based on where he was and end of frosh yr compared to where KC was.

NO ONE really knows how some of these kids will or will not improve.

We shall see... I lean to Salecich having much more impact next yr as stated.

we'll have to agree to disagree because the ONLY thing i see salacich advantage over cassity is a willingness to TAKE a shot. when he starts actually MAKING more shots, then we got something to talk about.

sure we want agression. but considering we arent the number one offensive rebounding team in the country, count me on the side of showing some constraint offensively when you arent producing the percentages. too often for the billikens a missed shot (especially from the three range) is as good as a turnover.

skip i dont think cassity's minutes will decrease any more than mitchell, reed or ellis minutes. i think those four are the givens and until a player rises up and proves he is better for the team than those four their minutes will coincide. now i think all four may lose minutes due to more quality depth (yet to be seen from our incoming recruits) that deserves to be on the floor more.

the spot that should be discussed is not cassity, it is salecich. while christian's defense and passing improved all season, his shooting was not good and in total, i would label him the weakest link who's minutes are most in jeopardy.

If you noticed in my first post regarding this which was in response to someone stating that the only guarantees were KM and WR, I didn't list CS as a guarantee for minutes. What I wrote was I believed WR, CE, and KC would get at least 25 mpg and I think KM will get a little more. I have consistently defended Kyle on the board, in fact I'm the one that looked up his stats and made note his 3pt % in conference play was dramatically improved and was about 37%. I've consistently said I think he'll shoot high 30's low 40's from the 3 next year which is why I want him to take it more. I think Kyle brings a great deal to the table. We have been a better team the last 2 years when he's been on the floor. As we bring in better players Kyle is going to need to a bit more agressive looking for his shot which I believe he will do.