I can't believe RM

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It might be a good thing to get at least one top-25 recruiting class before we proclaim ourselves to be a top-10 team...................

i personally dont believe we will ever have that kind of a recruiting class. i think rickma doesnt want to deal wth the persona and ego that typically comes with those kind of recruits. rickma is more of the team than 5 individual coach. and will always bring us players that are slightly below the top recruit line. he will leave that to the likes of self and calipari.

It might be a good thing to get at least one top-25 recruiting class before we proclaim ourselves to be a top-10 team...................

I don't think we will be getting a top 25 rated recruiting class anytime soon, BUT that doesn't mean we won't be a top 25 team. We need to remember a couple of things: Top 25 classes are generally made up of a few top-25-50 players, many of whom will NOT stay for more than one or two yrs, therefore, their schools are not adding one great recruiting class on top of one or two previous top 25 classes (see KY, NC, KA, Duke, SYR, MEMP); Some of these top recruiting classes will lose top recruits due to off-court issues, e.g. grades and/or personal issues; RM is a very good recruiter and evaluator of talent but historically has not gone after the one-and-done type recruits-his style is to get really good, somewhat under the radar kids (KM, WR, CE, CS, KC, MM, DE) who he can coach-up into an above average UNIT/TEAM, as opposed to a bunch of individual talents.

I would suggest that NONE of our current players/recruits was a top-75-100 recruit, but based on their final yr in HS some should have been, e.g. KM and MM. Going after that type player does not get you a top 25 recruiting ranking by the "in-the-know" recruiting services, but that's ok-our team ranking will always be higher than our recruiting ranking.

Having said all that, the difference between a top 25 and a top 50 ranking is very slim-a made basket here or there or a foul call at the end of a game, in 4-5 games a year can be the difference. Top 25 is still a lofty goal for a team that didn't even make the NIT last year. Not saying we can't do it, just that it won't be a walk in the park. Lots of things need to go right for us. The good news is we have the ability for a number of those things to happen-see following list:

-CE regains his 3-pt shot

-KM repeats his SOPH yr

-CS improves his outside shot by 5%

-WR & CR continue to add weight and make some improvement from last year

-KC takes (and makes) a few more shots per minute of PT

-BC improves his 15-18 foot shot

-2 of the 4 incoming recruits (MM, DE, RL, JJ) play at or above expected levels &

-Keep away from key injuries

In my opinion, most of those things have a reasonable chance of happening-now it's up to the poll voters to recognize us. Hopefully, articles like the Forde one on ESPN.com will us the pub needed to knock down the top-25 door.

Speaking of Butler, they got a commitment for 2011 from local star Roosevelt Jones of O'Fallon HS. 6'4 point guard.

jones is indeed a good player. but he isnt a point guard and he isnt 6'4" is my guess. this past year at ofallon he primarily played power forward (in the best game i saw him play where he scored 28 points with about 20 rebounds he didnt dribble the ball once the entire game and i dont think he passed out of the lane once).

i am sure he could develop into a guard. and i could see him become justin love who also had a similar road to college ball playing center in high school.

jones is very good though. has a college body now and is athletic.

i personally dont believe we will ever have that kind of a recruiting class. i think rickma doesnt want to deal wth the persona and ego that typically comes with those kind of recruits. rickma is more of the team than 5 individual coach. and will always bring us players that are slightly below the top recruit line. he will leave that to the likes of self and calipari.

Completely agree with this post -

Rick is a great talent evaluator who is able to see ability before it is apparent to others (see Andre Miller, Keith Van Horn, Michael Doleac, Kwamain Mitchell, Willie Reed, and many more).

Additionally, I don't think there is a better practice coach/game preparation coach in college basketball. I would say Rick is one of the 5-10 best college coaches in the country. When you've got a top 10 coach, you don't need top 10 talent to get ranked in the top 10 (although I must admit Beal's got a beautiful J) :lol:

Me and you BK first to proclaim the Bills 2012 National Champions.

Thanks for the espn link, that was nice to read.

Until SLU gets WR significantly more help on the boards, we won't even be A10 champions.

jones is indeed a good player. but he isnt a point guard and he isnt 6'4" is my guess. this past year at ofallon he primarily played power forward (in the best game i saw him play where he scored 28 points with about 20 rebounds he didnt dribble the ball once the entire game and i dont think he passed out of the lane once).

i am sure he could develop into a guard. and i could see him become justin love who also had a similar road to college ball playing center in high school.

jones is very good though. has a college body now and is athletic.

A lot of guys play out of position in high school, but he's best at pg. He's great in transition and can bully his way to the bucket on anyone in the halfcourt and is a good passer. The Justin Love comparioson seems a little odd to because shooting was a strength for Love in my opinion and is a the main weakness in Jones' game at this point.

Butler is a testament to not needing a top 20 recruiting class.

Butler is a testament at consistently getting Top 20 classes, just not going by the definitions of people who arent qualified to make that determination.

For example, Shelvin Mack and Gordon Hayward were ALWAYS Top 50 players in their classes. The fact that Scout and Rivals are fairly incompetent notwithstanding.

A lot of guys play out of position in high school, but he's best at pg. He's great in transition and can bully his way to the bucket on anyone in the halfcourt and is a good passer. The Justin Love comparioson seems a little odd to because shooting was a strength for Love in my opinion and is a the main weakness in Jones' game at this point.

love was an in the lane only center in high school. that is straight from his own father. it was the reason he wasnt recruited well out of high school. he only became a guard when he went to juco where he showed he could also shoot the ball from the outside.