Transfer visiting SLU

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still say pass on the transfer. If we are truly as good as we think we will be next year we should be able to attract some pretty good recruits next year.

Hopefully the "merry-go-round" of players coming and going stops. If that is the case then we truly have only two scholarships to give next year. Save these two scholarships unless we can get someone who can contribute next year.

I still say pass on the transfer. If we are truly as good as we think we will be next year we should be able to attract some pretty good recruits next year.

Hopefully the "merry-go-round" of players coming and going stops. If that is the case then we truly have only two scholarships to give next year. Save these two scholarships unless we can get someone who can contribute next year.

By the time next year is over, it will be too late to get good recruits in the class of 2011 for the most part. We need next year to help with a strong class of 2012.

If the transfers are good, they seem like a perfect fit to me.

Yep, we'll go with your approach, not Majerus. ;)

agreed. save it for Bradley Beal if he doesn't sign in the fall.

Nate reporting via Twitter that this is official.

Makings of a pipeline? He'll be the third kid out of Notre Dame Prep we've signed in the past 2 years (Yes, I know Banchy left). Just something to think about. ND prep puts out a lot of good kids.

Well, I really wasn't too excited about signing Jake, but if RM wants him then that is okay with me. One thing I like about RM is that he likes to have a full squad. No more saving scholarships for next year like Uncle Brad liked to do.

I'm really excited about this kid. I really don't have any basis other than he scored 13 points as a freshman.

I asked a toledo fan what they thought and here is what I got:

barnett had an interesting year in toledo. actually, a quite extraordinary one. he was a late modestly regarded prep school recruit. in summer pickup game before the season he made a good impression on both his future teammates and coaches. when fall practice begins our former coach gene cross makes him team co-captain, as a frosh who hasn't played a game.

season starts and he is one of our go to players. first couple of games he and frosh gunnar steven albrecht played off each other and we looked pretty good on offense. then, barnett became more of the focus, albrecht, barnett's roommate, shockingly transfers out, and our offense-run through barnett, a freshman- became one of the nation's worst. overall, barnett put up big numbers in most evrything all yr. points, 3s, misses, turnonvers, rebounds, etc... other than assists or wins.

lots of UT fans really liked him. as a player i thought he he was a good prospect as that role player who is your 3rd or 4th scoring option, versatile, and plays hard. i'd take his numbers cautiously. he was in over his head as the go to guy here, but can put the ball in the hole. decent athlete, not quick but lanky and not slow. can make long jump shots, likes to drive the lane, finishes w finesse or draws fouls (or gets his ish sent into the 3rd row), skinny but will rebound. in an awful 28 loss season when everyone on the team gave in at some point, barnett played the hardest.

as a student and person he was a straight A student so far here, and has a clear command of the english language, nice looks and good teeth. personally, i found him a bit goody goody. always saying the right thing, always pointing to heaven before each free throw, always stepping up to show support for his coach,while everyone else was questioning how cross was handling the job... maybe he's just naive and pure hearted, but he had this look like a hippie dancing in a flower meadow while everything was falling apart around him.

sounds like KC, which could be good or bad depending on your perspective.

To me he sounds like what we all wanted JR to be, but he has actually proven his ability to do that at the D-1 level. Also seems like he'll be content as a role player on a winning team.

as a student and person he was a straight A student so far here, and has a clear command of the english language, nice looks and good teeth.

NH-

Sounds like we should take that opinion of him with a grain of salt...from the above line it sounds like you were talking to his boyfriend.

To me he sounds like what we all wanted JR to be, but he has actually proven his ability to do that at the D-1 level. Also seems like he'll be content as a role player on a winning team.

why do you assume he'll be content to be a role player?

RM says starting is for highschool but we have seen him take Conklin down a notch last year with bad ankles and he has to love the effort and tone

Conklin brings to the game. Based on that I say minutes are going to the hot hand on offense and persistence on defence.

I am hoping we have upgraded the slots or roles that JJ and JS Smith held and am excited for next year; if we get one more recruit let him be a

5 that will rebound.

RM says starting is for highschool but we have seen him take Conklin down a notch last year with bad ankles and he has to love the effort and tone

Conklin brings to the game. Based on that I say minutes are going to the hot hand on offense and persistence on defence.

I am hoping we have upgraded the slots or roles that JJ and JS Smith held and am excited for next year; if we get one more recruit let him be a

5 that will rebound.

Amen on that last statement.

Just reading into his willingness to give up the go-to role on a bad team, sit out a year and then come in to a team where he won't be the most talented player. I could be wrong, but it just doesn't seem like something a guy who thinks he's a superstar would do.

Just reading into his willingness to give up the go-to role on a bad team, sit out a year and then come in to a team where he won't be the most talented player. I could be wrong, but it just doesn't seem like something a guy who thinks he's a superstar would do.

Maybe he wants to win and didn't feel like he could do that at Toledo. Leaving a poor team to come to a team where he sees a chance to win doesn't mean he's satisfied to be a role player. Maybe he feels he's good enough to be a leader on a winning team.

Maybe he wants to win and didn't feel like he could do that at Toledo. Leaving a poor team to come to a team where he sees a chance to win doesn't mean he's satisfied to be a role player. Maybe he feels he's good enough to be a leader on a winning team.

And hopefully he is.

barnett had an interesting year in toledo. actually, a quite extraordinary one. he was a late modestly regarded prep school recruit. in summer pickup game before the season he made a good impression on both his future teammates and coaches. when fall practice begins our former coach gene cross makes him team co-captain, as a frosh who hasn't played a game.

season starts and he is one of our go to players. first couple of games he and frosh gunnar steven albrecht played off each other and we looked pretty good on offense. then, barnett became more of the focus, albrecht, barnett's roommate, shockingly transfers out, and our offense-run through barnett, a freshman- became one of the nation's worst. overall, barnett put up big numbers in most evrything all yr. points, 3s, misses, turnonvers, rebounds, etc... other than assists or wins.

lots of UT fans really liked him. as a player i thought he he was a good prospect as that role player who is your 3rd or 4th scoring option, versatile, and plays hard. i'd take his numbers cautiously. he was in over his head as the go to guy here, but can put the ball in the hole. decent athlete, not quick but lanky and not slow. can make long jump shots, likes to drive the lane, finishes w finesse or draws fouls (or gets his ish sent into the 3rd row), skinny but will rebound. in an awful 28 loss season when everyone on the team gave in at some point, barnett played the hardest.

as a student and person he was a straight A student so far here, and has a clear command of the english language, nice looks and good teeth. personally, i found him a bit goody goody. always saying the right thing, always pointing to heaven before each free throw, always stepping up to show support for his coach,while everyone else was questioning how cross was handling the job... maybe he's just naive and pure hearted, but he had this look like a hippie dancing in a flower meadow while everything was falling apart around him.

What's got into this Board?

Who could possibly be against him? The guy's got command of the english language (which is really important since the 2 Aussies and now the KIWI does speak kind of funny), by all accounts to date, he has "nice looks" (no one wants to sit for hours in the airports waiting for the non-charter flights and have to look at someon who lacks "nice looks") and, even more, he's obviously not British since he has "good teeth". :D Sounds like one hell of a ball player to me. :D

What's got into this Board?

Who could possibly be against him? The guy's got command of the english language (which is really important since the 2 Aussies and now the KIWI does speak kind of funny), by all accounts to date, he has "nice looks" (no one wants to sit for hours in the airports waiting for the non-charter flights and have to look at someon who lacks "nice looks") and, even more, he's obviously not British since he has "good teeth". :D Sounds like one hell of a ball player to me. :D

I think the good teeth also tell us he doesn't do meth. I don't know what more we could ask for.