Keep the team, kill the rumors

bk18

Couldn't disagree more. JS has d-1 ability. It may not be what RM looks for in his system, but JS has an enormous amount of upside. Whether he reaches his full potential is up to him and the amount of work he puts in at the gym and lifting. I'd hate to see him leave, his energy and pure athleticism helped us win several games this year. Certainly, he has lots to work on, but D-1 schools will line up for JS, if he is really leaving.

I agree and hope he stays. John Smith has Dennis Rodman type hops. He just needs to learn how to play.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree and hope he stays. John Smith has Dennis Rodman type hops. He just needs to learn how to play.

I wouldn't say that he needs to learn how to play. He needs to work on improving his game in some areas, as well as put on some size. With added size and strength, I think we would see a big improvement on the floor next season.

Agreed. JS is the type of player we rarely have at SLU. I love his potential. Hope he stays and grows as a player.

I was very surprised with JS's lack of playing time in the CBI tournament, especially given our short bench. He is already a tremendous shot blocker and rebounder, and with added strength and conditioning will become a terrific defensive player. I also saw an ability to knock down the 12 to 15 foot jumper when he was left open. If he couldn't get minutes this year, I think he might benefit from a redshirt year, and then come back as a sophmore when WR and BC are seniors. He is going to be a very good player, and I hope it is for SLU.

Couldn't disagree more. JS has d-1 ability. It may not be what RM looks for in his system, but JS has an enormous amount of upside. Whether he reaches his full potential is up to him and the amount of work he puts in at the gym and lifting. I'd hate to see him leave, his energy and pure athleticism helped us win several games this year. Certainly, he has lots to work on, but D-1 schools will line up for JS, if he is really leaving.

Maybe Smith just wants to be closer to home.

Smith is a tweener (3 and 4). seems like he'd be better served playing a 4 at a Div 2 school

How far we have come....

If Brad had signed JS, we'd all be completely excited about both his present play and, of course, his future. Most freshman, of course, don't play or contribute much their Freshman year. Instead, they learn, get better and develop while the Jr./Sr. ahead of them play. The problem as it relates with JS, of course, is that we had no Jrs. or Srs. Instead, he had to (and still must) sit and watch Sophomores (BC and WR) play ahead of him. Also, he then appeared to fall behind fellow Freshman (CR) and then, half way thru the year, fell behind fellow Freshman CE. Now, RM goes and signs RL as another instant contributor and JS appears to have fallen behind a guy even younger than him. If JS redshirts and develops into a combo 3 and 4, then he will only have to sit behind WR and BC one (1) more year.

Even though we have seen very little of JS in true game situations, I would sure rather have him than Justin Johnson for four (4) years. Different player than Luke Meyer but JS can certainly do things LM could never do (and vice versa for LM). By his Jr and Sr years, I would think JS will contribute more than BE did his two (2) years.

JS is clearly D1.

keep your head up. stay positive. work hard in class and try to improve on the basketball court. never know what might happen. i am proud of you.

come on. A coach knows his players and the players he's got committed. You're right, mislead the kid and let him ride the pine, just be nice about it.

This is truth. They are both transferring.

Good luck to JS and JJ then. Enjoyed watching you play and hope you land somewhere where you get to play a lot and be very successful.

How far we have come ..... Part II.

Two years ago, this Board's biggest dilemna was the unbalanced class levels (too many Freshman and Sophs). Despite giving out 7 schollies the first full year (KM, WR, BC, FJ, KC, BT and RC), and then 6 more the next year (CE, CS, CR, JS, JJ and JR) - one over the 13 man limit if PE is still counted, we now are welcoming three (3) new Freshman - and possibly more. Even if we don't add more kids this year, and if the above 2 decide not to return, then we'd have a minimum of 2 schollies for next year.

At least we no longer have to worry about this issue anymore. :lol:

How far we have come ..... Part II.

Two years ago, this Board's biggest dilemna was the unbalanced class levels (too many Freshman and Sophs). Despite giving out 7 schollies the first full year (KM, WR, BC, FJ, KC, BT and RC), and then 6 more the next year (CE, CS, CR, JS, JJ and JR) - one over the 13 man limit if PE is still counted, we now are welcoming three (3) new Freshman - and possibly more. Even if we don't add more kids this year, and if the above 2 decide not to return, then we'd have a minimum of 2 schollies for next year.

At least we no longer have to worry about this issue anymore. :lol:

I'd wait for something official before assuming anything is true

How do you know? (I'm not challenging you, I'm just curious....have you heard from the athletic department, or though the players, or something else?)

I was very surprised with JS's lack of playing time in the CBI tournament, especially given our short bench. He is already a tremendous shot blocker and rebounder, and with added strength and conditioning will become a terrific defensive player. I also saw an ability to knock down the 12 to 15 foot jumper when he was left open. If he couldn't get minutes this year, I think he might benefit from a redshirt year, and then come back as a sophmore when WR and BC are seniors. He is going to be a very good player, and I hope it is for SLU.

Except it's not uncommon for freshmen to see spotty playing time yet end up as starters as juniors and seniors.

Brian Kelly(since we're being out of line with using names and talking about girlfriends),

I'm sure you understand that the coaches have end of the year meetings with players to track progress on the court and in the classroom while also looking at the upcoming year.

I guess you are bff with Porter and Majerus since you KNOW why they have these talks.

What about lack of loyality a player shows to the program when he transfers because the team is not performing as a whole.

Ok Brian Kelly, Let's just burn down Billikens.com so there will no longer be any rumors! Thats sounds like so much fun doesn't. Also I think we should kill the rumors of SLU leaving the A-10 because its not fair to the players to speculate about their future.

You still are making no sense. There are certain things its find to speculate about and discuss rumors. Like conference changes when there are reporters, coaches and officials talking about the same stuff. And you can work off leads and insight from legitimate sources. But I don't like hearing about how JJ might be leaving or how we might be getting Etat Majok from UConn and there is no source backing that up yet. It's one thing to be casual about talking about stuff like who is going to improve over the off season but when fans are casual about saying this person is going to leave or that person is, it's just stupid.

You still are making no sense. There are certain things its find to speculate about and discuss rumors. Like conference changes when there are reporters, coaches and officials talking about the same stuff. And you can work off leads and insight from legitimate sources. But I don't like hearing about how JJ might be leaving or how we might be getting Etat Majok from UConn and there is no source backing that up yet. It's one thing to be casual about talking about stuff like who is going to improve over the off season but when fans are casual about saying this person is going to leave or that person is, it's just stupid.

I'm sorry you feel that way. But if you don't like it then you should probably quit reading this message board because people will always speculate about these things. They are not wildly speculating either there are very good reasons to believe that JJ is at least considering transferring. If Majerus says they are looking at more recruits their is always room to talk about who it is or could be.

I'm sorry you feel that way. But if you don't like it then you should probably quit reading this message board because people will always speculate about these things. They are not wildly speculating either there are very good reasons to believe that JJ is at least considering transferring.

Again you don't get my point. I think pretty much everything I have read on this blog is perfectly fine expect 2 things - people talking casually about JJ transferring when no reporter has even suggested this at all. A google new search for Jordair Jett gives 1 result - NY post article 4 days ago that is probably wrong. A regular google search for Etat Majok SLU gives ZEROOOOOO RESULTS! That is why I am saying kill the rumors keep the team. It's stupid for us to think anyone is leaving when there's almost no evidence to suggest it at all.

They are not wildly speculating either there are very good reasons to believe that JJ is at least considering transferring.

REALLY 05? Really?

So why haven't there been any publications online? The NY POST article deserved some attention for the time being but its credibility has dropped now that we haven't seen a similar article in 4 days. Not to mention the attention it deserved at the time had very little to do with JJ.

Again. Keep the team. Kill the rumors. If something better comes up, we can move in a different direction.

I'm sorry you feel that way. But if you don't like it then you should probably quit reading this message board because people will always speculate about these things. They are not wildly speculating either there are very good reasons to believe that JJ is at least considering transferring. If Majerus says they are looking at more recruits their is always room to talk about who it is or could be.

100% Agreed....and if Majerus IS indeed recruiting someone else, there has got to be a good reason why...I think Coach is a little bit more informed than the people on this board as to the inner workings of his team...

If, and that is a speculative if, RickMa is actively trying to get another player for next year, then one of two things is happening: 1) Someone is transferring, or 2) They are freeing up a scholarship somehow......end of story

No legitimate sources?? Haha are you an idiot? Obviously you have no sources. Is JJ a good enough source into his own decision? Or would you like someone a little closer to the situation? Lol

That might be because his name is ATER Majok... Again, not surprising. A lot of transfers haven't been announced yet, including one's on our own team.

Not to mention no one said he is going to transfer, just that he has expressed interest. Look I know this kid has talked to people from the basketball program and said he may want to transfer to SLU. I think that's about all anyone knows at this point. Majok is from Australia and we are currently recruiting his cousin, so it starts making a little more sense once you do some research.