Observations on Green Bay and Princeton

Billikan

Didn't see that, will have to look that up.

Early first half, GB ft's right after conk subs in the first time. He was on the ground and the GB guy intentionally roles on him and looked to give Conk da bidness while on the ground. Conk went out right after that.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The cheap shot on Conk was dirty. Other than that, what I saw was that they were going to play as physical as they could get away with.

"As physical as they could get away with" is a nice way of saying they were horsesh*t.

There were other cheap shots... Berry figured out early he could get away with murder, and stuck it to us.

I am season ticket holder but did not go down there, saw it on HDNet... saw the replays, they were revealing.

Berry was a d*ckhead and smacked Willie and others around early and often.

Finally our kids (coaches?) figured it out and went back at them.

And I think Majerus's complaints helped.

Payback is a *****.

Darrin Young will play Wednesday and see some big minutes. I don't think we can go 3 forwards for very long unless Smith catches lightning in a bottle again. We'll need Smith or young to step up for us against Princeton.

I'm with you. Bring on Darrin Young. When you play Jon Smith against a team who has 3 guards out on the floor, he can get exposed when defending, thus, he has to exploit his height advantage on the offensive to earn his minutes. I'm not sure Jon can do that for more than 3-5 minute burst. Give Darrin Young his shot. It will be shades of Phillip Hunt.

His stroke did seem a little better last night. If it ain't broke...

I noticed that he is not putting as much arch on the ball which is helping him out a lot. The rotation on the ball is improving also. He is improving slowly in that department.

I'm with you. Bring on Darrin Young. When you play Jon Smith against a team who has 3 guards out on the floor, he can get exposed when defending, thus, he has to exploit his height advantage on the offensive to earn his minutes. I'm not sure Jon can do that for more than 3-5 minute burst. Give Darrin Young his shot. It will be shades of Phillip Hunt.

Jon Smith could not put the ball on the floor facing the basket last night. He has a lot of potential, but an incredible amount of work to do to be a 3 at this level

I, too, was begging for us to get the ball inside more. They did have 2 bigs, but both had 3 fouls somewhat early in the second half. They couldn't stop Willie, They did do a good job defending the pass into him though.

Several times we seemed out of sorts on the offensive end. What happend to the High low from CE to WR? I haven't seen that in a few games.

It was AWESOME to see CE on the post. I don't know if it was him that finally figured out that he is 6 foot freaking 8 and 240 pounds or if one of the coaches had a flash in the brain to that fact, but it was effective and one of the many reasons why we pulled this game out. Again, he was real solid against guys that were smaller than him--great, great stuff.

Refs were as bad as I have seen. Not only the BS ticky-tack crap--which was really out of place with banging and dowright collisions taking place the rest of the time with no calls, but there were a couple of obvious travels that they missed. There was a stretch early in the second half where I had to question what conference they were from, where they are alumni from, and what building were we playing in--it was a brutal stretch of about 5-6 in a row against the Bills--several of which were iffy at best. They did have a couple of "make-ups" later in the half though, but that doesn't make it right, the old saying two wrongs... or in this case many, many wrongs don't make a right.

Crowd was great for as few people that were there. A few times it was really loud in there. I can't wait for next year when we are filling the place regularly. It is going to be deafening.

We couldn't hit the water if we fell out of boat from the outside last night. It has been a long and strange trasition that KM is now, by far, our best outside shot. We need someone else to take that role desperately. Not that I want KM to shot any worse, but he needs to focus on doing all the other things he does to make us win--control the offense, bring the ball up against pressure, continue to drive to the bucket, keep making the open 3's and oh yeah keep making all the game winning plays that he seems to do every other game now. He shouldn't have to shoulder that burden also.

Wed is going to interesting--perhaps not pretty and not a whole lot of fun, but very interesting. Two defensive minded clubs going at it. Points will be a premium, every possesion will be extremely valuable. Turnovers will be killers, Free Throws will be even more important. Winning team's final score may not break 50. I hope I am wrong, but doubtful. They lost to Cornell twice by 3 points with the scores 48-45 and 50-47. We MUST make some shots from the outside. If CE comes back to the form he was a month ago, KM plays like KM, and WR has another big game, I see us winning this game and going to the finals.

Jon Smif returns to the Bills after a several week lay-off replacing Jon Smith and scores double digits.

DY--gets his first points of the season and the place goes crazy.

Go Bills!

Jon Smith could not put the ball on the floor facing the basket last night. He has a lot of potential, but an incredible amount of work to do to be a 3 at this level

He can only score by posting up or catch and shoot from 10' in. Agree pretty limited right now.

"As physical as they could get away with" is a nice way of saying they were horsesh*t.

There were other cheap shots... Berry figured out early he could get away with murder, and stuck it to us.

I am season ticket holder but did not go down there, saw it on HDNet... saw the replays, they were revealing.

Berry was a d*ckhead and smacked Willie and others around early and often.

Finally our kids (coaches?) figured it out and went back at them.

And I think Majerus's complaints helped.

Payback is a *****.

Didn't see the 2nd half on TV. I didn't consider their handchecks, holding, grabbing, dirty. Refs were hurting us because they wouldn't let our guards get away with the same stuff.

WR is coming on big. It's seemed all season he's got problems controlling the ball. Does WR have smallish hands for a 6'9" guy? I recall a discussion about Greg Oden in the NBA and an expert said what Portland failed to recognize with him are his small hands. Still, for guys in the 6'8" to 7' range their hands ought to be big enough to catch, grab and control the ball. Something to work on in the offseason, but no complaints about his play or desire this season.

I'm probably the one who's pondered this the most on this board. But from the pictures I've seen, Willie's hands look big enough. Perhaps he just needs to gain strength in his fingers, hands, and forearms. Piano lessons or typing on the old style typewriters might help.

Agreed. I would add that I don't think we were looking inside enough before that happened. They had big problems all game when Ellis and Reed would post up.

Saw more post up moves out of Cody last night than I saw all year. I think that is a very good sign. Get some added muscle on him over the summer and I think that is something he can really add to his game.

I, too, was begging for us to get the ball inside more. They did have 2 bigs, but both had 3 fouls somewhat early in the second half. They couldn't stop Willie, They did do a good job defending the pass into him though.

Several times we seemed out of sorts on the offensive end. What happend to the High low from CE to WR? I haven't seen that in a few games.

It was AWESOME to see CE on the post. I don't know if it was him that finally figured out that he is 6 foot freaking 8 and 240 pounds or if one of the coaches had a flash in the brain to that fact, but it was effective and one of the many reasons why we pulled this game out. Again, he was real solid against guys that were smaller than him--great, great stuff.

Go Bills!

According to Coach Moser on the postgame, it was a coaching decision to exploit CE's height advantage, and it was a deciding factor in the game.

I'm probably the one whose ponder this the most on this board. But from the pictures I've seen, Willie's hands look big enough. Perhaps he just needs to gain strength in his fingers, hands, and forearms. Piano lessons or typing on the old style typewriters might help.

Whatever the issue, I noticed in last night's game and the game against URI that he has real issues with holding on to the ball.

What's with the Wil-lie chant during Willie's free throws? Is this something he asked for? Seems like it'd be distracting.

He shoots better from the line with the chant than without. Maybe it's the chant or maybe it's just that he's been working hard to improve at the line. Either way he only had one terrible looking free throw last night....which is a great improvement.

According to Coach Moser on the postgame, it was a coaching decision to exploit CE's height advantage, and it was a deciding factor in the game.

Great decision... it turned the game around for us.

Though I know GB was shorthanded, I have wondered why have not really tried that with CE before.

side bar on last night's game.

I finally figured out the Kwamain chant to OLE', ole'-ole'-ole', OLE', OLE'.

Hilarious. I joined in evertime after I first heard it early in the game. It is fun.

KWAMAIN, kwamain-kwamain-kwamain, KWAMAIN, KWAMAIN!!

Let's hope we have 3 more victories to sing it at.

side bar on last night's game.

I finally figured out the Kwamain chant to OLE', ole'-ole'-ole', OLE', OLE'.

Hilarious. I joined in evertime after I first heard it early in the game. It is fun.

KWAMAIN, kwamain-kwamain-kwamain, KWAMAIN, KWAMAIN!!

Let's hope we have 3 more victories to sing it at.

I also liked "He's from Wisconsin."

For some reason it was cracking me up when the students were replicating the Saintsations' dance routine too.

For some reason it was cracking me up when the students were replicating the Saintsations' dance routine too.

-box, i guess this was flattering towards the Saintsations or you would have put a stop to it :(

-on a separate note, on the sports report on ch2's 9pm news, slu vs princeton was lead story, including interview with rick, next was illinois vs dayton nit also tomorrow, then new SLU soccer coach, then blues, then cardinals

-and this is the cbi

Great decision... it turned the game around for us.

Though I know GB was shorthanded, I have wondered why have not really tried that with CE before.

Good point. I've wondered it as well. Presume that RM did not want to complicate the offense too much and/or add too much for CE in this, his first and shortened year. Still, it seems obvious that every 6'8" guy would be able to post-up a guard down low. Maybe not.

Additional games are great for our young Bills, and in particular, for CS who sure looks like he is maturing these past 2 games. Also for CE - bright spot about the loss of yet another guard (JJ): a chance to watch CE play the 3. Good for him and good for us - to discuss when the season eventually comes to an end and things get slow.

Good point. I've wondered it as well. Presume that RM did not want to complicate the offense too much and/or add too much for CE in this, his first and shortened year. Still, it seems obvious that every 6'8" guy would be able to post-up a guard down low. Maybe not.

Additional games are great for our young Bills, and in particular, for CS who sure looks like he is maturing these past 2 games. Also for CE - bright spot about the loss of yet another guard (JJ): a chance to watch CE play the 3. Good for him and good for us - to discuss when the season eventually comes to an end and things get slow.

Maybe I am crazy, but how far along is Eckerle in his recovery? Wasn't he injured in the middle of last summer? It has been like 9 months or so, right? At all of the games this season that I can remember, he has been walking without crutches. I wonder if he has done anything in practice yet. I know it is not going to happen, but it would be cool to see Paul come back to this game just so this season wasn't totally lost for him. Heck we need any help we can get at the guard position. Who would have thought a few years ago we would have no guards left on the bench, but we would have 3 bigs?