Charter Flights

I have recently learned that the AD had the money for the charter flights this year but the the powers to be ( you know who) said no to any charter flights. In other words, it was not a money thing at all. This whole issue is really rather weird to say the least.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have recently learned that the AD had the money for the charter flights this year but the the powers to be ( you know who) said no to any charter flights. In other words, it was not a money thing at all. This whole issue is really rather weird to say the least.

I find this hard to believe.

Cheese, you've been a good poster and I'm not calling you out, but seriously:

wtf

This makes no sense

There were no charters at all? If true, then wtf? I wonder if this was implemented from the start of the season or if flights were actually cut mid-season.

What I learned was that there were a total of 5 charters planned for this year and that they only took 1 before they were told no more flights. As I said before, this is a very odd situation when you think about it.

Ridiculous, give Rickma back his charters. Rick how about cooling it on the hatred of the A10. There, everyone shake hands and let's board the charter.

Ridiculous, give Rickma back his charters. Rick how about cooling it on the hatred of the A10. There, everyone shake hands and let's board the charter.

This issue has probably become a "thing" with you know who - I have heard about this kind of a thing before with you know who. An example is a shipping contract was signed with DHL by you know who and in the medical school area they sometimes need to send research samples to other institutions and they have to go over night to prevent them from degrading or data that is too big to send electronically has to get there over night but at the time DHL's contract was only for 1 day delivery. You now who said sorry every thing has to be shipped with DHL period.

This issue has probably become a "thing" with you know who - I have heard about this kind of a thing before with you know who. An example is a shipping contract was signed with DHL by you know who and in the medical school area they sometimes need to send research samples to other institutions and they have to go over night to prevent them from degrading or data that is too big to send electronically has to get there over night but at the time DHL's contract was only for 1 day delivery. You now who said sorry every thing has to be shipped with DHL period.

Larry has been great for SLU but you have to wonder if he's been here to long.

I don't really find that surprising....why would it have been a money issue when the U is at an alltime enrollment high and has continuously increased tuition each year?

he says he wants a top 50 program and then he pulls this crap. he talks out of both sides of his mouth.

I don't really find that surprising....why would it have been a money issue when the U is at an alltime enrollment high and has continuously increased tuition each year?

I would bet the endowment took a major hit in 2008 with the stock market meltdown. That should have recovered in 2009.

http://forbeslife.nl/2010/01/27/college-en...endowments.html

Enrollment is not the only revenue source for the university - their investments provide a large income stream and while the market has made some the losses back they are still not back to pre-recession levels. This not only for SLU but for other institutions that fund research for example. Funding by these non-profits as a whole is down by about half this year. The weird thing about this whole situation is the budget was in place an approved already.

Enrollment is not the only revenue source for the university - their investments provide a large income stream and while the market has made some the losses back they are still not back to pre-recession levels. This not only for SLU but for other institutions that fund research for example. Funding by these non-profits as a whole is down by about half this year. The weird thing about this whole situation is the budget was in place an approved already.

I definitely agree that it is weird, but with the amount of bitching and moaning RM has done this year about anything he can, does it surprise anyone that there is a subplot to the charter planes? Especially since it was a well publicized part of his deal that obviously would have been in the program's annual budget under normal circumstances.

If Biondi came to RM and said, "Look I know I told you that you could have planes, but I invested heavily in GM and now all I have is rough toilet paper, we can't do charters everywhere all year or we're gonna go down the tubes and so are all the students" maybe Rick wouldn't have been so rough about it.

If he came and said "Look, you just squeaked by .500 again, but you've got a team with no upperclassmen, no one who looks like they can score, and you can't even get your top recruit in school. No charters, I'm not shelling out the cash for a 12th place team this year" then no wonder he's pissed. Especially now that they exceeded expectations.

Did this definitely happen? Who knows, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I've posted this before and I know it to be true. RM was told to cool it about the Valley, when he did't, he was told a second time to cool. When he still didn't, the charters were taken away and he was told he could travel like he was in the Valley, by bus and commercial.

As I said when this came up, a pissing match between 2 major egos. RM can't win it.

The way it was said to me was that it was strictly an issue of a decision was made about not wanting any charter flights used. No other explanation was given nor did I specifically ask since the way it was said led me to believe that it was not something linked to a specific action by anyone just simply a decision made by the powers to be. If there was anything else that caused this decision then I would not know about that.

MOYTOY: What do you say about this now? ;)

This charter flight mess could hurt our progress big time.

It is great that Biondi got fabulous new arena & paid $ 1+M for a great established coach, etc, but what kids will want to come here when they hear the horror stories, stuck in Philly, team sometimes taking 3 separate flights, etc, etc.

No half measures if we are going to top 50!

MOYTOY: What do you say about this now? :lol:

It is great that Biondi got fabulous new arena & paid $ 1+M for a great established coach, etc, but what kids will want to come here when they hear the horror stories, stuck in Philly, team sometimes taking 3 separate flights, etc, etc.

MB. When you post about the Bills, why do you refer to "we". You are NOT a Bills fan. That's fine. But why impersonate?

MOYTOY: What do you say about this now? :lol:

You appear to be right.

This is some first class crap that Biondi appears to be pulling.

Oh, RM should keep his mouth shut too.

You appear to be right.

This is some first class crap that Biondi appears to be pulling.

Oh, RM should keep his mouth shut too.

Actually most of the schools in the Valley take charters....I was told that by a big Creighton booster at a bar during the Valley tournament.

None of the school are in hub cities, so they would miss alot of classes by flying commercial.

Actually most of the schools in the Valley take charters....I was told that by a big Creighton booster at a bar during the Valley tournament.

None of the school are in hub cities, so they would miss alot of classes by flying commercial.

I think the abitrator in this mess should be Dr. Chaifetz. We all think he was a key player in bringing RM here. And his fired up attitude at the games seems to reflect a sincere interest in seeing SLU become a top 50 program. A simple call telling Fr. B that future donations will be impacted just might do the trick.

Larry is past his prime, when coaches have to pay for their own cell phone, there is a problem

I admire Father Larry for what he's done for the University in the last 20 years but when comes to running athletic programs I wish he take a page from his fellow Jesuit university presidents. i.e. Marquette, Georgetown, Creighton, Gonzaga, Xavier, etc...