Charter Flights

I admire Father Larry for what he's done for the University in the last 20 years but when comes to running athletic programs I wish he take a page from his fellow Jesuit university presidents. i.e. Marquette, Georgetown, Creighton, Gonzaga, Xavier, etc...

Don't think Larry would lower his pride and seek advice from anyone but himself.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You appear to be right.

This is some first class crap that Biondi appears to be pulling.

Oh, RM should keep his mouth shut too.

i agree, this goes both ways. shame on biondi for going back on his word, but rickma is lucky that all that has happened over his insistence to not tote the company line is that he lost his private plane.

Larry is past his prime, when coaches have to pay for their own cell phone, there is a problem

are you saying that the coaches pay and cannot expense the bill or are you saying that the coaches have to go out and buy their own phones and administer the bill each month where they pay and then get reimbursed?

personally if i was a college coach, i would want my cell phone in my name and under my control. let's say you suddenly get fired. all your contact info is in that phone. all your current recruiting work is tied to that phone number.

if the school owns the phone, they ask you to hand it over on the spot. if it is your phone, i dont see how they can touch it.

heck if you think about it and the level of importance that cell phone number is to their career, i would even accept the entire responsibility of the phone. at worst you could deduct the cost on your taxes as an unreimbursed business expense. but to lose control over that phone would be a tremendous career setback in this day and age.

MB. When you post about the Bills, why do you refer to "we". You are NOT a Bills fan. That's fine. But why impersonate?

Clock Tower:

WTF are you talking about?

I support Majerus, he is the best thing to happen to SLU hoops in a long, long time.

Maybe the best thing ever.

I am miffed that the charters were taken away. A horse ca-ca move, no way the kids should have to suffer through this debacle.

What quality recruits will come here when they hear about this?

Do you know all the issues with air travel these days? Lambert is 3rd class at best. Sad, but true.

Have you ever taken a D1 road trip? Do you know what that entails?

Then you make a stupid accusation like that? You need to "pay more attention to detail".

I've posted this before and I know it to be true. RM was told to cool it about the Valley, when he did't, he was told a second time to cool. When he still didn't, the charters were taken away and he was told he could travel like he was in the Valley, by bus and commercial.

As I said when this came up, a pissing match between 2 major egos. RM can't win it.

Is this substantiated? Biondi pulled the charter flights because Rick kept rambling about the Valley? I'm mighty pissed about Rick's public declarations that we belong in the Valley but this would be childish if Biondi in fact did this. Sounds like Father Larry but can others confirm this chain of events.

personally if i was a college coach, i would want my cell phone in my name and under my control. let's say you suddenly get fired. all your contact info is in that phone. all your current recruiting work is tied to that phone number.

And the contact info for one's many female...um...recruits.

I think the abitrator in this mess should be Dr. Chaifetz. We all think he was a key player in bringing RM here. And his fired up attitude at the games seems to reflect a sincere interest in seeing SLU become a top 50 program. A simple call telling Fr. B that future donations will be impacted just might do the trick.

No - apparently some big money people have spoken up and it has had no impact.

are you saying that the coaches pay and cannot expense the bill or are you saying that the coaches have to go out and buy their own phones and administer the bill each month where they pay and then get reimbursed?

if the school owns the phone, they ask you to hand it over on the spot. if it is your phone, i dont see how they can touch it.

heck if you think about it and the level of importance that cell phone number is to their career, i would even accept the entire responsibility of the phone. at worst you could deduct the cost on your taxes as an unreimbursed business expense. but to lose control over that phone would be a tremendous career setback in this day and age.

The way the cell phone thing was explained to me - reliable source - is that coaches simply have to expense their calls out on their on personal tax filing as an business expense that is not reimbursed to them.

Is this substantiated? Biondi pulled the charter flights because Rick kept rambling about the Valley? I'm mighty pissed about Rick's public declarations that we belong in the Valley but this would be childish if Biondi in fact did this. Sounds like Father Larry but can others confirm this chain of events.

The information that was given to me did not refer to the Valley matter - just that a decision was made to stop charter flights so I can not anything to the above statement other then what I have said several times in this thread.

The timeline seems all wrong to me. The first radio show was in mid January which Rick skipped. It was said at the time he skipped the show because he was upset about the charter flights being pulled. It was only AFTER that, that the complaining about the A-10 started.

I know some on this board want to bash RM for everything, but if the charters were pulled and the money was there then he has every right in the world to complain.

This is so freaking infuriating because we are this close to being a top 25 team and the President of our university is about to screw it up for no good reason.

Clock Tower:

I support Majerus, he is the best thing to happen to SLU hoops in a long, long time.

I am miffed that the charters were taken away. A horse ca-ca move, no way the kids should have to suffer through this debacle.

Do you know all the issues with air travel these days? Lambert is 3rd class at best. Sad, but true.

Then you make a stupid accusation like that? You need to "pay more attention to detail".

I don't see how anyone can say you aren't a fan. A misguided fan? Yes, however, still a fan :blink:

So it's a power play? How petty! How can SLU become relevant with such shenanigans going on? No wonder Spoon excused himself from that mess. Is Father Biondi administratively bipolar?

Why are people only now realizing how petty Fr. Biondi can be and is? He's been this way at SLU for 23 years. He's done some great things and some real bone-head things as well. My theory all along was that either Fr. Biondi pulled the plug on the charter flights before the season and it was not in the budget (which if he was going to do it - that is when he should have done it) but then promised to reconsider the same later, that when later eventually came, Fr. Biondi then said NO to RM in the middle of the season which pissed RM off or that Fr. Biondi pulled the charters in mid-season which pissed RM off. This is obvious since something definitely happened to cause RM to stop doing the radio show. Either way, Fr. Biondi broke his promised, pissed off the best thing to ever happen to Billiken basketball. At a time when every other program is nervous about keeping their coach and/or overpaying him to stay, arrogant Fr. Biondi cuts his charters and hides like a gutless wonder like he has done with every other public controversy in his tenure. Still no public statement or comment about the chartered flights, the canceled radio program, etc. Anyone who then criticises Fr. Biondi's commitment to the basketball team, like me, then is told to look at the Chaveitz as proof that Fr. Biondi is committed. More b.s. in my book. Fr. Biondi does like to raise money and build buildings. We are finally out of the 1920's West Pine building! The women athletes no longer need to fight their families and friends for a restroom stall at half-time!! The athletes can finally left the barbells over their heads w/o hitting the ceiling. Still no written contracts but the coaches now have offices and the broom closets at Chaifetz are bigger than the few offices located at West Pine. 20 years too late but better late than never.

Cheese, thanks for the insights in this thread. Your explanation makes sense is probably true.

Everyone else just needs to get their timelines straight. MB73, wake-up. The charter flights were pulled BEFORE RM and the Bills got stranded in Philly and the other extended trips. The bitching and complaining by RM did not cause this. RM has spoken his mind and no one will stop him. RM is no more concerned about Kim Tucci, et al than he is about me. And BTW, if all these "big time" donors are the least bit concerned, why aren't they getting Fr. Biondi to honor with word/contract and/or getting their checkbooks out to help SLU if we are in such dire financial straights?

Clock Tower:

MB. I am quite familiar with Lambert. If I could, I would strip it of the name "International." Unless we get Chinese cargo, it will be 4th class soon.

The timeline seems all wrong to me. The first radio show was in mid January which Rick skipped. It was said at the time he skipped the show because he was upset about the charter flights being pulled. It was only AFTER that, that the complaining about the A-10 started.

I know some on this board want to bash RM for everything, but if the charters were pulled and the money was there then he has every right in the world to complain.

This is so freaking infuriating because we are this close to being a top 25 team and the President of our university is about to screw it up for no good reason.

or you could say in a extremely strong year for the a-10 when finally some of the local casual fans might finally be able to see the light, our own coach stabs our program's attempt to put the debate to bed.

there is enough blame for both of them.

If you remember, RM started in the summer on the A10 issue with some faculty members at a mtg I think. Other posters may very well remember the exact time it all started. I agree he picked up the intensity about the time you said.

Why are people only now realizing how petty Fr. Biondi can be and is? He's been this way at SLU for 23 years. He's done some great things and some real bone-head things as well. My theory all along was that either Fr. Biondi pulled the plug on the charter flights before the season and it was not in the budget (which if he was going to do it - that is when he should have done it) but then promised to reconsider the same later, that when later eventually came, Fr. Biondi then said NO to RM in the middle of the season which pissed RM off or that Fr. Biondi pulled the charters in mid-season which pissed RM off. This is obvious since something definitely happened to cause RM to stop doing the radio show. Either way, Fr. Biondi broke his promised, pissed off the best thing to ever happen to Billiken basketball. At a time when every other program is nervous about keeping their coach and/or overpaying him to stay, arrogant Fr. Biondi cuts his charters and hides like a gutless wonder like he has done with every other public controversy in his tenure. Still no public statement or comment about the chartered flights, the canceled radio program, etc. Anyone who then criticises Fr. Biondi's commitment to the basketball team, like me, then is told to look at the Chaveitz as proof that Fr. Biondi is committed. More b.s. in my book. Fr. Biondi does like to raise money and build buildings. We are finally out of the 1920's West Pine building! The women athletes no longer need to fight their families and friends for a restroom stall at half-time!! The athletes can finally left the barbells over their heads w/o hitting the ceiling. Still no written contracts but the coaches now have offices and the broom closets at Chaifetz are bigger than the few offices located at West Pine. 20 years too late but better late than never.

Cheese, thanks for the insights in this thread. Your explanation makes sense is probably true.

Everyone else just needs to get their timelines straight. MB73, wake-up. The charter flights were pulled BEFORE RM and the Bills got stranded in Philly and the other extended trips. The bitching and complaining by RM did not cause this. RM has spoken his mind and no one will stop him. RM is no more concerned about Kim Tucci, et al than he is about me. And BTW, if all these "big time" donors are the least bit concerned, why aren't they getting Fr. Biondi to honor with word/contract and/or getting their checkbooks out to help SLU if we are in such dire financial straights?

My impression from what I was told was that the money was in the budget and the flights were scheduled in the summer and early fall. This was never an issue about saving money just a bee in somebody's bonnet - you know who. It was after they took their first charter flight - perhaps to Georgia I think - that the rest of the flights were stopped. Also, I was told that they had a total of 5 charter flights scheduled this year and last year they took 7 - apparently some of our trips were going to be able to use a bus this year thus creating the decrease in the number of flights. I have no idea if there ever was a commitment by anyone to reconsider the matter once they were stopped.

I'm assuming there are no more Billiken Club meetings this year. But there are events -- a banquet and a golf tournament, no?

Can someone PLEASE just ask a direct question out loud to WHOEVER is speaking -- and keep asking it at subsequent opportunities until someone answers it?

(I will lobby among my media colleagues to do the same.)

I don't see how anyone can say you aren't a fan. A misguided fan? Yes, however, still a fan :)

Skip: how am I misguided?

• Since we are going to the east coast all the time, I support the student athletes right to have charter flights when good direct flights are not available... as promised... like RM says. Though I respect Biondi for the new arena and getting Majerus, I think this charter flight stink is very damaging and have voiced my opinion on this matter... now another poster verifed this and it is getting more credibility with the "inner circle" Billikens.com consortium.
  • I think the A-10 hoops teams are having a great year, but am knowedgeable about D1 athletics, and say we shoulda gone to the MVC 7 yrs ago. So says RM. He is right. I am supporting him. Something terrible about that? Oh, he has 30+ yrs relevant national experience in these matters.
  • I agree its too late, stupid to switch to MVC NOW, might as well wait for the next conference shakeup...
  • I was upset when some posters wanted every one to "go to the AD" about Majerus when he stated we should be in the MVC and cited the travel issues with commercial flights.
  • I think this is the most exciting Billiken hoops team in 40 yrs... potential wise... the key being Majerus can get us quality "bigs" and develop them.
  • Grawer and Spoon were great for the program, but could not do that. Nor could Romar. Etc.
So where have I gone wrong, oh all knowing grown man named "Skip"? :lol:

Clock Tower, you sure can get things back assward. I never said that the charters were pulled after the Philly debacle. That would be ridiculous, one of the reasons they were stuck there all along was that the charters were already pulled. (I know snow was a factor, but that was incidental).

I do not want to go over this again, I quit, this is like a discussion with my wife or something.

Skip: how am I misguided?

• SInce we are going to the east coast all the time, I support the student athletes right to have charter flights when good direct flights are not available... as promised... like RM says. Though I respect Biondi for the new arena and getting Majerus, I think this charter flight stink is very damaging and have voiced my opinion on this matter... now another poster verifed this and it is getting more credibility with the "inner circle" Billikens.com constortium.
  • I think the A-10 hoops teams are having a great year, but am knowedgeable about D1 athletics, and say we shoulda gone to the MVC 7 yrs ago. So says RM. He is right. I am supporting him. Something terrible about that? Oh, he has 30+ yrs relevant national experience in these matters.
  • I agree its too late, stupid to switch to MVC NOW, might as well wait for the next conference shakeup...
  • I was upset when some posters wanted every one to "go to the AD" about Majerus when he stated we should be in the MVC and cited the travel issues with commercial flights.
  • I think this is the most exciting Billiken hoops team in 40 yrs... potential wise... the key being Majerus can get us quality "bigs" and develop them.
  • Grawer and Spoon were great for the program, but could not do that. Nor could Romar. Etc.
So where have I gone wrong, oh all knowing grown man named "Skip"? :lol:
It's stupid and counterproductive to talk to the media about SLU going to the MVC now. We'r in the A10. We're not going anywhere. It damages our relation with the league. It sends the wrong message to the media who now harp on the MVC canard. It could confuse a potential recruit about the value of conference affiliation. It unnecessarily riles up our fan base who on both sides of the issue. Rick Majerus either has a poor understanding of public relations or is unable to control the words that tumble from his mouth. I choose the later explanation.

All that said, Father Larry needs to pull his head out and stop antagonizing RM just because he can. As others have said, we're on the cusp of something big so Biondi needs to get with the program. For someone with such a supposed grand vision he sure plays the small minded tyrant at inopportune times. Larry, we're close to something beautiful. Stop pissing in the fountain. We know you built the fountain. Go use the urinal.

All that said, Father Larry needs to pull his head out and stop antagonizing RM just because he can. As others have said, we're on the cusp of something big so Biondi needs to get with the program. For someone with such a supposed grand vision he sure plays the small minded tyrant at inopportune times. Larry, we're close to something beautiful. Stop pissing in the fountain. We know you built the fountain. Go use the urinal.

Well said.