SN list of "bubble boys"

bauman

ND has to be in the way they're playing.

Speaking of ND, would it be fair to compare CE to Harangody as a player to be like? Or is Harangody more of a banger? Maybe if CE could combine Harangody's physicality with CE's finesse.

I haven't seen enough of Harangody to know what his game is really like.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of ND, would it be fair to compare CE to Harangody as a player to be like? Or is Harangody more of a banger? Maybe if CE could combine Harangody's physicality with CE's finesse.

Harangody is definitely more of a banger. He has developed the ability to hit mid to deep shots, but that is definitely not his biggest stength. He is tremendously strong and gets most of his points around the rim. I would not compare Ellis to Harangody.

The comparison I heard Earl Austin make which I can kind of see is Linas Kleiza the Lithuanian who played his college ball at Mizzou, was a 1st round draft pick after going pro after his sophomore season and played with the Denver Nuggets before taking a big contract to play in Greece this season. Kleiza was physically strong and a tenacious rebounder and tough kid, but had a really polished offensive game which is what the comparison is based on.

While Gody can make an outside shot he scores a lot of points on lay ins around the rim. His interior footwork is very impressive. I see CE as more of an outside shooter like Van Horn.

While Gody can make an outside shot he scores a lot of points on lay ins around the rim. His interior footwork is very impressive. I see CE as more of an outside shooter like Van Horn.

To me, the best comparison I've heard was Cody to Linas Kleiza. Might not be as good, but similar player. Edit: Chosen One beat me to it.

To me, the best comparison I've heard was Cody to Linas Kleiza. Might not be as good, but similar player. Edit: Chosen One beat me to it.

Thanks guys. I became a fan of Linas the Menace when he was in Denver. He probably is a better comparison than Harangody, but I think a Van Horn comparison is more accurate. Linas was relatively quick off the dribble, could drive and finish with authority. He was a thicker body and probably would still be stronger than CE when CE's body matures after a couple of years.

Also, another player that pops to mind, but i don't think is accurate is Joe Alexander from WV a few years back. I hope CE adds some of Harangody and Alexander's bulk/grit/inside game and keeps his polished offensive game. That will be a helluva player.

I have to disagree with you guys on the Kleiza comparison. Kleiza was stronger, quicker, and overall more athletic than Ellis. Kleiza was bigger inside and a better overall player and the only thing that they really have in common is the perimeter game. They both have a good outside shot, with Ellis maybe having a slight edge from 3 point.

I like the Joe Alexander from W. Virginia comparison. They're both not the quickest and can't beat guys off the dribble, but both have good basketball iq's and work without the ball to get in position for a shot. Again, Ellis has an edge from 3 point but they both have nice mid range shots.

Ellis is still only a freshman and has a lot of time to improve his game. He is a great player and I can't wait to see him grow over the next few years at SLU.

Memphis down 3 after 10 minutes. Would a loss early in the CUSA tourney might put them on the outside looking in?

Memphis down 9 at half. If they lose to Houson again, I can't see them making it in. Two losses to Houston, a .500 team with an rpi of 160/sos 121, 7-9 in conference. Not to mention Memphis lost to UMass. Memphis is OUT.

Memphis down 9 at half. If they lose to Houson again, I can't see them making it in. Two losses to Houston, a .500 team with an rpi of 160/sos 121, 7-9 in conference. Not to mention Memphis lost to UMass. Memphis is OUT.

hokay. you, sir... have an excellent name and fauxtoe. my congratulations.

For the most part, things are working out as well as we could hope with respect to the bubble teams.

Unless some of these teams actually win their tournaments, i.e. Nebraska, Houston, Cincinnati, and so forth. Knocking of the bubble teams is fine, but getting suddenly hot and winning a few would be very bad for us.

More bubble help possibly: Wake Forest getting killed by Miami (fl) and Marquette losing at half (albeit to Villanova).

Major upset in the making in C-USA- Southern Miss leads UAB 32-17 at half. And as noted above, Memphis lost to Houston 66-65.

If UTEP wins the C-USA Tournament, C-USA could get only 1 bid, where I expected 3.

In the Big East, Marquette beat Villanova 80-76, so that should end any remaining doubt- Marquette is in.

UCLA is ahead of Arizona in the second half. Those 2 C-USA bids could be in the process of being transferred to the BCS Pac-10.

We have to beat RI first; we will be 4 point underdogs on the east coast against a team that wants revenge for their loss to us in SL.

THEN we have to beat (probably) Temple, will be 8 point underdogs. Another tough assignment.

THEN we have to play a close game (4-5 pts) in the A-10 Final.

THEN we can worry about the bubble teams... we will be an NCAA longshot even if we do as stated above. :unsure:

We have to beat RI first; we will be 4 point underdogs on the east coast against a team that wants revenge for their loss to us in SL.

THEN we have to beat (probably) Temple, will be 8 point underdogs. Another tough assignment.

THEN we have to play a close game (4-5 pts) in the A-10 Final.

THEN we can worry about the bubble teams... we will be an NCAA longshot even if we do as stated above. :unsure:

I think we may as well mine while we can:

UAB (RPI 40 before the game) lost 58-44 to Southern Miss in C-USA. Shouldn't that take UAB off the bubble? That team has completely tanked down the stretch.

That SLU-URI game tomorrow is getting bigger by the minute. One poster on the URI Board said the game is a (NCAA) play-in game. Here's hoping he's right. Another poster on the URI Board says the Selection Committe has taken notice of SLU.

For what its worth...

Notre Dame has been helping our OOC schedule with another big win tonight as their RPI has gone way up the past couple weeks and now no doubt in the NCAA. Don't know how much impact that will have, but I'll take anything I can get.

The Irish are up to 46. Our RPI was 84 going into the game and moved up to 83 after.

With the bubble teams completely melting down, SLU's resume is starting to look better and better...

Hypothetically speaking, let's say the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee is looking at a possible 4th team from the A-10 for an at-large bid. Granted, Rhode Island and Dayton both have better 'computer numbers' than SLU, BUT there are a couple of relevant factors in SLU's favor:

1. 2-0 vs. Dayton

2. 2-0 vs. Rhode Island (IF, and that's a big if, we beat them tomorrow)

3. SLU went 11-5 in conference, while RI went 9-7, and UD went 8-8...

Given this, I would think SLU has the best shot at being the 4th team in from the A-10 (especially coupled with the Cody Clearinghouse Crap)

I'm not saying the A-10 is going to get 4 bids, but with an Illinois loss and a few Pac-10 upsets, you never know...

Arizona St. down 15 to Stanford (13-17 record) with 12 min in the 2nd half. Arizona St. was one of Lunardi's last 4 in.

Lunardi just said that Pac 10 and Conference USA could both end up one bid conferences. He said Memphis is out after losing to Houston again and with UAB losing. He said there only hope of getting in is if there was a losers bracket in the Conference USA tournament.

Arizona St. down 15 to Stanford (13-17 record) with 12 min in the 2nd half. Arizona St. was one of Lunardi's last 4 in.

It seems like things are shaping up nicely with a number of bubble teams not taking care of business. Yesterday we had Seton Hall and South Florida losing from the Big East. This afternoon we had Memphis and UAB losing in C-USA. And then we have Arizona State down 14 with 4 minutes left in their opening round game against Stanford.

Minnesota did win their opening round game in the Big Ten tournament and has a big one against Michigan State tomorrow. Georgia Tech also got a win in their opening round game against North Carolina and takes on Maryland tomorrow. In the SEC tournament Florida beat Auburn today and will play Mississippi State in a big one tomorrow.

As far as spoilers go, Nebraska got beat this afternoon leaving only the top teams from the Big 12 still alive. If West Virginia can pull off the win against Cincy (up 6 with 9 minutes remaining), that would leave the Big East with only tournament locks alive as well.