Rick Majerus > Lorenzo Romar

RUBillsFan

Then the question is, who do you wanting coaching SLU, Romar or Majerus?

Right now, this team......Majerus. But I think everyone on this board will agree that with an increased talent level, there will be increasing expectations. Wouldn't you love seeing a 2010-2011 A-10 Championship banner hanging in the Fetz?

A 2009-2010 would look better, but let's take care of Xavier first.

Its all about titles!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now, this team......Majerus. But I think everyone on this board will agree that with an increased talent level, there will be increasing expectations. Wouldn't you love seeing a 2010-2011 A-10 Championship banner hanging in the Fetz?

Its all about titles!

I definitely agree. Conference titles are the crowning achievements to regular season play. With that in mind, Majerus is one of the greatest coaches of all time at building programs from the ground up. He takes lower rung recruits and squeezes every drop of talent out of them until his teams are in contention. Eventually, people take notice and he is able to recruit even better talent that fits into his system. The system is the key though and that is why I would never think twice to pick Majerus over Romar. Romar is a good coach, don't get me wrong, but Majerus does more with less talent and Romar will never be mentioned in the same strata is Uncle Rick.

Not sure what you mean by ambassador, but I'm pretty sure winning more games than the other guy helps your school tremendously. Any publicity is good publicity (unless you're caught having sex with a woman in a Louisville restaurant after hours) and if the worst thing you can say about a coach is that he is tough on the poor little DI basketball players then he can't be that bad of a person. Maybe Rick Majerus isn't a good person, personally I don't feel comfortable making that assessment, but since you seem to know both coaches so well I guess I'll have to take your word for it.

Don't take his word for it. By the way, do you think slamming SLU's HC on a message board is being a good ambassador? What about slamming RM to people that ask about him? RM runs a very clean program, cares for his players and is a winner. Most people should be thrilled. I guess a few have other priorities. RM will be the best thing that every happened to this program (second to Dr. Chaifetz) and a few people will bask in the glory in the years to come but will still slap him in the face. What fools!

Its all about titles!

The titles are coming...

I definitely agree. Conference titles are the crowning achievements to regular season play. With that in mind, Majerus is one of the greatest coaches of all time at building programs from the ground up. He takes lower rung recruits and squeezes every drop of talent out of them until his teams are in contention. Eventually, people take notice and he is able to recruit even better talent that fits into his system. The system is the key though and that is why I would never think twice to pick Majerus over Romar. Romar is a good coach, don't get me wrong, but Majerus does more with less talent and Romar will never be mentioned in the same strata is Uncle Rick.

Agreed. Exactly! That is why RM having top 50 recruits mentioning SLU really doesn't mean as much as it would with other coaches, the likes of Romar, et al. RM finds talent and knows they will gel with his system. He is effective in this regard and can coach the hell out of these guys. These other coaches need the talent to compensate for the disparity in coaching expertise.

Romar is no slouch, but RM is in on a different level altogether.

Agreed. Exactly! That is why RM having top 50 recruits mentioning SLU really doesn't mean as much as it would with other coaches, the likes of Romar, et al. RM finds talent and knows they will gel with his system. He is effective in this regard and can coach the hell out of these guys. These other coaches need the talent to compensate for the disparity in coaching expertise.

You are correct

Romar mostly let em play and they got hot for him at the right time.

RM actually has a plan and a staff.

Romar and Cameron (cash) Dollar got in trouble soon after they left SLU for recruiting violations.

Romar's big recruit was going to be Darius Miles-who would have never been acceptable to SLU as a student.

Romar was a fine gentleman, father, role model and had a great P-R with the local media.

RM on the other hand is a fine coach and pretty much a reluse when it comes to media and public relations

Romar would never have made the statements RM has made about SLU being his final stop-we were a stepping stone to Romar-like Spoon; with RM it is

really about the kids he is teaching to be a basketball team and understand basketball.

Romar would never have made the statements RM has made about SLU being his final stop-we were a stepping stone to Romar-like Spoon; with RM it is

really about the kids he is teaching to be a basketball team and understand basketball.

SLU was NOT a stepping stone for Charlie Spoonhour. He wouldn't have stayed for seven years if it had been. And he took the UNLV job (IIRC) more to get his son, Jay, a shot at being a head coach, in my opinion.

Nice theory but too bad you have NOTHING to back it up. 3 to 4 top 50 recruits, none knew about our facilities and then all said no b/c of them. I am sure you personally talked with each of them too. Give me a break!! :lol:

Romar was/is a nice guy and obviously is a good D1 coach but he did not get the job done here at SLU. Fact.

Agreed, his recruiting strategy was a sham. Yeah, big names got us excited, but he didn't land a one of them. He thought his mere presence could compete with the likes of KY, UCLA, etc. Dumb. He'd have been much better served had he gone after SIU's recruits. And even if we had the Fetz, that wouldn't have kept him from taking the UW job. It was his alma mater and brighter lights of the Pac 10 (read TV exposure). SLU was a stepping stone job for him, and when he left us there wasn't much left in the cupboard. Yeah, great ambassador, nice guy, yada yada yada yada.... the same could be said for Barack Obama. A lot of style but very little substance. He's doing well at UW so good for him, but I still don't see where he was good for SLU other than drawing up the defense that broke Kenyon Martin's leg.

SLU was NOT a stepping stone for Charlie Spoonhour. He wouldn't have stayed for seven years if it had been. And he took the UNLV job (IIRC) more to get his son, Jay, a shot at being a head coach, in my opinion.

I agree. I think Spoon felt he'd held up his end of the bargain, but SLU didn't and wasn't going to, so he left. Had Fr. B been more in tune with him, who knows, he might still be here.

I figure this topic ought to throw Roy into a tizzy. With the win over UMass, coach Rick now has 52 wins in less than 3 seasons. Romar had just 51 wins in 3 complete seasons. Rick is now 8th all time in wins at SLU.

It didn't take me 3 years to figure that out.

Romar was a great guy, good rep for the program, but it comes down to coaching and recruiting. He couldn't coach here, not sure if he was tough enough on the players, and he couldn't recruit to a school like St. Louis. He is a great recruiter to schools like Pepperdine, UCLA, and Washington, but those campuses are amazing and his recruiting fits well into those programs.

He needs to give Spoon a big thank you for his NCAA tourney appearance at SLU. And to the players like Redden, a starter and coach on the floor during the CUSA tourney. When Redden started at the end of the year, good things happened.

I don't think that Roy meant that RM is a "bad person" in the grand scheme of things, just that LR carried himself in a more positive light in terms of "being an ambassador for the school." I take that to mean that Romar never said things and acted the way that rick has recently re: the conference alignment.

Its all about titles!

I couldn't gave a crap who wins the A10 regular season. If it's the Bills great. It's all about the NCAA Tourney. Granted winning conference titles may help with seeding but no one I know can remember if Seth Curry led James Madison to the conference title. They'll sure as hell remember the tourney run.......

I don't think that Roy meant that RM is a "bad person" in the grand scheme of things, just that LR carried himself in a more positive light in terms of "being an ambassador for the school." I take that to mean that Romar never said things and acted the way that rick has recently re: the conference alignment.

++++

exactly. romar honored his committements. went out of his way to be positive about all things slu, was a friend to every billiken fan/booster and he was out and about interacting with fans and the public everywhere in st louis. he always was willing to greet the public and it was always with a smile and a handshake and the belief that person was important.

i believe eventually things would have fallen into place for romar, especially if he would have had the budget and facility that rick is afforded now. and i will say that romar never complained publically. many times i heard him say, "we just have to figure out how to get it done."

that said, there is no arguing results. majerus is winning and winning at least a year ahead of time in a very difficult conference. granted he doesnt have to play memphis, louisville, marquette etc of a very good CUSA but the A-10 is now what CUSA was then, the next best conference after the BCS teams. so in reality, you cant even bring that into play. majerus is the better coach.

++++

exactly. romar honored his committements. went out of his way to be positive about all things slu, was a friend to every billiken fan/booster and he was out and about interacting with fans and the public everywhere in st louis. he always was willing to greet the public and it was always with a smile and a handshake and the belief that person was important.

i believe eventually things would have fallen into place for romar, especially if he would have had the budget and facility that rick is afforded now. and i will say that romar never complained publically. many times i heard him say, "we just have to figure out how to get it done."

that said, there is no arguing results. majerus is winning and winning at least a year ahead of time in a very difficult conference. granted he doesnt have to play memphis, louisville, marquette etc of a very good CUSA but the A-10 is now what CUSA was then, the next best conference after the BCS teams. so in reality, you cant even bring that into play. majerus is the better coach.

If Romar had inherited the mess he left Brad or the mess the Brad left Rick there would be no one questioning who the better coach is. Romar might have begun landing top flight kids or he might not. We'll never know.

Except SLU was on offense when Martin collided with Justin Love and broke his leg.

thicks i dont think that is true. i was sitting in the second row behind the billikens bench and it happened right in front of me in the first half. i.e. we would have been on defense in front of our bench in the first half.

martin was setting an illegal screen on love. love was trying to fight through the screen, their legs got tangled and down they went.

that's the way i remember it.

thicks i dont think that is true. i was sitting in the second row behind the billikens bench and it happened right in front of me in the first half. i.e. we would have been on defense in front of our bench in the first half.

martin was setting an illegal screen on love. love was trying to fight through the screen, their legs got tangled and down they went.

Let's go to the videotape. The tape appears to be from the early 1930's.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Trying to get in Justin Love's way while he was moving was not a good idea. He was one of the most physical guards that I have seen.

Been a long time since i've seen that vid. Makes me laugh now to hear roy constantly mention "SLU was winning when martin went down," since they were up 7-4...

Yeah, you're right. But my point that Martin's injury was not a result of intent or planning on Romar's or SLU's part stands.