Friendly BlueCrew Advice

SLUSAE

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a suggestion for my fellow student section members--

I think the student section/Blue Crew need to just get random. The more random the better. For instance, the big heads, people in Chewbacca outfits, etc. If people are having fun in the student section, then more kids will want to come, regardless of the competition we play. The sombreros are an excellent touch and should probably be brought back and worn by a few students.

I think we could brand SLU basketball as random, much like our mascot. What's a Billiken? Ridiculousness.

I have a suggestion for my fellow student section members--

I think the student section/Blue Crew need to just get random. The more random the better. For instance, the big heads, people in Chewbacca outfits, etc. If people are having fun in the student section, then more kids will want to come, regardless of the competition we play. The sombreros are an excellent touch and should probably be brought back and worn by a few students.

I think we could brand SLU basketball as random, much like our mascot. What's a Billiken? Ridiculousness.

Could not agree more.

The self anointed and self proclaimed leaders of bluecrew like Billikenfan05 however do not support this kind of diversity. People like him and bk just seem to be anti greek or anybody that does not have "the right" to make up their own cheers. BK, if you actually looked around you would know that the student section is not segregated between greeks and non greeks. That should not even be an issue.

I'm not arguing that there should not be leaders. We need them and they do alot in terms of organization and behind the scenes work (i.e. the balloons, foil, t-shirts, etc). But do we currently have the right ones? To be respected you have to be respectable. Think about it.

Like Runnin' said if you have something you want to talk to me about do it through PMs or come talk to me during a game, you obviously know who I am.

I agree with everything that has been said here. The "student section" had been pretty bad the first 12-15 home games. It was the same 20-40 kids including SLUSAE, normanorr and myself and the "blue crew". this lackluster turn out for these games as well as for the last couple years has made it very hard for any unity to exist. also, because of this we really dont know how to run or organize a student section's cheers, giveaways and such (no offense). it has been just groups of students sitting with their friends doing their own cheers. one group would make fun of the other groups cheers if they didnt like them. there was no student unity because many felt there was nothing to unify for (team's performance) . similarly, theres nothing for us to pull from and say well that worked cuz we have never been able to try something with numbers until now. thats why we dont have "cheers" that work because weve never had enough input from other people. it has been the "blue crew" and then groups of students. ill be gone next year but i hope the blue crew does open up more. not a knock on them. if you ask the casual or even die hard bills fan who is a student their perception will be that the "blue crew" is a club. its not their fault its the just how things developed. next year the blue crew should open up and start the year off with an open meeting and let people voice their opinions about how things should be done so the STUDENT SECTION can all be on the same page. i think that after this year more people will continue to attend games (and thus will attend the meeting) and care about the team. as i said in the past they were the only ones who were in the position to plan anything, so we have to respect what has been done so far because if we want it to change then we need to show up and do it. sorry for the ramblings. go bills!

I agree with everything that has been said here. The "student section" had been pretty bad the first 12-15 home games. It was the same 20-40 kids including SLUSAE, normanorr and myself and the "blue crew". this lackluster turn out for these games as well as for the last couple years has made it very hard for any unity to exist. also, because of this we really dont know how to run or organize a student section's cheers, giveaways and such (no offense). it has been just groups of students sitting with their friends doing their own cheers. one group would make fun of the other groups cheers if they didnt like them. there was no student unity because many felt there was nothing to unify for (team's performance) . similarly, theres nothing for us to pull from and say well that worked cuz we have never been able to try something with numbers until now. thats why we dont have "cheers" that work because weve never had enough input from other people. it has been the "blue crew" and then groups of students. ill be gone next year but i hope the blue crew does open up more. not a knock on them. if you ask the casual or even die hard bills fan who is a student their perception will be that the "blue crew" is a club. its not their fault its the just how things developed. next year the blue crew should open up and start the year off with an open meeting and let people voice their opinions about how things should be done so the STUDENT SECTION can all be on the same page. i think that after this year more people will continue to attend games (and thus will attend the meeting) and care about the team. as i said in the past they were the only ones who were in the position to plan anything, so we have to respect what has been done so far because if we want it to change then we need to show up and do it. sorry for the ramblings. go bills!

If that is how people feel then the term Blue Crew should be completely abolished because it is counter-productive.

UNITE THE CLANS!

Posted Image

I love jimbo. :rolleyes: He is a Billikens.com treasure.

i dont think we should abolish the term it just needs to go through an evolution per say. if you have to pay $150 or whatever it is for season tickets and a t shirt to be part of blue crew it gets the club identity. i agree we jimbo lets just ####### put it all behind us and get ready for the d### game wednesday. the players havent been working their @$$es off all year for us students to be fighting about titles and who does what and ruine the good vibes at the chai of recent times. if we want to fight about that lets get it over with BEFORE wednesday so we can work our own @$$es off for 2 hours to help the team win.

i agree we jimbo lets just ####### put it all behind us and get ready for the d### game wednesday. the players havent been working their @$$es off all year for us students to be fighting about titles and who does what and ruine the good vibes at the chai of recent times. if we want to fight about that lets get it over with BEFORE wednesday so we can work our own @$$es off for 2 hours to help the team win.

Agreed. This is just discussion. Nothing that happens here is in any way going to change the fact that I am going to work my ******* ass off for 40 minutes of basketball Wednesday. I don't take any of it personally even if I disagree with the opinion. I'm happy that we have students that are passionate enough on the issue to take strong opinions. We should be discussing it, because that's how things get done. If you think we should do something or have an opinion to express, PLEASE do so. Comment or start a thread. It can only help in the long run. SAE, kc, and others: the only thing that could negatively impact things would be holding these opinions in. Keep it coming. :rolleyes:

i usually stand closer to the top of the student section, just because i am usually a bit late to the games usually with homework and such, and my only complaint is that a lot of times it just seems separated from top to bottom with the cheers. I think a cool thing would be if we maybe had a little whiteboard like the band, and we could let the people higher up know what cheer is coming or at least like they said at least put a meeting or something together so that we can all get on the same page......but I do love the random cheering. sometimes the kids on top just start their own cheers....just make noise I think is great.....We are doing a great job here lately, and for the big games like dayton, everyone is able to catch on to the cheers eventually.....i appreciate anyone who is willing to take the role of leader, and I like that anyone can start a cheer still.........lets go all out for xavier.....signs, costumes, whatever.....just make sure everyone is wearing white......the pop-up move is always debatable on whether it truly works, but until it stops working, might as well use it........just make noise and get fired up for the game.........spread the news, maybe you'll get a first-timer who has some great cheer ideas from high school or something......the biggest thing is that we support the team, and make it a tough environment for the other team.....we want to make Chaifetz a scary place to play for opponents....

lets go slu

When everyone waves around like maniacs doing a hundred different things, it becomes just white noise to the shooter. If everyone does one thing at one time to make the shooter feel like he's moving it is more likely to make him miss. The stats don't lie.

Agreed...I think that is more distracting and you're right, the stats don't lie. Keep it up 05.

Bottom line

big crowd in student section = exciting arena

no crowd in student section = not so exciting arena

The Blue Crew does a great job but there is only so much you can do with 50 people.

Now that the student section is filling up the atmosphe is great.

My seat are across from the SLU bench so Im pretty far away from the student section. And to be honest half of the cheers I have no idea what you are saying, but it doesnt matter because it is loud and the excitment spreads throughout

Whenever the student section is rocking the rest of the arena is 100 times louder.

Agreed...I think that is more distracting and you're right, the stats don't lie. Keep it up 05.

I like when everybody bends down and jumps up I think it looks great

But I think the stats may lie.

Im pretty sure that every team shoots a worse FT % in the second half because of tired legs and more pressure.

That being said I like it and hope you guys stick with it

UNITE THE CLANS!

Posted Image

+1, hilarious!!!

My opinion is that I'm fine with the whole student section being referred to as the "Blue Crew", sure some may be more active

as others but as long as everyone wears blue (that would be the one "requirement") Now, certainly the more raucous the better. It does help if there is some organization though as far as cheers and stuff go.

But you know, I think students have the right to sit there and not participate (they are evil and lose their privelage to be called Billikens, though.)...j/k

And, i'm in the minority but I always liked "You, You, oooooon YOU!" but not the "and your momma too." part....

I like when everybody bends down and jumps up I think it looks great

But I think the stats may lie.

Im pretty sure that every team shoots a worse FT % in the second half because of tired legs and more pressure.

That being said I like it and hope you guys stick with it

OK, we saw a -28% differential in 1st half vs. 2nd half for Dayton and URI with a sample size of 35. For a control group, let's compare to the 4 Christmas break games when the student section consisted of me, 05, another guy, with some help from Redbird fan and family, NH, and Jimbo. Definitely not an intimidating crowd.

1st half 2nd half

Belmont 6-9, 67% 14-18, 78%

Mo State 9-11, 82% 17-19, 90%

UMKC 4-6, 67% 7-11, 64%

Eastern 0-0, N/A 5-7, 71%

Total 19-26, 73% 43-55, 78%

So for Christmas break we had a 1st half-2nd half differential of +5%, and the last two games have been -28% with sample sizes of 81 and 35.

There are other variables between these games, but a difference of 33% (or 3 points per game, if you consider a team taking 10 2nd half FT's) is very striking. Something is definitely working.

If that is how people feel then the term Blue Crew should be completely abolished because it is counter-productive.

Suggestions for alternate names for the student section:

• SLUnatics
  • Billikrazies
  • Midtown Maniacs
  • SLUney Bin
  • Midtown Mob
  • Midtown Mafia
  • Compton Crazies
  • Lindell Lunatics
  • Laclede Lunatics
  • Majerus Mafia
  • Majerus Maniacs

I'll post more if I think of them.

Suggestions for alternate names for the student section:

• SLUnatics
  • Billikrazies
  • Midtown Maniacs
  • SLUney Bin
  • Midtown Mob
  • Midtown Mafia
  • Compton Crazies
  • Lindell Lunatics
  • Laclede Lunatics
  • Majerus Mafia
  • Majerus Maniacs

I'll post more if I think of them.

I dont understand what is wrong with the blue crew?

Could not agree more.

The self anointed and self proclaimed leaders of bluecrew like Billikenfan05 however do not support this kind of diversity. People like him and bk just seem to be anti greek or anybody that does not have "the right" to make up their own cheers. BK, if you actually looked around you would know that the student section is not segregated between greeks and non greeks. That should not even be an issue.

I'm not arguing that there should not be leaders. We need them and they do alot in terms of organization and behind the scenes work (i.e. the balloons, foil, t-shirts, etc). But do we currently have the right ones? To be respected you have to be respectable. Think about it.

1.I have always supported diversity and including the greeks, ask anybody, I have pushed for the athletic department and even brainstormed with them on how to involve the greeks. We NEED them!

2. There absolutely is a bit of defacto segregation between the greeks and the lower group in the student section. This goes back to the days of Scottrade, when it was mostly the hardcores who came to every game due to the difficulty of getting to the arena, I remember being heckled by the Sig Eps(most of them have now graduated) countless times at scottrade.

3.Great post slufan.

4.Also great post KC The term Blue Crew can stay IMO, I was for its removal early this season but now I think different. I have had conversations with people who handle student marketing about it. My idea was that you sell student season tickets and offer a free Billiken Basketball shirt with that purchase. Then for the home opener give every student in attendance a Blue Crew t-shirt. p.s. I like midtown maniacs/mob/mafia

I also understand that I have also been combative at times and I need to chill out. I love the Billikens and have since I was very young. I understand that I get overly excited and lose my head if someone disagrees with me at a game. It's all in the past. Let's get behind OUR Billikens and help them win the last 3 home games!!!!!!!

1.I have always supported diversity and including the greeks, ask anybody, I have pushed for the athletic department and even brainstormed with them on how to involve the greeks. We NEED them!

2. There absolutely is a bit of defacto segregation between the greeks and the lower group in the student section. This goes back to the days of Scottrade, when it was mostly the hardcores who came to every game due to the difficulty of getting to the arena, I remember being heckled by the Sig Eps(most of them have now graduated) countless times at scottrade.

3.Great post slufan.

4.Also great post KC The term Blue Crew can stay IMO, I was for its removal early this season but now I think different. I have had conversations with people who handle student marketing about it. My idea was that you sell student season tickets and offer a free Billiken Basketball shirt with that purchase. Then for the home opener give every student in attendance a Blue Crew t-shirt. p.s. I like midtown maniacs/mob/mafia

I also understand that I have also been combative at times and I need to chill out. I love the Billikens and have since I was very young. I understand that I get overly excited and lose my head if someone disagrees with me at a game. It's all in the past. Let's get behind OUR Billikens and help them win the last 3 home games!!!!!!!

Why can't we all just get along? We finally have a great student section coming and participating in the games. 05 is not the enemy, the visiting teams are.

The only thing that bugs me about the term Blue Crew is that it seems like every school that has blue as their color (which is a pretty large number) uses Blue Crew as their student cheering group name. I know St. Louis U High has a Blue Crew and at Rockhurst a group tried to start up a cheering group called the Blue Crew as well. If the students have no problem with it then its okay. It works and it probably has a broader appeal than other terms that some might think are over the top or lame.

I think Midtown Maniacs was my favorite of the list I gave as well. Having considered it more I'm not sure you can give yourselves a name like that though without seeming kinda lame. Maybe a few more games like the Dayton game and a raucous student section next year and someone on the board can tell Timmerman, Earl, or Ramsey to start using that term and see if it sticks.