Friendly BlueCrew Advice

SLUSAE

Dear BlueCrew,

As a fellow student I feel compelled to offer you all some friendly advice:

1) No one can hear the "Aussie Aussie Aussie" cheer correctly. Here is how it sounds: "silence....silence...silence...Hoi Hoi Hoi." Instead of just one person saying the Aussie Aussie Aussie (which no one but himself can hear), maybe everyone should say it together, or have the band say Aussie Aussie Aussie, and we can say Hoi Hoi Hoi.

2) " You You on You and your mamma too" seems kind of grade schoolish. We are an aspiring top 50 division 1 basketball program. Step it up.

Again, this was intended to be friendly advice. Like everyone here, I am just trying to create a better home court advantage for the bills. Looking forward to your feedback.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear BlueCrew,

1) No one can hear the "Aussie Aussie Aussie" cheer correctly. Here is how it sounds: "silence....silence...silence...Hoi Hoi Hoi." Instead of just one person saying the Aussie Aussie Aussie (which no one but himself can hear), maybe everyone should say it together, or have the band say Aussie Aussie Aussie, and we can say Hoi Hoi Hoi.

2) " You You on You and your mamma too" seems kind of grade schoolish. We are an aspiring top 50 division 1 basketball program. Step it up.

Again, this was intended to be friendly advice. Like everyone here, I am just trying to create a better home court advantage for the bills. Looking forward to your feedback.

I hate that stupid chant.

Dear BlueCrew,

+1

I hate that stupid chant.

Agree, agree, agree been saying this all year

we need some nuts and bolts cheers...lets get nuts cheers and gods on our side refs on yours cheers.

my jesuit high school had better cheers than we do.

however just advice, I cant complain at all as more people are finally showing up and getting involved. Id rather hear loud noises that sound "childish" as sae said than nothing at all.

I think we students need to get together and figure this out so its not the blue crew people saying one thing and then the vast majority of other students saying the another.

Also, can we all say "When you say SAINT LOUIS, you've said it all?" and cut out the "AB St. Louis, MO" part? Let's all get on one page. Oh, and again in the mood of friendliness, can we get the donor/season ticket holder posters on here to help spread the cheers into the crowd? I know you guys know 'em and when to do 'em!

The Aussie cheer is great. Y'all ought to just change it to a call and response with the band side. (That is -- Students: Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! Band: Hoi! Hoi! Hoi!)

First time poster! I've lurked this board for far too long and I feel that I should finally contribute. Regarding the aussie cheer, i think the call and response with the band is a great idea. i've been in contact with mike (director of the band) all season to work on collaboration with the student section, and this one sounds like a winner. i'll shoot him an email to see if he can get the whole band on it. Let's all agree that the student section will start, "aussie aussie aussie" and the band will respond "hoi hoi hoi." we'll be much louder, better atmosphere, everybody wins. the band just needs to pull their weight on the vocals.... you all in?

on a final note, kcbilliken, just as a clarification, there is no distinction between the Blue Crew and the student section. every student in the stands supporting our team is a member of the blue crew. i point this out only to show that we are all one unit and we all work together for the bills!

Also, can we all say "When you say SAINT LOUIS, you've said it all?" and cut out the "AB St. Louis, MO" part? Let's all get on one page. Oh, and again in the mood of friendliness, can we get the donor/season ticket holder posters on here to help spread the cheers into the crowd? I know you guys know 'em and when to do 'em!

Neuner, I'm going to scream BUDWEISER at the top of my lungs till the day I die. Deal with it.

As for the rest of you:

1) That chant is overused. And poorly done.

2) Then come up with something better I'm all ears. But don't tell us, tell the band. We have no control over what they do.

See you Wednesday

Dear BlueCrew,

Friendly advice for the fraternities who come: (SLU SAE was poster but any fraternity applies)

"We are an aspiring top 50 division 1 basketball program. Step it up" If you go to any top 50 division 1 basketball game, there is one unified student section. If you look at SLU's student section it consists of a large student section and then some fraternities that sit just beyond them as a group. I totally understand why you guys sit together because brotherhood is an important aspect of fraternities. But regardless of what you personally may think, I think a number of students who sit in the "blue crew" section as you call it, perceive you guys as not wanting anything to do with the "blue crew" I was at a game where a fraternity was chanting "blue crew you suck". No matter the chants are changed to, we won't be a solid top 50 basketball program student section until the fraternities change. If you don't like some of the chants, that's fine. Blue Crew is new and 4 years ago there really weren't chants because no one went to the games. So I am sure the Blue Crew would be open to suggestions. So I am sure blue crew appreciates the suggestions made above and I am sure they appreciate the more proactive approach than the reactive approach. But at the same time keep in mind, when sodas are being thrown on the court from a fraternity section (sigma chi) and fraternities chant "blue crew you suck" you aren't earning a lot of respect nor contributing a lot to a top 50 caliber student section.

Not sure what year you are at SLU, but for years we would include the "When you say Budweiser, You've Said it All! Anheuser-Busch, St. Louis, MO" at the end of You've Said it All. Do you know who made the request that we switch to "When you say Saint Louis?" None other than Coach Majerus. With him being from Wisconsin, he likes it when the University of Wisconsin Band concludes their version of the song with "When you say Wisconsin, you've said it all." The Band has agreed to that request, but I'll admit it was a little difficult at first.

Friendly advice for the fraternities who come: (SLU SAE was poster but any fraternity applies)

"We are an aspiring top 50 division 1 basketball program. Step it up" If you go to any top 50 division 1 basketball game, there is one unified student section. If you look at SLU's student section it consists of a large student section and then some fraternities that sit just beyond them as a group. I totally understand why you guys sit together because brotherhood is an important aspect of fraternities. But regardless of what you personally may think, I think a number of students who sit in the "blue crew" section as you call it, perceive you guys as not wanting anything to do with the "blue crew" I was at a game where a fraternity was chanting "blue crew you suck". No matter the chants are changed to, we won't be a solid top 50 basketball program student section until the fraternities change. If you don't like some of the chants, that's fine. Blue Crew is new and 4 years ago there really weren't chants because no one went to the games. So I am sure the Blue Crew would be open to suggestions. So I am sure blue crew appreciates the suggestions made above and I am sure they appreciate the more proactive approach than the reactive approach. But at the same time keep in mind, when sodas are being thrown on the court from a fraternity section (sigma chi) and fraternities chant "blue crew you suck" you aren't earning a lot of respect nor contributing a lot to a top 50 caliber student section.

Great Post. IMO This has gotten better, mostly because the Students who get crazy at games have increased in number.

PLEASE PEOPLE WE ARE ALL ON THE SAME TEAM AND ALL BLUE CREW!

BLUE CREW IS THE NAME OF THE SECTION NOT A DAMN ORGANIZATION!!!

Another suggestion for the student section:

Everyone sitting down and then jumping up right when the other team is about to shoot a free throw doesn't work. Only a portion of the student section does it and I feel we are more of a distraction when everyone screams and waves around. Getting silent and sitting down is somewhat counter-productive in my opinion.

Great Post. IMO This has gotten better, mostly because the Students who get crazy at games have increased in number.

PLEASE PEOPLE WE ARE ALL ON THE SAME TEAM AND ALL BLUE CREW!

BLUE CREW IS THE NAME OF THE SECTION NOT A DAMN ORGANIZATION!!!

That's not true. Blue Crew is a student organization. The STUDENT SECTION is where Blue Crew sits as well as the rest of the student body.

That's not true. Blue Crew is a student organization. The STUDENT SECTION is where Blue Crew sits as well as the rest of the student body.

But, the student section goes by the name of the blue crew. Like the cameron crazies (obviously to a lesser extent)

Do I detect a flaw in branding and marketing? :rolleyes:

Doesn't matter who is called who, what is called what.

There may be an organization by the name of blue crew. But this is because there needs to be an organization - or group of students - to organize things. This way if you have constructive advice, there is a group of leaders to approach to work with and have a dialogue/discussion with instead of a monologue. But just because there is a group or leaders / or "organization" doesn't mean that just anyone can't join in chants etc. Don't let confusion over a name stop unity.

can't we all just get along?

GO BILLS!

Another suggestion for the student section:

Everyone sitting down and then jumping up right when the other team is about to shoot a free throw doesn't work. Only a portion of the student section does it and I feel we are more of a distraction when everyone screams and waves around. Getting silent and sitting down is somewhat counter-productive in my opinion.

False.

Look at the stats of Dayton and Rhode Island game.

1st half: 5-7, 71%, 1-2, 50%, combined 6-9, 66%

2nd half: 5-13, 39%, 4-11, 36%, combined 9-24, 38%

That's a difference of 28% between halves. That is undeniable. The hand waving and screaming is the thing that never worked. Rhody and Dayton missed 4 critical late game 1 & 1's when we did it.

If people around you aren't doing it, then encourage them to do so. It has worked, it is working, and will continue to work as long as we keep doing it. These guys hear screaming and waving all day every day on the road. It does nothing. Random motion doesn't affect them. Concerted motion does.

False.

Look at the stats of Dayton and Rhode Island game.

1st half: 5-7, 71%, 1-2, 50%, combined 6-9, 66%

2nd half: 5-13, 39%, 4-11, 36%, combined 9-24, 38%

That's a difference of 28% between halves. That is undeniable. The hand waving and screaming is the thing that never worked. Rhody and Dayton missed 4 critical late game 1 & 1's when we did it.

If people around you aren't doing it, then encourage them to do so. It has worked, it is working, and will continue to work as long as we keep doing it. These guys hear screaming and waving all day every day on the road. It does nothing. Random motion doesn't affect them. Concerted motion does.

+1 and +1 to BK

This is ridiculous. Why is everyone giving "friendly" advice. If you have a better idea, DO IT! PLEASE I think we all are on the same team. I love the unity BK is preaching. If you want a cheer started, START IT. New material is always welcome! GO BILLIKENS BABY!!!!

+1 and +1 to BK

If you have a better idea, DO IT! PLEASE I think we all are on the same team. I love the unity BK is preaching. If you want a cheer started, START IT. New material is always welcome! GO BILLIKENS BABY!!!!

And if it's good, it will stick. We had never done "Let's go bills" as one of the in-game cheers, but someone started it once, and it worked. I agree with 05. If you've got something and want it done, just start it. If it's good, people will do it. We are indeed on the same team, with the same goal: W. I just want to do whatever gives us the best chance to get one.

+1 and +1 to BK

This is ridiculous. Why is everyone giving "friendly" advice. If you have a better idea, DO IT! PLEASE I think we all are on the same team. I love the unity BK is preaching. If you want a cheer started, START IT. New material is always welcome! GO BILLIKENS BABY!!!!

"Friendly advice?" I've seen you yell at the band when they start chants you think you own. Stop acting like you own the student section.

"Friendly advice?" I've seen you yell at the band when they start chants you think you own. Stop acting like you own the student section.

Sounds like these two have some business to sort out through PM's. Does 05 go overboard on a regular basis? Yes. Does that make him a bad guy? No. He's just trying to spread excitement and gets to caught up in it sometimes. Remember guys, same team.