who is everyone

former_d1

SLU grad (BA '86) with Wisconsin roots [grew up rooting for Marquette & UWGB while still D-II--yes the Phoenix had Dieners on the team back then]. Even with Wisconsin roots I believe Saint Louis has better frozen custard especially Ted Drewes (although Wisconsin has more of it and Kopps is very good). Wisconsin makes much better beer though, especially Sprecher.

I met some of the best people I have ever known in my life my four years at SLU.

Very passionate Billiken fan while a student and made every home game which was made easier that I got paid to go (I was an usher and turned down the opportunity to BE the Billiken my senior as there was no money in it) I shook John Calipari's hand when he was the grad assistant at Kansas and came to olde Kiel (was snubbed by Larry Brown when I extended my hand in his direction). Once dunked over Pee Wee Leonard in nerf basketball and was once posterized by an ICE-siah Singletary dunk at the rec center. Once retrieved the game ball from underneath the temporary stands at the end of the olde Kiel court (opposite from student/stage side) during a sparsely attended game against Oklahoma City. There were NO people in those seats at all and the ball bounce over the stands hit the permanent rail and rolled way under the stands. Game delayed by a few minutes but I got a smattering of applause. I bring this up because it was a very different era back then--SLU's great attendance in the 90's should be a source of pride.

Attended the two NIT semi-final wins in the late 80's but was not there for the finals losses. Another SLU grad's brother got me great seats both times.

Noted also for delivering fresh halftime stats to the student section(normally mimeo'd for just the press at that time). Technology and flashy scoreboards makes my innovation obsolete today.

Have lived all over since leaving St. Louis in 86. Currently living in Boston area and very busy working as a health economist based out of the UMass Med School. Right now I have plans to visit St. Louis for a basketball game this year (my fiancee has never been). Will be in Dayton if SLU soccer makes the final four.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

I was out of town when this started so I did not see it. I am 58 (old!!!) and a double grad of SLU-- played basketball on the freshman team--when they needed non scholarship players to help them practice. I played and coached(grade school, junior high and select teams) basketball for more than 30 years. I have 3 kids, 32, 30 and 20. They are diehard Bills fans.My wife is also a SLU grad and we are loud and supportive, diehard Bills fans.

Contrary to some observations, my wife and I are the loudest fans in our area and many of the younger fans seem reluctant to cheer. My dad played ball at SLU so I have been going to games since the 50s. I have hardly missed a home game since 1963. I lived and died with our Bills through some great and very tough years. I was on the exec committee of the Tip Off Club many years ago and I was a member of the committee that established the criteria for "points" that are now used to rank the season ticket holders. My rank is in the top 20 and I have great seats in the third row. I remember a lot of history that some of our younger posters may not recall. The University is much changed since I was there in the early 60s. Father Biondi has done fantastic things at the school and I love the new coach. Go Bills!

30 year old from seattle area followed the billikens since Fisher arrived. Played football and basketball in Highschool and football in college for a short time. Love college Basketball and can't wait for the season to get into full swing. Keep the updates coming after games really enjoy most of them. Hope thats what everyone was looking for.

I'm 33 years old and a lifelong area resident. Strayed to suburbs briefly, but mostly resided in city. Voracious follower of all major sports, even hockey. As many of you probably could probably surmise, I've never played organized basketball in my life. Baseball was my passion in high school and college. Tennis consumes my life now. Undergraduate degrees in finance and economics and graduate degree in economics, all from UMSL.

Sophomore Aerospace Engineering major from Cincinnati...used to be more of a Bearcats fan than Billikens (esp. when they broke Kenyon Martin's leg) but that has changed. I am also a member of the Blue Crew...i am on the exec board, VP in charge of the Blue Crew Website (www.slu.edu/organizations/bluecrew)

Tim

Grad C&F in 64. Sat between Bo Burton (bowling hall of famer) and John Cook (huge bus. school benefactor) in accounting 101. Left town after living at home all through my school days, wound up in San Francisco. Now live on island in bay. I was a walk on as a frosh for coach Fred Kovar. All the games at old Kiel were fun even when we lost in front of good crowds. The Hawks were the second best team in the NBA (couldn't beat Celtics) and how things have changed back there since those days. Props to everyone who stayed loyal to the alma mater through the lean years I've read about. This board has brought me back, thanks to you young guys putting it together. I resisted touching a computer until the millenium. Love it now!

Hey Drew! This is Brian S. I was in your class at SLUH as well, but transferred, thus eliminating my shot at triple billiken status. The last time I saw you, we were at Llewellyn's, and you were just starting law school. Hope all is well with you.

More info on me: 28, grew up in St. Louis (Des Peres), BA Communication 1997, MBA 2001. After growing up in west county, going to school in the city exposed me to all the great things that city living has to offer, and I now live about a block away from Forest Park. Still looking for Mrs. Box and Won. Currently work as a one-man marketing department for a local bank, but am looking to go into business for myself soon.

Started going to Billiken games with my dad during the Grawer years, and still have an autographed team picture from the first NIT finals team. I often miss the environment of the old Kiel. In high school, I had already been accepted to several collleges but made my decision to go to SLU at a game at the Arena in which Spoon's first team beat DePaul.

I used to haze A Bomb during our fraternity days. Actually, he was a pretty good kid unlike most of his pledge brothers. :)

I created this screen name when Triangle and Too was at the height of his absurdity, so that I could tear him a new a-hole. My plan (which now seems fairly absurd itself) was to respond to each one of his posts as his more intelligent alter ego. I was too (sorry about using that word) lazy to pull it off though. I also used to post on the old Rivals board under a different name.

My season tickets are in section 120, row J. That's the young alumni discount. For people who recently graduated, you can get a major discount on some good seats with the young alumni discount. It would be nice to fill that section up!

20 year season ticket holder, attended SLU grad school. Fom Buffalo, New York came to SLU and worked in residence life and was director of Student Life while Rich Grawer came on board and started to change the program. Was able to work closely with the athletic dept. during those exciting days and have loved the program ever since. I'm very happy with the A-10 as I grew up a Bonnie fan . Have been to Olean N.Y. to see games in the 'pit'at Bonaventure. It is a tough road trip for any team to take let alone win. With the new conference affiliation and a new building the pieces for growth are falling into place!

I have 2 SLU degrees: B.S. in Business Administration in 1982 and J.D. in 1985. The four undergraduate years coincided with the Ron Ekker Era. ... I served as SGA Athletic Committee Chairman my Senior year, and we started the SLU Crew. My roommate and I met with Ekker, who was also A.D., prior to the Bronze Boot soccer game and finally were able to convince him to allow us to restore our Billiken mascot. The Billiken wore an old SLU hockey uniform at the Bronze Boot Game at Busch Stadium and a tuxedo at the basketball games at the St. Louis Arena (then called the Checkerdome). The Billiken head sat in my dorm room at Gries. Hall Senior year. We also formed a renegade student pep band in the dorm that played at one end of the basketball court, while the rent-a-band played at the other end. Now we have a great pep band. I am so proud at how far our alma mater has come since those days.

I was a SLU law student during the first 3 years of the Rich Grawer Era. After graduating from SLU Law School, I moved to the San Francisco Bay Area in 1985. Thus, I regrettably missed the great 18-12 turnaround season of 1985-86.

I have been able to see the Billikens in person for the NCAA appearances in Baltimore, Atlanta, and Cleveland. We were all on Cloud 9 in Baltimore. I remember looking up at the scoreboard when SLU led #1 seeded Wake Forest 16-0 and thinking that I must be in heaven. Wake Forest was led by Tim Duncan.

The Billikens will always be my #1 team. We are going to be back in the Midwest over the Holidays this year, and are planning to see the Billikens play Butler and Kansas State.

52 - been a Bills fan since about age 10. By older brother use to take me to the games when he was a student at SLU. I have had season tickets from when Grawer came. Graduated from SLU in 73,75,80. Currently a top administrator in a very large school system in the St. Louis area. My son is currently attending SLU as a medical research assistant and working on his PhD. He has been a Bills fan all his life. He even wore SLU shirts when he was at Mizzou getting his undergraduate degree - somehow he has managed to be a fan of both schools BB program - a little tougher for him when they play each other.

Fall into the middle of the pack in this age group, though closer to the youngsters. Born and raised in STL, half in North St. Louis, half in West St. Louis County. Dad is SLU grad, mom went to Wash U. Been attending SLU sporting events since age 1, mostly men's hoops, and men's soccer. I also grew up going to Mizzou games, especially homecoming football every year, so I qualify as that minority group on this board who doesn't hate the other one. I know many who like one or the other, and many who like both. Very proud DeSmet high grad...in one of those eras where no opponent won there,(the atmosphere so intimidating that even Vashon had difficulty , making pre-game lay-ups) in just about any sport. the 70's, 80's and up to 90 or a little more was an electric atmosphere at sporting events, not matched there in past ten years.(apologies to recent D grads on this board, but true) played basketball, soccer, baseball, and tennis there, a couple of those in college, and one professionally for a cup of coffee. A lot of my former teammates in different sports have been very successful professionals. Good for them. Have degrees from more than one school, including SLU. For SLU ties/purposes for this board, Grew up playing ball with Rick, Kevin and the Grawers, and attended the old Kiel regularly starting in the late 70's and throughout the 80's to now. So I know a few other folks in that arena. Have lived on East Coast, West Coast and Midwest. All-time favorite SLU hoopsters are Luther Burden, Pee Wee Leonard, Roland Gray, because everyone tends to identify with who they grew up watching. I have been Rams season ticket holder since 1995. Very big Cards/Rams/Blues fan, and those sports. As I am also of college football and college hoops.

I graduated from UAB with a BS in Finance, concentrations on Financial Management and Investements & Instiutions and am now living in St. Louis. I moved here 2 months ago to be with my fiancee, a UAB grad, while she is in graduate school at UMSL. She has lived in St. Louis all of her life other than college at UAB.

Pro sports was my first love so it's great to be in St. Louis. There was nothing to do in Birmingham so I welcomed the move up here (but I HATE cold weather).

I will be rooting for SLU (except when they go down to UAB) and plan on attending some games. Hate to hear that you guys are leaving CUSA but I do understand why you would.