who is everyone

former_d1

SLUH '76; SLU '78 or '79 (economics and mathematical computer sciences); Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison '81 (MS economics). Went to school with Taj, Scrivener and Quickdraw (all of whom I knew) and B-Roy (whom I've never met in person). Old man was marketing professor/chair 1965-1998, formerly at Notre Dame, where he was indoctrinated into the whole "be true to your school" thing. (Culture shock when he got here.) Nonetheless, we've had season tix or the faculty equivalent in our family since the '66-'67 season, making this my 38th season of Billiken basketball. I now attend most games with the one of my five girls who truly loves the Bills and who aspires to play the tuba in the Billiken band (class of '15, if we stay on schedule). Professionally, I write about food and restaurants for a minor metropolitan daily newspaper.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't posted in awhile, but I check the postings every day. Graduated with my BA in Accounting from SLU in 2000. Was a member of the Baby Blues (will call them that until my dying day) from my Sophmore year through my Senior year, which included the Miracle in Memphis. I've been a Billiken fan since high school. Justin Love has been my boyfriend since senior year, and we're still going strong. :) Currently working as an Accountant at the Fox Theatre.

bonwich, i started out in the fall of 77 with hopes of a business degree in economics. after a few boring semesters in econ and accounting classes and one great elective in avis' film class, i switched over in the fall of 79 to communications. set me back a year, but imo, sure made my college experience a whole lot better. but anyway, that is probably why our paths never crossed as you were gone before i got to xavier hall.

tell justin we all think about him. and tell his dad he ought to visit the board and weigh in occasionally. he was an awesome poster back in the day.

is justin headed back to china again? what are his plans? thanks!

I grew up in small town Nebraska as a Nebraska football fan and a Creighton basketball fan. Older brother went to Creighton, so I had to go somewhere else and liked SLU when visited. Graduated in '91 in Poli Sci/History so of course I am an insurance claims adjuster. Married w/ two children, Rose 4 & Thomas 2. Have been a SLU fan since school days, would like to make more games than I do, currently 3-4 a year. Maybe someday getting the season tickets at the Biondi Dome. Obviously still a Creighton fan, if you have read my past posts, and would be very hard to pick which team to cheer for if they played each other.

27, grew up in Webster but now live out in Seattle, c/o 2000, majored in Finance.

I worked as a systems analyst at AG Edwards for a couple of years before moving to Seattle (Romar announced his move on the day I moved out here, 4/3/02). Now I'm working in Sales and considering grad school. My first SLU game was back at the Old Barn vs. the Salukis during the Highmark, H, Clags days. I'm now hoping for a SLU/UW series!!

Born and raised in East St. Louis. Graduated from Assumption High School (now a prison) and SIU. Now 59 and 24 months old. As a high school junior I led the greater St. Louis metro area in free throw percentage (1.000) as I was 2 for 2! A Billiken fan since my high school days. Remember seeing Jerry Lucas, Frank Howard (turned out to be a better baseball player) and Darryl Imhoff. Back in the day, freshman weren't eligible for varsity and played a game before the varsity game. Married to the same lady for 38 years. All three children have graduated from University of Illinois in Champaign. Retired at age 59 after 32+ years at Monsanto/Solutia, a great place to work. Watch college, juco, high school bball almost daily October 1st thru April 1st. Enjoy AAU bball April thru July. No pro-ball for me. I'm looking forward to Coach Soderberg's reign and the new arena at SLU. I have learned that at times it is not easy being a Billiken Fan.

I am 51 years old and currently living in the beautiful Pisgah Mountains of Western North Carolina. I graduated from the SLU School of Social Service with a BS in Social Work in 74 and a MSW in 75. Later I received a Masters in Pubilic Health in Hospital Administration from NY Med College. Since my Social Work clinicals at the Jefferson Barracks VA Med Ctr back in 75 I been employed by the VA. Currently work as an administrator of the aftercare/outreach departments at the Asheville VA.

Since the late 60's I have been a Bills BBall fan. Used to play bball in HS back in New York (where I grew up)and we had this game among the players on how many college games could we get on the radio. Naturally found the Bills on KMOX. Started following them intensely (even though those late 60's with Brehmer was tough). Ended up going to SLU. In my 5 years at SLU I maybe missed only 3-4 home games and that was because I went home over the holidays. In my soph-grad school years, myself and a group of friends made efforts to attend as many road games as we could get to. Called ourselves the 'Road Show'. Had shirts which mine is still in my draw. Went as far away as Drake, Tulsa, Norte Dame, SIU, Bradley, Memphis, etc... Usually in one day. Having friends on the team we always able to get tickets.

As usual you can see me at the Charlotte/SLU game (one of the reasons I am happy with the with the possibility of us going to the A10 with Charlotte). Also, be at the Georgia Tech game and possibly the UAB game.

Since I see many of us are planning on going to Atlanta for the Georgia Tech game, it maybe nice for us to get together either before or after the game for a cold one. I will be with my son. My wife is not a sports fan and I will probably have to leave her at Galleria Mall in Buckhead. Not everyone knows how to appreciate the finer things of life.

Now that I've got company, 61, SLU-IT 64, BS geophysical engineering, MBA Loyola-New Orleans 74. Never missed a home game in college. Remember a New Year's eve game against Cotton Nash and Kentucky which we won. Went on one roadtrip to Cincy to see us lose 70-40. Cincy had Oscar Robertson. Those were the John Bennington years.

Became fan probably around 8 or 9 when I had 2 sisters at SLU. Didn't go to many games then, but would curl up in a chair listening to Harry Carey do the games. He really made them exciting and that is how I got hooked. Harry used to do the away games using ticker tape and simulated crowd noise, and he still made them exciting. I remeber Eddie Hickey getting into a fist fight (maybe more than once) with Hank Iba at Oklahoma A&M (now State) during the game. It was quite a rivalry. Yes, they were both in the MVC at that time.

Moved around the country with the oil industry for 25 years(about 16 moves over that period). Was always thankful when the Bills were on KMOX so I could hear some of the games. Among the stops were Dallas(3 times), Shreveport, OK City, Los Angeles(2 times), Anchorage, Denver(2 times), and New Orleans. Married to a young lady I met in New Orleans (she graduated from SLU as in Southeastern Lousiana U.). 3 children; oldest girl expecting first grandchild, was teacher at Churchill School; middle daughter is an audiologist at Children's Hospital(both graduated from SLU), and son, 22, graduate of DeSmet, and trying to figure out what to do with his life. I have my own consulting company which markets software and services in the Geographic Information Systems area(automated mapping), as in market analysis, facilities management, and routing.

Season tickets since the move to Kiel. Sit in 119, row N.

>>Didn't go to many games then, but would curl up in a chair listening to Harry Carey do the games. He really made them exciting and that is how I got hooked. Harry used to do the away games using ticker tape and simulated crowd noise, and he still made them exciting.<<

A great piece of Billiken trivia Gister. Thanks for sharing it with us.

1971 Belleville East grad. Became avid basketball fan in 1966 when Belleville captured third in state tournament. Then became Billiken fan when Joe Wiley chose SLU. Was a basketball manager for two years for Belleville East. Entered Air Force in 1972, after my draft lottery number came up as number 9. Stayed in Air Force until 1995 and remained in Omaha. Now work as a Computer System Administrator. Make it down for at least one Billiken game per winter. Son attends Creighton. Had a late friend who would mail me Post Dispatch clippings of Billiken articles whenever I was overseas or out of the St Louis area. Still have most of those clippings. Still play in a Basketball league but it gets harder every year to get up and down the court.

slu72. I was at the Notre Dame game in 70 also. That was one of the best games I remember seeing. However I can only remember a few things about the game. Didn't the Bills continually beat the ND press by Rogers passing over the press to a breaking Jimmy Irving? Didn't Stallworth hold Carr to about 12 points below his average. He scored 24 points while averaging 36. And didn't Carr score that winning basket with about 6 seconds left. It was one of those almost games that the Bills had for about 25 years however I think that is over now as they have beaten some very good quality opponents over the last several years. Thanks. One other thing about that game. Somehow I believe the Freshman team played before the game led by Charlie Reese and Steve Dangos.

A&S '64' and MSW '70.' Attended almost all home games and some road trips as well during my undergraduate days. In December, 1962 my former college roommate and I lead the march in which we hung/burned John Bennington in effigy during the 2nd half of the SLU @ Ohio State game. When I was in college I was a resident of Onio and had friends at OSU. After a week of meetings with SLU administrators we both receive a semester of social probation for our behavior. Got to know John Bennington after that incident and he was a real gentleman and gracious individual.

Interesting to see who you all are. I have been reading the posts since I became a SLU fan in the middle of April 2003 when Bryce signed his letter. I, more than any of you am curious to see how he does this year and the next 3 or 4.

By the way, 49, Iowa, self-employed doing sales, training and consulting in the automobile world.

"Be careful what you say on here about Bryce, his mother can be very mean, I know I have lived with her a long time.":)

Welcome to the board Mr. Husak. Your son picked a great university. We also hope that Bryce has a very successful career at SLU. Hopefully, he will have the change to play in a brand new arena the last few years of his career at SLU.

>Interesting to see who you all are. I have been reading the

>posts since I became a SLU fan in the middle of April 2003

>when Bryce signed his letter. I, more than any of you am

>curious to see how he does this year and the next 3 or 4.

>

>By the way, 49, Iowa, self-employed doing sales, training

>and consulting in the automobile world.

>

>"Be careful what you say on here about Bryce, his mother can

>be very mean, I know I have lived with her a long time.":)

SLUdaddy, any inside info on the decision of whether or not Bryce redshirts this seasons? I think the concensus on the board is that with Ian suspended for the first 10 games, the Bills won't redshirt Bryce as they'll need his minutes this year.

54-grew up in Dogtown, CBC 67',BS Engineering Management-U of Missouri-Rolla 71', MBA SIUE 80'. Oldest daughter graduated in Dec. 2002 with Masters in PT from SLU (she was a SLU cheerleader), son is a senior at Eastern Illinois, and daughter is a junior in PT at SLU. Have lived in O Fallon, Illinois for 20 years. Took early retirement from SBC a couple years ago. Looking for something else to do, just haven't figured out what it is yet.

Remember listening to Bills on the radio with my mom and dad when Harry use to do the games.

StlCardinal is only kidding of course. I'm far from a wolf...more like a lamb. He knows that there is no one on this earth he trusts more than SLURadioBoy! Admit it StlCardinal!!! ADMIT IT!!! :)

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

My quick Billiken autobiography:

SLUH '75, SLU '79, then put in time at Northwestern, UMSL, Mizzou, Washington U., finally giving up professional dilettantism by getting degree in Dentistry. Now spend time with my nose in people's mouths out in St. Charles County.

My sister went to SLU. My father went to SLU. Dad got me into Billiken basketball as a kid. My earliest memories are of Tommy Thomas, Joe Wiley, Jim Irving and players of that general time period. I guess that takes me through the regimes of:

Buddy Brehmer

Bob Polk

Randy Albrecht

Ron Coleman (ouch!)

Ron Ekker

Rich Grawer

Spoon

'Zo

Brad

Did I miss anybody?

In the 70's especially during my years enrolled at the U., my crowd was actually more religious in our attendance of Billiken Hockey; but we never abandoned basketball. One of my oddest memories of Bills games was sticking around after a game at Kiel (probably attended by a few dozen people!) to stand around on the stage with several players (Jim Glass, the first Johnny Parker), the band (OK that was a half dozen people) as we watched the Spinks-Ali prizefight, won by Spinks. Perhaps my proudest accomplishment as a Bills fan was seeing my wife, a Mizzou grad, convert to a member of the faithful. I can't take the credit--repeated sparkling play by PeeWee at the end of several games won her over.

Roy--it's funny you got out of Economics because it was boring. There were others of us who ended up taking a 2nd major in Economics and even going further because our Economics classes were our most enjoyable. But much of that had to do with the professors involved. Pat Welch maintained a classroom atmosphere which was second to none.