who is everyone

former_d1

Bob Polk had a unique way of breaking a press as I recall. He would put all five players in the backcourt and look for a long break away pass. Irving was the recepient on many of those tosses. I like Irving. He was quick and had a good jumper from 15-20 ft. Thanks for bringing back a memory. Interesting, I met Austin Carr in Cleveland about eight years ago at a Golf outing. Brought up the game and he smiled. Says his most memorable moment of the game was when he was running off the court after the end, SLU students were throwing pennies at him. Also, it was one of the larger crowds at the old arena. I think they topped 10,000. I can't remember any of the players on the Freshman team but remember they played before most Varsity games.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gister,

You raised an interesting point in that the Bills had two hall of fame baseball announcers do their games. I also remember listening to Harry Caray do the Bills game, as did Jack Buck. Skip Caray also had a stint doing the Billiken games before he did the St. Louis Hawks. I still remember fondly listening to Harry do games with the likes of former Billken players like Bob Ferry and Bevo Nordmann.

Lobo,

Funny even though I was a kid back then...I remember the incident of Bennington being hung in effigy over that OSU game back in the days of Jerry Lucas as I recall.

You are correct about John Bennington. He was as I remember a devout Catholic and he was in St. Lukes parish which was blocks away from my old parish, St. James the Greater.

Sludaddy,

We are very happy to have your son on our team, and hope that he enjoys himself at SLU. I think that he is playing for a very good Coach and I am expecting to see good things from Byrce...best of luck to him in his Billiken career.

I agree ... and I am one of the fans that didn't attend SLU. I am really amazed at how many people who contribute to this board do not live in St.Louis.

Please remember if you will to include your seating location in your post if you have season tickets.

Mr. Husak ... glad to have your son on our team. I bet he falls in love with Stl. Hope you continue to post. I'll be in Ames the 18th to see Texas play Iowa state.

26, '99 SLU Grad, BSBA, originally from very small town in southern Tennessee, came to SLU to experience the city life and decided its just a big town that I would like to stay in, CFA, working at investment firm in Clayton, Dad graduated from Parks back in early seventies, love soccer but enjoy all sports to varying degrees, SLU soccer season ticket holder for last three years, been coaching kids soccer for local parish since I graduated and love every minute of it....that's about it.

I agree with your comments about coach. I was following his career long before he was following Bryce's. He is well known in the Iowa Conference of which Cornell College, Mt. Vernon is a member. He is very well respected here. I expect that he will do at SLU what he has done every where he has been. Take a little talent, add great coaching and finish with a team that some might think overachieves but that simply rises to its potential.

GO SLU!

45, A&S (Communications) 1979. Originally coal region Pennsylvania. DO NOT know bonwich, scrivener or broy! Former prez of then-Phi Kappa Kappa, former PA Announcer Billiken Hockey @ Arena, former Hockey beat writer UNews 75-79 (Bill Selman was not that bad of an interview). Major personal/frat battles with Fr. Niel McDermott and Mary Bruemmer senior year. First game at old Kiel with ISU and Larry Bird. Roommate from Louisville ("Lou") got punched by Bobby Miller, UC center from Louisville who was a "traitor" and played for UC coming out of lockerrom at old Kiel thru student section. Worked with SLU Women's Soccer coach Tim Champion at old job in St. Louis. Work for Army as public affairs rep for chemical weapons disposal out of Aberdeen Proving Ground, Md. Usually go to CUSA tourneys; did like five straight years of MCC at both Indy and Dayton. Season tickets at old Kiel with Monroe/Roland. Left SL area in 1988; back to Penna., then DC/Va. and now Baltimore area. Say NCAA tip versus Duncan and Wake at Baltimore Arena. Would love A-10 schedule based on current location. Two daughters who both like SLU but also like staying close to home. Youngest say Johns Hopkins (dad says "broy -- send money!). Does not welch on bets!

38, SLU BSBA 86 and MBA 92. Day job as a CFA managing money for wealthy families, foundations, and endowments. Wife and I also own businesses in metro area. Been a SLU fan since early 80's; season ticket holder since early 90's. Live in Webster now, but spent 10 years living on the West End of Belleville after getting married. Went to DeSmet. Still very active at SLU serving on boards, programs, committees, etc. Most of you will forget more about b-ball than I will ever know, but I love the Billikens.

My favorite memory was from the old arena during the Highmark, Claggett, H era when they had to take down the big "S-L-U" tarps in the upper circle to accommodate the capacity crowds as the team continued to win games.

Section 114, row HH (I think). Always there with wife and daughter and maybe one of my sons. I, too, try to help the refs out whenever I can.

55-one of the oldest farts on this board. stockbroker.2 SLU degrees-wife has 2 SLU degrees. Oldest son kshoe a SLU grad. One semester of tuition left for youngest son shoe. Have had season tickets since 1966 and have missed maybe 3 home games since then. Had a couple of grad classes with Bonwich's father.Liked him. Lived next to Jimmy Irving in the dorm. This is for you Roy, drank a few beers with Ron Ekker. Not a bad guy for someone with low morals.

Infrequent poster, but daily reader. 52, WIU class of '73, B.A. in Geography/English. Because it was the only D1 basketball around, I became a SLU season ticket holder Grawer's second year. This was after buying Daffy Ducats his first. Anybody else remember those?

Raised in Southern Illinois where I became a huge Illini fan because of my father. Find it very difficult to determine a rooting interest when SLU plays UI.

Live in Missouri's Parkland where I have fairly close ties to Mineral Area College. I have excellent access to the coaching staff in case anyone wants info on what's happening in the Missouri Junior College ranks.

33 '88 SLUH and '92 SLU. Phi Kap. Season ticket holder since 93. My wife is a huge Bills fan (by the way for you younger guys, this is an essential criteria when picking your future spouse)

My favorite highlights (other than the obvious big wins) are the few road games I have gone to. Notably the games versus Memphis and UMKC. One year in KC I thought we had 1000 people there. It was great.

It is amazing how many of us have felt moved to contribute to this thread. It's probably one of our longest. I would venture a guess that it is the longest thread in which there was no argument. No one is stating any opinions or bad-mouthing any of our enemies. Just a little family reunion among members who may or may not know each other.

Not only should we meet for a beer; if Steve's projected SLU/GWU game ever takes place in DC, a group road trip would be way cool. Then we could each buy the Sign Guy a beer! Impractical, I know, but one can dream...

54, 2 SLU degrees, AB in history ('71) and JD ('74). Grew up in Cincinnati. Worked for 3 well-known corporate entities as corporate attorney for many years, but now in private practice. Met my wife of 31 years at SLU as she also has SLU degree. Have 3 kids, but none went to SLU as they all wanted curricula that SLU didn't have. Have had B-ball tickets since I was a freshman in '67 and sit with Willie and Kshoe in first row under the basket on south end.

O'Fallon, IL? My 1st cousin is Dorcas Cecil and her husband is Corky. Maybe you hobnob with them. Corky sometimes gets Bill Laurie's box for SLU games when he's out of town or not otherwise using it. I prefer my seats to the box, but they don't have the same amenities...