An interesting thought about our Bigs!

Billikan

We all have to be very encouraged by our young big men and their continued improvement and development. They are not there yet but you can really see the potential and hopefully Cody will be a big part of our future inside.

The interesting thought is that maybe the best things that could have happened to out team was to have Harrelson go to Kentucky and Thompson leave on his own. Those two would have taken away minutes from our current four and in the long run the current guys have much greater potential in my opinion.

I am watching a tape of the Kentucky game and they are up by 47 and the coach subbed for all of the starters and Harrleson did not even get in the game. He is the 11th or 12th guy on the bench.

In business there is an old saying that sometimes that best deals are the ones you don't make. I think in this case with Harrelson and Thompson!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this group would break it easily.

Agreed. The game story on Slubillikens.com said they tied the single game record with 10. Hell, if we could get a damn official scorer to watch the game we'd be getting 10 or more every night. These guys would probably break the record before Valentine's Day with if we actually counted all the blocks.

We all have to be very encouraged by our young big men and their continued improvement and development. They are not there yet but you can really see the potential and hopefully Cody will be a big part of our future inside.

The interesting thought is that maybe the best things that could have happened to out team was to have Harrelson go to Kentucky and Thompson leave on his own. Those two would have taken away minutes from our current four and in the long run the current guys have much greater potential in my opinion.

I am watching a tape of the Kentucky game and they are up by 47 and the coach subbed for all of the starters and Harrleson did not even get in the game. He is the 11th or 12th guy on the bench.

In business there is an old saying that sometimes that best deals are the ones you don't make. I think in this case with Harrelson and Thompson!

Kelvin Henderson holds the single season record with 68. Willie has 28 through 13 games. We have roughly 18 games left. If he continues to get 2 per game, he'll approach that record.

The team record was actually set in 06-07 at 142. So far we have 68 blocks through 13 games. Once again if we have approx 18 left, if we continue to average 5 per game that record is in danger of going down. I gotta believe our blocks per game will go down in A-10 play though.

Ramsey was really singing the praises of Smith. I didn't see the game, but it sounds like Smith was very active. Got a lot of rebounds and blocks in a fairly short time. It seems like coach is having more confidence in him. When I saw Smith early in the year, he looked lost. One of the unfortunate byproducts of the Cody Ellis situation is that neither Remekun or Smith were able to redshirt. It is encouraging that they both seem to have a lot of potential.

1) I'll go ahead and put it out there: Jon Smith's wingspan and some of his movement reminds me of AB as an underclassman.

2) Re: Official scorer/scorer's table. It's going to bite us. It's going to bite us. It's going to bite us. There were at least three, probably closer to five shot clock mistakes last night -- they reset the clock when Kwamain went for the steal but didn't get control before going out of bounds; and, at least twice, I caught the shot clock and/or game clock running after the whistle blew. (Or perhaps we're just purposely playing it fast and loose because we know we play Xavier toward the end of the year. :blink: )

I was also pleased to see that the chairman of the Theatre Department had worked with the team on their improvisational skills for the pre-game warmups.

PS: Majerus commented on the post-game that both Smith and JJ are expected to have decent contingents in the house at Bowling Green because of being from Columbus and Fort Wayne, respectively.

1) I'll go ahead and put it out there: Jon Smith's wingspan and some of his movement reminds me of AB as an underclassman.

2) Re: Official scorer/scorer's table. It's going to bite us. It's going to bite us. It's going to bite us. There were at least three, probably closer to five shot clock mistakes last night -- they reset the clock when Kwamain went for the steal but didn't get control before going out of bounds; and, at least twice, I caught the shot clock and/or game clock running after the whistle blew. (Or perhaps we're just purposely playing it fast and loose because we know we play Xavier toward the end of the year. :blink: )

I was also pleased to see that the chairman of the Theatre Department had worked with the team on their improvisational skills for the pre-game warmups.

PS: Majerus commented on the post-game that both Smith and JJ are expected to have decent contingents in the house at Bowling Green because of being from Columbus and Fort Wayne, respectively.

I said the same thing about JS in another thread. You are right about the shot clock, I mentioned the same thing to who I was with at the game on KM's attempted steal. Did you also notice in the first half that the # of fouls listed for EIU was the total committed by both teams. Additionally after they finally fixed it they did it again on the next foul but realized it right away. I am very concerned that they will screw the score up at some point and we will lose the game by one but really have won it by one. I figure that is correctable but why confuse everybody.

The team came out for warmups and none of the balls were available, so the team ran layup drills without a ball. Willie had a sweet "through-the-legs-dunk."

why they had taken the balls off the court was a question in the first place. this was before the game and after the players had already been out shooting once and had went down for the pre-game w bout 6 minutes before tipoff. why would the managers take the balls off the court?

The team came out for warmups and none of the balls were available, so the team ran layup drills without a ball. Willie had a sweet "through-the-legs-dunk."

Probably another blunder of Comcast Spectacor, the company which runs Chafeitz Arena.

Did any of you see the boxing matches held at Chafeitz a few months ago when they forgot to have spit buckets and stools ringside for the fighters!??! Both fighters were standing between rounds! Even worse, one of the fighters didn't receive a pre-fight wakeup call and he arrived an hour late for his fight.

So I guess on the brightside, we didnt have basketballs for warm-ups but the players had seats during the game.

Ramsey was really singing the praises of Smith. I didn't see the game, but it sounds like Smith was very active. Got a lot of rebounds and blocks in a fairly short time. It seems like coach is having more confidence in him. When I saw Smith early in the year, he looked lost. One of the unfortunate byproducts of the Cody Ellis situation is that neither Remekun or Smith were able to redshirt. It is encouraging that they both seem to have a lot of potential.

Smith suffers from being a slight build but the weight room could take of that-you can't teach speed

and he and Willie have the fastest put backs and great shot blocking eye hand coordination; I was really happy to see Femi John get that first steal of the game-that should be a big part of his game;but, I wish he would recognize the defender has beat him to the spot when he is driving in-every game he gets at least one charging penalty-how long are the coaches going to let him do that?

he either needs to be thinking about a pass, beat his defender to the opening, or pull up for a jumper

and from that distance he has looked good. Smith, though had his best game so far- I hope he keeps improving,

Smith suffers from being a slight build but the weight room could take of that-you can't teach speed

and he and Willie have the fastest put backs and great shot blocking eye hand coordination; I was really happy to see Femi John get that first steal of the game-that should be a big part of his game;but, I wish he would recognize the defender has beat him to the spot when he is driving in-every game he gets at least one charging penalty-how long are the coaches going to let him do that?

he either needs to be thinking about a pass, beat his defender to the opening, or pull up for a jumper

and from that distance he has looked good. Smith, though had his best game so far- I hope he keeps improving,

I guess I could add Smith to my off season work out group that currently consists of WR, Joe Davola, and "The Situation".

Thats the Situation.

From my angle it looked like a terrible call. No way did I feel the defender was set.

JS and CR have certainly improved so far this year and at this point are good players on the defensive end. Neither, however, has shown the ability to create his own shot or make a shot from more than 5 feet out on offense. If either want to continue to increase their minutes over the next couple years they will need to become true offensive threats not just defensive studs.

My hope is that Cody will provide a significant lift offensively to this team, including a big man that can score more than 10 feet from the basket. None of our current bigs can do that and that is why he may be able to have an immediate impact on this team.

If Majerus doesn't plan on using 3 bigs in the game very often I would not be surprised if either JS or CR redshirted next year in order to allow them to get stronger and move a year further away in class from Willie.

From my angle it looked like a terrible call. No way did I feel the defender was set.

Femi has had some issue with charges but I agree 100% that the call last night was absolutely terrible. I had a perfect angle with a fellow who sits close to me and we both saw the defender move sideways just as Femi came across the court. No way was he sat at all.

JS and CR have certainly improved so far this year and at this point are good players on the defensive end. Neither, however, has shown the ability to create his own shot or make a shot from more than 5 feet out on offense. If either want to continue to increase their minutes over the next couple years they will need to become true offensive threats not just defensive studs.

My hope is that Cody will provide a significant lift offensively to this team, including a big man that can score more than 10 feet from the basket. None of our current bigs can do that and that is why he may be able to have an immediate impact on this team.

If Majerus doesn't plan on using 3 bigs in the game very often I would not be surprised if either JS or CR redshirted next year in order to allow them to get stronger and move a year further away in class from Willie.

It's probably wishful thinking, but it would great if we could land Loe and then redshirt both of them. Remekun could get that the redshirt year he was supposed to get this year and Smith could use it to work on becoming a 3.

Femi has had some issue with charges but I agree 100% that the call last night was absolutely terrible. I had a perfect angle with a fellow who sits close to me and we both saw the defender move sideways just as Femi came across the court. No way was he sat at all.

happened right in front of me. femi lowered his shoulder and initiated the contact hard. absolutely no acting on the eastern player imo. i would have called the charge.

that said, i love femi's fire going to the basket. hard line to draw when asking him to restrain or not. i'd hate to see him give up his agression. if he could give a little of that attitude to kyle it would work out for both. ;)

hopefully they both will learn accordingly.

happened right in front of me. femi lowered his shoulder and initiated the contact hard. absolutely no acting on the eastern player imo. i would have called the charge.

that said, i love femi's fire going to the basket. hard line to draw when asking him to restrain or not. i'd hate to see him give up his agression. if he could give a little of that attitude to kyle it would work out for both. ;)

hopefully they both will learn accordingly.

or not lead with his shoulder.

Probably another blunder of Comcast Spectacor, the company which runs Chafeitz Arena.

Did any of you see the boxing matches held at Chafeitz a few months ago when they forgot to have spit buckets and stools ringside for the fighters!??! Both fighters were standing between rounds! Even worse, one of the fighters didn't receive a pre-fight wakeup call and he arrived an hour late for his fight.

So I guess on the brightside, we didnt have basketballs for warm-ups but the players had seats during the game.

If they're going to forget things, you'd think they'd start with the ring card girls' clothes.

It's probably wishful thinking, but it would great if we could land Loe and then redshirt both of them. Remekun could get that the redshirt year he was supposed to get this year and Smith could use it to work on becoming a 3.

A red shirted player still counts against your 13 - so there is little reason to red shirt either one of the them next year.

A red shirted player still counts against your 13 - so there is little reason to red shirt either one of the them next year.

I am aware of that. I stated IF Loe were to sign (that would require somebody not being back). The reasons to do it? You would have four bigs (Reed, Conklin, Ellis and Loe). RM is not going to have more than a 9-man rotation, so you allow those Remekun and Smith the opportunity to get better and space out the classes a little bit. There is a lot of "ifs" in this scenario, but it makes a lot of sense. RM has stated he is a fan of redshirting players.

If they aren't going to play a lot because Willie, Cody, Conklin, etc. are playing ahead of them, it could make some sense to balance out the classes a little more, allow them to physically develop etc. Majerus is not going 13 deep in games any time soon.

When you see Loe play, you may want him to redshirt.