OT: Any Greek Restaurants in/near Mid-town?

TheA_Bomb

I plan to hit the game on DEC 22 and my other family members also from out of town want to get some Greek food. Any suggestions?

There is a new gyro place in Soulard. It is on 12th and Russell. Not really a sit down joint but they have about 15 seats. I had the supreme gyro this week and it was great. Not much other than gyros on the menu.

Olympia House. Just S of 40 on McCausland

I would not recommend Olympia, it is very average. There is a place down the street from there on Machester called Michael's Bar & Grill which features some Greek dishes which is pretty good and definitely better than Olympia. Aya Sofia in south city features some Greek selections as well and is really good, but more expensive than the other options.

I would not recommend Olympia, it is very average. There is a place down the street from there on Machester called Michael's Bar & Grill which features some Greek dishes which is pretty good and definitely better than Olympia. Aya Sofia in south city features some Greek selections as well and is really good, but more expensive than the other options.

I personally love the Olympia House and would reccomend it. Never been to Michael's and agree Aya Sofia is good.

I plan to hit the game on DEC 22 and my other family members also from out of town want to get some Greek food. Any suggestions?

If you can find Olympia, then it's easy to find Michael's (which I prefer) - go south on McCausland to Manchester a turn right (west) - about a block on the right. If you're in the Clayton area, try Momo's Ouzeria - one block north of the intersection of Delmar and North and South Road - sort of a tapas menu - you can order several small dishes to share. They also have belly dancers later in the evening.

Depends what you mean by "Greek food." Gyros/saganaki/pastitsio/moussaka -- Olympia is a casual Taverna and basically all-Greek. Michael's doubles as a midscale burger joint in addition to its Greek stuff (and used to have the best Greek rice pudding in town). Michael's has an expensive brother called Mihalis Chophouse which, ironically, is a few doors down from Olympia. Sort of a steakhouse with a Greek accent.

The "nice" (i.e. white tablecloth) Greek restaurant closest to SLU is Spiro's on Watson, at Arsenal, I believe. Apollonia on Gravois is a hole in the wall with very good food. (I'm not sure if they have Prince on the jukebox or not.)

Momos is "mezze," Greek tapas, and has broader variety than the pastitsio/moussaka/dolmades places. The Majestic is wonderful, but it's a diner that happens to have gyros, a few lamb dishes and a Greek salad. Aya Sofia is actually Turkish, although many of the dishes are very close to their Greek counterparts.

Anthonino's on the Hill is split between Greek and Italian and slightly (but not much) more upscale than Olympia or Michael's. The place in Soulard is called Soulard Gyro and Deli; I'm not sure, but I think it's actually Bosnian. (Any number of the Bosnian places have food that's similar to Greek.)

That's all I can think of. One of the best cooks from Olympia opened a place on Ivanhoe a few years ago that was really good, but it closed quite a while back.

Depends what you mean by "Greek food." Gyros/saganaki/pastitsio/moussaka -- Olympia is a casual Taverna and basically all-Greek. Michael's doubles as a midscale burger joint in addition to its Greek stuff (and used to have the best Greek rice pudding in town). Michael's has an expensive brother called Mihalis Chophouse which, ironically, is a few doors down from Olympia. Sort of a steakhouse with a Greek accent.

The "nice" (i.e. white tablecloth) Greek restaurant closest to SLU is Spiro's on Hampton, at Arsenal, I believe. Apollonia on Gravois is a hole in the wall with very good food. (I'm not sure if they have Prince on the jukebox or not.)

Momos is "mezze," Greek tapas, and has broader variety than the pastitsio/moussaka/dolmades places. The Majestic is wonderful, but it's a diner that happens to have gyros, a few lamb dishes and a Greek salad. Aya Sofia is actually Turkish, although many of the dishes are very close to their Greek counterparts.

Anthonino's on the Hill is split between Greek and Italian and slightly (but not much) more upscale than Olympia or Michael's. The place in Soulard is called Soulard Gyro and Deli; I'm not sure, but I think it's actually Bosnian. (Any number of the Bosnian places have food that's similar to Greek.)

That's all I can think of. One of the best cooks from Olympia opened a place on Ivanhoe a few years ago that was really good, but it closed quite a while back.

I like Apollonia also. We get lunch from there every few months. You have to ask for the Tzatziki on the side on their gyros though, otherwise they overload it.

The reason I like Olympia House so much is it reminds me of Greece. It may not be a ringing endorsement, but for me it takes me back. The interior decor, the slow indifferent service and the loud atmosphere. Very good gyros, great fries, good baklava, and a Pilsner Urquell. I'm good.

I recommend Olympia as a first choice. The food is decent, but the atmosphere is great and it is fairly close to Chaifetz, as it is right at McCausland and 40. I would not recommend Ari's on Hampton; not very good in my opinion. Michael's is OK and would be a good 2nd choice to Olympia as it is right down McCausland.

I like Apollonia also. We get lunch from there every few months. You have to ask for the Tzatziki on the side on their gyros though, otherwise they overload it.

The reason I like Olympia House so much is it reminds me of Greece. It may not be a ringing endorsement, but for me it takes me back. The interior decor, the slow indifferent service and the loud atmosphere. Very good gyros, great fries, good baklava, and a Pilsner Urquell. I'm good.

I walked into Apollonia one time but didn't eat there. There were a lot of crumbs on the floor under a table with ants crawling all around. I didn't stay.

Spiro's is nice but a little pricey.

If you're looking for a fun atmosphere and reasonable prices hit Olympia. I agree with Nark, I've never had a bad meal there.

I walked into Apollonia one time but didn't eat there. There were a lot of crumbs on the floor under a table with ants crawling all around. I didn't stay.

Spiro's is nice but a little pricey.

If you're looking for a fun atmosphere and reasonable prices hit Olympia. I agree with Nark, I've never had a bad meal there.

Spiro's is pricey but it is pretty damn good.

Some really good restaruants right where Spiro's is at. Larusso's and Brazie's are right there and Biggie's is right down the street.

Spiro's is pricey but it is pretty damn good.

Some really good restaruants right where Spiro's is at. Larusso's and Brazie's are right there and Biggie's is right down the street.

As a Greek, I feel eminently qualified to offer an opinion here. Would not recommend Michael's, but feel Olympia House has food closest to what I ate growing up. Much prefer the rice pudding there to anywhere else in town. Spiro's is ok, but OH is superior, IMHO.

Never ate a gyro til last 5-7 years, it is an Anglicized way to eat Greek food.

For Greek in mid town, has to be OH.

mhg