Keneseaw State Game Thread plus Postgame Analysis

Agreed, did not go away from this game thinking that we played a bad team. They were long, athletic, and could shoot it from the outside. 30 and 2 were pretty good players.

I also agree, KSU ought to do well in their conference. I also think they will do well in their conference, they had a couple three point shooters who had great range. Sure at times they played like freshman and sophomores against the press, but having this game was great preparation for the rest of the season. KSU was strong, long and nothing like the team we saw a few years ago.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Cassity had 18. High score for our side. :P:D

where are the critics now who wanted KC benched? the kid can shoot, understands the game and makes the offense run. he is the steady hand on the court. when they took him out with about 5 min to go, we lost the ball on 2 consecutive possessions. Also, a tip of the hat to the Aussie. His defense has improved 100% and i love his no fear when it comes to shooting the rock. overall, a good win by the bills.

KSU had a couple nice players but talentwise we are light years ahead of them. Many mistakes by the Bills made this a closer game than it should have been.

Apparently we have no idea how to break a press. We were lost the entire game. Cassity especially would stop all momentum while bring the ball up the court, sometimes he wouldn't even break for the ball. He was responsible for the 2 times we had 5 sec inbounds calls against us. I'm still not sold on him. I don't think he gives full effort on the court, he takes off plays on defense, and makes poor decisions with the ball.

#30 was a nice player, we couldn't guard him until Coach put Femi on him.

We need to feed the post more. Reed and Conklin were open for multiple looks. Reed should 10 touches a game on the blocks, today he had 3. He started hanging around the perimeter and shot two jumpers, one that fell, because he wasn't getting it in the post.

That press just killed me. It didn't seem like Majerus was making any changes or punishing kids for screwing it up. Most of the time we had no clue how to break it. 1 timeout should have taken care of that. Instead our kids were befuddled the whole game. Sadly Willie Reed and Conklin, our two big men, moved the ball the best out of the backcourt. Hard for me to fathom.

Still some positives. Reed has really improved his rebounding and was a monster on defense in the paint. CS, KC, and JJ all shot extremely well from 3 and for the most part were willing to pull the trigger on open jumpers. Once we were in the halfcourt our ball movement was very good.

Agreed, did not go away from this game thinking that we played a bad team. They were long, athletic, and could shoot it from the outside. 30 and 2 were pretty good players.

I agree..This was the best team we've played this year. They were very athletic and could really hit from the outside. I like that we played a team this early on that put full court pressure on us most of the game. This helped expose some of our weaknesses against it early on in the year and is hopefully something that will be addressed in practice. I have a feeling the next time this happens we will be better prepared. We are young and we'll take our lumps along the way. I still thought this was a very exciting game to watch and I love our shooters. We can really drain some 3s...I'd like to see more of KM penetrating and dishing out to one of our young guns for a 3. Lot of talent and it is only going to get better.

KSU had a couple nice players but talentwise we are light years ahead of them. Many mistakes by the Bills made this a closer game than it should have been.

Apparently we have no idea how to break a press. We were lost the entire game. Cassity especially would stop all momentum while bring the ball up the court, sometimes he wouldn't even break for the ball. He was responsible for the 2 times we had 5 sec inbounds calls against us. I'm still not sold on him. I don't think he gives full effort on the court, he takes off plays on defense, and makes poor decisions with the ball.

#30 was a nice player, we couldn't guard him until Coach put Femi on him.

We need to feed the post more. Reed and Conklin were open for multiple looks. Reed should 10 touches a game on the blocks, today he had 3. He started hanging around the perimeter and shot two jumpers, one that fell, because he wasn't getting it in the post.

That press just killed me. It didn't seem like Majerus was making any changes or punishing kids for screwing it up. Most of the time we had no clue how to break it. 1 timeout should have taken care of that. Instead our kids were befuddled the whole game. Sadly Willie Reed and Conklin, our two big men, moved the ball the best out of the backcourt. Hard for me to fathom.

Still some positives. Reed has really improved his rebounding and was a monster on defense in the paint. CS, KC, and JJ all shot extremely well from 3 and for the most part were willing to pull the trigger on open jumpers. Once we were in the halfcourt our ball movement was very good.

I have no problem with KC's effort, what game were you watching?

The first 10 minutes of the first half were the best I think we've played all year... and then we started to play like a team of freshmen and sophomores. Actually we came out firing the first 5 minutes really hard of both halves but lost the intensity level. Couldn't get the lead past 14. Cassity set the tone early though with his nice lay in.

The guards shots were falling today. I'd like to know what we shot from 3 though (For some reason the box scores currently won't work). That's probably why the posts didn't get more touches today. However that being said, the focus should be to get the posts the ball early and often. You can shoot yourself out of (or into) a game with 3's but you can never feed the post enough.

Honestly though, does Salecich have a range? Damn that guy can shoot...

Also of note: Iowa State (opponent next Friday) beat Mississippi Valley State (Tuesday) 96-51.

The first 10 minutes of the first half were the best I think we've played all year... and then we started to play like a team of freshmen and sophomores. Actually we came out firing the first 5 minutes really hard of both halves but lost the intensity level. Couldn't get the lead past 14. Cassity set the tone early though with his nice lay in.

After the 2 preseason games had been played, I came to one conclusion that is definitely true right now, and may even be true all season. Here it is: with this team and their youth (talented youth though), we will see flashes of sheer brilliance, but you will also see flashes of sheer garbage from this team. Just like the first sentence in the quoted post above says, the first 10 minutes were great, then we started to play like a team of freshmen and sophomores. The key, obviously, is to limit or ideally eliminate the flashes of garbage.

Too many turnovers (16) today, plus we should've done better at the free throw line, where we shot 61.5% (3 of 7 in the 2nd half). I'll take 50% from beyond the arc on 10-20 shooting any day.

I thought that Cassity's shooting form was too good for him to have been shooting the low percentages he has been in his career. I had a feeling that eventually he was going to get 1 or 2 treys, and then it would just snowball into anywhere in the 3 to 6 range. He went 4-5 today from beyond the arc.

I have no problem with KC's effort, what game were you watching?

KC threw away multiple balls. KC was beaten on defense badly in the first half several times. KC did not move to get open on inbounds plays. KC was solely responsible for not getting the ball out of bounds twice which was called and solely responsible for a 10 second call as well where he just held the ball. He was absolutely clueless against the press, Willie Reed had more know how than he did.

That is the game I watched. He made some 3s and led the team in points but he was sorely lacking in other areas. People have jumped on his bandwagon lately but I still believe he is being outperformed by other players on the team and he does not deserve the playing time he has been getting.

Not trying to belittle him, but the recent KC lovefest needs to stop. He makes a lot of mistakes. Majerus loves him but lets not get carried away because he made 4 3s.

KC threw away multiple balls. KC was beaten on defense badly in the first half several times. KC did not move to get open on inbounds plays. KC was solely responsible for not getting the ball out of bounds twice which was called and solely responsible for a 10 second call as well where he just held the ball. He was absolutely clueless against the press, Willie Reed had more know how than he did.

That is the game I watched. He made some 3s and led the team in points but he was sorely lacking in other areas. People have jumped on his bandwagon lately but I still believe he is being outperformed by other players on the team and he does not deserve the playing time he has been getting.

Not trying to belittle him, but the recent KC lovefest needs to stop. He makes a lot of mistakes. Majerus loves him but lets not get carried away because he made 4 3s.

KC is by no means the most talented player on the team and despite the glowing praise here recently he does make mistakes sometimes. However, every player on the team makes mistakes because they are so young. KC is certainly worthy of a starting spot with our current group of players.

Torch, where have you been? I would hardly say this board is having a lovefest for KC.

Torch, this is a bunch of BS, the other 4 players on the court have to move in order to have some one to throw it to. This does not all fall on Cassity. RM will fix this. :angry:B):):D:lol:

Torch, this is a bunch of BS, the other 4 players on the court have to move in order to have some one to throw it to. This does not all fall on Cassity. RM will fix this. :angry:B):):D:lol:

What did I miss? A few posts onto pg 3 of this thread and no reference to KM! Didn't he play?

If he did play, why all the blame on KC? Isn't KM our leader? Shouldn't he, as the PG, be able to break the press or be just as responsible as KC for 5-second violations?

What did I miss? A few posts onto pg 3 of this thread and no reference to KM! Didn't he play?

If he did play, why all the blame on KC? Isn't KM our leader? Shouldn't he, as the PG, be able to break the press or be just as responsible as KC for 5-second violations?

Seemed like the quick KSU guards gave KM fits. I thought when a team like KSU tried to press us like that KM would be able to use his quickness to just blow past people and create some easy layups. This happened on a couple of plays and they were key when KSU was threatening in the 2nd half, but I would have liked to see more of it. It was noted that last game against pressure from Nebraska that KM rarely brought it up the floor perhaps to allow him to save energy. Maybe this game was more of the same in terms of trying to save KM's energy, but I would like to see KM take charge when we are struggling as happened in this game.

7 of 9 from the field, 4 of 5 from 3, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, and 3 to's ( two of the turnovers came on 5 counts, because no one was open, that is hardly throwing multiple balls away) the only one clueless here is you. I hope you don't have any children, because I am sure they could never please you. Did KC make some mistakes, sure, but over all he played a great game today.

Kwa played but about 7 minutes into the game he was fouled hard and came to the bench holding his elbow. He seemed in pain. The MD talked with him then they went into the locker room. He was in there for about ten minutes them came out seem no worse for wear, did not shoot much, had six assists and 2 turnovers.

As for the press it was a zone press initally with two KSU players in the back court then they pushed it to three trapping before half court if they could. Later in the game they had a fourth player pressuring the ball on the in bounds play. A single player could not break it reliably.

KM also had a turnover, but what I like about this team is they let their mistakes roll off their backs. They do not let the last play hurt the next play.

KM also had a turnover, but what I like about this team is they let their mistakes roll off their backs. They do not let the last play hurt the next play.

I'm impressed by this as well. Seems like in every game so far they've had a very rough stretch were they can't score, they give up several easy buckets, or both. However, in every game when the other team has cut the lead down or even taken the lead, these kids have not panicked and usually have re-established a solid lead pretty quickly. Hopefully this composure remains as the competition gets stronger.

Also, thanks for the KM injury info, I showed up late to the game (sorry) and did not realize that had gone down.

KC got himself into trouble more than once by picking up his dribble and holding the ball in the backcourt. He had a good game overall though. He's certainly playing with more confidence (taking open 3s without hesitation, taking the ball to the basket).

KM was fouled hard midway through the first half and spent a few minutes in the locker room/tunnel getting his non shooting arm checked out. He returned to action and played like his usual self.

CS has no conscience when it comes to 3 pointers. As long as he continues to hit them, this will work to our advantage.

Aside from a few bad turnovers here and there, the guards all played very well. Even FJ did well with the minutes he was given.

It's encouraging to see the offense flow without relying on KM to be the scorer.

Cassity played a great game. We had about 1,000 turnovers and Kyle certainly did not have a monopoly in that regard. He sees the floor very well, he is starting to shoot well and he is even beginning to defend better. Without him, today's game would have been much closer. He has the maturity to be a leader on this team. I am very thankful he is a Billiken.

i thing it's awesome that we have the number of 3 pt threats this year. JJ, KM, CS and KC can all hit it. With better than average post players we will be a handfull to defend.

KC had a good game. He made some mistakes but overall played well. This board complains when he has a great floor games but goes 2-7, but when he has a decent game and scores 18 all you hear about are the mistakes. i don't get it. I guess i was watching a different game than the hammer.