Prediction for Nebraska

SLU_Nick

It really doesn't matter who we've beaten in the past. This team is completely unlike any team that has played at SLU perhaps in school history; I adamantly believe that past records are simply that, records: they have no bearing on what this team will or won't do this season.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Correction. I missed the 2001 win over Washington and only reported the 2001 losses to Iowa State and Cal. Also, I did not go back to 2000 which would have shown wins over Washington and Cal and the loss to Mizzou.

Still, we've got to back quite awhile. Again. not trying to say we NEVER beat or can beat a BCS team. And yes, we have a HOF coach, new facilities and a program going in the right direction. It's just that there is/has been a pattern of us playing 1 or 2 each year and the results have not been good. If SLU wants respect, we need to beat teams like Nebraska and Iowa State EACH YEAR and not just at home. If we cannot bet the "name" BCS schools to play us, then we'd better have more success with the "lesser" name BCS schools.

Of course all of that is true. If we want to move this program up we'd better beat the middle of the road BCS teams, we'd better beat the mid-majors on the road and we'd better find a way to win more than 8 or 9 A-10 games every year.

But, as it relates to this Nebraska game only, we have shown an fairly consistent ability to beat middle of the road BCS teams at home, which is all we are trying to say.

Of course all of that is true. If we want to move this program up we'd better beat the middle of the road BCS teams, we'd better beat the mid-majors on the road and we'd better find a way to win more than 8 or 9 A-10 games every year.

But, as it relates to this Nebraska game only, we have shown an fairly consistent ability to beat middle of the road BCS teams at home, which is all we are trying to say.

Agreed.

Guys. I am not saying SLU has not won any good or big games ever. Beating teams in conference like Memphis, Marquette , Louisville, DePaul and Cincy is not the topic.

Sure, we beat the other good teams as well and had close games/good performances as well.

Here's some recent stats about what I am talking about -- "lesser" name BCS schools.

2008 - Loss to Nebraska (71-57)

2008 - Loss to DePaul (65-61)

2006 - Loss to Texas A & M (69-33)

2005 - Loss to Mississippi (77-64)

2004 - Loss to Iowa (67-58)

2003 - Loss to W. VA (66-57)

2002 - Loss to Kansas State (75-45)

2001 - Loss to Iowa State (77-72)

2001 - Loss to California (88-63)

Yes, we beat BC last year. One year we did beat Ole Miss. We did beat Georgia Tech a few years back as well but GT can be considered more of a "name" school. As per the above, though, each year we seem to play one of these schools and we don't have much success. Yes, Nebraska is not the odd-on-favorite for the Big 12 but they will still be tough.

I don't think anyone is claiming that Nebraska won't be tough. We're a young team, and even SEMO wasn't easy. I'm just saying we've done fairly well against teams like them over the years.

Guys. I am not saying SLU has not won any good or big games ever. Beating teams in conference like Memphis, Marquette , Louisville, DePaul and Cincy is not the topic.

Sure, we beat the other good teams as well and had close games/good performances as well.

Here's some recent stats about what I am talking about -- "lesser" name BCS schools.

2008 - Loss to Nebraska (71-57)

2008 - Loss to DePaul (65-61)

2006 - Loss to Texas A & M (69-33)

2005 - Loss to Mississippi (77-64)

2004 - Loss to Iowa (67-58)

2003 - Loss to W. VA (66-57)

2002 - Loss to Kansas State (75-45)

2001 - Loss to Iowa State (77-72)

2001 - Loss to California (88-63)

Yes, we beat BC last year. One year we did beat Ole Miss. We did beat Georgia Tech a few years back as well but GT can be considered more of a "name" school. As per the above, though, each year we seem to play one of these schools and we don't have much success. Yes, Nebraska is not the odd-on-favorite for the Big 12 but they will still be tough.

clock, you left out the back to back losses to mi$$ouri in 2000 and 2001 by a total of 6 points. probably the toughest losses of the lesser bcs schools that we should have won. amazingly after those two losses pretty quinn and the mi$$ouri brass have since decided we are too tough to play. probably a good decision on their part though.

clock, you left out the back to back losses to mi$$ouri in 2000 and 2001 by a total of 6 points. probably the toughest losses of the lesser bcs schools that we should have won. amazingly after those two losses pretty quinn and the mi$$ouri brass have since decided we are too tough to play. probably a good decision on their part though.

You're right!! Sorry about that. I meant to only include the "better" BCS schools like Kansas, Arizona, UCLA and UNC and we certainly know that ole Mizzou, despite the arguments of their misguided fans, may consider themselves to be among such company but, in fact, are clearly not in that category. If/when they conquer their fear of playing some/all of the local schools, then the eventual losses to SLU, Missouri State and SIUC would only prove what the rest of us already know.

You're right!! Sorry about that. I meant to only include the "better" BCS schools like Kansas, Arizona, UCLA and UNC and we certainly know that ole Mizzou, despite the arguments of their misguided fans, may consider themselves to be among such company but, in fact, are clearly not in that category. If/when they conquer their fear of playing some/all of the local schools, then the eventual losses to SLU, Missouri State and SIUC would only prove what the rest of us already know.

exactly

Thanks for bringing up even more negatives roy. You're a ray of sunshine lately! :lol:

it also frustrates me that espn is hyping arkansas / louisville at the kiel but i can't find slu on the internet...

that is strange. I swore I saw it on their schedule yesterday, but now I cannot find it anywhere. hmmm....

The Huskers have it listed on their site, as of today, so that's a good sign. I also found it listed in ESPN's MediaZone (for media professionals), so another good sign. Also just found out that you can listen to a FREE live radio stream, but it will be through Nebraska, so you will have to listen to their commentators.

And don't forget that locally, it will be on FSBillikens, I mean FSN Midwest.

I have absolutely no clue. It wouldn't surprise me if we won or lost by double-digits or if the game came down to the last shot.

I suspect this will be the case for over half our games this year.

-i feel the same way

-this (and all of them) would be a good one to get

Hope the Bills win.

But analyzing it, you have to go with the Big 12 athletes. Nebraska is young, too, but has two 6'10' types.

I like RM but can anyone tell me a game when he clearly stole a game with his x's and o's?

RE BC, I was at BC game and they had just beat a strong opponent a few days before and took the Bills lightly. Their star guard (cannot remember his name) shot something like 3-16. Bills did not show a lot of "O" against SEMO, does not bode well for an opponent like this...

Nebraska 66, Bills 57.

Hope the Bills win.

But analyzing it, you have to go with the Big 12 athletes. Nebraska is young, too, but has two 6'10' types.

I like RM but can anyone tell me a game when he clearly stole a game with his x's and o's?

RE BC, I was at BC game and they had just beat a strong opponent a few days before and took the Bills lightly. Their star guard (cannot remember his name) shot something like 3-16. Bills did not show a lot of "O" against SEMO, does not bode well for an opponent like this...

Nebraska 66, Bills 57.

They had just beat St Johns. not exactly a strong opponent.