Prediction for Nebraska

SLU_Nick

It seems like there is a lot of talk like "We have a bright future, blah blah blah" and "Hope springs Eternal". That kind of talk is for the Off-season...We need to enjoy the present because the actual season seems to only last a short time.

So the last 4 mins of the game last night I could not help but look forward to Nebraska on Wednesday. I saw that Nebraska beat USC Upstate by 30 or so and I am curious to see what The Wiz has to say about the line. I know the fact was discussed before that the young guns would not have to yield to KL and TL and IMO the overall team ability does not seem to have dropped off much from last year. Everyone seems to be buying in to RMs system 100% and I think that is huge for the confidence and ability of the team.

Not much to discuss about our big 3. WR, KM, and BC deserve to be on the floor as much as they can.

I think I am in the majority when I say that KC has to be on the floor to be the glue guy for us against Nebraska. Roy mentioned that KC is always there to save someone from a trap or being the best executor off the offense (sans shooting) and he needs to be out there.

CR has really stepped up on the defensive end IMO. He is extremely active on the block and uses his quickness to make up for his lack of strength. He is needed to spell our bigs and I think he will be serviceable on defense to help the flow of the game.

CS, his defense has been like swiss cheese. He will play out of necessity but he really needs to stay in front of his man because when he gets beat, everyone else has to adjust and things break down. If he cant stay with SEMO/Ambrose guards, than Big 12 guards are going to kill him. I also do not understand why he plays the point. He is a shooting guard. KC, KM, JJ all are better point guards. Hope to see him hit some big shots against Nebraska.

JJ, not scared at all, we signed him late and it was very uneventful on this board. It is amazing the difference between signing someone with RM and UB. With RM we get an Indiana PG who averages 28 points a game for a championship team and no one really mentions anything special except for Nate, but when we sign Horace Dixon, this board buzzes with comparisons of NBA athleticism. Sorry back on topic...JJ really helps us with our shooting and spelling of KM.

JR, Please have him 4 healthy years. He is going to be very good. He has great understanding of the game, much like KC, but more talent. Medical Redshirt please.

FJ, I am not sure if he is tentative or what but I havent seen him do anything consequential the past two games.

These players are all winners. Almost all of them are state champs or some type of equivalent. I do not think anyone has told this team that they were not supposed to go .500. Lets just play ball on Wednesday, get a win, get some momentum and then have CE come help us during Conference play....Lets just do it.

(Ya like that post Billikan?)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like there is a lot of talk like "We have a bright future, blah blah blah" and "Hope springs Eternal". That kind of talk is for the Off-season...We need to enjoy the present because the actual season seems to only last a short time.

So the last 4 mins of the game last night I could not help but look forward to Nebraska on Wednesday. I saw that Nebraska beat USC Upstate by 30 or so and I am curious to see what The Wiz has to say about the line. I know the fact was discussed before that the young guns would not have to yield to KL and TL and IMO the overall team ability does not seem to have dropped off much from last year. Everyone seems to be buying in to RMs system 100% and I think that is huge for the confidence and ability of the team.

Not much to discuss about our big 3. WR, KM, and BC deserve to be on the floor as much as they can.

I think I am in the majority when I say that KC has to be on the floor to be the glue guy for us against Nebraska. Roy mentioned that KC is always there to save someone from a trap or being the best executor off the offense (sans shooting) and he needs to be out there.

CR has really stepped up on the defensive end IMO. He is extremely active on the block and uses his quickness to make up for his lack of strength. He is needed to spell our bigs and I think he will be serviceable on defense to help the flow of the game.

CS, his defense has been like swiss cheese. He will play out of necessity but he really needs to stay in front of his man because when he gets beat, everyone else has to adjust and things break down. If he cant stay with SEMO/Ambrose guards, than Big 12 guards are going to kill him. I also do not understand why he plays the point. He is a shooting guard. KC, KM, JJ all are better point guards. Hope to see him hit some big shots against Nebraska.

JJ, not scared at all, we signed him late and it was very uneventful on this board. It is amazing the difference between signing someone with RM and UB. With RM we get an Indiana PG who averages 28 points a game for a championship team and no one really mentions anything special except for Nate, but when we sign Horace Dixon, this board buzzes with comparisons of NBA athleticism. Sorry back on topic...JJ really helps us with our shooting and spelling of KM.

JR, Please have him 4 healthy years. He is going to be very good. He has great understanding of the game, much like KC, but more talent. Medical Redshirt please.

FJ, I am not sure if he is tentative or what but I havent seen him do anything consequential the past two games.

These players are all winners. Almost all of them are state champs or some type of equivalent. I do not think anyone has told this team that they were not supposed to go .500. Lets just play ball on Wednesday, get a win, get some momentum and then have CE come help us during Conference play....Lets just do it.

(Ya like that post Billikan?)

Yes sir!

But Nebraska will be very tough and we will have to play a much cleaner and smarter game to stay with them. Our dumb turnovers and bad free throw shooting will need to be eliminated. Go Bills!!!!!!!!

Yes sir!

But Nebraska will be very tough and we will have to play a much cleaner and smarter game to stay with them. Our dumb turnovers and bad free throw shooting will need to be eliminated. Go Bills!!!!!!!!

Billikan is right, we need to cut down on the mistakes. We also need to get Willie the ball in the post more, he has been very successful in the post.

I think Nebraska will give us a lot of the same looks that we saw against SEMO, however, I will say that I believe we will need more than 59 points to take the W against the Cornhuskers. If KC can give us a solid outing (7-10 points) and we can shoot over 70% from the line, I think we'll be in good shape. We also need more than 7 points off the bench. This game is definitely winnable, but things are going to have to go well for us.

Yes sir!

who was sitting at the end of the bench with a warm up on that did not get in the game? why doesn't number 12 have his name on the back of his jersey by the start of the third game?

the player sitting on the end of the bench you were looking at was probably Darrin Young. Hes a freshmen walk on from Kirkwood High. I don't believe hes been cleared by the NCAA to play. I also had the same question about Justin Joradn (No. 12)'s Jersey. Apparently he signed late and with the new jerseys they couldn't get his name on it in time.

the player sitting on the end of the bench you were looking at was probably Darrin Young. Hes a freshmen walk on from Kirkwood High. I don't believe hes been cleared by the NCAA to play. I also had the same question about Justin Joradn (No. 12)'s Jersey. Apparently he signed late and with the new jerseys they couldn't get his name on it in time.

Maybe not having a name on the back of his jersey gives Justin an advantage in these early games. Other teams may look at him with no name on his jersey and think that he is basically a walk-on and not give him any respect. Obviously any advantage would fade later in the game/season as teams realize he has talent.

I think Nebraska will give us a lot of the same looks that we saw against SEMO, however, I will say that I believe we will need more than 59 points to take the W against the Cornhuskers. If KC can give us a solid outing (7-10 points) and we can shoot over 70% from the line, I think we'll be in good shape. We also need more than 7 points off the bench. This game is definitely winnable, but things are going to have to go well for us.

Nebraska has eight new players coming in this year and is picked 11th in the Big 12. In addition, Doc Sadler is a defensive minded coach. It shouldn't take much over 60 to win especially at home.

KC was in position to take lots of shots and passed them off. What concerns me more is CS did not get open or get passes from his teamates.

I would bet that when we do get CE cleared that CS and he both come on strongly.

If CE starts playing in second semester can we hold him out first semester next year as well so we have him for four years of conference play?

If CE starts playing in second semester can we hold him out first semester next year as well so we have him for four years of conference play?

No. It doesn't work that way. Seasons aren't broken down into semesters or half years. If he plays at all this year, his freshman season will conclude in March. He would then be a sophomore next year even if he were to sit out the first semester for some odd reason and have only two years left.

But he would get four years of conference play, anyway. It's just that he can get only three years of non-conference play.

KC was in position to take lots of shots and passed them off. What concerns me more is CS did not get open or get passes from his teamates.

I would bet that when we do get CE cleared that CS and he both come on strongly.

If he's already 19, if he can make $100,000 right now play pro ball, if he'd rather wait/sign pro in Austrailia v. start school at SLU and risk being held liable for his 1 semester of his college education until cleared, something tells me that trying to play an extra semester is not likely or high on his priority list.

What's up with the FT shooting. That is sure to lose games if we don't get it corrected. What's the FT % in these 3 games around 50%? That must improve drastically to around 70%. Close games will come down to FT's and we'll need to win close games to have any shot at having a respectable record this year. One can understand WR's poor FT, most bigs are notorious bad at FT's, but not the others.

What's up with the FT shooting. That is sure to lose games if we don't get it corrected. What's the FT % in these 3 games around 50%? That must improve drastically to around 70%. Close games will come down to FT's and we'll need to win close games to have any shot at having a respectable record this year. One can understand WR's poor FT, most bigs are notorious bad at FT's, but not the others.

The really odd thing is that half our shots are complete bricks. Willie really bricked a bunch and then hit two that looked beautiful. CS looks very good at the line and we need KM, JJ, and KC to be much better. Conklin looked fantastic on his first few and then looked a bit tired on the ones late. We do need to solve this problem. I think we may see some "Hack a Willie" strategy. The SEMO coach used 3 different guys to guard him and I think they collectively had 14 fouls. If Willie can hit his throws he will average at least 15 points a game this year.

If he's already 19, if he can make $100,000 right now play pro ball, if he'd rather wait/sign pro in Austrailia v. start school at SLU and risk being held liable for his 1 semester of his college education until cleared, something tells me that trying to play an extra semester is not likely or high on his priority list.

We don't know how good he can be, but I think it's safe to say that a decent U.S college career might push him into a higher caliber league than Australia. I'm not saying that he's NBA material, but from what I've picked up over the years players in several European countries make quite a bit more than $100K.

Hope you are right. Historically, we have just not played well against teams like Nebraska, Iowa, Iowa State and other "lesser" name BCS schools.

I remember a win against Iowa in the NIT and going back a bit, a beat down we put on Iowa State at the Arena, a win against Ole Miss a few years ago and we beat Mizzou at the Dome a while back. B)

I remember a win against Iowa in the NIT and going back a bit, a beat down we put on Iowa State at the Arena, a win against Ole Miss a few years ago and we beat Mizzou at the Dome a while back. B)

You left out the wins over Kansas & Illinois. Not to mention pretty good play against teams like Memphis, Marquette, Louisville, DePaul, Cincy. That said, we have come up short against the likes of UNC, UCLA, Purdue, GA Tech, Arizona, and few others.

Overall, we've done okay for a team in our position.

You left out the wins over Kansas & Illinois. Not to mention pretty good play against teams like Memphis, Marquette, Louisville, DePaul, Cincy. That said, we have come up short against the likes of UNC, UCLA, Purdue, GA Tech, Arizona, and few others.

We came up a 1/2 an inch short against AZ when Reggie Bryant's foot just grazed the arc. Ooooh that hurt.

We were talking about "lesser" BCS schools, that's why those two were left off the list.

Guys. I am not saying SLU has not won any good or big games ever. Beating teams in conference like Memphis, Marquette , Louisville, DePaul and Cincy is not the topic.

Sure, we beat the other good teams as well and had close games/good performances as well.

Here's some recent stats about what I am talking about -- "lesser" name BCS schools.

2008 - Loss to Nebraska (71-57)

2008 - Loss to DePaul (65-61)

2006 - Loss to Texas A & M (69-33)

2005 - Loss to Mississippi (77-64)

2004 - Loss to Iowa (67-58)

2003 - Loss to W. VA (66-57)

2002 - Loss to Kansas State (75-45)

2001 - Loss to Iowa State (77-72)

2001 - Loss to California (88-63)

Yes, we beat BC last year. One year we did beat Ole Miss. We did beat Georgia Tech a few years back as well but GT can be considered more of a "name" school. As per the above, though, each year we seem to play one of these schools and we don't have much success. Yes, Nebraska is not the odd-on-favorite for the Big 12 but they will still be tough.

Guys. I am not saying SLU has not won any good or big games ever. Beating teams in conference like Memphis, Marquette , Louisville, DePaul and Cincy is not the topic.

Sure, we beat the other good teams as well and had close games/good performances as well.

Here's some recent stats about what I am talking about -- "lesser" name BCS schools.

Yes, we beat BC last year. One year we did beat Ole Miss. We did beat Georgia Tech a few years back as well but GT can be considered more of a "name" school. As per the above, though, each year we seem to play one of these schools and we don't have much success. Yes, Nebraska is not the odd-on-favorite for the Big 12 but they will still be tough.

I'm just going off recent memories but we've also won a bunch.

We swept Washington in a 2 game series in the early 2000s when Romar was the coach here. We beat West virginia the year before they beat us. We beat K-State the year after they beat us. I dare say our record at home against mid level BCS teams is actually quite good.

I go back to the Spoon days and these are the wins I remember against BCS schools during that time - USC, Arizona State, Washington, Cal, Kansas State, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa State, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Alabama, Georgia Tech, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, LSU, Georgia Tech, West Virginia and Boston College. Some of these are going back a ways, but beating BCS teams has not been that uncommon. This list was just off the top of my head and there may be a few others. Also on this list, I didn't differentiate between lesser and better BCS schools. I don't think anybody is expecting Nebraska to be a pushover for the 2009-10 Bills. I don't really expect many teams to be easy for this year's young squad.

To further my point, here are the BCS teams we've played at home this decade and the results.

2008 - Win vs. BC

2006 - Loss vs. UNC

2006 - Win vs. Mississippi

2005 - Loss vs. Iowa

2003 - Win vs. K-State

2003 - Loss vs. Arizona

2002 - Win vs. West Virginia

2001 - Loss vs. Mizzou

2001- Win vs. Washington

2000 - Win vs. California

Throw out the elite teams like UNC and Arizona and that starts to look pretty good.

Correction. I missed the 2001 win over Washington and only reported the 2001 losses to Iowa State and Cal. Also, I did not go back to 2000 which would have shown wins over Washington and Cal and the loss to Mizzou.

Still, we've got to back quite awhile. Again. not trying to say we NEVER beat or can beat a BCS team. And yes, we have a HOF coach, new facilities and a program going in the right direction. It's just that there is/has been a pattern of us playing 1 or 2 each year and the results have not been good. If SLU wants respect, we need to beat teams like Nebraska and Iowa State EACH YEAR and not just at home. If we cannot bet the "name" BCS schools to play us, then we'd better have more success with the "lesser" name BCS schools.