Report on the meet and greet last night-(10/28)

bauman

Ready to leave for work and thought I'd check in to see what everyone else thought about last night's event. I couldn't believe that there was nothing posted. Maybe my wife and I were the Billiken.com family members there. Here goes.

Positives:

great to finaly see the players-they are no longer members of the witness protection program;

as usual, the Band was great-mid season form-Mike even got the crowd involved;

the Saintsations (or as the big man referred to them the SLU-etts it almost sounded like he said sluts) were also very good, given the season hasn't even started yet-thanks to the young ladies and the Band for being there;

WR has gained about 20-25 lbs and BC has reduced his body fat down to 7 from 9. they have all worked hard in the weight room;

the chemistry between the players seemed very good-seems like CS is very popular with his new teammates;

Rammer did a great job as the MC and eating up some time after the player intros when it was obvious that RM was late to the event.

Not so positives:

I walked out with a real sense of disppointment over what I felt was a wasted evening. Looking back over my excitement when we hired RM, I must admit I have done a 180 since that hire. Acouple of guys were walking out just in front of us and I gotta say that one of them seemed to hit the nail on the head, to use an old guy's term. He described RM as a buffoon who probably knows a ton about the sport he coaches, but is one strange character. The buffoon tag seemed a little harsh until I looked it up this morning and it does seem to fit. Even his players were laughing at some of his comments and they were not because RM was so funny, but rather at how strange some of his comments were.

Specifics---the first question was as expected--What can you tell us about the C Ellis situation? It could have been answered thoroughly in about a minute, BUT about 7-8 minutes later, we really knew nothing about the situation and its possible resolution. Instead RM managed to fit a long rambling discourse with lots of Andre Miller talk into the reply. Before the evening was over, RM had managed to bring up Miller's name 3 times, K Van Horn, Phil Jackson, Larry Bird, J. Sloan, K Malone, J Stockton, Kobe, Jordan any other Utah or NBA players names. I just wanted to scream---WE ARE HERE TO TALK ABOUT BILLIKEN BASKETBALL, NOT THE NBA!!!!!!!!!!!!! This truly is a sick individual who cannot talk for even one minute about basketball w/o reverting in time to HIS glory days. I would estimate that he rambled for over an hour when he could have answered the questions asked in 10 minutes. The evening came to a quick halt when a fan asked BC to talk about what a RM practice was like-instead of letting Brian answer, RM quickly interjected himself and made the reply.

At the beginning of the event Rammer said that they had giveaways at least for the students and that they had a video to show. None of that happened since that couldn't get RM to shut up. A staff member even got Bob to move over close to RM to try to get him off stage and move along to the other planned activities, but with no luck.

The main positive I took home with me was the knowledge that I had wasted my last night going to an event where RM was going to talk. If this sounds too negative for some of you, I'm sorry but the night, overall, was a bust in spite of what seemed to be some excellent plans on the part of the Ath. Dept staff.

One final complaint- the sound system was horrible as was RM's ability to speak into the mike so as to be heard. For some reason the speakers kept cutting out, but especially when the big man was rambling. I could only hear him at all times since I was in the second row right in front of the podium.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Mr. Bauman;

That is a pretty funny post -- thanks. I am struck by your very strong statement about RM being a sick individual; I will not go so far as that! I cannot tell exactly if that is meant to be a joke or if there is a more sinister interpretation you mean to say. But I WILL agree, and say that I mostly dislike these kinds of events anymore.

funny stuff about the "Andre Miller talk" stats! yes, I've noticed . . . . over and over ....

tonight (Thursday) there is a faculty meet and greet, these tend to be smaller and more intimate; which I plan to attend unless life intervenes between now and 5:30. If anything newsworthy is stated I can report to the board but I think by now we are learning the drill. But I can relate a little to your plaintive cry: not sure how many more of these events I feel like attending. is it just me and you??

I had this old buddy from southern Kentucky; great guy but if you asked a question, any question, he would launch into an interminable reply. "Is it raining?" "Are you going out tonight?" anything. finally I just stopped asking questions.

I am also not interested in hearing Majerus speak. There are a few funny lines but his rambling drives me crazy. He is definitely unique. But one hell of a recruiter and coach. That is what I want from him.

i want it all.

the Saintsations (or as the big man referred to them the SLU-etts it almost sounded like he said sluts) were also very good

snort. hate to say it but maybe majerus wouldn't ramble so much if he spoke in public more than half a dozen times a year. oh well, as long as he's not so weird that porter & co. can't keep the players from mutiny, i guess whatever...

bauman, so would you say that willie is getting close to a KG-lite type build? 20-25 lbs in one summer is very encouraging, even if he's on the lattimer diet.

pros: increased strength. a place at the table.

cons: date rape. broken car windows. face painting. crying after games.

i think the positives are still awfully heavy on this one...

tonight (Thursday) there is a faculty meet and greet, these tend to be smaller and more intimate;

You should have gone last night if you wanted intimate. Less than 150 total (not counting players, staff, band cheerleaders).

snort. hate to say it but maybe majerus wouldn't ramble so much if he spoke in public more than half a dozen times a year. oh well, as long as he's not so weird that porter & co. can't keep the players from mutiny, i guess whatever...

bauman, so would you say that willie is getting close to a KG-lite type build? 20-25 lbs in one summer is very encouraging, even if he's on the lattimer diet.

pros: increased strength. a place at the table.

cons: date rape. broken car windows. face painting. crying after games.

i think the positives are still awfully heavy on this one...

I'd bet 80% of this board won't get your pros and cons. Anything for the program though.

I think they did show the video. You must have left before it started. In fact, what I found funny (and kind of sad) was that tons of students were walking toward the Chaifetz as I was leaving. Presumably they were on their way to see the video but had no interest in the meet the players part of the night. Even with the on campus arena, student support is pitiful and I will never understand it. It is not as though there are all kinds of crazy parties that the students prefer being at. And SLU is not Harvard. Anyone who wants to go to the arena for 2 hours will not fail some ridiculously hard test as a result.

Ready to leave for work and thought I'd check in to see what everyone else thought about last night's event. I couldn't believe that there was nothing posted. Maybe my wife and I were the Billiken.com family members there. Here goes.

Positives:

great to finaly see the players-they are no longer members of the witness protection program;

the Saintsations (or as the big man referred to them the SLU-etts it almost sounded like he said sluts) were also very good, given the season hasn't even started yet-thanks to the young ladies and the Band for being there;

WR has gained about 20-25 lbs and BC has reduced his body fat down to 7 from 9. they have all worked hard in the weight room;

the chemistry between the players seemed very good-seems like CS is very popular with his new teammates;

Rammer did a great job as the MC and eating up some time after the player intros when it was obvious that RM was late to the event.

Not so positives:

I walked out with a real sense of disppointment over what I felt was a wasted evening. Looking back over my excitement when we hired RM, I must admit I have done a 180 since that hire. Acouple of guys were walking out just in front of us and I gotta say that one of them seemed to hit the nail on the head, to use an old guy's term. He described RM as a buffoon who probably knows a ton about the sport he coaches, but is one strange character. The buffoon tag seemed a little harsh until I looked it up this morning and it does seem to fit. Even his players were laughing at some of his comments and they were not because RM was so funny, but rather at how strange some of his comments were.

Specifics---the first question was as expected--What can you tell us about the C Ellis situation? It could have been answered thoroughly in about a minute, BUT about 7-8 minutes later, we really knew nothing about the situation and its possible resolution. Instead RM managed to fit a long rambling discourse with lots of Andre Miller talk into the reply. Before the evening was over, RM had managed to bring up Miller's name 3 times, K Van Horn, Phil Jackson, Larry Bird, J. Sloan, K Malone, J Stockton, Kobe, Jordan any other Utah or NBA players names. I just wanted to scream---WE ARE HERE TO TALK ABOUT BILLIKEN BASKETBALL, NOT THE NBA!!!!!!!!!!!!! This truly is a sick individual who cannot talk for even one minute about basketball w/o reverting in time to HIS glory days. I would estimate that he rambled for over an hour when he could have answered the questions asked in 10 minutes. The evening came to a quick halt when a fan asked BC to talk about what a RM practice was like-instead of letting Brian answer, RM quickly interjected himself and made the reply.

At the beginning of the event Rammer said that they had giveaways at least for the students and that they had a video to show. None of that happened since that couldn't get RM to shut up. A staff member even got Bob to move over close to RM to try to get him off stage and move along to the other planned activities, but with no luck.

The main positive I took home with me was the knowledge that I had wasted my last night going to an event where RM was going to talk. If this sounds too negative for some of you, I'm sorry but the night, overall, was a bust in spite of what seemed to be some excellent plans on the part of the Ath. Dept staff.

One final complaint- the sound system was horrible as was RM's ability to speak into the mike so as to be heard. For some reason the speakers kept cutting out, but especially when the big man was rambling. I could only hear him at all times since I was in the second row right in front of the podium.

based on what I saw and heard on campus this week-- there was little or no attempt to advertise to the campus population, and hardly any buzz about the event last night. I could be wrong about that--but there it is.

Can't we do a better job of enticing students to show up? Last year, at least they had free brats!!!

I will be in Michigan Friday, so will miss the game; my guess is that 5000 or less will show up -- hope I'm wrong. Who are we playing again?? (ironic smile ...)

I just feel like I'm at campus where hardly anyone seems to care -- or even know about-- the basketball team.

Positives:

Not so positives:

Bauman,I was there last night and can understand where you are coming from, but I just don't agree. I find RM hillarious. I can listen to him ramble on for hours. I can't wait to hear what comes out of his mouth. Who knows what in the hell the players really think but I thought they were enjoying his show. Who knows untill they start playing but I felt like RM quietly feels these guys can be pretty good. RM is kind of like your brother in-law who is always saying weird things, but you enjoy being around.

based on what I saw and heard on campus this week-- there was little or no attempt to advertise to the campus population, and hardly any buzz about the event last night. I could be wrong about that--but there it is.

Can't we do a better job of enticing students to show up?

I will be in Michigan Friday, so will miss the game; my guess is that 5000 or less will show up -- hope I'm wrong. At least last year they had free brats!

I just feel like I'm at campus where hardly anyone seems to care -- or even know about-- the basketball team.

It is definitely being worked on. There are many different ways the people who care are trying to get people out to the games. These include teaming with the R.A.s of the freshman dorms and having them all bring their floor to the game friday and try to hook them with the first game. Working with the freshman welcoming org. Oriflamme (sp?). I also really believe that this freshman class marks the end of the apathetic upperclassmen.

It is definitely being worked on. There are many different ways the people who care are trying to get people out to the games. These include teaming with the R.A.s of the freshman dorms and having them all bring their floor to the game friday and try to hook them with the first game. Working with the freshman welcoming org. Oriflamme (sp?). I also really believe that this freshman class marks the end of the apathetic upperclassmen.

it is a shame slu never took bluecrewprez up on her offer a few years back to create a staff position of a permanent student liason to slu sports. one person to beat the drum constantly would make a difference. and it was no coincidence that her blue crew might have been the most active of any in recent history.

it is a shame slu never took bluecrewprez up on her offer a few years back to create a staff position of a permanent student liason to slu sports. one person to beat the drum constantly would make a difference. and it was no coincidence that her blue crew might have been the most active of any in recent history.

Agreed. I don't know who to blame more, the department or students. Both act as if the other doesn't exist. Free tickets for the games at Savvis were nice, but then dropped the ball with the transportation. Other than that, its maybe 1 event a year and when that doesn't draw 10000000s, they don't do anything else. Simple email reminders would help. The blue crew last year was a joke, and has been since she graduated. Shame. Getting the freshman involved through orriflamme is no new thing. Theyve done that since at least 2002.

It has nothing to do with having a student liason. It has to do with the perception of what Blue Crew/Student Section. I think that most students who I call the apathetic who either don't go to games or come to games and sit in empty seats in the upper part of the arena believe that "blue crew" is an exclusive "club" when in reality its just the name of the student section. They think you have to buy student season tickets to sit down there. Roy this is the year you will see that change I will guarantee that the student turn out will be better than the year BCP was president.

I am also not interested in hearing Majerus speak. There are a few funny lines but his rambling drives me crazy. He is definitely unique. But one hell of a recruiter and coach. That is what I want from him.

I feel the same. I used to look forward to going to the Tipoff Club meetings, but now I avoid them because he might be speaking. If I could be sure he wasn't going to be there, I'd show up. The first time I heard him, I thought he was really funny and I enjoyed his pressentation. But all of his talks since then, that I have attended, seem to contain the same stories or at least the same names. It is all about the past glory days at Utah. The mention of a current player allways reminds him of so-and-so from back when who is now in or retired from the NBA. Then there is the rambling, it goes on and on and on. I can't stand it.

Hmmm, I wonder why I have less enthusiasm for this season than I have ever had. I'm trying to keep the spirit, but it's tough.

It has nothing to do with having a student liason. It has to do with the perception of what Blue Crew/Student Section. I think that most students who I call the apathetic who either don't go to games or come to games and sit in empty seats in the upper part of the arena believe that "blue crew" is an exclusive "club" when in reality its just the name of the student section. They think you have to buy student season tickets to sit down there. Roy this is the year you will see that change I will guarantee that the student turn out will be better than the year BCP was president.

awesome for your view of the upcoming student turnout.

as to your thought about having a student liason i cant disagree more. she had the desire and the momentum at that time to be a difference maker imo. it sure couldnt have hurt to have someone being the go between and be that drum beater.

awesome for your view of the upcoming student turnout.

as to your thought about having a student liason i cant disagree more. she had the desire and the momentum at that time to be a difference maker imo. it sure couldnt have hurt to have someone being the go between and be that drum beater.

The reason the student section turned to shite is that the board of Blue Crew turned into an old boys club. You have to be on the board one year to run for president. This has kept it in the same group of people for the last 3 years. These three presidents have either been lazy, overbooked, or nobody really liked them(won by default when the guy who was elected quit for personal reasons). None of them did anything to try to expand student support for any of the teams.

The athletic department currently does have an employee who works directly with the students although that is not her only job. She does a fantastic job working with the student section.

I found this comment to be interesting. I wasn't at the event itself, as I had another commitment out in the county at 7 pm, but I came down to SLU to help the Band move our equipment over to Chaifetz and pick up my Band credential and parking pass. I left at about 6:30, and I saw Majerus walking around the place well before the event started, probably around 6:00 or earlier. Maybe he was in his office or stepped out for a while, but he was definitely around the court around 6:00.

I found this comment to be interesting. I wasn't at the event itself, as I had another commitment out in the county at 7 pm, but I came down to SLU to help the Band move our equipment over to Chaifetz and pick up my Band credential and parking pass. I left at about 6:30, and I saw Majerus walking around the place well before the event started, probably around 6:00 or earlier. Maybe he was in his office or stepped out for a while, but he was definitely around the court around 6:00.

Someone told me there was a reception beforehand for the fat cats who gave 10k or more.

The student apathy has always been incredibly frustrating to me. That's the problem with having no football and otherwise lousy sports programs - SLU doesn't really attract kids who are all that into sports the way state schools or private schools like Notre Dame do.

After the event I asked Coach about Cody.

Me: "Coach, let's say that Cody got here next week. Would he be able to start classes-"

Coach (interrupting): "He's not getting here next week. We hope he'll be here by December 17th."

Me: "So he can't start playing until the second semester starts?"

Coach: "That's right."

Second time I've met him, he was very friendly again. I'm not mad that he interrupted my question though. He thanked me for asking him that and thanked me for being a great fan, since most of the fans don't follow recruiting or follow the saga with Cody.

About the students:

- They will show up when SLU starts winning. Yes they have had winning seasons, but really against who? It takes time to turn the perception around about the basketball program. I always hear students not wanting to go because the team is terrible and they don't want to pay money. I think in a lot of students minds they don't give the program a chance because they are not in the "big conferences". If I was a poor broke college student i'm not sure I would want to spend my money on SLU playing some of the non-conference opponents.

However, I do think this will change once SLU starts winning some more games. Remember when the Savis or whatever it was called was sold out on a regular basis.

As long as Willie doesn't show up for games looking like this, we should be awight.

Posted Image

Is it illegal to facepaint before games? I could see that as a big psychological advantage for our guys. Willie as Death®, Kwamain as The Predator®.

Oh yeah, SLU basketball tomorrow, against Puerto Rico A & T CC or something... I'm going to feel weird drinking and yelling at GameTracker on a Friday evening, but it's what I gotta do... IT'S FINALLY HERE.