new billiken statue and BADGES!

Folks;

the good news is that a brand new, 7-foot tall bronze Billiken -- holding a baby billiken in his hand -- has been installed in the old location, just across from Old Pine gym.

It features an obnoxious sign saying "Please Do Not Touch" -- which means of course I immediately touched it. I urge all students and faculty to touch it, even rub its shiny belly, every time by it. I would not have touched it, by the way, but the sign force me to do so. It's all those classes teaching Thoreau, Emerson, Bob Dylan and Jack Kerouac, I suppose.

Bad news: announced this morning is a new policy forcing all faculty and staff to wear ID badges 24/7, while on campus! Big Brother is at it again! see story at:

www.slu.edu/x31361.xml

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised it took them this long to implement the program. What about students on campus do they not have to wear a badge? The reasons for the policy are undermined if students don't wear them as well. The $25 replacement fee is steep. That would prevent workers from replacing their lost badges quickly and thus undermine the program as well. Isn't $5 enough to cover the costs of printing another badge and the materials? The article is laughable stating wearing badges creates a sense of community. I guess a community is a place where people can only recognize they are linked by wearing wearing markers to that effect. This is most likely the continuing aftermath of the campus shootings. There is a do something bias and organizations feel like if something isn't done then they will be blamed if something happens again.

Doc I support your rubbing of the Billiken. That is the purpose of the Billiken rubbing it for luck.

Every major employer I am aware of requires their employees to wear badges. It is just part of today's employment world. It really isn't a big deal. My wife works for Wash U and has to wear a badge. My last two employers also charged a $25 replacement fee if you lost your badge (which I had to pay just last week). It is really much adieu about nothing.

Thanks, David, what a clarifying, teachable moment. Maybe you could present your case to the SLU Faculty Senate, I'm sure it will alleviate any and all complaints ....

This policy is a joke, and will be terrifically challenged. employers may do it but is there a campus anywhere in America that forces faculty to wear ID cards everyday? Are you telling me Wash U does it (not is hospitals or medical school, by the way -- on an open undergraduate campus)?? Is your wife faculty? I'm very confused....

Thanks, David, what a clarifying, teachable moment. Maybe you could present your case to the SLU Faculty Senate, I'm sure it will alleviate any and all complaints ....

This policy is a joke, and will be terrifically challenged. employers may do it but is there a campus anywhere in America that forces faculty to wear ID cards everyday? Are you telling me Wash U does it (not is hospitals or medical school, by the way -- on an open undergraduate campus)?? Is your wife faculty? I'm very confused....

Once again the cold cruel world prys open the sacred doors of the ivory tower and spreads the sour stain of reality........

Can't you guys just wrap the cards around your pipes or sew them into the patches of your tweed blazers? :P

I'm sure the SLU faculty will ignore the new policy just like the people in my office do.

Once again the cold cruel world prys open the sacred doors of the ivory tower and spreads the sour stain of reality........

Reality? What's that? We don't have that in academia...

Rich I would normally agree with your throwing dirt on the Ivory tower but this ID requirement is dumb. The reason to wear IDs would be to limit access to the campus and within the campus. If students don't wear IDs then how would that work. Furthermore, the doors to the classroom buildings and other facilities aren't access control only the dorms and library are last I checked. So anyone could walk up ID or not and enter Xavier Hall. The school gets so many visitors that don't wear IDs. I assume these IDs are for security purposes but it is just a superficial response to a situation at universities that most likely can't be fixed. Believe that I've got all As and one B in Biosecurity and Disaster Preparedness (from SLU).

Box check PMs

Rich I would normally agree with your throwing dirt on the Ivory tower but this ID requirement is dumb. The reason to wear IDs would be to limit access to the campus and within the campus. If students don't wear IDs then how would that work. Furthermore, the doors to the classroom buildings and other facilities aren't access control only the dorms and library are last I checked. So anyone could walk up ID or not and enter Xavier Hall. The school gets so many visitors that don't wear IDs. I assume these IDs are for security purposes but it is just a superficial response to a situation at universities that most likely can't be fixed. Believe that I've got all As and one B in Biosecurity and Disaster Preparedness (from SLU).

Box check PMs

Sure hope they include home addresses on them so as to prevent another Professor Gates episode. :P

Folks;

the good news is that a brand new, 7-foot tall bronze Billiken -- holding a baby billiken in his hand -- has been installed in the old location, just across from Old Pine gym.

It features an obnoxious sign saying "Please Do Not Touch" -- which means of course I immediately touched it. I urge all students and faculty to touch it, even rub its shiny belly, every time by it. I would not have touched it, by the way, but the sign force me to do so. It's all those classes teaching Thoreau, Emerson, Bob Dylan and Jack Kerouac, I suppose.

Bad news: announced this morning is a new policy forcing all faculty and staff to wear ID badges 24/7, while on campus! Big Brother is at it again! see story at:

www.slu.edu/x31361.xml

Doc

Slight point of clarification "Old Pine gym" is usually, by most old timers, called "West Pine gym". I believe it was in the early 80's that the street West Pine actually ran through the entire campus and the gym was located on West Pine.

I know I am showing my age.

I belive the President would call this an "educational moment."

Box check PMs

I agree that badging professors without controlling access with them is pretty much worthless. It's pretty much worthless for me to have a badge from my company which is required to get acess into a building I never need to get into. I'm just tickled by the thought of the always pompous Doc B being forced to join in the folly.

Maybe we should all have a "faculty senate" to complain to. I'd love to have an insurance senate to talk to.

Doc

Slight point of clarification "Old Pine gym" is usually, by most old timers, called "West Pine gym". I believe it was in the early 80's that the street West Pine actually ran through the entire campus and the gym was located on West Pine.

I know I am showing my age.

I belive the President would call this an "educational moment."

Not the early 80's. West Pine was closed and the clock tower/mall installed in the early 90's. Believe most of the construction took place in 1992 and that if opened prior to the '92-'93 school year.

Not the early 80's. West Pine was closed and the clock tower/mall installed in the early 90's. Believe most of the construction took place in 1992 and that if opened prior to the '92-'93 school year.

Yeah, when I was a freshman (93-94), Spring had just been closed and the clocktower was under construction. They were doing a lot of construction on the mall over by Xavier Hall, if my memory serves me.

I think the eastern portion of West Pine (east of Spring) was closed in the 80s. Ever see the movie "American Flyers?" Part of it was shot on the SLU campus in 1985, and the portion where the quad is didn't look any different than it does now.

She works part-time as an advisor and professor at Wash U. She has an ID badge that she has to use to access certain buildings and areas of buildings. I believe they are technically supposed to display it, but I think the rule is largely ignored.

Again, I don't understand the uproar. Faculty, professors, instructors, etc. are employees or contractors of the university. If the university wants its employees and contractors to where ID badges, so be it.

Yeah, when I was a freshman (93-94), Spring had just been closed and the clocktower was under construction. They were doing a lot of construction on the mall over by Xavier Hall, if my memory serves me.

I think the eastern portion of West Pine (east of Spring) was closed in the 80s. Ever see the movie "American Flyers?" Part of it was shot on the SLU campus in 1985, and the portion where the quad is didn't look any different than it does now.

Great movie! Was talking about that at work a few days ago when the Tour de France was all the rage. Had a bunch of good St. Louis scenes including a bike ride through Laclede's landing, the New Cathedral and of course the SLU campus (although they called it Wisconsin in the movie).

Billiken Rich loves calling me pompous -- now I am the always pompous blah blah. no clue how my post appears pompous to you, Rich old buddy, please explain.

As for comparing a college campus with your insurance office , well -- I'll leave that one to clearer heads on here than me. More to the point -- I challenge you or anyone to name a campus where professors are forced to wear badges all day every day. (not med schools)

Did it ever occur to you or the others saying this is "reality" (whatever the hell that might mean) -- that forcing ID badges on everyone sends a very poor message to our visitors? Not to mention, as A Bomb points out, it is not enforcable and it's totally counterproductive?

Honestly this is one of the most idiotic new proposals in my 12 years at SLU -- and the bar is pretty high for that competition.

was that too pompous?? gee, I'm sorry-- are you going to transfer to another board?

DoctorB, Just wearthe badge with a smile on your face and set a good example for others. Of course you don't have to wear one if you don't want to, but you might have to seek employement some where else as a result.

At least that has been my experience with emploment related requirements.

Good Luck on which ever approach you decide to choose. :P

...holding a baby billiken in his hand...

The Virgin Birth of the Baby Billiken...?

Or did two Billikens...well, you know?

How could the Universitas miss this story? Either way, the miraculous conception of the Baby Billiken or two Billikens gettin' freaky, it's a big story!

The Virgin Birth of the Baby Billiken...?

Or did two Billikens...well, you know?

How could the Universitas miss this story? Either way, the miraculous conception of the Baby Billiken or two Billikens gettin' freaky, it's a big story!

Another born out-of-wedlock? Where's the dead-beat dad? What has happened to the American family!!