Thompson

I just heard that Brett Thompson is heading to play for Sodie at Lindenwood. What a difference a year makes....

Sorry if this is old news.

And somebody said UB couldn't recruit.

Seriously, this makes no sense for Brett unless he has just given up on his future in basketball.

Seriously, this makes no sense for Brett unless he has just given up on his future in basketball.

Well, his brother appears to be proud to have quit basketball in high school when faced with a tough coach.... :lol:

In all seriousness, most kids don't make the NBA and don't play professionally so if BT wants to stay local, be the big man on campus and play against 6'6" guys like he did in high school, then, BT, I truly hope enjoy and thank you for your time at SLU.

Not that BT is requesting, possibly Trey is, but just don't ask me to count this as a negative with respect to RM.

Unless they have solid D1 aspirations and Brad never had much of a staff it could be a leg into college level coaching. It is much harder to break into coaching at that level and BT could provide some of his own experience to recruit southern Illinois in 4-5 years. Look at the dues Claggett and some of our other really good kids have paid Sloan is the only one to get any kind of shot and that was not really a coaching but admin job

Although RM has hinted he would hire the young Diener woman in the past.

I think just the opposite skip, if he had his head on straight he would stay at SLU for the education. I have no idea what Lindenwood will get him. After 4 years, did Sodie agree to hire him on as an assistant? He is not going there for an education and in 4 years his degree will not be anything to boast about. I just do not get it...

It is head-scratching at the least.

-Nick

you guys are pathetic. You know nothing of mine or my brothers position so I really think you can go to hell clocktower

Trey. On the contrary, I do know something of your brother's position -- your position I don't know or care about -- because you and others have posted quite a bit and I have read and comprehended the same. If you want to post more, I would be happy to read more and keep an open mind.

If you didn't realize, we are trying to build a legitimate D1 program. We need committed D1 athletes who aspire to the NCAA Tournament and not playing NAIA ball. Can you brother play at such level, possibly, but so can some of the guys playing ball on the City courts and at the local Y. If this is not what your brother is interested in, then I am glad he had the courage to make the decision now and move on, enjoy his remaining college years and have fun. What's the problem?

If you are looking for me to say, RM yells too much, he personally attacks his players too much, that he picked on your brother too much, or that he just drove away the next Wilt Chamberlein, then I'm sorry, you don't understand this Board. I am a Billiken fan and not a BT fan or a fan of one particular player over the team.

I really dont care about what is said about my brother on here as long as it isnt mean spirited. He didnt want to play at SLU anymore. He wasnt happy so he moved on. Hes playing somewhere were if he wants to go back to D1 he can...whats wrong with that. On the other hand its a dick move of you to take a stab at me. Your post makes no sense. I think RM is a very good coach. I dont agree with some of the things he does but that doesnt make him a bad coach. Hes set in his ways on how he coachs and he wont change. All Im saying is A There are some kids you cant pound negatively all the time or you drive them away and B if youre going to treat some players like ###### maybe you should treat everyone the same. Some of the kids get free passes on that team

I really dont care about what is said about my brother on here as long as it isnt mean spirited. He didnt want to play at SLU anymore. He wasnt happy so he moved on. Hes playing somewhere were if he wants to go back to D1 he can...whats wrong with that. On the other hand its a dick move of you to take a stab at me. Your post makes no sense. I think RM is a very good coach. I dont agree with some of the things he does but that doesnt make him a bad coach. Hes set in his ways on how he coachs and he wont change. All Im saying is A There are some kids you cant pound negatively all the time or you drive them away and B if youre going to treat some players like ###### maybe you should treat everyone the same. Some of the kids get free passes on that team

I hope you and Brett do know that if he aspires to return to the D-1 level from Lindenwood he'll still have to sit a year at his new institution since Lindenwood is a 4 year institution. If not, then best of luck to him at Lindenwood.

I hope you and Brett do know that if he aspires to return to the D-1 level from Lindenwood he'll still have to sit a year at his new institution since Lindenwood is a 4 year institution. If not, then best of luck to him at Lindenwood.

Hey, if Brett ends up going to school for 7 years, he could end up awesome. Like VAN WILDER awesome.

I think RM is Brett Thompson's big metaphorical truck. If he gets some Sophia Bush-level ass at Lindenwood because of it, then I FULLY support his decision.

Well, his brother appears to be proud to have quit basketball in high school when faced with a tough coach.... :)

In all seriousness, most kids don't make the NBA and don't play professionally so if BT wants to stay local, be the big man on campus and play against 6'6" guys like he did in high school, then, BT, I truly hope enjoy and thank you for your time at SLU.

Not that BT is requesting, possibly Trey is, but just don't ask me to count this as a negative with respect to RM.

Why the need for the shot at Trey? Just let it go. Nothing good can come from internet posters slamming a player or his family when he decides to leave. I agree with Trey; it was a dick post and putting a :) on it doesn't change it.

If he gets some Sophia Bush-level ass at Lindenwood because of it, then I FULLY support his decision.

There are lots of slutty girls at Lindenwood. Jussayin'.

Good luck to Brett and good luck to Brad. I may try to take in a game or two out there this year. I gotta think Thompson is going to kick butt in that league.

Why the need for the shot at Trey? Just let it go. Nothing good can come from internet posters slamming a player or his family when he decides to leave. I agree with Trey; it was a dick post and putting a :) on it doesn't change it.

Well stated. It's not like he robbed a bank, beat up a girlfriend, operated a dog-fighting ring, etc. It's not like he transfered to a rival school (if we have any).

Questioning character in this situation and bashing family members is just low, even for the internet.

I agree -- lay off the players. It's just gruesome to see bitter wannabes make judgments based on zero or less evidence.

I think Lindenwood would make sense if a kid wants to keep playing, right away. No sitting out. Lots of minutes. Also -- here's a shocker, fasten your seat belts -- there are other things going on in life than Division I basketball. spoiler alert! Playing Division I may not be the end all and be all for lots of kids, and even if Brett does do it for a year and then transfers -- meaning, yes, ultimately sitting out a year -- well, blessings to him in whatever. It's a nice program that is on the verge of building something, a nice campus and arena, with a very talented and experienced new coach. A buddy of mine, Jordan Loveless, a great kid, is on that team, and he really enjoys it. What's not to like?

I think this obsession with top tier college sports can become a sort of idol in our minds, a Moloch even -- who's to say what's best for Brett Thompson? you? me? At best, we give advice and wisdom when asked; and nobody from the Thompson family has asked me so far...

I know most of the people on here would join me in wishing Brett all the best, and hoping that he finds what he's looking for.

keep in mind that it was circulated that brett just had completely lost his desire to even play basketball anymore. if that was even partially true (which is sad), then the last thing the kid needed to do is head to another division one school where not only was he not going to get to play for a year, he still had to go through the intense grind of division one athletics and try to be a successful student as well. that sounds like a difficult assignment to me.

while being nearly seven foot tall afforded him possibilities in 3-4 years, there are no guarantees. whereas a successful stint in the classroom with a degree gives him hope for a life after basketball somehow. so at that point, who could blame him for going down the basketball intensity scale to a lindenwood and playing for a coach he admitted he liked a lot when he still had a fire to play the game prior to college. combine that with the lesser attention to athletics at such a school which will afford him the time to also be a student with less stress, sounds like a nice fit for brett.

good luck to him and i hope brett has a grand life after basketball.

Well, his brother appears to be proud to have quit basketball in high school when faced with a tough coach.... :)

It is a game and the amount of time most of us spend on games diminishes as we age. Lots of good highschool athletes choose to go to school and

not play sports and many go to less competitive schools so they can continue the thrills of competing in sports even if it means trying to match their

skills against others of the same desire, speed, size, IQ, etc. We all try to find our own fit in life. Just because RM saw potential in BT does not mean

BT needs to continue to be judged by RM or anyone else. I don't know the kid, personally; I hoped he was the next Chrsi Heinrich but that is not going to be the case.

I think it was cool that Trey, the mom, and the dad all got on the board, here. I hope they are just as supportive of BT at his new school. I had a couple of dates with girls from Lindenwood 45 years ago and they were not giving up anything. So if he becomes BMOC that may help

As usual Shoe, you get half of things right. The slam was on Trey and not his brother, BT. I have never slammed BT or any other players or former player. Reread the "dick" post and you will see that I thanked BT for his time and effort. Reread all prior posts and mine and you will not find any slams againt BT or other players or former players. As to Trey or anyone else, I appreciate the insights but do question his motives -- to build sympathy and support against RM for unfair treatment of his brother? Not buying it.

Also, Shoe, reread the other half of Trey's post where he does not mention me but says "You guys are pathetic" in response to several posts and posters. Convenient to ignore that half, eh??

As to moving on, I have but apparently Trey has not. He's still posting and apparently, as mentioned above, is upset with more than me. I'm the one who suggest that there is more to life than D1 basketball while wishing BT the best. Similarly, the Lidell family used this Board to vent against RM and in support of TL. I am completely consistent yet believe that nothing good comes from families using their real names.

As usual Shoe, you get half of things right. The slam was on Trey and not his brother, BT. I have never slammed BT or any other players or former player. Reread the "dick" post and you will see that I thanked BT for his time and effort. Reread all prior posts and mine and you will not find any slams againt BT or other players or former players. As to Trey or anyone else, I appreciate the insights but do question his motives -- to build sympathy and support against RM for unfair treatment of his brother? Not buying it.

Also, Shoe, reread the other half of Trey's post where he does not mention me but says "You guys are pathetic" in response to several posts and posters. Convenient to ignore that half, eh??

As to moving on, I have but apparently Trey has not. He's still posting and apparently, as mentioned above, is upset with more than me. I'm the one who suggest that there is more to life than D1 basketball while wishing BT the best. Similarly, the Lidell family used this Board to vent against RM and in support of TL. I am completely consistent yet believe that nothing good comes from families using their real names.

Clock, in this thread you took a shot at BT's brother in the third post. He hadn't been a part of it. If you take a cheapshot at somebody, what reaction do you expect?

Clock, in this thread you took a shot at BT's brother in the third post. He hadn't been a part of it. If you take a cheapshot at somebody, what reaction do you expect?

I am aware of the order of the posts in this thread. Same topic in which Trey had posted prior. Just a new thread.

Perhaps you should reread Clock. I said you took a shot at Trey, period, end of sentence. I then went on to say that no good can come from slamming a player or his family. I did not say that you slammed BT. It was a general statement that no good can come from such activities.

Seems like just about everyone else in this thread agrees with me. You took a cheapshot at Trey and it was a dick post.

As for Trey, I think its obvious to all as to why he would have a vested interest in posting on this subject and defending perceived attacks on him or his brother. What, I can't figure out is why you would feel it necessary to post on this subject and take unprovoked cheapshots in a new thread.

One thing about this that isn't getting a lot of attention is this is a huge get for Brad. Thompson should dominate at the level and this is the kind of kid you can build a NAIA program around. Brad is off to a great start at Lindenwood.