Recruiting news coming soon

Guest BillikenReport

Polk might have had a disappointing career compared to our expectatations, but a Polk like player is the perfect guy to have as a reserve. There is a lot more that a Polk like player brings to the table as a 15-20 minute reserve than he does a your starting PG. The team could have used Polk in a reserve role last year. We need a roster full of guys that can fill different roles, we don't need a roster full of all-conference players. Also, this kid scored a hell of a lot more points in HS than DP ever did.

If this guy plays defense like DP and caan hit the occasional open 3 I'll be ecstatic.

Remember, Polk may not be the best PG ever, but he was a 4 year starter.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BillikenReport

Also, this kid scored a hell of a lot more points in HS than DP ever did.

It's probably also important to note that this kid scored a lot more points in high school than any other player on SLU's roster next year did.

Generally speaking, just because a kid isn't a tall point guard, or combo guard, doesn't mean that kid is nor will be Dwayne Polk, good or bad.

Many, though not all of the athletic, big, tall, strong point guards attend BCS schools and play in BCS leagues.

SLU has a "need" for depth in the backcourt, especially at point guard.

Thanks Captain Obvious.

Polk might have had a disappointing career compared to our expectatations, but a Polk like player is the perfect guy to have as a reserve. There is a lot more that a Polk like player brings to the table as a 15-20 minute reserve than he does a your starting PG. The team could have used Polk in a reserve role last year. We need a roster full of guys that can fill different roles, we don't need a roster full of all-conference players. Also, this kid scored a hell of a lot more points in HS than DP ever did.

exactly.

It sure is nice to be signing a kid like this in May as a backup rather than counting on him to immediately step in and compete for a starting role. I don't know if we have been in this kind of position since Grawer was coach.

I'm sure all fanbases do this but why do we have to assume they will be like some other SLU player from the past?

Small but quick without a great shot must equal Polk. Good shooter but not much else must equal Diener. Physical guard without great handle that can shoot must be Lisch. Slow big-man must be Heinrich, etc.

I'm not thrilled with this signing because

1) I really wanted to have 2 schollys to give this fall and

2) it shows the staff doesn't have the confidence in Cassity and Saleich to play 7-10 minutes a game at the point which is disapointing.

That being said, I'm sure this guy is much better than Polk who couldn't shoot or drive to the hole on offense.

I guess we look at things differently... first of all, Rick will have a scholarship available if there is a player he really wants. Secondly, the signing of JJ doesn't mean that KC and CS are not good players, it just means that he thinks JJ will fill a certain role better than them. Again, I don't believe RM would waste a scholarship on a marginal player. By the way, who is the last player SLU brought in, who had the stats of JJ?

It sure is nice to be signing a kid like this in May as a backup rather than counting on him to immediately step in and compete for a starting role. I don't know if we have been in this kind of position since Grawer was coach.

One thing I took from reading Nate's article about the kid is that when he was here he was befriended by Kwamain, the guy he will probably back up. It says something for Kwamain that he sees the big picture and doesn't mind helping a kid who wants some of his playing time. RM has talked alot about kids that want to win. It also should be noted that our staff was able to sell this kid on SLU even though he would initially be a backup despite getting offers and interest from other quality schools that may have offered more immediate playing time.

This is what ESPN wrote...

Indiana guard chooses Bilikens

Point guard Justin Jordan from Fort Wayne, Ind., verbally committed to St. Louis on his official visit Monday. Jordan chose the Bilikens over Cincinnati, Texas Tech, Wright State, Butler and Purdue.

ESPN.com's National Recruiting Director Paul Biancardi talks about this high-scoring floor leader.

"Justin is a highly recruited guard out of North Side High i in Fort Wayne," he said. "He is an explosive point guard with tremendous quickness and the coveted ability to score the basketball.

"As the second leading scorer in the talent-rich state of Indiana (27.0 ppg), Justin has shown that he can make shots from anywhere on the floor but he also has the ability to penetrate in the lane and find teammates."

Jordan competes every time out and is one of the more talented, under-the-radar prospects in this class.

"He's extremely competitive and very skilled as shown in his recent selection to the Indiana High School All-Star squad," Biancardi concluded. "He will have the opportunity to contribute right away for St. Louis."

Jordan is the sixth recruit for head coach Rick Majerus and his staff. He joins Jon Smith (Grove City, Ohio/Grove City), Christian Salecich (Queensland, Aus./Australian Institute of Sport), Cody Ellis (Perth, Aus./Australian Institute of Sport), Cory Remekun (Mesquite, Texas/Mesquite) and Jeff Reid (Topeka, Kans./Hayden).

How can a player choose one school over another when the other school never offered a scholarship? For example, Purdue did not offer Jordan yet Purdue is listed as a school that Jordan chose SLU over. I guess it makes it sound better?

Here is Coach RM on Jordan, from the SLU website:

"Justin Jordan gives us someone who is a quality young man as evidenced by his willingness to share the ball," Majerus said. "Although he was the second-highest scorer in the state of Indiana this season, we never questioned his shot selection or his willingness to hit the open man.

"We want the Billikens to move more toward a three-guard offense, and in doing so, we plan to play two bigs and three men in perimeter spots," Majerus said. "Justin sees the floor, stretches the D with his three-ball, feeds the post very well although he was not able to play with one in high school, and has an understanding of the game. We are excited about his commitment to basketball. For the first time, since becoming the coach of the Billikens, we have 13 scholarship players with which to work. Our intrasquad scrimmages won't have to be comprised of coaches. It is our intent to push the ball more on offense, so Justin will provide depth, speed and quickness.

"Justin's dad was an outstanding first-team All-Conference player at IUPU-Fort Wayne, and Justin has that competitive gene, `know-how' and feel for the game, and desire to win that his father portrayed as a player," Majerus said. "We want to play with at least a nine-man rotation, extend our pickup point, and with renewed emphasis on the fast break, this signing is very timely for us. I was fortunate to sit alongside the great coach Al McGuire and that famous St. Louisan Hank Raymonds as we competed for the 1974 national championship. Justin reminds me very much of a guard we had on that team, Lloyd Walton, who was an integral part of our success. We can only hope that Justin has the fire in the belly, and the commitment and drive Lloyd brought to our national championship runner-up '74 Warrior team."

Jordan was the second-leading scorer in the state of Indiana with a 27.7 ppg average to go along with 3.8 assists and 3.6 steals per game. The Indiana Basketball Coaches Association named Jordan as one of the Top 15 seniors in the state in 2008-09, and Hoosier Basketball Magazine listed Jordan among the Top Senior Boys this season. He was named All-Fort Wayne as selected by the Journal-Gazette. Jordan was chosen for the prestigious Indiana-Kentucky All-Star game, and he previously played in the Border Wars Classic All-Star game against standouts from Ohio. He finished as the Redskins' second-leading career scorer with 1,398 points. As a junior, Jordan averaged 24.1 points, 3.5 assists and 3.2 steals per game.

I guess we look at things differently... first of all, Rick will have a scholarship available if there is a player he really wants. Secondly, the signing of JJ doesn't mean that KC and CS are not good players, it just means that he thinks JJ will fill a certain role better than them. Again, I don't believe RM would waste a scholarship on a marginal player. By the way, who is the last player SLU brought in, who had the stats of JJ?

Luke Meyer scored 28 per game his senior year, didn't he? I know Eckerle's average was pretty high, too. I think most guys we used to bring in scored 20+, didn't they? Did I miss what level of competition JJ played against? Should I ask another question for good measure?

Luke Meyer scored 28 per game his senior year, didn't he? I know Eckerle's average was pretty high, too. I think most guys we used to bring in scored 20+, didn't they? Did I miss what level of competition JJ played against? Should I ask another question for good measure?

I'll answer my own question, Meyer's stats as per his SLU page.

High School: As a senior, averaged 28.6 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 3.0 apg and 2.4 steals per game and led Borgia to a 24-6 record ... St. Louis Post-Dispatch All-Metro first team and Missouri 4A first-team All-State ... 2004 McDonald's All-America game nominee ... four-year starter at Borgia where he finished as the all-time leading scorer with 2,192 points ... averaged 18.2 ppg, 4.2 rpg and 2.2 steals per game as a junior ... career high was 40 points against St. Dominic HS ... attended the ABCD Camp in Teaneck, N.J., during the summer of 2004 ... named to 2003 Las Vegas Big Time All-Tournament Team ... three-time Washington Missourian All-Area Player of the Year ... St. Louis Post-Dispatch Scholar Athlete Award ... member National Honor Society ... coach Dave Neier.

"Justin Jordan gives us someone who is a quality young man as evidenced by his willingness to share the ball," Majerus said. "Although he was the second-highest scorer in the state of Indiana this season, we never questioned his shot selection or his willingness to hit the open man.

"We want the Billikens to move more toward a three-guard offense, and in doing so, we plan to play two bigs and three men in perimeter spots," Majerus said. "Justin sees the floor, stretches the D with his three-ball, feeds the post very well although he was not able to play with one in high school, and has an understanding of the game. We are excited about his commitment to basketball. For the first time, since becoming the coach of the Billikens, we have 13 scholarship players with which to work. Our intrasquad scrimmages won't have to be comprised of coaches. It is our intent to push the ball more on offense, so Justin will provide depth, speed and quickness.

"Justin's dad was an outstanding first-team All-Conference player at IUPU-Fort Wayne, and Justin has that competitive gene, `know-how' and feel for the game, and desire to win that his father portrayed as a player," Majerus said. "We want to play with at least a nine-man rotation, extend our pickup point, and with renewed emphasis on the fast break, this signing is very timely for us. I was fortunate to sit alongside the great coach Al McGuire and that famous St. Louisan Hank Raymonds as we competed for the 1974 national championship. Justin reminds me very much of a guard we had on that team, Lloyd Walton, who was an integral part of our success. We can only hope that Justin has the fire in the belly, and the commitment and drive Lloyd brought to our national championship runner-up '74 Warrior team."

Jordan was the second-leading scorer in the state of Indiana with a 27.7 ppg average to go along with 3.8 assists and 3.6 steals per game. The Indiana Basketball Coaches Association named Jordan as one of the Top 15 seniors in the state in 2008-09, and Hoosier Basketball Magazine listed Jordan among the Top Senior Boys this season. He was named All-Fort Wayne as selected by the Journal-Gazette. Jordan was chosen for the prestigious Indiana-Kentucky All-Star game, and he previously played in the Border Wars Classic All-Star game against standouts from Ohio. He finished as the Redskins' second-leading career scorer with 1,398 points. As a junior, Jordan averaged 24.1 points, 3.5 assists and 3.2 steals per game.

I particularly like his steals totals for the last two yrs. Those show me that he really is quick, something I don't remember us having in the recent past. Neither KM or DP could handle really quick guards such as Lowe of UMASS. He was too quick for either even though they were both above average with regard to their speed. If he can move as quickly as Lowe and still have a decent outside shot, then the coaches have really found something.

As an aside, RM & his ACs really fly under the radar when it comes to recruiting. I don't recall anyone mentioning JJ's name as a player we were after. Wonder how we found him and convinced him to become a Billiken.

Good point and health skepticism. At the same time, while stats can often be misleading, I believe they tend to be more accurate for PGs than guys like LM. Frankly, I was a bit disappointed at LM's point totals at SLU in that I too looked at his gaudy highschool scoring numbers and hoped/wished he'd do the same at SLU. Possibly if he could have played the 3 as opposed to the 4, things would have been different. At the same time, though, believe LM would have a had quickness, ball handling and shooting problems at the 3. While he could help the guards bring the ball down the court, he dribbling was not his strength. Also, it was his mid-range shot and FT shooting and not his outside shot which were so good. Often, high school guys who are 6'4" or so can get their points in high school either by being taller than the opposing guard or by picking up alot of points in the lane. There are alot of 6'3" power forwards who have great high school careers but few are able to produce at the college level - Donnie Dobbs is an exception. Believe LM was more of a great high school player who, b/c of his lack of height (imagine if he grew to 6'8"), was more or less reduced to a role player at the college level.

Big men are often the same. Many get fewer points than should b/c they lack the guards to get them the ball and to keep the defense honest as opposed to being triple-teamed or a collapsing zone. At the same time, many get more points because they face unequal talent and size.

RM said:

"We want the Billikens to move more toward a three-guard offense, and in doing so, we plan to play two bigs and three men in perimeter spots," Majerus said.

This is quite surprising to me!! Anyone else?? I thought we were going with 2 guards and 3 forwards. Thoughts??

The 3 guard thing is a little puzzling. Will we be playing 3 guards next year? I don't have a problem with it on paper if we do but most of our talent resides in the frontcourt, why would we limit that rotation to 2 players on the court. Also as far as i know Majerus hasn't been a proponent of playing small lineups historically.

Guest BillikenReport

RM said:

"We want the Billikens to move more toward a three-guard offense, and in doing so, we plan to play two bigs and three men in perimeter spots," Majerus said.

This is quite surprising to me!! Anyone else?? I thought we were going with 2 guards and 3 forwards. Thoughts??

I was surprised to read that, but not surprised that they would play with three guards next year.

They don't have a true small forward on the roster next year and they have FIVE shooting guards.

except that Polk wasn't especially quick, didn't have great handles and couldn't get into the lane at will. This kid was listed at 5'10" 180. What was Polk? 5'8" and 155?

Something like that - you are right except that Polk was quick he just could not doing anything once he got in among the trees since nobody had to cover him on the outside all they did was sag and he would be blanketed inside.

Good points - by the way, this will allow SLU to concentrate on 2011 class without having to kill themselves recruiting for 2 years at a time.

Guest BillikenReport

Good points - by the way, this will allow SLU to concentrate on 2011 class without having to kill themselves recruiting for 2 years at a time.

They will recruit the 2010 class heavily. They have one scholarship to give, but they are looking at a lot of kids right now.

"We want the Billikens to move more toward a three-guard offense, and in doing so, we plan to play two bigs and three men in perimeter spots," Majerus said. "Justin sees the floor, stretches the D with his three-ball, feeds the post very well although he was not able to play with one in high school, and has an understanding of the game. We are excited about his commitment to basketball. For the first time, since becoming the coach of the Billikens, we have 13 scholarship players with which to work. Our intrasquad scrimmages won't have to be comprised of coaches. It is our intent to push the ball more on offense, so Justin will provide depth, speed and quickness."

This appears to be a direct contradiction to everything I've been reading here on billikens.com about Coach Majerus's preferred style of play, regarding how many guards play, length of the rotation, and tempo.

They will recruit the 2010 class heavily. They have one scholarship to give, but they are looking at a lot of kids right now.

I would be willing to bet that at least one or two more scholarships will be available for next year.

This appears to be a direct contradiction to everything I've been reading here on billikens.com about Coach Majerus's preferred style of play, regarding how many guards play, length of the rotation, and tempo.

My guess is that the third "guard" will be one of the bigger outside players who might really qualify as a 3 on some teams. I would not be surprised to see Smith as the third guard, possibly alternating with Sal, Reid, Femi, etc. Also, if the other team plays three big guys then I can see us putting Ellis at the 3. If you watched a lot of games in the NCAA tournament this year most teams have some sort of 3 guard set up and we will need to be able to match up with those teams. Before this year is over I would think that we will see many many combinations based upon hard work in practice, game effectiveness and match ups. We may not be great but it will be about as interesting and exciting a team as we have ever seen in a Billiken uniform. I like the incoming class at least as much as the one from last year. The competition for playing time will be extremely intense. Hopefully, all of these young men take it as a welcome challenge because if they do we could have a nice team by the end of next year. At a minimum, we should be very good the following year. go Bills

I was surprised to read that, but not surprised that they would play with three guards next year.

They don't have a true small forward on the roster next year and they have FIVE shooting guards.

Guess my historical defintion of a "small forward" need some updating. I consider a player who is most natural playing with his back to the basket to be a forward and who is most natural facing the basket to be a guard. Am I missing something?

Scott Highmark played small forward but I considered him more of a third guard since he preferred to shoot the 3 rather than post-up and rebound. Will Reid play a more similar game to Highmark? Also, while TL III played a completely different game than Highmark and may have been one SLU's best rebounders, I still considered TL III to be more of a guard. When FJ (also who appears to me to be more of a guard) gets time, I guess I can see that more at the 3 than the 2. I am assuming that Reid and FJ prefer to play facing the basket as opposed to with their back to it. What can you tell us?

As to the other guards, I understand CS is more of a guard and I am assuming he will try to play the position held down by KL and that Jordan will backup KM at the PG.

As to the forwards, I thought J Smith would be more of true forward playing the 3. Doesn't he mostly play (albeit in highschool) with his back to the basket? Also, I thought that CE (who seems like a bigger and more talented BC) would be used to try and play small forward as well. From the U-Tube clips, CE looks like he mostly is playing with his back to the basket. Based upon my limited knowledge, both of these guys appear to have different games than TLIII, Highmark, FJ and Reid.

Will RM have JS and CE play start off competing at the 4? IMO, BC cannot play anything but the 4 and if CE develops and if a 3 guard offense is used, BC will not get off the bench that much. Does this mean WR will be used mostly at the 5 with BT?