The One player who would have been helped by a red shirt

Brett Thompson this guy did not play against good competition in High School and that is obvious. He just needs alot of work. Starting in the weight room this would not only help him with strength but also his athletic ability.

I did not know he had nice range when buried that 3. He has great potential but needs to buckle-down in the off-down.

Brett Thompson this guy did not play against good competition in High School and that is obvious. He just needs alot of work. Starting in the weight room this would not only help him with strength but also his athletic ability.

if we had Majerus for a few years KC, WR, KC all could be added to a list of guys who are soft, young and need another year of practise against our

own. All have talent but need to be tougher to put up with A10 hand checking pressure and better guards

I don't know that we'll have the depth to allow, but I'd like to see him red shirt next year.

I don't know that we'll have the depth to allow, but I'd like to see him red shirt next year.

That wont happen and it shouldnt. We play in a league that should allow him to compete this year. If he is not ready phsycially for the A10 then we should have never recruited him in the first place.

I think he has showed some good things in the past few games. I dont like him feeding it to the post but he passes the ball well and shows he has a nice touch. Now he needs to toughen up a bit under the hoop and get more 50/50 balls. Brett and Willie will be a force to reckon with.

That wont happen and it shouldnt. We play in a league that should allow him to compete this year. If he is not ready phsycially for the A10 then we should have never recruited him in the first place.

I think he has showed some good things in the past few games. I dont like him feeding it to the post but he passes the ball well and shows he has a nice touch. Now he needs to toughen up a bit under the hoop and get more 50/50 balls. Brett and Willie will be a force to reckon with.

Countless times I have posted how I like the way BT clears out. His 3 pointer showed good technique but the biggest improvent to his game would be two handed rebounding. I can't recall one time when we have had a big throw the ball out to a perimenter player that the perimeter player was

able to pass it back in as the defense moved out away from the basket. BT passes well as does Conklin. What was with Conklin helping bring the

ball down yesterday with KM and TL on the floor we were being trapped and neither TL or KM noticed?

BT needed the minutes he got this year against stronger more experienced players. He wouldn't have benefited at all from just practicing against a bean pole and inexperienced player like Reed. He will be much more prepared for next season as a result of the minutes he received this year. He is going to be a fine player player for us. He is light years ahead of where Vouyoukas was at this point.

BT needed the minutes he got this year against stronger more experienced players. He wouldn't have benefited at all from just practicing against a bean pole and inexperienced player like Reed. He will be much more prepared for next season as a result of the minutes he received this year. He is going to be a fine player player for us. He is light years ahead of were Vouyoukas was at this point.

Good points. Just because a kid isn't 100% ready his freshman year doesn't mean he needs to be redshirted, especially when we have so little depth. BT has shown flashes. This kids will eclipse IV's accomplishments IMO.

Guest BillikenReport

Thompson's numbers are very close to Bryce Husak's during his junior season:

41 Thompson, Brett.... 23-5 260 11.3 17-42 .405 1-6 .167 13-18 .722 19 44 63 2.7 35 0 5 25 12 6 48 2.1

44 Husak, Bryce....... 22-2 224 10.2 22-47 .468 2-5 .400 0-6 .000 18 27 45 2.0 26 0 6 10 14 3 46 2.1

Here are Husak's stats for his senior season:

44 Husak, Bryce....... 30-17 545 18.2 68-136 .500 4-10 .400 25-42 .595 38 90 128 4.3 73 3 16 47 32 2 165 5.5

Good points. Just because a kid isn't 100% ready his freshman year doesn't mean he needs to be redshirted, especially when we have so little depth. BT has shown flashes. This kids will eclipse IV's accomplishments IMO.

I don't know if Id go that far. I think BT has a great deal of potential, but IV had a very good Jr year and didn't get the proper credit for his Sr year. The loss of IV was huge .... TL and KL can attest to that

I don't know if Id go that far. I think BT has a great deal of potential, but IV had a very good Jr year and didn't get the proper credit for his Sr year. The loss of IV was huge .... TL and KL can attest to that

I'm basing this off of how they compare as freshmen. Also, BT has one of the best "bigs" coaches in the country. Add those two to the talent he is likely to have around him and I think BT has a very good chance to eclipse IV.

-at times BT shows flashes that if he were able to make these moments consistent he would be a very good player at this point

-of course, at times some flashes show the work that needs to be done, but isn't that part of being a frosh?

-i like what i see from him and where he could go, hope in the offseason he does what the plan for him is, and if he does i think next year his contribution goes up and his junior year we see a really good player, i am thinking 12pts, 8 boards, a couple blocks

-btw, the offseason to me would be working on his quickness, strength and agility

RM's reputation and recruiting ability are proving to be assets to our program, but don't kid yourself, there aren't many 7'0" kids that make immediate impact as freshman and those that do, don't go to SLU. Schools like SLU need to find kids and develop them to be forces in their Junior and Senior years. The problem we've had and what leads to the frustration of our big men not being ready is that SLU will land a player like IV, watch him develop and then fail to have any one waiting in the wings when he graduates. Brad was not able to stack his recruiting classes to provide adequate depth and competition.

RM saw something in BT (and all the freshman for that matter) that would benefit this program over the long haul. As he continues to stack his classes, the practices will become more and more competitive and intense and improvement will be noticeable.

Every player on our roster might have been helped by a redshirt with the exception of KM. Any reports on Femi's progress? Reed could've used it, so too with Brett. Kyle appears to have some baby fat he could stand to lose. Of course, then you have no one on the roster or a situation like Husak. He redshirted as well and while a nice kid, I'm not sure the improvement meant much overall to Bryce's ability.

Voyoukos was arguably the best center of all Billiken modern times. If BT appraoches that, I'd be extremely happy. I'd even be happy with Heiney levels. Anything near Braun and Husak, not good. We need more. Someday, with Brett at center and Willie at power forward. Now that would be nice.

Guest BillikenReport

Every player on our roster might have been helped by a redshirt with the exception of KM.

I agree. The good news is that in the future you'll see more kids redshirting and developing. Cory Remekun is a good example of a kid who from all accounts has a chance to be very good, but needs to get stronger and he should be able to do that with his redshirt year (if they can afford to redshirt him).

Don't forget that part of the benefit of Chaifetz Arena is also having a state-of-the-art training facility. These kids are all going to get bigger and stronger, but you're not going to see that pay off right away when they are freshmen.

Countless times I have posted how I like the way BT clears out. His 3 pointer showed good technique but the biggest improvent to his game would be two handed rebounding. I can't recall one time when we have had a big throw the ball out to a perimenter player that the perimeter player was

able to pass it back in as the defense moved out away from the basket. BT passes well as does Conklin. What was with Conklin helping bring the

ball down yesterday with KM and TL on the floor we were being trapped and neither TL or KM noticed?

Rhoddy was pressing so Conklin through the ball in and had to be the receiving player at some point - he did not really bring the ball down - he simply got the ball from the guard who was then double teamed and then he would pass it off to the guard again or down the floor. Nothing mysterious about that strategy. BT will play next year and red shirting him this year might have been a good idea but was not possible. He will only get better. I do think he sometimes forces passes but he will learn.

I agree. The good news is that in the future you'll see more kids redshirting and developing. Cory Remekun is a good example of a kid who from all accounts has a chance to be very good, but needs to get stronger and he should be able to do that with his redshirt year (if they can afford to redshirt him).

Don't forget that part of the benefit of Chaifetz Arena is also having a state-of-the-art training facility. These kids are all going to get bigger and stronger, but you're not going to see that pay off right away when they are freshmen.

I don't know if a redshirt would have helped Thompson. He needed the experience of going against better and stronger players more than anything. He was not going to get it just practicing this year. He would have had many of the same adjustment problems next year if he would have sat this year. I am glad that he knows what it will take next year for him to preform.

Guest BillikenReport

I don't know if a redshirt would have helped Thompson. He needed the experience of going against better and stronger players more than anything. He was not going to get it just practicing this year. He would have had many of the same adjustment problems next year if he would have sat this year. I am glad that he knows what it will take next year for him to preform.

A redshirt could have helped him get stronger, lose weight and get the experience of practicing all the time and learning what was expected of him that way. I would guess that in practice he probably goes up against Alex Jensen at times, which wouldn't be bad for him.

But you are right that he needs the experience he is getting. The difference, if he were to redshirt instead of playing, would be he would be more physically ready to contribute next season than he was this year.

Whatever the case, Thompson is going to be fine. If he works hard, he'll have a chance to contribute a lot to the program and then go and play professionally somewhere for a number of years.

Am I missing something or isn't it still a bit rare to redshirt your basketball players. They still count toward your number of scholarships but I guess most teams only play 8 to 10 games anyway. Linemen in college football are typcially redshirted to get bigger and stronger and it appears to be more the norm. Do most programs redshirt healthy kids each year? Do we really want a few kids each year to redshirt? Maybe we do.

FJ was only 17 and therefore very young for his class. Also, by all accounts, SLU academics was going to be a bigger challenge for him than other kids.JJ and BH were other healthy redshirts for us as opposed to OI who really needed time to medically improve. I thought this was more of the reason he was redshirting than to gain strength and improve his shot/game.

Would not every kid benefit by a redshirt year? TL, in essence, got that extra year at prep school but still was quite skinny and not nearly as strong as he is today. Seems to be that redshirting needs to include more than just a kid benefitting from another year to improve/gain strength.

A lot of practice Brett goes against Coach Al...much better than going against WR imo

Am I missing something or isn't it still a bit rare to redshirt your basketball players. They still count toward your number of scholarships but I guess most teams only play 8 to 10 games anyway. Linemen in college football are typcially redshirted to get bigger and stronger and it appears to be more the norm. Do most programs redshirt healthy kids each year? Do we really want a few kids each year to redshirt? Maybe we do.

FJ was only 17 and therefore very young for his class. Also, by all accounts, SLU academics was going to be a bigger challenge for him than other kids.JJ and BH were other healthy redshirts for us as opposed to OI who really needed time to medically improve. I thought this was more of the reason he was redshirting than to gain strength and improve his shot/game.

Would not every kid benefit by a redshirt year? TL, in essence, got that extra year at prep school but still was quite skinny and not nearly as strong as he is today. Seems to be that redshirting needs to include more than just a kid benefitting from another year to improve/gain strength.

Cory Remekun is a year younger also just like Femi so that has to be taken into account when discussing his red shirt

Guest BillikenReport

FJ was only 17 and therefore very young for his class. Also, by all accounts, SLU academics was going to be a bigger challenge for him than other kids.

Femi was an honor roll student in high school. Academics were never an issue with him.