Willie Reed named A-10 rookie of the week

Guest BillikenReport

Guest BillikenReport

Nice recognition for Willie:

http://saintlouis.scout.com/2/827468.html

Reed has a chance to be really good once he gets stronger and more acclimated to the college game. His lack of weight and strength still hurts him, and could really hurt him in conference play, but he's got the potential to be one of the most dynamic post players in the conference. Reed, Brian Conklin and Brett Thompson should give the Billikens a strong frontcourt for the next few years as they keep getting better.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reed has a chance to be really good once he gets stronger and more acclimated to the college game. His lack of weight and strength still hurts him, and could really hurt him in conference play, but he's got the potential to be one of the most dynamic post players in the conference. Reed, Brian Conklin and Brett Thompson should give the Billikens a strong frontcourt for the next few years as they keep getting better.

Awesome. Thanks for posting. I suspect this is just the beginning of Mr. Reed's awards. I sure wish we could get some quotes from our freshman.

Awesome. Thanks for posting. I suspect this is just the beginning of Mr. Reed's awards. I sure wish we could get some quotes from our freshman.

personally, i think rickma not letting the freshmen talk to the media is a good thing. a little college experience will go miles in insuring that they learn to say the right thing and present themselves accordingly as billikens.

i am sure they are all very engaging youngsters, but they will have three more years.

Therein lies the rub. In the past, our big men have not gotten better. Baniak, the big guy from Philadelphia that liked ceramics...they were good but didn't get better. Now I am sure RM will be on top of these guys throughout the summer and off season to stay sharp academicly, and physically.

Brett Thompson might really help himself with the 'Big Man Camp' out west during the summer. They stressed the footwork and conditioning.

I would like to see one new big man added each recruiting class to help out. Will need to replace BE in the rotation. If one of the new kids is as good as these three, we should be golden going forward.

mhg

Brett Thompson might really help himself with the 'Big Man Camp' out west during the summer. They stressed the footwork and conditioning.

I would like to see one new big man added each recruiting class to help out. Will need to replace BE in the rotation. If one of the new kids is as good as these three, we should be golden going forward.

mhg

I would like to see WR play the 3 next year, BC as the 4, and BT as the 5 all on the floor at the same time; I believe these would all rebound and score better with only two guards in the game. Obviously Conklin is the only one that could play 30 plus minutes-WR because of the toll getting beat up inside takes on him and BT might have fouls and or defensive problems keep up with his man if he was in more than 20 minutes. With a couple of 6 foot 7 guys hopefully coming next year we could be beefier and more athletic than what TL and BE

give us although I find it hard not to like what we are getting from TL at both ends of the court, now and BE

gives us completions or finishes well when a pass finds him. I sure wish RM would let BE start so he gave us his

A game-when he comes in off the bench he does not look as good.

Therein lies the rub. In the past, our big men have not gotten better. Baniak, the big guy from Philadelphia that liked ceramics...they were good but didn't get better. Now I am sure RM will be on top of these guys throughout the summer and off season to stay sharp academicly, and physically.

mhg

Heinrich got better. I liked him a lot as a senior, especially compared to the goon he was as a freshman. Tough kid and good defender by the time he left SLU- never had great touch or finesse but developed by leaps and bounds.

Vouyoukas also got better. I saw flashes when he was a freshman and he got some NBA looks by the end of his very strong junior year. His problem was that he didn't make another step forward after that season.

Baniak was a disappointment, given the amount of hype that incoming class had. From all accounts I've heard, he was a good guy who worked hard but never had that toughness that bigs need. He also started out as a pre-med student (finished business) and was sort of a loner instead of a good teammate.

Other than that, you're right, we haven't had a ton of success in developing bigs. I think these two are going to be different.

mhg

I would like to see WR play the 3 next year, BC as the 4, and BT as the 5 all on the floor at the same time; I believe these would all rebound and score better with only two guards in the game. Obviously Conklin is the only one that could play 30 plus minutes-WR because of the toll getting beat up inside takes on him and BT might have fouls and or defensive problems keep up with his man if he was in more than 20 minutes. With a couple of 6 foot 7 guys hopefully coming next year we could be beefier and more athletic than what TL and BE

give us although I find it hard not to like what we are getting from TL at both ends of the court, now and BE

gives us completions or finishes well when a pass finds him. I sure wish RM would let BE start so he gave us his

A game-when he comes in off the bench he does not look as good.

I don't see Willie as a 3 at all. At this stage he has no perimeter game at all, the defense would just sag off him and dare him to shoot. We have plenty of minutes for all our bigs inside. I don't really even see Conklin as a 3, though I'd put him there before Willie.

Heinrich got better. I liked him a lot as a senior, especially compared to the goon he was as a freshman. Tough kid and good defender by the time he left SLU- never had great touch or finesse but developed by leaps and bounds.

Vouyoukas also got better. I saw flashes when he was a freshman and he got some NBA looks by the end of his very strong junior year. His problem was that he didn't make another step forward after that season.

Baniak was a disappointment, given the amount of hype that incoming class had. From all accounts I've heard, he was a good guy who worked hard but never had that toughness that bigs need. He also started out as a pre-med student (finished business) and was sort of a loner instead of a good teammate.

Other than that, you're right, we haven't had a ton of success in developing bigs. I think these two are going to be different.

Going back a few more years, you will find the big man who I think developed the most of any---Anthony Bonner. He came to SLU with only one other D1 scholarship offer (SIU-C), was relatively thin, a good rebounder, average to below average shooter. I watched R. Grawer work with AB for hours, just the two of them, and when AB graduated, he was a 1st round draft choice in the NBA, and the all-time leading scorer and rebounder in SLU history. You talk about development!!!!!!!!

As an aside, I hope AB knows, and greatly appreciates, what RG did for him.

Going back a few more years, you will find the big man who I think developed the most of any---Anthony Bonner. He came to SLU with only one other D1 scholarship offer (SIU-C), was relatively thin, a good rebounder, average to below average shooter. I watched R. Grawer work with AB for hours, just the two of them, and when AB graduated, he was a 1st round draft choice in the NBA, and the all-time leading scorer and rebounder in SLU history. You talk about development!!!!!!!!

i thought i remember that purdue also offered bonner. might have former billikens mixed up though so wouldnt bet on that.

I don't see Willie as a 3 at all. At this stage he has no perimeter game at all, the defense would just sag off him and dare him to shoot. We have plenty of minutes for all our bigs inside. I don't really even see Conklin as a 3, though I'd put him there before Willie.

Agreed. I can't see Willie as a three. Willie is a 4/5 IMO. I think his best position would be a 4, but he can also play a solid 5. He would probably be faster than most centers. But I don't think he will ever have the thickness to be a great center. Just my opnion, but even as he puts on weight, I never anticipate him being a "banger". His speed and athleticism will always be his best traits. He would also have a height advantage on many of the 4's he'll face. Our frontcourt is going to be incredible in 2 years...if not 1.

The key to Willie playing the 3 is can he defend away from the basket. Offensively, you would post him up. He would be a nightmare for most teams to defend.

Summer before his freshman year at SLU the coaches had remarked that when they happen to see AB, Douglas, Gray and whoever else was involved in pick up games that every single time the two man team

with AB won. He was a man among boys by his senior year but he was never slim as a freshman and always

was our prayers answered as a rebounder. If he would have developed a real jump shot he would have stayed in the NBA longer. He was a great SLU player on and off the court for four years. He had talent and he worked very hard to keep improving. Gray came in smaller, grew and kept getting better. Douglas was

a great, exciting player to watch but junior and senior years were repeats of sophomore talent level. Either

he was too short or too predictable with his shake and bake move or sky high jumpers but his senior year it

was as if he was in Grawer' doghouse some games.

i thought i remember that purdue also offered bonner. might have former billikens mixed up though so wouldnt bet on that.

No Purdue. But this little tidbit from the day he signed will no doubt tickle your Tiger-lovin' heart:

"Missouri coach Norm Stewart got into the sweepstakes for Bonner in recent weeks and made a heavy push, Bonner said. But for the most part, SLU and SIUC were the only schools with a real chance.

'' 'If I would have given Missouri a chance, it wouldn't have been fair to the other coaches who had been recruiting me all year, because Missouri started recruiting me late,' Bonner said."

Guest BillikenReport

Bonner and Grawer are still close. Grawer was helping him when Bonner became the coach at Vashon.

The key to Willie playing the 3 is can he defend away from the basket. Offensively, you would post him up. He would be a nightmare for most teams to defend.

post him up? so what you are really saying is call him a 3 but really just have duel power forwards? either that or he isnt really a small forward. tommie liddell is a small forward. do you really visualize willie becoming tommie liddell?

the truth is with his athleticism with added strength he becomes a nightmare power forward. that is what willie should be working towards. any attempt to become tommie liddell is not going to come to fruition while at slu. it is years to develop that sort of outside shooting and outcourt ball skills to be a wing.

post him up? so what you are really saying is call him a 3 but really just have duel power forwards? either that or he isnt really a small forward. tommie liddell is a small forward. do you really visualize willie becoming tommie liddell?

the truth is with his athleticism with added strength he becomes a nightmare power forward. that is what willie should be working towards. any attempt to become tommie liddell is not going to come to fruition while at slu. it is years to develop that sort of outside shooting and outcourt ball skills to be a wing.

Roy, you like many other are too hung up on a number. Denny Crum, used to laugh at the suggestion that a player is a 1 or a 2. His idea was to put his 5 best players on the floor, and let the opposition worry about how to play them. If Brett Thompson ever develops enough to play major minutes, it would be interesting to see what the trio of Wiilie, BC, and BT could do on the floor together. The key to this lineup would be if willie could defend a smaller quicker player ( a big if ), offensively, this lineup would have the ability to dominate inside and control the boards on both ends. Additionally, BT has show the potential to have a decent mid-range game, and could possibly even become a 3 point threat. At this point, I would not limit the possibilities of what a Willie Reed can do.

If only it worked that easy. People always say that, unfortunately, it just doesn't work like that. Did you notice no one just posted up Dwayne Polk? I could see us using a big lineup like that against a rare matchup, but not on a normal basis.

If only it worked that easy. People always say that, unfortunately, it just doesn't work like that. Did you notice no one just posted up Dwayne Polk? I could see us using a big lineup like that against a rare matchup, but not on a normal basis.

It was my dream but I can only imagine it with a 20 mins. max per game. I think Conklin is the only one who

can maintain his focus beyond that. It is like BE you can get 3-5 minutes max from him before he starts pulling jerseys. I just see so much upside to BT and WR it is exciting to think about 3 years from now what could be our best frontcourt ever.

In my opinion, Ian got better since he left SLU in the off season and worked out with the Greek team. He stayed in SL before his sr year and did nothing better. I don't think Heinrich got much better. He was a freshman when we opened the Dome and beat the Illini. He was a beast in that game. Never saw him develop much after that. He helped us hold our own against the thugs from UC, it was amazin the change in that team when we had Heinrich. But I don't think he was much better than his first year.

mhg

In my opinion, Ian got better since he left SLU in the off season and worked out with the Greek team. He stayed in SL before his sr year and did nothing better. I don't think Heinrich got much better. He was a freshman when we opened the Dome and beat the Illini. He was a beast in that game. Never saw him develop much after that. He helped us hold our own against the thugs from UC, it was amazin the change in that team when we had Heinrich. But I don't think he was much better than his first year.

mhg

You've forgotten what he did to KU when Roy brought them to town. He stood tall in that game.

Roy, you like many other are too hung up on a number. Denny Crum, used to laugh at the suggestion that a player is a 1 or a 2. His idea was to put his 5 best players on the floor, and let the opposition worry about how to play them. If Brett Thompson ever develops enough to play major minutes, it would be interesting to see what the trio of Wiilie, BC, and BT could do on the floor together. The key to this lineup would be if willie could defend a smaller quicker player ( a big if ), offensively, this lineup would have the ability to dominate inside and control the boards on both ends. Additionally, BT has show the potential to have a decent mid-range game, and could possibly even become a 3 point threat. At this point, I would not limit the possibilities of what a Willie Reed can do.

what about willies outside shot lets you think he is going to become erwin claggett?

i love willie reed. but i love willie reed strictly as an athletic inside player. i dont want willie reed outside of the lane for any intended period of time offensively or defensively. and imo, the chances that he develops an outside game is less than the chance he puts on 25 pounds of muscle which will only make him almost a sure fire nba player whereas a marginal outside game makes him a future asst college coach.

think of izik a few years back. izik had maybe a little more than marginal outside skills and is not playing in isreal, not the nba. and what success izik had as a billiken was more apparent when he was convinced to stay inside, not go outside. right now willie reed is no where close to being izik away from the lane.

I pretty much agree with you Nate as far as Willie needing to get stronger but I can foresee a scenario where his numbers will improve during conference play, at least early on until he hit some rookie wall. Tommie and Kevin as always will be the focus of the defense. That is more amplified during conference play as teams figure you stop them you pretty much stop the Billkens. This will allow Willie and Brian to take advantage of over aggressive defenses with offensive rebounds and easy put backs. I can't find the post but I did post once in the past how I felt Willie was a critical player. I felt his athleticism would allow him to have some success as teams concentrated on Tommie and Kevin. I never saw Brian coming.

mhg

Heinrich was much better his senior year than he was as a freshman. He was tougher, a much better defender individually and as a help defender and on offense he could finally make a layup which he could not do at all as a freshman. I can remember time after time he would get the ball underneath and blow the layup. By his senior year he could dunk and his the layups with no difficulty.