Willie Reed named A-10 rookie of the week

Guest BillikenReport

Heinrich was much better his senior year than he was as a freshman. He was tougher, a much better defender individually and as a help defender and on offense he could finally make a layup which he could not do at all as a freshman. I can remember time after time he would get the ball underneath and blow the layup. By his senior year he could dunk and his the layups with no difficulty.

Billikan you are right.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/sa.../chris-heinrich

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heinrich started his last two years but never averaged more than 20 minutes per game according to this chart; at 6 foot 11 and 255 poounds he absolutely stopped any guard from making a layup on us. Not only did he plug the middle but he was responsible for SLU starting a pottery major

something we had lost about 1965 when they tore down the old fine arts building on Grand and put in a parking lot and grassy knoll.

BT could be a better scorer than Heinrich who barely scored 7 ppg in his senior year and only average .5 blocks per game. However, the crowd couldn't wait for him to be in the game because the other team was picking itself off the floor instead our guys getting bounced by the Huggins thugs,etc.

In my opinion, Ian got better since he left SLU in the off season and worked out with the Greek team. He stayed in SL before his sr year and did nothing better. I don't think Heinrich got much better. He was a freshman when we opened the Dome and beat the Illini. He was a beast in that game. Never saw him develop much after that. He helped us hold our own against the thugs from UC, it was amazin the change in that team when we had Heinrich. But I don't think he was much better than his first year.

mhg

These posts on Chris H got be wondering so I went back and looked at his stats that were available on line - he really did not improve all that much from a scoring and rebounding perspective while at SLU but I do remember his foot work and defense improved over the years. All in all, CH was not a stiff and probably reached what ever potential he actually had. (I did not have the access to the site Brian posted - I agree it is a very good website)

These posts on Chris H got be wondering so I went back and looked at his stats that were available on line - he really did not improve all that much from a scoring and rebounding perspective while at SLU but I do remember his foot work and defense improved over the years. All in all, CH was not a stiff and probably reached what ever potential he actually had.

You guys are just looking at stats. Heinrich's greatest quality was that he played so hard and (believe it or not) worked out so hard in the offseasons. He gave opponents fits out there. It showed up considerably more each year, even if the stats only show a little improvement in points, minutes, and percentages. He wasn't a guy who was ever expected to carry the load in scoring; he had no finesse and limited upside. He just worked. I saw the improvement with my own eyes.

Guest BillikenReport

You guys are just looking at stats. Heinrich's greatest quality was that he played so hard and (believe it or not) worked out so hard in the offseasons. He gave opponents fits out there. It showed up considerably more each year, even if the stats only show a little improvement in points, minutes, and percentages. He wasn't a guy who was ever expected to carry the load in scoring; he had no finesse and limited upside. He just worked. I saw the improvement with my own eyes.

I've said this before, but I'll add it here.

Heinrich and I are about the same age and grew up about 30 minutes from each other in PA. I never heard of him until I moved to St. Louis after college.

Carry on.

I've said this before, but I'll add it here.

Heinrich and I are about the same age and grew up about 30 minutes from each other in PA. I never heard of him until I moved to St. Louis after college.

Carry on.

Didn't he go to some small private prep school in eastern PA?

As I remember how we got Chris was during the big Las Vegas AAU Tourney. Spoon's coaching staff that summer went out Vegas to follow Hughes (who they already knew they had) and noticed Chris. Rumor I heard, Larry convinced him to come to SLU.

I always liked Chris. Both he and Tatem made us very strong underneath.

Guest BillikenReport

has lasalle always been an option for ruben?

His high school coach from Miami is apparently working at La Salle in some capacity, like graduate assistant coach.

I've heard one of the reasons he wants to go to La Salle is so he can play against SLU in future seasons.

Guest BillikenReport

This impressed me about Willie.

In the SLU media guide, in the Q&A section of Reed's page, he had the following answer:

What impresses you the most about coach Majerus?

"That he knows so much about the game and is willing to teach any player who wants to learn."

His high school coach from Miami is apparently working at La Salle in some capacity, like graduate assistant coach.

I've heard one of the reasons he wants to go to La Salle is so he can play against SLU in future seasons.

He went from highschool basketball coach to Director of Basketball Operatons. That sounds like a big jump.

He went from highschool basketball coach to Director of Basketball Operatons. That sounds like a big jump.

Not really. The DOBO is basically a travel agent for the team and does all the gophering. Not saying it is a nothing job but he probably had the background to do it.

This impressed me about Willie.

In the SLU media guide, in the Q&A section of Reed's page, he had the following answer:

What impresses you the most about coach Majerus?

"That he knows so much about the game and is willing to teach any player who wants to learn."

That really pisses me off - nobody dissed him on the board for leaving, in fact people wished he had stayed. If he is angry at RM then fine but it is not like he was not playing at all - 13min per game is not bad for a freshman - and he was the one who left, RM did not get rid of him. Now I am not so sure I give a damn what happens to him.

cotto is so misguided right now it is unbelieveable. rickma should be a god to him considering the way rickma and staff put up with cotto and his antics from the way i hear it. no way our coaching staff should be in his sights. just unbelieveable.

Fine by me, Salecich will lock his ass up. I'd post the video of that croc death rolling some dude's arm off, but everyone would puke on their keyboards and no one would be able to post anymore.

Guest BillikenReport

Fine by me, Salecich will lock his ass up. I'd post the video of that croc death rolling some dude's arm off, but everyone would puke on their keyboards and no one would be able to post anymore.

Thanks for not posting that.

The three biggest reasons Heinrich's scoring numbers never went up are Perry, Love, and Jeffers. He wasn't supposed to be a scorer on those teams.

Heinrich was a stiff his first year. A big rocking chair could have done the smae things he did on the court. I thought this was once again some huge Spoon recruiting debacle. Baniak showed some real flashes of good defense and scoring his first year which made Heinrich look worse.

From that point on Heinrich outshone Baniak. Baniak had much more talent but Heinrich plain worked harder. He was a top post defender by his Jr year. He just would plain shutdown the best 4s and 5s we faced. BY his Sr year he had become a guy who couldn't walk and chew gum to a serviceable post up option on offense. He had a few good moves. He was still slow as hell and never could play more than a few minutes at a time but he maximized his potential and I give him a ton of credit for it, especially considering he played 4 years with a guy who at the same position clearly outclassed him in basketball skills yet Heinrich was starting over him by the end of his career.

Heinrich was a stiff his first year. A big rocking chair could have done the smae things he did on the court. I thought this was once again some huge Spoon recruiting debacle. Baniak showed some real flashes of good defense and scoring his first year which made Heinrich look worse.

From that point on Heinrich outshone Baniak. Baniak had much more talent but Heinrich plain worked harder. He was a top post defender by his Jr year. He just would plain shutdown the best 4s and 5s we faced. BY his Sr year he had become a guy who couldn't walk and chew gum to a serviceable post up option on offense. He had a few good moves. He was still slow as hell and never could play more than a few minutes at a time but he maximized his potential and I give him a ton of credit for it, especially considering he played 4 years with a guy who at the same position clearly outclassed him in basketball skills yet Heinrich was starting over him by the end of his career.

-like all slu players we hoped for more but there were many, many slu teams since his leaving we would have taken chris heinrich on in a minute

-like all slu players we hoped for more but there were many, many slu teams since his leaving we would have taken chris heinrich on in a minute

Heinrich was fun to watch. His most memorable move was not legal-he clotheslined a guard shooting up the sideline for an easy layup. Sure the guy got to shoot foul shots but you better believe no one would try and get through him again.

If Heinrich had a lot more speed I would like to see him matched against Bonner or better yet if we could have had Heinrich at the 5 and Bonner at the 4

I like Chris as much as the next person, however, a couple things that stand out the most when I think of him are:

1) Grinding with 18 year olds on Laclede's dancefloor as a senior

2) Getting stuffed by the rim at Kemper against KU on a critical play

With all due respect though, he did play his heart out and seemed like a good guy.

- Crazy Joe