Majerus Article

RB2.0

Anyone else see the nice article on Rick Majerus in the Chicago Tribune either yesterday or the day before? If I can find the web link I will post it but I saw it in the print version.

Great article on Majerus passion and his hopes for the SLU program. Mentions the Cheifitz Arena, the young players, and lack of senior players. The article also rips the decision to join the A-10, saying it has left us "isolated with no natural or geographical rival."

Its good to see the SLU program get this kind of positive pub in Chicago....which apparently they don't get locally.

Anyone else see the nice article on Rick Majerus in the Chicago Tribune either yesterday or the day before? If I can find the web link I will post it but I saw it in the print version.

Great article on Majerus passion and his hopes for the SLU program. Mentions the Cheifitz Arena, the young players, and lack of senior players. The article also rips the decision to join the A-10, saying it has left us "isolated with no natural or geographical rival."

Its good to see the SLU program get this kind of positive pub in Chicago....which apparently they don't get locally.

Here we go. Found it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/colle...0,4464753.story

The article also rips the decision to join the A-10, saying it has left us "isolated with no natural or geographical rival."

This statement is, of course, grossly inaccurate. The exact quote from the article is as follows:

"The Billikens play in the Atlantic 10 Conference, which leaves them isolated in the Midwest with no natural or geographic rivals."

The quote is a statement of fact from the writer and not attributed to Majerus or anyone else -- and clearly "rips" no one and nothing.

On another topic, I was surprised to see that Majerus is apparently living in a hotel. I'm assuming it's the Chase, despite the "posh downtown" description, as that's the only city hotel I can think of besides the Renaissance that has three restaurants.

This statement is, of course, grossly inaccurate. The exact quote from the article is as follows:

"The Billikens play in the Atlantic 10 Conference, which leaves them isolated in the Midwest with no natural or geographic rivals."

The quote is a statement of fact from the writer and not attributed to Majerus or anyone else -- and clearly "rips" no one and nothing.

On another topic, I was surprised to see that Majerus is apparently living in a hotel. I'm assuming it's the Chase, despite the "posh downtown" description, as that's the only city hotel I can think of besides the Renaissance that has three restaurants.

I guess the MAC could be considered as having guest rooms and multiple restaurants, but like you said, I'm sure the article is referring to the Chase.

It was not a reflection on Majerus, it was a reflection on the difficulty for Majerus to make the program work despite being geographically and naturally isolated. Majerus walked into this problem, it wasn't his doing, but now it is his challenge to overcome

It was not a reflection on Majerus, it was a reflection on the difficulty for Majerus to make the program work despite being geographically and naturally isolated. Majerus walked into this problem, it wasn't his doing, but now it is his challenge to overcome

and you think Notre Dame, or Marquette or not isolated? The travel to the East Coast is just as tough for those teams as SLU

and you think Notre Dame, or Marquette or not isolated? The travel to the East Coast is just as tough for those teams as SLU

I always thought it was worst in CUSA. Both East Carolina and So Miss have no nearby major airport. I think RM complaint is that the Philly schools have the advantage of being close by. A away game for Temple, St J's and LaSalle between them is a 20 minute bus ride across town.

It's not apples to apples, but it's worth noting that both of those schools are top 25 caliber teams or better this year, and Marquette has not finished worse than 5th out of 16 since joining the Big East.

The issue isn't geographic isolation for SLU. It has been a lack of commitment for a very long time to a winning basketball program.

It's not apples to apples, but it's worth noting that both of those schools are top 25 caliber teams or better this year, and Marquette has not finished worse than 5th out of 16 since joining the Big East.

The issue isn't geographic isolation for SLU. It has been a lack of commitment for a very long time to a winning basketball program.

I agree. You cannot compare the two. Marquette proved itself, won, and has moved up rightfully so. I wish they would have stayed in our conference as we had a mini rivalary with them but you can't fault them for making the move they did. Its slightly different sacraficing geographic isolation for the Big East then the A-10.

It seems as though the Administration has a new found dedication to the basketball program which hopefully the team and RM builds off of.

Disagree, geography is a huge issue. HUGE.

There will be exceptions like ND, Marquette that thrive even in a non geographic situation.

BUT most great rivalries (NC-Duke, etc, etc, etc.) are geographic and usually within the conference.

MVC would have been best for us now, too late, stuck in A-10. Deal with it, boneheaded decision.

Some continue to pray for super conference some day with ND, Marq, Xavier, DePaul, Dayton, SLU, etc. LOL.

There will be exceptions like ND, Marquette that thrive even in a non geographic situation.

BUT most great rivalries (NC-Duke, etc, etc, etc.) are geographic and usually within the conference.

MVC would have been best for us now, too late, stuck in A-10. Deal with it, boneheaded decision.

Some continue to pray for super conference some day with ND, Marq, Xavier, DePaul, Dayton, SLU, etc. LOL.

If we wanted to move to the MVC we could join that conference tomorrow. It wasn't the best choice for us then and it is still not the best choice for us. We have nothing in common with any of the MVC schools except one. It was a bad conference for us in the sixties and the early 70's. Just as the Metro was after that. We should have been an independent in those days developing relationships with Notre Dame, Marquette, DePaul, Dayton and the other Catholic independents across the country.

IF SLU had a commitment to winning hoops in its recent and distant past, SLU would not be in its current state today. That supercedes any after effects of geography issues.

IF SLU had a commitment to winning hoops in its recent and distant past, SLU would not be in its current state today. That supercedes any after effects of geography issues.

about 7,000 of us just about doubled what we were spending between Billiken Club and season tickets, the school built almost $90,000,000 worth and spent about 4 times what they were doing for coaching staff with Soderberg or double what Spoon's entire staff took in. Spoon felt like doing the restaurant and TV show gigs for extra pocket change and RM studies basketball and recruits full time.

RM also trains in the pool, locally about 4-6 days a week, so I think he has a health plan for himself as well so don't bother posting those personal issues.

I'd say wait until year 4 and tell me if you could think of anyone who could have brought us further, faster

while i wont debate the word "committment", i do want to clarify that slu isnt just the terrible program you let your words insinuate. in the last 20 years slu has only been under 500 five times ( once with grawer, 3 times with spoon and once with soderberg). during that same 20 year span, marquette has been under 500 four times.

while i wont debate the word "committment", i do want to clarify that slu isnt just the terrible program you let your words insinuate. in the last 20 years slu has only been under 500 five times ( once with grawer, 3 times with spoon and once with soderberg). during that same 20 year span, marquette has been under 500 four times.

Aw, come on. Talk about lying with statistics! ! Hey, SLU is OK, but do not compare us to Marquette. They have made it to the "big time", we have not.