Reasoning

TreyT3

Anybody who watched the game against Depaul have any idea why our 6 10 260 lbs center only played 8 minutes against guys his size? I know Im his brother but to me that makes absolutely no sense...he needs to develop and playing only 8 minutes a game isnt going to help. I understand in certain games he sits when he cant match up but in this one I dont get it...Hes by far the best post defender on the team. Anyone else have something to add?

Anybody who watched the game against Depaul have any idea why our 6 10 260 lbs center only played 8 minutes against guys his size? I know Im his brother but to me that makes absolutely no sense...he needs to develop and playing only 8 minutes a game isnt going to help. I understand in certain games he sits when he cant match up but in this one I dont get it...Hes by far the best post defender on the team. Anyone else have something to add?

I can't provide any reasoning, but I recommend you and Brett hang in there. He's probably getting more playing time than Ian Vouyoukas got as a freshman, and look how he turned out. I have high hopes for Brett, but he's just a freshman. He might need to lose a little weight, too.

I hope your brother becomes one of the all time Billiken greats, but you know that it is dangerous for any of us to answer your rhetorical question. I will say that after looking at the paper this morning that no rebounds in eight minutes might provide part of the answer. However, none of us are that coaching staff, nor were we at the game.

I am no expert, but from my observations at the home games it seems to me that Brett gets winded quickly. Conditioning may be part of the reason.

I enjoy watching him when he is in the game. He continues to improve and we will need him to step up when we get into the A10 play.

The only thing I can add is this......

THis could turn into a really awkward situation for both yourself and Brett. Family members posting on message boards is a bad idea.

The only thing I can add is this......

THis could turn into a really awkward situation for both yourself and Brett. Family members posting on message boards is a bad idea.

Agreed. While I think the majority of people on this board are very excited about your brother's future with this team and are nothing but happy that he has joined the team, there will be times when his play will get criticized in some fashion and that can be difficult for a family member to take. I think this is actually one of the more gentle message boards that you'll find, but some frustrations will be shown on this board regardless of whether it is warranted or not.

That being said, we have had family members on here in the past and some of them have been very good contributors. Some of them have also been willing to have open discussions about the play of their sons or brothers without letting their personal connections interfere. However, I can see where that would be very difficult. Personally, I get really upset when people rip KShoe for his lack of rebounding in the Clayton Adult Recreational Leagues.

As a father of a former college bb player, I can understand a family wanting to have a son or brother play more. But in building a team a coach needs to have everyone involved be patient and supportive. I like Brett an I am sure he will develop into a nice player for the Bills. He is still only a few games into his college career. I know it will be difficult but patience is the key. It might be difficult for any family member to read some of the idiots on this board. Most will be fair but some will post things just to aggravate you. I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday after Brett gets back from Vegas. Hang in there!

I know Im his brother but to me that makes absolutely no sense...he needs to develop and playing only 8 minutes a game isnt going to help.

I have something to add: if every player played as much as they wanted, basketball would have to be 10 on 10 and the games 60 minutes long. 33-38 minutes/game is available at UMSL, Quincy, or Frontenac-Fontbonne.

Brett will be a real nice player in due time. He needs to perfect some consistent offensive moves against players his size, and he needs to add strength and speed. He will have plenty of playing time at Saint Louis University before long. Be patient.

Brett will be a real nice player in due time. He needs to perfect some consistent offensive moves against players his size, and he needs to add strength and speed. He will have plenty of playing time at Saint Louis University before long. Be patient.

We have had a few sets where BT played with either Conklin or WR and BT looked really good. I doubt WR will ever put on much weight and I doubt that Conklin will get taller; it is up to BT to improve his footwork, speed, agility, rebounding, awareness of where the ball is and predictability of where it

will be coming. He and Conklin play well and BT makes WR play better doing the things WR can't do. He is going to get more playing time but he ought to be practicing and running whenever possible. He has a lot of upside but if we are going to win games there are times when Conklin, or WR or BT will not play because of matchups. BT needs to outwork these other guys. He needs to play with more confidence and know he can rely on himself; he has absolutely been too cautious and yet all of us see him as a player that can bring us to a new level. No coach is keeping him out of games. He would not be getting more time at any D1 team with the level of competition we face untl he is ready.

-i really like brett's potential as he has showed flashes of doing things in games that if he progresses he will be a force

-hope it doesn't take too much time, but i think he will get there

-hang in there with a coach who knows how to develop bigs

-be careful what you read hear, sometimes it will not be fit for a family member

-i like the change of pace that we have with willie and brett, and hope to see them both on the floor at the same time when that is right

Not to be disrespectful to anyone who posted but Im not sure any of you answered my question. I already know why hes getting less minutes each game...most of the people hes been playing against are too fast and too athletic for him to gaurd. We all know Bretts too slow, not in good enough shape, and not athletic enough. My question was this, of those of you who watched the Depaul game, why didnt Brett get more than 8 min against 3 guys 6 10 260 and better. Barry and Conk cant gaurd guys like that because they have four inches on them. Willie cant gaurd them because they out weigh him by about 40 to 50 lbs. So people who watched the game, what did you see out of Brett or the other post players that warrented him getting 8 and them getting 20-30? I know thats about what Willie and Conk got not sure how many min Barry got though. I guess unless the answer is hes too slow and out of shape but that still, to me, doesnt explain only 8 min. Look at all the other games SLUs played against guys Bretts size and hes gotten much much more playing time. Also to me, hes been looking better each game. He needs to build confidence in himself. I think playing him in a game where he could have gotten more playing time and contributed to the team in a positive way only 8 minutes does nothing for him but hurt his confidence.

Not to be disrespectful to anyone who posted but Im not sure any of you answered my question. I already know why hes getting less minutes each game...most of the people hes been playing against are too fast and too athletic for him to gaurd. We all know Bretts too slow, not in good enough shape, and not athletic enough. My question was this, of those of you who watched the Depaul game, why didnt Brett get more than 8 min against 3 guys 6 10 260 and better. Barry and Conk cant gaurd guys like that because they have four inches on them. Willie cant gaurd them because they out weigh him by about 40 to 50 lbs. So people who watched the game, what did you see out of Brett or the other post players that warrented him getting 8 and them getting 20-30? I know thats about what Willie and Conk got not sure how many min Barry got though. I guess unless the answer is hes too slow and out of shape but that still, to me, doesnt explain only 8 min. Look at all the other games SLUs played against guys Bretts size and hes gotten much much more playing time. Also to me, hes been looking better each game. He needs to build confidence in himself. I think playing him in a game where he could have gotten more playing time and contributed to the team in a positive way only 8 minutes does nothing for him but hurt his confidence.

Brett's bro, Why concentrate on this one game, when there are several games to be played. The coach visualizes the whole season with a game when he utilizes players, he experiments on the proper combos as the season progresses. He may also be thinking about the conditioning and health of the players at the specific point of time.

College Basketball is not one game deal. The key is patience and looking into the future. Believe me that Brett would be a foundation of this future team.

You might want to spend more time in the classroom learning to spell and leave the coaching decisions to Mr. Majerus

It is probably a good idea to lock this thread. I never post that, but I don't like where this may head.

When we start locking threads because someone might say something that will hurt a players brothers feelings ... it's time to go.

Trey asked a question and having read his posts, I don't think he expects anyone to tiptoe around the answer to his question. He also seems mature enough to ignore the idiots that are just going to post stupid crap ... or he will just give them crap back like everyone else does. The fact is Trey none of us know what happens behind the closed door practice to know why Brett didn't play more when the matchups seemed favorable. We really just have to trust that RM has a reason. He has enough past success with big men that if it was my brother or my son, I'd trust that he knows what he is doing and will help make him the best player he can be. Even when something happens that at face value doesn't seem to make sense. Maybe he saw something from Brett when he was in that he didn't like or that Brett was doing wrong that led him to believe he wasn't going to have success.

When we start locking threads because someone might say something that will hurt a players brothers feelings ... it's time to go.

Trey asked a question and having read his posts, I don't think he expects anyone to tiptoe around the answer to his question. He also seems mature enough to ignore the idiots that are just going to post stupid crap ... or he will just give them crap back like everyone else does. The fact is Trey none of us know what happens behind the closed door practice to know why Brett didn't play more when the matchups seemed favorable. We really just have to trust that RM has a reason. He has enough past success with big men that if it was my brother or my son, I'd trust that he knows what he is doing and will help make him the best player he can be. Even when something happens that at face value doesn't seem to make sense. Maybe he saw something from Brett when he was in that he didn't like or that Brett was doing wrong that led him to believe he wasn't going to have success.

Does anyone think that the Tommie's dad thread worked out well last year? We sure don't hear much from TDell or even Jale anymore. I don't know about anyone else, but I really miss both of them on here.....especailly Jale. It cost us some good contributors on here.

It sounds all good to let it go on in principal, but this is the kind of thread that emotions can take over quickly.

I dont understand how I could make this any clearer. Im not complaining about Bretts playing time. Im not questioning RM. I dont want to know about the big picture. Im asking anyone who watched this one game, Depaul, if there was anything anyone saw specific to that one game that caused Brett to get only 8 min. If you look back at the way RM used Brett in the past its been very little minutes against the smaller athletic guys and a bit more against the bigger guys. I now know the answer to my question by talking to my brother some more about the game. Their big guy was not only Bretts size but also very quick and athletic...thats all I needed to hear. Also I really dont mind the posters who get on and just talk ######. All it really does is show their stupidity. Im intellegent enough to know Bretts not the best frosh on the team. Right now you could even say hes the worst. Playing at Vienna really put him behind everyone else both athletically and skill wise but hes got the potential to be great. I know RM is the best big man coach in the nation. I know he knows what hes doing. I had no idea my thread would get out of hand like this...lol crazy people

I dont understand how I could make this any clearer. Im not complaining about Bretts playing time. Im not questioning RM. I dont want to know about the big picture. Im asking anyone who watched this one game, Depaul, if there was anything anyone saw specific to that one game that caused Brett to get only 8 min. If you look back at the way RM used Brett in the past its been very little minutes against the smaller athletic guys and a bit more against the bigger guys. I now know the answer to my question by talking to my brother some more about the game. Their big guy was not only Bretts size but also very quick and athletic...thats all I needed to hear. Also I really dont mind the posters who get on and just talk ######. All it really does is show their stupidity. Im intellegent enough to know Bretts not the best frosh on the team. Right now you could even say hes the worst. Playing at Vienna really put him behind everyone else both athletically and skill wise but hes got the potential to be great. I know RM is the best big man coach in the nation. I know he knows what hes doing. I had no idea my thread would get out of hand like this...lol crazy people

Thanks for the patience and sound reasoning. Most of the posters care about our players as student/athletes, not just basketball mutants. I, and almost all of the other posters, hope your brother remains positive, upbeat and hardworking. This will be good for the team and terrific for him.

Merry Christmas

Thanks for the patience and sound reasoning. Most of the posters care about our players as student/athletes, not just basketball mutants. I, and almost all of the other posters, hope your brother remains positive, upbeat and hardworking. This will be good for the team and terrific for him.

Merry Christmas

Yeah hes fine. A little disappointed about the minutes, but what basketball player who loves the game wouldnt be. Thanks for mentioning the student part of the equation. How easily we all forget the amazing education these kids are getting...for free. No way our family could come close to affording the tuition at SLU. Hell be getting the best education by far out of everyone in our entire family. Hes a lucky kid for getting this talent and body given to him. Hopefully he uses it to finish school and get a good job.