Tip Off Club Meeting Re-Cap

Tip Off Club

Here's a quick recap of tonight's Tip Off Club Meeting...

Anne Cordes touched on the recent success of the women's volleyball program. Finished the year with a program best 29-5 record. They have all but 1 starter back next year. She's excited about the recruits coming in. Schedule next year will test them. They play Penn St early on which has yet to lose a game this year.

Honey Brown an assistant on the Women's Basketball team spoke for just a few minutes. Shimmy is on a recruiting trip. They're excited about their class coming in next year. Don't forget the double header (men's / women's game) on Dec 30th. Women play #5 Oklahoma at 5:30. Men play at 8.

Easy Ed was our next guest. Ed did a fantastic job. Commented on his playing career both at SLU and in the NBA. Mentioned that when they won the NIT in '48 they came home to a crowd of 15,000 celebrating their victory in Madison Square Gardens. Ed believes SLU has taken the 2 most important steps to get the program moving in the right direction. #1 they built the new arena. #2 they brought in a great coach. Ed also echoed Majerus's comments that it's going to be tough at times playing with so many freshman and so many fresh/soph next year.

Matt Gordon is the Director of Operations for the Men's Basketball staff. Matt came from the Memphis Grizzlies and showed everyone how him and the coaching staff use the new video technology inside Chaifetz (the XOS Video Editing System) to prepare and breakdown games. The system costs $400,000! Matt brought in a backdrop and laptop and showed actual footage from the Savannah St. game and what they look for.

Coach Majerus surprised us at the end and took questions for 30 minutes or so. All other coaches are out recruiting. Porter is in KC, the other's are in Illinois. Someone was in Chicago. Rick made the comment that they're always looking for more players. He's excited about all recruits coming in next year. Sounds like this class and next years will really complement each other. Still wants a back up point guard. He mentioned they are asking too much of Mitchell right now but no one else can handle the role. Tommy is his only 3 that can rebound and he wants Kevin to just shoot.

Next meeting should be January 20th at Lorenzini's. Any suggestions for guests?? Any comments from this evening's event?

Tip Off Club

No comment on Rick's show. Would have been a good question

Thanks for bringing up the question on an "Australian Big"....I left out a piece about this evening....Janet Oberle our assistant AD of Compliance was there and spoke for about 5 minutes. It is illegal to comment on any athlete who has not signed a Letter of Intent.

I understand it it illegal for a coach to name names, but most coaches will say things like we have a recruit coming in this weekend or we're recruiting in Kansas City or Chicago, like the comments that were apparently made tonight. Often based on those comments, you can put two and two together. Thanks for the report.

Now if we could just get ***** Galore as one of the other assistants, we'd have a trifecta. :rolleyes:

Bonwich I was thinking the same thing sounds like a Bond girl or a Pam Grier movie.

It'd be fun to go and have dinner with Easy Ed and Coach Majerus.

I went to my first BC meeting last night and figured I'd give some info, as I did not see many of the board regulars there.

Last night's speakers included the women's volleyball coach, Anne Kordes, who talked a little about scheduling and recruiting. She made the point that having a tough schedule is very important in recruiting and in trying to be competitive, has created a very difficult schedule. They play a big home game next year vs. Penn State, who I guess is the #1 team in the country right now. She's also pretty hot.

Other speakers included the women's assistant, Honey Brown, the men's video editor and director of basketball ops, Matt Gordon, and Easy Ed. Easy E was pretty amusing and he talked a lot about Rick and where he thinks the state of program is. In summary, he's very excited and thinks the program is on the up and up.

In a surprise visit, Rick came by and took questions for a while. He spoke at great lengths about the young guys this year and his expectations for them in the future. He obviously likes Kyle a lot and believes he's got a guy who "understands" the game, could be a great passer, etc. Of the other frosh, he's big on Reed's upside, Conklin's toughness, Mitchell's talent and quickness (although he admits that Mitchell's in overdrive right now), and Brett's potential.

Majerus also mentioned that he is not near finishing recruiting and that no matter what, you never really are. Each Assistant was out recruiting last night and he mentioned guys in Illinois, KC, and I forget where the other was. There were really no specifics given on who he was looking at or what class they might be in.

Lastly, much to willie's chagrin, he does not foul with ten seconds left and up 3. He believes that too many things can go wrong.

I went to my first BC meeting last night and figured I'd give some info, as I did not see many of the board regulars there.

Last night's speakers included the women's volleyball coach, Anne Kordes, who talked a little about scheduling and recruiting. She made the point that having a tough schedule is very important in recruiting and in trying to be competitive, has created a very difficult schedule. They play a big home game next year vs. Penn State, who I guess is the #1 team in the country right now. She's also pretty hot.

Other speakers included the women's assistant, Honey Brown, the men's video editor and director of basketball ops, Matt Gordon, and Easy Ed. Easy E was pretty amusing and he talked a lot about Rick and where he thinks the state of program is. In summary, he's very excited and thinks the program is on the up and up.

In a surprise visit, Rick came by and took questions for a while. He spoke at great lengths about the young guys this year and his expectations for them in the future. He obviously likes Kyle a lot and believes he's got a guy who "understands" the game, could be a great passer, etc. Of the other frosh, he's big on Reed's upside, Conklin's toughness, Mitchell's talent and quickness (although he admits that Mitchell's in overdrive right now), and Brett's potential.

Majerus also mentioned that he is not near finishing recruiting and that no matter what, you never really are. Each Assistant was out recruiting last night and he mentioned guys in Illinois, KC, and I forget where the other was. There were really no specifics given on who he was looking at or what class they might be in.

Lastly, much to willie's chagrin, he does not foul with ten seconds left and up 3. He believes that too many things can go wrong.

RM also said that Femi John was being red shirted so he learn the style of play they want from him. He said that Femi would probably never be a very good shooter and that he has to willing to accept the role of slashing, rebounding, and playing tough defense on the other team's 3. He said that if Femi is unwilling - he is not saying that Femi is not wanting to learn his role - then he will have to go else where. I found this comment of some interest.

RM also said that Femi John was being red shirted so he learn the style of play they want from him. He said that Femi would probably never be a very good shooter and that he has to willing to accept the role of slashing, rebounding, and playing tough defense on the other team's 3. He said that if Femi is unwilling - he is not saying that Femi is not wanting to learn his role - then he will have to go else where. I found this comment of some interest.

I miss Warren Zevon:

Hit somebody! was what the crowd roared

When Femi the goon came over the boards

"Coach," he'd say, "I wanna score goals"

The coach said, "Femi, remember your role

The talented guys get paid, they shoot, they score

Protect them, Femi, that's what you're here for

Protection is what you're here for

Protection--it's the stars that score

Protection--kick somebody's ass

Protection--don't put the rock in the basket just

Hit somebody!

With a few minor changes as the original song is for hockey (couldn't think of a basketball term rhyming with roared)

interesting. "probably never be a very good shooter and that he has to be willing to accept the role of slashing, rebounding, and playing tough defense on the other team's 3". sounds like a description of anthony mitchell who would have run through a wall of fire for rickma and he still had to go elsewhere.

interesting. "probably never be a very good shooter and that he has to be willing to accept the role of slashing, rebounding, and playing tough defense on the other team's 3". sounds like a description of anthony mitchell who would have run through a wall of fire for rickma and he still had to go elsewhere.

if Femi did stay or go elsewhere that would mean RM is very open with his assessments and kids who are old enough to die for their country can make their own decisions with RM. It also means RM is willing to try and coach some, not all of these kids to play in his basketball scheme.

I'd rather try for a coach who could tell me what my chances were than some of the coaches we had in the past who had trouble figuring out how to get

their players to adapt or play as a team.

My wife and I are avid fans but have never coached but we think we see a difference in this year's team's ability to play together. Some players-llike TL with KL or Conklin with BT, or TL with Willie have an intuition for what the other guy is going to do and sometimes a lot of practice together can bring it.

Our take on it is the Billikens are getting better as a team

I have heard coach describe both players on multiple occassions, and I don't think he views them as being simillar.

I have heard coach describe both players on multiple occassions, and I don't think he views them as being simillar.

i agree i think mitchell was better. but they are very similar player styles, strengths and weaknesses.

Guest BillikenReport

i agree i think mitchell was better.

What makes you think that, other than you don't watch Missouri high school basketball?

College coaches would disagree with you, especially considering John had several offers when he signed in the fall of his senior year of high school, while Mitchell was lightly recruited in the spring of his senior year of high school.

What makes you think that, other than you don't watch Missouri high school basketball?

College coaches would disagree with you, especially considering John had several offers when he signed in the fall of his senior year of high school, while Mitchell was lightly recruited in the spring of his senior year of high school.

when i watched femi in the umsl game their style and look was almost identical only i thought that mitchell would have been a better defender from what i saw that game.

Guest BillikenReport

when i watched femi in the umsl game their style and look was almost identical only i thought that mitchell would have been a better defender from what i saw that game.

Very similar body types and some similar skills. John was the more productive high school player and came from a program that won state and finished second in back-to-back seasons.

The biggest difference is Majerus inherited one player and recruited the other. My guess is if Majerus could have done things differently, he would have redshirted Mitchell last year — that way he could have saved the kid a year of eligibility if Mitchell elected to transfer somewhere else. From what I heard, Mitchell performed very well early in the preseason but kind of tailed off from there.

The biggest factor working against Mitchell was probably that John was coming in right behind him. I know the coaching staff has been careful about recruiting kids that they feel like can't shoot the ball well from the perimeter. I think that's the reason that they have recruited certain kids (Salecich, Reid) and their interest in other players they were recruiting dropped off (Cowels, Lee).

I can understand that line of thinking. I do think a player like John adds something to the roster, but if you have similarly-skilled players who shoot the ball better than he does from the outside, you're probably going to play those guys instead.

Guest BillikenReport

Any mention of the Australian big guy who was supposed to be taking a visit to SLU this month?

There's a video interview, with highlights, of the kid on the premium message board on my site.

Oh, I totally forgot, I was in the gondola at Breck last weekend w/ some Cougars from Kansas (nice ring to it, eh?) and when I mentioned that I was from STL, they of course asked, "Wash U?"

To which I replied, "No, despite the notable proboscis, I went to SLU, homegurlz."

Then, one of them started snapping her fingers and going "ooh, ooh, ooh" (my pants were still on, that's just how old broads try to remember stuff). She finally said, "That Reid boy is going to SLU, I think. They won state last year, he is sumpthin else, I tell ya!"

"He's pretty good, eh?" I inquired.

"Oh, yes," she responded. "He just shoots it from soooo far away and it always goes in."

"Right on, we could use a guy like that." Then I stood up, saluted, forced the retractable doors open and plummeted 40 feet face first onto the ice below*.

* Parts of this story were fictionalized for entertainment value.

Oh, I totally forgot, I was in the gondola at Breck last weekend w/ some Cougars from Kansas (nice ring to it, eh?) and when I mentioned that I was from STL, they of course asked, "Wash U?"

To which I replied, "No, despite the notable proboscis, I went to SLU, homegurlz."

Then, one of them started snapping her fingers and going "ooh, ooh, ooh" (my pants were still on, that's just how old broads try to remember stuff). She finally said, "That Reid boy is going to SLU, I think. They won state last year, he is sumpthin else, I tell ya!"

"He's pretty good, eh?" I inquired.

"Oh, yes," she responded. "He just shoots it from soooo far away and it always goes in."

"Right on, we could use a guy like that." Then I stood up, saluted, forced the retractable doors open and plummeted 40 feet face first onto the ice below*.

* Parts of this story were fictionalized for entertainment value.

This may be your best post ever! :)