OT: Lacledes R.I.P

Amy way we can bring back 20 North :)

it appears lofts buildings are going in at the old plastic aerosol nozzle and Rafie's (sp?) company buildings by what must be a library for Theology

one block South of Humphries. Good walking distance to live off campus

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Ressurection of an old topic. At first I found this hard to believe considering the other JJ right around the corner. But it's a relocation. http://nextstl.com/historic-preservation/demolition-so-fast-you-ll-freak-st-louis-style

This is the best thread this year. Waiting for the Hitler rant to top it off.

reading the sex stories from this thread is very funny. props to those who came before me who helped lay the foundation for what the grind factory is today.

reading the sex stories from this thread is very funny. props to those who came before me who helped lay the foundation for what the grind factory is today.

+1. The old grindhouse is a legend.

I hate the idea that this is gonna become a jimmy johns. i want someone to invest and make this a bar again soo bad.

Guest BillsBillsBills

It cant become a JJ's franchise. There is one within a mile to the east and the west. It would break the franchising rules. So don't worry. The grind factory isnt going anywhere.

Drunk chicks FTW

It cant become a JJ's franchise. There is one within a mile to the east and the west. It would break the franchising rules. So don't worry. The grind factory isnt going anywhere.

Drunk chicks FTW

You weren't reading the thread. Jimmy John's would relocate into a free-standing building with a drive-through.

This is very real, and very disappointing, although having watched Vandeventer get nuked for the "sculpture garden," I can't say it's very surprising.

You weren't reading the thread. Jimmy John's would relocate into a free-standing building with a drive-through.

This is very real, and very disappointing, although having watched Vandeventer get nuked for the "sculpture garden," I can't say it's very surprising.

It seems that once you get west of Bannister House, SLU just stops caring about things.

I don't want to sound like I don't care about historic preservation but I have a hard time questioning SLU's moves or motivations. For 14 years twice daily I've driven Vandeventer to Lindell from Highway 44. For many of those years there were derelict factory buildings and general nastiness along that route. Now it looks like a really, really, nice place to go to school.

In Midtown as well as Downtown, historical preservation has to be balanced with the owner's rights to do with a building as he or she pleases. A boarded up historic building is as much a blight and an eyesore as a boarded up modern building.....

If only they really had killed Laclede's back then, the "situation" would have never happened. :(

If your really think about it, though, the situation might have actually been advantageous. From reports of what a ######up Willie was, he wasn't going to play anyways. Jon Smif and Carlton were on their way out, too. KM basically got some hot trim, shared her with some teammates as a going away gift, and got an extra year of eligibility, practice-wise. Now we'll finally have a team w/ some class balance that has a ###### ton of experience.

None of what happened negates the fact that John Cook and the girl were and are sockcuckers, but I'm looking at the situation now with fondness. KM comes back for two more years with tons of extra HATE in his heart.

HATE HATE HATE.

I don't want to sound like I don't care about historic preservation but I have a hard time questioning SLU's moves or motivations. For 14 years twice daily I've driven Vandeventer to Lindell from Highway 44. For many of those years there were derelict factory buildings and general nastiness along that route. Now it looks like a really, really, nice place to go to school.

In Midtown as well as Downtown, historical preservation has to be balanced with the owner's rights to do with a building as he or she pleases. A boarded up historic building is as much a blight and an eyesore as a boarded up modern building.....

I don't disagree with that (The Fifth House is still boarded up 35 years later, isnt' it?) as much as I disagree with, in this specific case, what's proposed to go in there. Laclede ain't even a through street any more -- I'm kinda surprised, with all the zoning weirdness the City already has, that it would allow a drive-through on a side street.

I also think the existing Jimmy John's was a decent adaptive reuse that helped spur Six Row and the place across Lindell by proving that students would actually walk over there. (I see their issue about parking and a drive-through, however.)

I don't disagree with that (The Fifth House is still boarded up 35 years later, isnt' it?) as much as I disagree with, in this specific case, what's proposed to go in there. Laclede ain't even a through street any more -- I'm kinda surprised, with all the zoning weirdness the City already has, that it would allow a drive-through on a side street.

I also think the existing Jimmy John's was a decent adaptive reuse that helped spur Six Row and the place across Lindell by proving that students would actually walk over there. (I see their issue about parking and a drive-through, however.)

The old Fat Freddie's building was a total dump last time I was in there...when they were open in 2004 or 05 for a few months only on the weekends.

When Jimmy Johns first opened in that spot, they were robbed twice weekly for awhile. Is that still going on?

The old Fat Freddie's building was a total dump last time I was in there...when they were open in 2004 or 05 for a few months only on the weekends.

When Jimmy Johns first opened in that spot, they were robbed twice weekly for awhile. Is that still going on?

When I was working at Humps on the weekends back in 07, a few of my fellow bartenders/bouncers went in there. It was like going through a salvage lot. I found a Laclede Gas bill for $650.00 left under the door. Took it with me and had it framed. It's my lasting memory of a great bar.

Well if this is really happening then I promise all of you that as a self respecting SLU student who will be done and graduated with my last final on Thursday that I will do my absolute best to close down Lacledes in style. To honor the closing I will be as unclassy, disrespectful, and trashy as possible.

To add to the nostalgia I will just say that my favorite Lacledes memory was walking towards the mens room only to hear that two people (one male/one female) and there were shouts and groans coming from the stall. Good times...

Well if this is really happening then I promise all of you that as a self respecting SLU student who will be done and graduated with my last final on Thursday that I will do my absolute best to close down Lacledes in style. To honor the closing I will be as unclassy, disrespectful, and trashy as possible.

To add to the nostalgia I will just say that my favorite Lacledes memory was walking towards the mens room only to hear that two people (one male/one female) and there were shouts and groans coming from the stall. Good times...

This is a 4 year old thread about Lacledes being torn down to build some apartments or something, updated recently because they are tearing down ###### old buildings for a Jimmy Johns. Don't worry, there will be plenty of time to rise and grind at Lacledes.

Try your best to get thrown out though, always a good time at that shithole.

When I was working at Humps on the weekends back in 07, a few of my fellow bartenders/bouncers went in there. It was like going through a salvage lot. I found a Laclede Gas bill for $650.00 left under the door. Took it with me and had it framed. It's my lasting memory of a great bar.

That useless & random piece of knowledge reminds me of Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."

Patrick

That useless & random piece of knowledge reminds me of Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."

Patrick

You remind me of my favorite bumper sticker:

Posted Image

Laclede's is the reason for my lowest GPA ever. When I would walk back to THE HOUSE I'd always see people through those large windows motioning me in for the buy one get one happy hour special that was every single day. How could I pass that up? Those sirens drew me in everytime and I would end up with some durty A D Pi. Leave the front door and you can be knockin' boots at THE HOUSE or in the Village Apartments in about 3 minutes.