OT: Lacledes R.I.P

It's ridiculous - there are vacant lots all over the place, including ON campus, and we're tearing down viable buildings.

SLU's policy on preserving buildings is deplorable.

I wish it were easier to boot Forest Pharmaceuticals from that prime spot on campus. That's a good size of land that could be used for any number of things. I have no idea if this has ever come up in discussions between the administration and the company, just something I've thought.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish it were easier to boot Forest Pharmaceuticals from that prime spot on campus. That's a good size of land that could be used for any number of things. I have no idea if this has ever come up in discussions between the administration and the company, just something I've thought.

SLU actually bought and rehabbed the Forest building, shockingly enough.

Posted Image

SLU actually bought and rehabbed the Forest building, shockingly enough.

No way! What are they using it for now? Wow, I need to get back to campus more- although I drove down Laclede 2 weeks ago and didn't even notice.

Box, I know you're into building preservation but that Forest one probably could have been torn down. It looks terrible. I've never seen the inside, but that's an eyesore, even with the SLU logo at the top.

No way! What are they using it for now? Wow, I need to get back to campus more- although I drove down Laclede 2 weeks ago and didn't even notice.

Box, I know you're into building preservation but that Forest one probably could have been torn down. It looks terrible. I've never seen the inside, but that's an eyesore, even with the SLU logo at the top.

I know they built quite a few new classrooms in that building from what I saw from the street. If anyone else knows more, feel free.

I probably would have been okay with them tearing down the Forest building, even though I really like art deco. Provided that they actually were to build something good in its place.

That's what really irritates me, that when SLU tears down buildings, most of the time nothing seems to go up in their place.

They tore down a beautiful mini-mansion on Lindell, which is now a gravel lot. Hopefully the law school expansion will happen at some point, so that the demolition actually will have served a purpose.

They tore down the awesome livery stables building on Locust, which is slowly becoming a really happening area, in favor of a parking lot.

They tore down an incredible mansion at Lindell and Spring for a parking lot.

They tore down the State Apartments for a ridiculous swimming pool.

They tore down the Olympia Apartments at West Pine and Vandeventer for...nothing.

They tore down the Marina Building at Grand and Lindell for...nothing.

They tore down the non-descript Mercantile Bank at Grand and Lindell - which was good - but built a lame fountain and largely unused plaza in its place. That corner would be great for a signature building, or at least one resembling DuBourg Hall across the street.

They tore down 20 North and Clark's for...nothing.

There's just no reason to tear down Laclede. So frustrating. When they do preserve buildings, most of the time it's the buildings that I couldn't care less about - like the language houses and the Iggy's building on Laclede. I would not shed a tear if those were torn down.

I probably would have been okay with them tearing down the Forest building, even though I really like art deco. Provided that they actually were to build something good in its place.

That's what really irritates me, that when SLU tears down buildings, most of the time nothing seems to go up in their place.

They tore down a beautiful mini-mansion on Lindell, which is now a gravel lot. Hopefully the law school expansion will happen at some point, so that the demolition actually will have served a purpose.

They tore down the awesome livery stables building on Locust, which is slowly becoming a really happening area, in favor of a parking lot.

They tore down an incredible mansion at Lindell and Spring for a parking lot.

They tore down the State Apartments for a ridiculous swimming pool.

They tore down the Olympia Apartments at West Pine and Vandeventer for...nothing.

They tore down the Marina Building at Grand and Lindell for...nothing.

They tore down the non-descript Mercantile Bank at Grand and Lindell - which was good - but built a lame fountain and largely unused plaza in its place. That corner would be great for a signature building, or at least one resembling DuBourg Hall across the street.

They tore down 20 North and Clark's for...nothing.

There's just no reason to tear down Laclede. So frustrating. When they do preserve buildings, most of the time it's the buildings that I couldn't care less about - like the language houses and the Iggy's building on Laclede. I would not shed a tear if those were torn down.

Yeah, I share your frustrations with the architectural short-sightedness of SLU, although some of those were before my time. I love the campus, love the layout, love the landscaping, but most of the buildings are non-descript, dated, or even flat-out ugly. And then the interesting ones around campus get torn down altogether.

I've always loved art deco, but the Forest building is certainly a poor man's example of it. Plus, converting an old pharmaceutical factory/office building into an academic building is probably awkward unless they put some real money or great minds behind it, which I'm certain they didn't.

Yeah, I share your frustrations with the architectural short-sightedness of SLU, although some of those were before my time. I love the campus, love the layout, love the landscaping, but most of the buildings are non-descript, dated, or even flat-out ugly. And then the interesting ones around campus get torn down altogether.

I've always loved art deco, but the Forest building is certainly a poor man's example of it. Plus, converting an old pharmaceutical factory/office building into an academic building is probably awkward unless they put some real money or great minds behind it, which I'm certain they didn't.

I really hope this is just another dirty SLU-mer as Laclede's is an absolute staple of the SLU experience. My four college years wouldn't have been the same without it. Oh the work you could do on the girls there made me feel like John D. Rockafeller. Every Friday afternoon for happy hour was a must. Packed and the perfect place to start the weekend. And then of course there was the stumble from Humps to Laclede's with some saucy sori-tute.

God I loved that place.

One of my friends knows a manager at Lacledes and she just told me that they are not closing. Again, I am strictly using second hand knowledge, but does anyone know FOR SURE if the story is true? We may be getting worked up for nothing. Love the nostalgia though.

Here's the proposed development - apparently it would take out Laclede, the old BBC and the parking lot at Vandeventer:

Posted Image

Link

IF they put a badass free beer garden on the roof with a man-a-pult on the ground and a slip-and-slide into a female mud-wrestling pit at the bottom, I'm all for it. Actually, I think that sounds like the best thing ever, except just charge a nominal fee for the beer. Any partners want to take this on w/ me? I think business would be good.

IF they put a badass free beer garden on the roof with a man-a-pult on the ground and a slip-and-slide into a female mud-wrestling pit at the bottom, I'm all for it. Actually, I think that sounds like the best thing ever, except just charge a nominal fee for the beer. Any partners want to take this on w/ me? I think business would be good.

I have to say I am very impressed with the proposed new student housing. Although I LOVE Laclede's and would hate to see it go, I hope it would have a rebirth elsewhere next to campus. The new housing looks beautiful and would really help revitalize a dead part of the off campus area, right across from the village.

Excellent move SLU. Excellent. Love it.

I have to say I am very impressed with the proposed new student housing. Although I LOVE Laclede's and would hate to see it go, I hope it would have a rebirth elsewhere next to campus. The new housing looks beautiful and would really help revitalize a dead part of the off campus area, right across from the village.

Excellent move SLU. Excellent. Love it.

about 30,000 more boarding students and we will be as big as the BCS schools

On the plus side:

It will provide housing for hundreds of students.

Parking garage is hidden in the back.

It will go all the way to Vandeventer, eliminating the huge surface parking lot.

First floor retail will help invigorate Laclede.

On the minus side:

I'd like to see the building go up to the sidewalk.

It eliminates Laclede St. Bar & Grill - great bar and a great building.

It does not address the issue of the vacant Fifth House building.

Ideally, I'd like to see a smaller version of this project, going from Vandeventer up to the Laclede St. Bar & Grill building. Renovate the Fifth House.

On the plus side:

It will provide housing for hundreds of students.

Parking garage is hidden in the back.

It will go all the way to Vandeventer, eliminating the huge surface parking lot.

First floor retail will help invigorate Laclede.

On the minus side:

I'd like to see the building go up to the sidewalk.

It eliminates Laclede St. Bar & Grill - great bar and a great building.

It does not address the issue of the vacant Fifth House building.

Ideally, I'd like to see a smaller version of this project, going from Vandeventer up to the Laclede St. Bar & Grill building. Renovate the Fifth House.

I agree. Smaller version keeping Laclede's.

If not, I really hope they open up at another location. But that still isn't 100% perfect because the large appeal of Laclede's was to stumble there after Humphrey's or to grab a beer while waiting for fraternity or sorority buses or to watch the NFL games. If it does get moved, it HAS to be close

• 5 weeks later...

I agree. Smaller version keeping Laclede's.

If not, I really hope they open up at another location. But that still isn't 100% perfect because the large appeal of Laclede's was to stumble there after Humphrey's or to grab a beer while waiting for fraternity or sorority buses or to watch the NFL games. If it does get moved, it HAS to be close

In the latest article I read on this subject, I believe the developers were talking with the owners of Laclede's to see if they would be interested in moving into the new building on the Vandeventer side. If that is the case, I think it can still serve the purposes you mentioned above. If they can come to an agreement I think it is a win-win for everyone. Either way, I'm going to have to hit a few Laclede's happy hours before that dump closes.

• 6 months later...

there is a new brew pub being put in right now at SE corner of Spring and Forest Park -- right across from the new lofts on the north of that corner. It's a very cool looking space with a big Schlitz sign over the door. just down from Jimmy John's.

where is that old BBC some of you mention? is it that old vacant building east of Laclede's??

by far the coolest venue put in recently was Cafe Ventano, west of Vandeventer on Pine, (2 blocks from my office!) with great coffee and begnets (sp?). very nice pastries, great outdoor space too.

there is a new brew pub being put in right now at SE corner of Spring and Forest Park -- right across from the new lofts on the north of that corner. It's a very cool looking space with a big Schlitz sign over the door. just down from Jimmy John's.

where is that old BBC some of you mention? is it that old vacant building east of Laclede's??

by far the coolest venue put in recently was Cafe Ventano, west of Vandeventer on Pine, (2 blocks from my office!) with great coffee and begnets (sp?). very nice pastries, great outdoor space too.

BBC (Billiken Bench Club) was in the two connected buildings to the west of Laclede's parking lot. Those of the Taj/Bonwich era know it better as Pastori's. It was a great bar back in the day - they had a huge patio out back. I remember hopping the fence in the back when I was under 21. They were known for "Bladder Buster" promotion where there were beer specials until someone went to the bathroom.

The building to the east of Laclede's is the Fifth House, which has been closed for a long time. I've been in the building, and there is an enormous hole in the floor. It needs a LOT of work, and the longtime owners want an exorbitant sum for it.

The brew pub sounds very exciting. I may have to drive by to check it out. The new loft building should be great - I'm sure the McGowan Brothers will do a good job with that one. I've heard nothing but good things about Cafe Ventana. I need to get over there one of these days.

From what I heard from a friend of mine who is a Fire/EMS guy out at Shrewsbury, is that a couple of old FDSTL guys purchased the building and are turning it into a pub with a fireman motif, if you will. The bar is going to be a bunch of front ends of old firetrucks welded together and there will be places for out-of-town firemen to leave badges, t-shirts, etc. With a firehouse right there on Vandeventer and Forest Park, it will be an ideal location for those guys coming off their shift. Should also attract tons of SLU co-eds looking for their Tommy Keefe (fans of the show "Rescue Me" will get that one)...

will be back with more info...

From what I heard from a friend of mine who is a Fire/EMS guy out at Shrewsbury, is that a couple of old FDSTL guys purchased the building and are turning it into a pub with a fireman motif, if you will. The bar is going to be a bunch of front ends of old firetrucks welded together and there will be places for out-of-town firemen to leave badges, t-shirts, etc. With a firehouse right there on Vandeventer and Forest Park, it will be an ideal location for those guys coming off their shift. Should also attract tons of SLU co-eds looking for their Tommy Keefe (fans of the show "Rescue Me" will get that one)...

will be back with more info...

Its Tommy Gavin! haha but it sounds like a cool place. What does that make... 4 off campus bars by slu?