OT: Lacledes R.I.P

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only weird thing was that mid-act she kept asking a lot of really strange personal questions, like what was my family like and where did I see myself in 5 years. I think I probably mumbled something along the lines of "my family is dead and in 5 minutes, I see myself asleep."

This is freaking hilarious, BTW.

I had better luck at Bogart's. BEST EVER college sex story of my life stretches two weeks and starts at Humphrey's and ends at Bogarts. Only slightly beats the girl from Syracuse University on the beach at Boca Raton, March 1978. Justeversoslightly.

Ah, Bogarts. Despite not remembering a lot (hush yo mouth, bonowich) I do recall that the number of georgous girls on the SLU campus, 1975 through 1982, left a lot to be desired. Not like it is today. Must be the extra hormones and additives.

Ah, Bogarts. Thursday, May 24, 1979.

I had better luck at Bogart's. BEST EVER college sex story of my life stretches two weeks and starts at Humphrey's and ends at Bogarts. Only slightly beats the girl from Syracuse University on the beach at Boca Raton, March 1978. Justeversoslightly.

Ah, Bogarts. Despite not remembering a lot (hush yo mouth, bonowich) I do recall that the number of georgous girls on the SLU campus, 1975 through 1982, left a lot to be desired. Not like it is today. Must be the extra hormones and additives.

thanks taj, the best i got from bogarts was i played my best pac man there. :lol:

thanks taj, the best i got from bogarts was i played my best pac man there. :lol:

Hahahaha, that's awesome. Maybe you should switch games and learn Crystal Castles (Crystal) from "Pigger".

If you haven't seen the movie King of Kong, you owe it to yourself, best mockumentary I've ever seen (better than This Is Spinal Tap, even).

Also pays homage to Roy Shildt (Mr. Awesome).

Two words: Role model.

"Don't Bogart that (chick), my friend..."

I don't believe I can count how many times I've said, "Laclede's? They need to tear down that freak haven." SLUSAE03 is absolutely correct...the owner was a dick. I did however accidentally hit him in the face while handing him a rather large framed Budweiser mirror as he was in the middle of doing the live auction for my fraternity....so I got that going for me...which is nice.

Tearing it down is ok but where do you go now for a beer on campus? Humphreys is about it after 8 pm? I don't know how many times I would have driven shitfaced back to campus had lacledes, humphreys, and freddies been there. More student drunk driving!

The only thing LSBG was good for is that they always played my favorite song.....

Yo listen up

Heres the story about a little guy that lives in a blue world

And all day and all night and everything he sees is just blue like him

Indside and outside

Blue his house with the blue little window and a blue corvette

And everything is blue for him and his-self

And everybody around cuz he aint got nobody to listen.

Im blue da ba dee da ba di da ba dee da ba di da d ba dee da ba di da ba dee

Da ba di da ba dee da ba di da (repeat once)

I have a blue house with a blue window

Blue is the color I bought that I wear

Blue are the trees and now the trees are too

I have a girlfriend and she is so blue

Blue are the people here that walk around

Blue like my corvette its standing outside

Blue are the words are say and what I think

Blue are the feelings that live inside me.

Da ba di da ba dee da ba di da (repeat twice)

Indside and outside

Im blue da ba dee da ba di da ba dee da ba di da ba dee da ba di da ba dee da

Ba di da ba dee da ba di da (repeat til end)

The only thing LSBG was good for is that they always played my favorite song.....

Yo listen up

Heres the story about a little guy that lives in a blue world

And all day and all night and everything he sees is just blue like him

Indside and outside

Da ba di da ba dee da ba di da (repeat once)

I have a blue house with a blue window

Blue is the color I bought that I wear

Blue are the trees and now the trees are too

I have a girlfriend and she is so blue

Blue are the people here that walk around

Blue like my corvette its standing outside

Blue are the words are say and what I think

Blue are the feelings that live inside me.

Da ba di da ba dee da ba di da (repeat twice)

Indside and outside

Im blue da ba dee da ba di da ba dee da ba di da ba dee da ba di da ba dee da

Ba di da ba dee da ba di da (repeat til end)

I had no idea what song this was until I looked it up. Hahahahaha. Skank, meet Leg. Leg, skank.

"Don't Bogart that (chick), my friend..."

Hey, Brick Tamland, I thought you loved lamp....?

Who remembers the "Balcony Monster" from Clark's and, more importantly, did anyone actually do it? :lol:

When I was in school (and Laclede's was called Calleco's) some cheasy DJ would play American Pie every night and actually had everyone reciting some chant about drinking beer with their f'd up friends. Do they still do this? Even back then, when a guy was on a bit of a dry spell he could count on a good Wednesday or Thursday night at Calleco's to quench his thirst for some very short-term female companionship. (Sarah -- If you read this, please understand that I was always adamantly opposed to these behaviors :lol: )

September '99 . . . . me and the girl at the time were thrown in the slammer for the night after getting caught by under-cover police inside. Not only did I look like I was 16, even though I was 19, but I thought that it would be a great idea to try and 'fake-out' the cops and pass them my fake ID that some clown across the hall from me in my dorm made on his computer that said I was 24. Got to add false identification to my MIP. All in all, it turned out alright for me. Got bailed out by some buddies at 3am, to come home to my dorm room and have my roomate playing 'I shot the Sheriff' on his 3 disc CD changer....oh and by the way, the owner was arrested with me and in the same holding cell...and he was an ass.

If you haven't seen the movie King of Kong, you owe it to yourself, best mockumentary I've ever seen (better than This Is Spinal Tap, even).

The King of Kong isn't a mockumentary! It's definitely real- that makes it all the more entertaining. Billy Mitchell seems totally fictional, but he's a true former Donkey Kong world champ who actually manufactures and sells his own hot sauce. I was disappointed this wasn't nominated for Best Documentary at the Oscars last year, but they seem to be intent on only nominating "big issue" docs anymore.

http://www.avclub.com/content/cinema/the_k...ng_a_fistful_of

http://www.avclub.com/content/feature/the_..._kong_continued

http://www.avclub.com/content/newswire/the..._kong_continued

http://www.avclub.com/content/feature/nect...migods_b_list/2

The King of Kong isn't a mockumentary! It's definitely real- that makes it all the more entertaining. Billy Mitchell seems totally fictional, but he's a true former Donkey Kong world champ who actually manufactures and sells his own hot sauce. I was disappointed this wasn't nominated for Best Documentary at the Oscars last year, but they seem to be intent on only nominating "big issue" docs anymore.

http://www.avclub.com/content/cinema/the_k...ng_a_fistful_of

http://www.avclub.com/content/feature/the_..._kong_continued

http://www.avclub.com/content/newswire/the..._kong_continued

http://www.avclub.com/content/feature/nect...migods_b_list/2

I stand corrected. Knew it was all true, but mislabeled it as a mockumentary. One of my favorite parts is when Steve Wiebe's 8-year-old-ish daughter says in the van on the way to the big showdown, "it seems like some people kind of ruin their lives over this stuff", and dad just sits there silently. The theater erupted at that point.

I stand corrected. Knew it was all true, but mislabeled it as a mockumentary. One of my favorite parts is when Steve Wiebe's 8-year-old-ish daughter says in the van on the way to the big showdown, "it seems like some people kind of ruin their lives over this stuff", and dad just sits there silently. The theater erupted at that point.

Gotcha. I imagined watching the entire thing thinking that it wasn't real and wondering if that would have made it much different.

That scene is great, the movie is full of them. When that guy is running around the arcade: "There's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up over here if you guys wanna check it out....Donkey Kong kill screen over here," my girlfriend's frustration with their nerdiness boiled over: "Who are these people!?" She doesn't have the same appreciation for geek culture that I do. I am leery of any girls that do, though.

I think it's time for a "Save Laclede" campaign along the lines of the "Save Humphrey's" campaign. I just don't want to see that great building torn down.

From what I've heard it's a done deal. The lots around it give SLU plenty of space for new housing of some kind, which is desperately needed. However, another bar is now desperately needed. Humphrey's won't be able to handle the spillover.

I also have some fond Laclede's memories, heading there after Humprey's on weekend nights to watch the hammered SLU students dancing and mingling with people who were obviously not students. Friday afternoon happy hours were also a staple, as I somehow managed to always down two small pitchers of beer and two appetizers for under $10.

I think I also might have the record for being thrown out of Laclede's- I went there on my 21st birthday around midnight after beating the 21 shot barrier that evening. I somehow managed to show an ID, sat at a stool at the table by the door, knocked over about a half dozen empty glasses as my head and arms landed on the table, they all shattered on the floor, and was booted immediately. Of course, I have no memory of this but I'm told it was probably under 20 seconds all in.