The Atmosphere

davidnark

Anyone notice that we are playing better in the second half. Could this be because the team gets better support from the students on their end than they do from the "FANS" on the east end of the court???!! Wouldn't want to make any noise to distract the opposition when they have the ball.

This building was built to give a home court advantage. Now we need to give the team that advantage for the whole game not just the second half.

DEFENSE is not a hard word to say and even easier to yell.

Lets try it out on BC saturday. :wub:

I ended up getting out of class early, and my Dad left me one of his tickets in case that happened, so I sat in the regular seats for only the 2nd time since the end of the 2001-01 season, as I am in the SLU Band. It was a different experience to say the least. I was seated behind the SLU bench, and a few times when I stood up to celebrate a great play (I normally spend the whole game standing up so sitting just feels a little weird to me), I'd look around and find few if anyone else standing up around me. I'm not sure if I heard right, but at one point in the later stages of the 2nd half, I stood up because the possession was an important one, and I thought I heard somebody a couple rows back say "Aww, Don't stand up." This time there were several people around me that were standing.

Since I'll be returning to the Band section for the BC game, I implore you all to get on your feet when there's a big play. If the guy behind you doesn't like, they can stand up too.

I believe the main issue is that he has the unwavering support of one of our key boosters.

Bonwich, blackmail is obviously the only answer! I suggest a series of PHC reviews of less than a complimentary nature, continuing until the Change is implemented!!!!! You are the only poster with the power to get this done---go for it. :wub:

Guy does leave alot to be desired.

Does anyone else have trouble with the girl who does the timeout entertainment?

What we hear down in our seats near the Billiken bench (end line) is unintelligble. She's been named the "Blah-Blah-Blah" girl by the guy sitting behind me.

and .... if you're going to wear sweat pans and run all over the floor, wear athletic shoes, not heels. At the UMSL game she looked like she was going to fall down every time she ran.

We can debate whether or not the Fisher kid walked, but no one is talking about what an awesome atmosphere it was for the second half and overtime. The whole crowd was into the game, the student section was great (and even caused Kent State to missed a few free throws), and the players were clearly engaged with the crowd. It was exactly what we all hoped would happen at the on-campus arena. I can't wait until we start selling the place out.

I think it helps a lot. I don't recall too many games against decent opponents when SLU had twice as many FT attempts like the did last night.

I can't wait until we start selling the place out.

When do you all think we are going to be selling the place out? I was a little disappointed to see 7100 for UMSL although it was the first "official" game but only 6500 for Kent State. If we can sell out BC and get a win maybe we will get some people hooked. It would be great to have a sell out streak!

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Kevin Shortal

I ended up getting out of class early, and my Dad left me one of his tickets in case that happened, so I sat in the regular seats for only the 2nd time since the end of the 2001-01 season, as I am in the SLU Band. It was a different experience to say the least. I was seated behind the SLU bench, and a few times when I stood up to celebrate a great play (I normally spend the whole game standing up so sitting just feels a little weird to me), I'd look around and find few if anyone else standing up around me. I'm not sure if I heard right, but at one point in the later stages of the 2nd half, I stood up because the possession was an important one, and I thought I heard somebody a couple rows back say "Aww, Don't stand up." This time there were several people around me that were standing.

Since I'll be returning to the Band section for the BC game, I implore you all to get on your feet when there's a big play. If the guy behind you doesn't like, they can stand up too.

In the 3 games I've been to at Chaifetz I've stood about 25% of the time and never heard anyone complain. That could be because I'm in row W of the 100s, which is the last row there. ;)

Time to make this a home court advantage and stop acting like a bunch of blue hairs. Stand if you want, but do so when the time is right. The best difference I've noticed b/w Chaifetz and Scottrade is the lack of the gestapo ushers like we had before. If Gladys yells at you for standing, tell her that she can't see the court anyways!!

When do you all think we are going to be selling the place out? I was a little disappointed to see 7100 for UMSL although it was the first "official" game but only 6500 for Kent State. If we can sell out BC and get a win maybe we will get some people hooked. It would be great to have a sell out streak!

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Kevin Shortal

and there were those here that scoffed at the likes of myself, bonwich or clock for questioning our summer pr and marketing. but not to worry, no one else does any summer work either.

In the 3 games I've been to at Chaifetz I've stood about 25% of the time and never heard anyone complain. That could be because I'm in row W of the 100s, which is the last row there. ;)

Time to make this a home court advantage and stop acting like a bunch of blue hairs. Stand if you want, but do so when the time is right. The best difference I've noticed b/w Chaifetz and Scottrade is the lack of the gestapo ushers like we had before. If Gladys yells at you for standing, tell her that she can't see the court anyways!!

i too want to compliment the mentality of the arena. my daughter sat with the students at the umsl game and the fans just behind and to the right of the student section apparently were complaining about the slu students standing. the ushers went and got them new tickets and told them to move and said the students were not going to be required to sit.

while i admit i only stand as the game dictates, i have absolutely no problem with anyone standing as much as they want to stand or cheering how and how much or in what degree as they want.

anyone want proof of how strong a crazy fan base can be needs to watch (and listen) to the replay of that singletary kid shooting his two free throws wednesday night. score 2 for the blue crew.

and there were those here that scoffed at the likes of myself, bonwich or clock for questioning our summer pr and marketing. but not to worry, no one else does any summer work either.

And last night in the largest city in the U.S., Duke and UCLA played a double header in front of 9,400 people. If only they had marketed those teams more...

And last night in the largest city in the U.S., Duke and UCLA played a double header in front of 9,400 people. If only they had marketed those teams more...

i didnt realize that duke and ucla were now playing their home games exclusively in new york now.

i didnt realize that duke and ucla were now playing their home games exclusively in new york now.

The point is, when two of the premier programs are playing on the same night and 1 ticket gets you in to see both, and a city of 10 million (including the many Duke alumni that live in NYC) can't even get 10 thousand to show up, it may be a sign that the economy and lack of interest in November college basketball trumps marketing, no matter how marketing you do.

The point is, when two of the premier programs are playing on the same night and 1 ticket gets you in to see both, and a city of 10 million (including the many Duke alumni that live in NYC) can't even get 10 thousand to show up, it may be a sign that the economy and lack of interest in November college basketball trumps marketing, no matter how marketing you do.

sorry, i dont see the connection between no marketing at slu and the attendance for a duke vs siu game in new york city.

now if that duke siu game would have been played at durham and they would have had 60% attendance you got a point.

-box, i have no clue who you are talking about, can you elaborate as to what her role in the entertainment that is slu hoops may be?

-i think lil bit brunette is still around the ath dept, which is a very good thing

You know who is hot is the girl/woman who looks like she's running the Saintsaitions.