Seven Freshmen

Would these kids be on campus on August 3rd? Mine doesn't head off until August 21 and those that are athletes in that class don't have to be at fall sports until August 16th. Basketball ain't a fall sport and dorms aren't open. are they?

Does anyone know if all seven freshmen are on campus? Any news from pick-up games? If Conklin is in town has anyone seen him. Is he as big as advertized or smaller as rumor has it? Cotto is on board, right?

With regard to Cotto, I think our best source is the infamous Andy Strickland, also known as "Bernie's Boy." He seems to be very knowledgable about our Alton recruit.

Regarding freshmen basketball players being on campus. I seem to remember seeing on this board about a month ago that Thompson, Reed and maybe Mitchell or John were on campus taking summer classes. I think the same post said that Conklin was due in soon. I hadn't heard a thing about Cassidy and Cotto being on campus. Often incoming freshmen athletes get on campus early to get a jump on college classes.

Regarding freshmen basketball players being on campus. I seem to remember seeing on this board about a month ago that Thompson, Reed and maybe Mitchell or John were on campus taking summer classes. I think the same post said that Conklin was due in soon. I hadn't heard a thing about Cassidy and Cotto being on campus. Often incoming freshmen athletes get on campus early to get a jump on college classes.

The last two summers have been absolutely ABYSMAL when it comes to information. We've had like 2 posts all summer of player sightings. I would bet that the players are on campus and playing at the rec center a lot. I know when I was on campus, that was what they did. Apparently we don't have any sources on campus. It would be nice to have a student or two post on here.

The last two summers have been absolutely ABYSMAL when it comes to information. We've had like 2 posts all summer of player sightings. I would bet that the players are on campus and playing at the rec center a lot. I know when I was on campus, that was what they did. Apparently we don't have any sources on campus. It would be nice to have a student or two post on here.

Well the AD did reserve 1,000 seats for students for every game so there has to be a huge buzz around campus, right?(sarcasm) I know campus is pretty dead right now but to have no reports at all is a little concerning if you ask me.

The four above mentioned were on campus for summer school. I saw Cassidy at one point on campus too, but I am not sure if he was taking classes. As far as Ruben goes...still waiting to be cleared thru the NCAA clearinghouse, hopefully it will be soon. This is a really busy time of the year for them and they are a little bogged down.

mitchell, reed, conklin, cassity, john, thompson and lisch were all on campus this summer, working out and taking classes from the beginning of july to last weekend. when some of them went back home until the start of school (reed and kwamain I believe). ruben wasn't there. the strength and conditioning coach really put them to work I believe he still has to go through the clearinghouse to become official... he got the score and passed a class he needed at alton this summer.

paul eckerle had a herniated (sp) disc, so his workouts have been curtailed this summer. TL III had ankle surgery, but he seems to have recovered fine. His team won the bonner league title last week. Barry looks like he has dropped some weight and replaced it with muscle. He looks really good. We'll see if it translate into some increased production as a senior.

bad boyz for life

mitchell, reed, conklin, cassity, john, thompson and lisch were all on campus this summer, working out and taking classes from the beginning of july to last weekend. when some of them went back home until the start of school (reed and kwamain I believe). ruben wasn't there. the strength and conditioning coach really put them to work I believe he still has to go through the clearinghouse to become official... he got the score and passed a class he needed at alton this summer.

paul eckerle had a herniated (sp) disc, so his workouts have been curtailed this summer. TL III had ankle surgery, but he seems to have recovered fine. His team won the bonner league title last week. Barry looks like he has dropped some weight and replaced it with muscle. He looks really good. We'll see if it translate into some increased production as a senior.

bad boyz for life

That's great news (except for the bit about Eckerle). Thanks for the report.

bad boyz for life

Don't we all feel better when Diddy comments on things? Now if we could get Guest to start posting again things would even better in Billikenland.

bad boyz for life

Thanks for the update, diddy. You're insight is always appreciated. Anybody check out that bonner league championship? I'm curious as to how Justin Johnson looked.

The four above mentioned were on campus for summer school. I saw Cassidy at one point on campus too, but I am not sure if he was taking classes. As far as Ruben goes...still waiting to be cleared thru the NCAA clearinghouse, hopefully it will be soon. This is a really busy time of the year for them and they are a little bogged down.

I know people will say that this is being really picky but it is a small pet peeve of mine. His name is Cassity, not Cassidy since he is supposedly on campus and will be suiting up for the Bills this year, people should at least learn his name.

Sorry for my rant, I will leave the subject alone for now.

I know people will say that this is being really picky but it is a small pet peeve of mine. His name is Cassity, not Cassidy since he is supposedly on campus and will be suiting up for the Bills this year, people should at least learn his name.

Sorry for my rant, I will leave the subject alone for now.

We will just call him Hop Along.

I have heard that the new guys (sans Cotto) were on campus scrimmaging and working out regularly the past month. I was told Conklin looks real good and probably has the most polished inside game of the incoming big men. Neither Reed nor Cotto have been officially cleared by the NCAA, but both are expected to be OK. (Supposedly, the clearinghouse is overwhelmed and is still working through the fall athletes.) The other information I have heard about the scrimages is pretty much redundant at this point. For example, Reed is a real nice athlete who needs to add strength, F. John has a nice overall game but needs to continue to work on his outside shot, K. Mitchell will be a signficant upgrade at point guard in nearly all aspects, etc. November cannot come soon enough; all of the regulars on this board are clearly starving to see the new look of this team in action.

Guest BillikenReport

Neither Reed nor Cotto have been officially cleared by the NCAA, but both are expected to be OK. (Supposedly, the clearinghouse is overwhelmed and is still working through the fall athletes.)

The NCAA Clearinghouse is just now clearing football players. Illinois just had one or two players cleared in recent days and Missouri is still waiting for two guys to be cleared.

The NCAA Clearinghouse is just now clearing football players. Illinois just had one or two players cleared in recent days and Missouri is still waiting for two guys to be cleared.

So, I would imagine school is getting ready to start. Will/should they be cleared before the start of school? If not, can they start school on scholarship while they wait for the NCAA?

So, I would imagine school is getting ready to start. Will/should they be cleared before the start of school? If not, can they start school on scholarship while they wait for the NCAA?

Correct me if I am wrong, but SLU can give a scholarship to anyone and not have problems with the NCAA. Whether or not the kid (in this case, Reed and Cotto); however, are eligible to play when the season starts is another story. I would guess that SLU already has a good idea that both will qualify and will undoubtedly provide them with a scholarship. Also, I would guess that most schools are willing to give a scholarship to a kid (one more kid in the same classroom) if there is a chance he or she will qualify. The risk is probably more upon the player who must decide to go to the D-1 college or Junior College.

I have heard that the new guys (sans Cotto) were on campus scrimmaging and working out regularly the past month. I was told Conklin looks real good and probably has the most polished inside game of the incoming big men. Neither Reed nor Cotto have been officially cleared by the NCAA, but both are expected to be OK. (Supposedly, the clearinghouse is overwhelmed and is still working through the fall athletes.) The other information I have heard about the scrimages is pretty much redundant at this point. For example, Reed is a real nice athlete who needs to add strength, F. John has a nice overall game but needs to continue to work on his outside shot, K. Mitchell will be a signficant upgrade at point guard in nearly all aspects, etc. November cannot come soon enough; all of the regulars on this board are clearly starving to see the new look of this team in action.

I love that Majerus basically just wrote Conklin a 3-page love letter and Conklin just started wearing his ring, sight unseen. I hope he breaks a few kids' faces over the next few years. Just crazy-ass Charles Barkley (1:58) clearouts every time.

Guest BillikenReport

Nate, is there still a chance to grab anyone else as either a transfer from another school or a player for this year?

Considering they just gave a scholarship to a kid who was going to Fontbonne, I'd say there's very little chance of adding anyone who can help. I did hear about a potential walk-on, but the kid averaged less than 3 points per game on a high school team that wasn't very good.