Seven Freshmen

Considering they just gave a scholarship to a kid who was going to Fontbonne, I'd say there's very little chance of adding anyone who can help. I did hear about a potential walk-on, but the kid averaged less than 3 points per game on a high school team that wasn't very good.

Yes, but he should have been All-Metro. ;)

Correct me if I am wrong, but SLU can give a scholarship to anyone and not have problems with the NCAA. Whether or not the kid (in this case, Reed and Cotto); however, are eligible to play when the season starts is another story. I would guess that SLU already has a good idea that both will qualify and will undoubtedly provide them with a scholarship. Also, I would guess that most schools are willing to give a scholarship to a kid (one more kid in the same classroom) if there is a chance he or she will qualify. The risk is probably more upon the player who must decide to go to the D-1 college or Junior College.

yes, they can give the scholarships. However, if the person gets a scholarship, enrolls, and after the start of the academic year is not cleared for any reason (academic, amateurism) then they have to pay back the amount of the scholarship they have received to that point (based on the institution's refund policies) before they can be eligible to compete at an NCAA institution in the future. It really comes down to how confident the institution is that the individuals will qualify.

yes, they can give the scholarships. However, if the person gets a scholarship, enrolls, and after the start of the academic year is not cleared for any reason (academic, amateurism) then they have to pay back the amount of the scholarship they have received to that point (based on the institution's refund policies) before they can be eligible to compete at an NCAA institution in the future. It really comes down to how confident the institution is that the individuals will qualify.

Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. Sorry it took so long for me to respond.

Does anyone know if all seven freshmen are on campus? Any news from pick-up games? If Conklin is in town has anyone seen him. Is he as big as advertized or smaller as rumor has it? Cotto is on board, right?

ONE week until Freshmen move in! Can you tell I am excited??