soderberg on kfns at 11:30 am

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that the whole picture must be looked at, lets say you wanted to send your kid to Vashon. There are plusses and minuses

On the Plus side

-Don't have to actually move in the District

-Special funding for student apartments with maid service

-sweet uni's

-Don't actually have to attend classes

-You will most likely get to attend the cheaper Community College after graduation

-You will get "scared straight" while visiting your ex coach in prison

On the minus side

-Cost you a few bucks to participate in casual Friday

-You most likely won't be able to spell upon graduation

-You will most likely will have to attend the cheaper Community College after graduation

-You will have to make the trip to the pen to visit your ex coach.

The parent just needs to make a list of the pro's and "con's" and see under which list the past coach falls and make the decision that's best for their family

I'm sure the decision to send Kramer to St. Charles West had a lot to do with basketball coach Terry Hollander.

If you are a Division I basketball coach, and you know your son will more than likely play D-1 basketball after high school, I would think you'd have to find a high school coach that you like and respect and think will do a good job coaching your child.

For those not familiar, Brad picked St. Charles to raise his family. The private/Catholic school options in St. Charles include Duchesne High School and St. Dominic High. Neither school has had any recent success, tradition or coaching from a basketball standpoint. No doubt these schools each have some fine teachers and have produced some good alumni but just nothing basketball wise. St. Charles West, on the other had, has a really good coach in Terry Hollander who coached and won the Missouri State Championship with Ryan Roberston (along with brother Troy) and then have won many district titles plus over the years. The other option for St. Charles kids is to go a private school on the St. Louis side of the river such as DeSmet (rich basketball tradition) or now CBC - following its relocation to Hwy 40 & 270. These schools & their commutes obviously were not chosen. Of the schools located in St. Charles, St. Charles West probably makes the most sense when you factor in both academics and basketball.

Brad made the choice and I cannot say that it was a bad one or even a questionable one.

For those not familiar, Brad picked St. Charles to raise his family. The private/Catholic school options in St. Charles include Duchesne High School and St. Dominic High. Neither school has had any recent success, tradition or coaching from a basketball standpoint. No doubt these schools each have some fine teachers and have produced some good alumni but just nothing basketball wise. St. Charles West, on the other had, has a really good coach in Terry Hollander who coached and won the Missouri State Championship with Ryan Roberston (along with brother Troy) and then have won many district titles plus over the years. The other option for St. Charles kids is to go a private school on the St. Louis side of the river such as DeSmet (rich basketball tradition) or now CBC - following its relocation to Hwy 40 & 270. These schools & their commutes obviously were not chosen. Of the schools located in St. Charles, St. Charles West probably makes the most sense when you factor in both academics and basketball.

Brad made the choice and I cannot say that it was a bad one or even a questionable one.

Then we could all agree Brad was not fired for being too religious or wearing his religion on his sleeve-we all knew where Kramer went to high school

and it was a good idea to hire a coach with more than one kid to attend SLU if his dad worked out and the kids inherited basketball skills. We missed out on much of the Grawer kids, too. Maybe Brad picked St. Charles because it had a house or building restrictions that could include a full court basketball set up. Everyone has their own priorities. I do think Romar and Spoon got a local P-R splash that Brad never got. Did Biondi know Romar was searching the West Coast for a job and Brad was Biondi's backup of the next head coach without too much thought? It seems Chaifetz moved the Bills to seek higher profile people because he gave more money to the program than anyone in a long time. Taking a time out at Loras may mean that Brad peaked

at Wisconsin.

Then we could all agree Brad was not fired for being too religious or wearing his religion on his sleeve-we all knew where Kramer went to high school

and it was a good idea to hire a coach with more than one kid to attend SLU if his dad worked out and the kids inherited basketball skills. We missed out on much of the Grawer kids, too. Maybe Brad picked St. Charles because it had a house or building restrictions that could include a full court basketball set up. Everyone has their own priorities. I do think Romar and Spoon got a local P-R splash that Brad never got. Did Biondi know Romar was searching the West Coast for a job and Brad was Biondi's backup of the next head coach without too much thought? It seems Chaifetz moved the Bills to seek higher profile people because he gave more money to the program than anyone in a long time. Taking a time out at Loras may mean that Brad peaked

at Wisconsin.

One thing no one has factored in is that the Soderbergs used a real estate agent when moving to the St. Louis area from Wisconsin as he took the assistant job under Romar. When they sat down and listed everything they wanted, the agent pointed them to St. Charles. Despite all the arguments city loyalists (myself included) can make about sprawl, traffic, dullness, homogeneity, and so on, I can understand how St. Charles looks like a great place to raise a family on paper. It makes sense that a family not from the area settled there- good schools, low crime, and all those other factors that young families look for exist in St. Charles. A lot of other areas in and around St. Louis can be a harder sell, especially to outsiders.

They also strongly considered sending Kramer to Duschene and looked at the other Catholic schools but chose SCW based on the reasons listed before.

Also, for the record, Romar wasn't searching the West Coast for a job. He had every intention of staying at SLU until he was deep in talks with Washington (which contacted him first) and his family.

One thing no one has factored in is that the Soderbergs used a real estate agent when moving to the St. Louis area from Wisconsin as he took the assistant job under Romar. When they sat down and listed everything they wanted, the agent pointed them to St. Charles. Despite all the arguments city loyalists (myself included) can make about sprawl, traffic, dullness, homogeneity, and so on, I can understand how St. Charles looks like a great place to raise a family on paper. It makes sense that a family not from the area settled there- good schools, low crime, and all those other factors that young families look for exist in St. Charles. A lot of other areas in and around St. Louis can be a harder sell, especially to outsiders.

They also strongly considered sending Kramer to Duschene and looked at the other Catholic schools but chose SCW based on the reasons listed before.

Also, for the record, Romar wasn't searching the West Coast for a job. He had every intention of staying at SLU until he was deep in talks with Washington (which contacted him first) and his family.

He must have had some intention on leaving before he was "deep" in talks ... otherwise it never would have progressed to that point. I highly doubt anyone on this board knows wheher or not Romar had feelers out on the West Coast for a job .... and really who cares, he's gone

To prove your point further, O'Fallon, St. Peters and St. Chuck were all listed on one of those b.s. "Best Places to Live" lists. Funny, as someone who has lived here for 30+ years and knows St. Louis quite well, none of those cities would be on my personal list of best places to live in the metro area.

To prove your point further, O'Fallon, St. Peters and St. Chuck were all listed on one of those b.s. "Best Places to Live" lists. Funny, as someone who has lived here for 30+ years and knows St. Louis quite well, none of those cities would be on my personal list of best places to live in the metro area.

I couldn't agree more about how b.s. those lists are, and I probably share pretty similar views to yours in terms of the best places in the area to live. But most people probably give the "best places" lists too much credibility and real estate agents use them to their advantage.

Nothing against St. Chuck County or its citizens, I guess it just comes down to which place is best for you. I'm happy that the Soderbergs were able to sell their house and not lose a lot, too.

Not to offend anybody (and I'm apparently great at that), but you couldn't pay me enough money to raise a family in St. Louis City. I lived in STL for five years, so I feel I got a pretty decent idea of what it would be like. As a twenty something single, it's great. But it's not at all what I'm looking for if/when I take the plunge into the family life. Different strokes for different folks.

Not to offend anybody (and I'm apparently great at that), but you couldn't pay me enough money to raise a family in St. Louis City. I lived in STL for five years, so I feel I got a pretty decent idea of what it would be like. As a twenty something single, it's great. But it's not at all what I'm looking for if/when I take the plunge into the family life. Different strokes for different folks.

The city's a big place. Some parts are better for families than others. Other parts are becoming more and more family-friendly all the time.

And a lot of the inner-ring suburbs are great too. There's a lot in between St. Louis City and St. Charles County.

In the same manner that people shouldn't question Brad's reasons for living and raising a family in St. Chuck, one shouldn't question someone else's decision to live or raise a family in the city. People value things differently and there are many reasons why living in the city or other urban areas of the region is considered attractive just like there are many different reasons why living in areas like St. Chuck are considered attractive.

In the same manner that people shouldn't question Brad's reasons for living and raising a family in St. Chuck, one shouldn't question someone else's decision to live or raise a family in the city. People value things differently and there are many reasons why living in the city or other urban areas of the region is considered attractive just like there are many different reasons why living in areas like St. Chuck are considered attractive.

Exactly. I didn't mean to come off (and don't think I did) as saying there is anything wrong with living in the city. There absolutely isn't. One of the things I'll be looking for is the ability to hit a pitching wedge in my backyard and not hit the house next to me (not necessarily literally...just that kind of space). Or go to the store and not hit 10 traffic lights. I'm unaware of city living places that offer that kind of space for somebody in my tax bracket. Others like to be able to walk to 5 different ethnic restaurants. Some will consider the ability to ride mass transportation to work/school a big thing. I was born and raised about 15 minutes from Newark, New Jersey, so I've done city living. Like I said....different strokes.

Either way, I don't feel a coach's living arrangements or religious affiliation have any bearing on his ability to coach a basketball team.

I am sorry but where any coach decides to live is there business. Also where a parent chooses to send their children to school is once again their business and not ours. To say because he worked for a Catholic University then he should have sent his kids to a Catholic school is way off base. Good schools exist everywhere through out the St. Louis area - some are private and some are public just as there are bad private schools and public ones. SLU accepts kids from all types of schools and they serve more than just Catholics so to back such a parochial statement is just not smart.

Actually, I'm not even sure that Brad is Catholic..maybe he's not. Does anybody on here know?

Skip reported the following: "He believes strongly in God, and that he's at Loras for a reason,"

Either way, Brad's faith directed him to his new job at a Catholic university. However, it wasn't important enough when selecting a high school for his son. The quality of the coach was more important. Brad can do what he wants, but I'll stand by my position that it's a little odd. Brad made enough money to live wherever he wanted and afford whatever high school he wanted.

i agree with cheeseman. there are a lot of reasons it may have not made sense for the soderberg's to send kramer to a private school. i know over on the east side, the honors program and the facilities at althoff arent even close to what belleville west has available. so why would i pass on those greater attributes to send her to althoff?

i do know that some of the private schools on the missouri side are much better, but then i would have deprived my children of a social life as there was no way i was going to be able to run them back and forth to the missouri side until they were old enough to drive themselves.

every child's situation i am sure is different though. take a tommie liddell, if he could have went to althoff as opposed to east st louis, i would bet he would have come out far ahead academically.

i think it is up the parents to access what is best for their family, their child and what puts the child in the best place socially and academically when they get out of high school. the fact kramer will be attending a very nice school in miami ohio i think demonstrates he did just fine.

Aren't you Lutheran? Why would you have sent your kids to a Catholic school? For that matter, why didn't you go to Wittenburg or Valpo? Oh wait, you wouldn't have been able to get away with getting Ds in your theology classes!

Aren't you Lutheran? Why would you have sent your kids to a Catholic school?

i am not lutheran. i am a protestant. however my wife and kids are catholic. both of my kids went to a catholic grade school. my son attended althoff.

Actually, I'm not even sure that Brad is Catholic..maybe he's not. Does anybody on here know?

Skip reported the following: "He believes strongly in God, and that he's at Loras for a reason,"

Either way, Brad's faith directed him to his new job at a Catholic university. However, it wasn't important enough when selecting a high school for his son. The quality of the coach was more important. Brad can do what he wants, but I'll stand by my position that it's a little odd. Brad made enough money to live wherever he wanted and afford whatever high school he wanted.

Yes, Brad is Catholic. In fact, I'd say that he appears to be a rather devout Catholic who frequently attended weekday Mass at 7 am at St. Cletus Catholic Church - his parish and only 1 mile from his St. Charles home. I know this because my parents also are parishioners who also attended Mass at the same time. While the head coach at SLU, my folks were able to say hello and make small talk. Following his firing, Brad continued to attend Mass most days but would leave a just a bit early so as not having to talk with anyone. While I'm sure many people were kind to him, Brad had to be a bit embarrassed and tired of having to say "No, I haven't sold my home yet" and "No, I don't know where I will be next year".

While not the same, I am reminded of another really nice guy and devout Catholic who did not succeed at the D-1 level - Gerry Foust at ND.

Yes, Brad is Catholic. In fact, I'd say that he appears to be a rather devout Catholic who frequently attended weekday Mass at 7 am at St. Cletus Catholic Church - his parish and only 1 mile from his St. Charles home. I know this because my parents also are parishioners who also attended Mass at the same time. While the head coach at SLU, my folks were able to say hello and make small talk. Following his firing, Brad continued to attend Mass most days but would leave a just a bit early so as not having to talk with anyone. While I'm sure many people were kind to him, Brad had to be a bit embarrassed and tired of having to say "No, I haven't sold my home yet" and "No, I don't know where I will be next year".

While not the same, I am reminded of another really nice guy and devout Catholic who did not succeed at the D-1 level - Gerry Foust at ND.

Again, to each his own. I'm still surprised someone so devout wouldn't send his kids to a Catholic school when there are so many in this town. I guess that Brad might have chosen St. Chuck while he was an assistant and not making good money. Maybe they didn't feel like moving and didn't like the options out there.

Again, to each his own. I'm still surprised someone so devout wouldn't send his kids to a Catholic school when there are so many in this town. I guess that Brad might have chosen St. Chuck while he was an assistant and not making good money. Maybe they didn't feel like moving and didn't like the options out there.

The catholic schools in St. Louis are primarily elitist academies that aren't as good in basketball as they think they are...very different from the catholic school Brad attended and his dad coached at in Stevens Point Wisconsin.

When you ask someone that grew up in St. Louis "where they went to high school" you are not looking to find out what color letter jacket they have in their closet.

The catholic schools in St. Louis are primarily elitist academies that aren't as good in basketball as they think they are...very different from the catholic school Brad attended and his dad coached at in Stevens Point Wisconsin.

When you ask someone that grew up in St. Louis "where they went to high school" you are not looking to find out what color letter jacket they have in their closet.

I hate the what high school did you attend question, the elitism that comes with it, and how it makes many outsiders feel unwelcomed. That said, we have some very good catholic high schools with good basketball coaches not that far away from where Brad lived. It was Brad's right to send his kid where he wanted to, but I can understand some having a problem with the decision. When you are being paid a large amount of money from a catholic educational institution, it doesn't look all that great when you don't think the high school ones in town are good enough for your son. It was little stuff like this that started to add up with Brad. He choice to live out in the far suburbs wasn't exactly him giving a ringing endorsement to SLU's campus location or the city itself.

You all are barking up the wrong tree. Brad Soderberg's religion, residence, and choice of where to send his kids to school had nothing to do with his lack of success and firing. Very succinctly, it comes down to this:

5 yrs of 0 NCAA Tournament appearances + $80,000,000 new arena opening in a year = no BS

I wish we still had Lorenzo Romar, and if Washington had made better decisions a decade ago, he'd still be here, but we don't. I also believe Soderberg would have SLU's program as a respectable program, at least, if the administration were patient, but they (ahem, Biondi and perhaps some other influential donors/boosters) weren't. I feel bad for Brad. Now we're hoping to catch lightning in a bottle with Rick Majerus and are having to pay the piper a bit.

You all are barking up the wrong tree. Brad Soderberg's religion, residence, and choice of where to send his kids to school had nothing to do with his lack of success and firing. Very succinctly, it comes down to this:

5 yrs of 0 NCAA Tournament appearances + $80,000,000 new arena opening in a year = no BS

I wish we still had Lorenzo Romar, and if Washington had made better decisions a decade ago, he'd still be here, but we don't. I also believe Soderberg would have SLU's program as a respectable program, at least, if the administration were patient, but they (ahem, Biondi and perhaps some other influential donors/boosters) weren't. I feel bad for Brad. Now we're hoping to catch lightning in a bottle with Rick Majerus and are having to pay the piper a bit.

I'd be surprised if Romar's star at Washington isn't dimming quite a bit lately his RPI working backwards for the last 4 years. 121, 81, 35, 3. After his early success, he hasn't been able to maintain it, while Washington St has had a couple of very good years.

He must have had some intention on leaving before he was "deep" in talks ... otherwise it never would have progressed to that point. I highly doubt anyone on this board knows wheher or not Romar had feelers out on the West Coast for a job .... and really who cares, he's gone

Washington first offered the job to Snyder (from the wealthy suburb of Mercer Island), he toyed with it but turned them down. Then they went to Dan Monson, then at Minnesota and seemingly on the rise there; he took the job, then the next morning back out. Then, among others, they called Romar. They originally didn't think he wanted to leave and only contacted him because he had played there (but never coached there). The rest is history.