soderberg on kfns at 11:30 am

His success or failure had nothing to do with where he lived, where he sent his kids to school, or any of the nonsense that has been floating around on this thread. Using your logic then any big state university college coach who sends his kids a private school will not be able to sell recruits on coming to State U. As I said, just plain silly.

It is easier to sell a big state university in a big conference than it is to sell SLU in the A-10. Again what was Brad trying to sell here that he believed in? What was he trying to offer that could seperate SLU from MU, SIU, Bradley, Creighton or MSU? If he didn't believe in what he was trying to sell it makes it a lot harder to sell it.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is easier to sell a big state university in a big conference than it is to sell SLU in the A-10. Again what was Brad trying to sell here that he believed in? What was he trying to offer that could seperate SLU from MU, SIU, Bradley, Creighton or MSU? If he didn't believe in what he was trying to sell it makes it a lot harder to sell it.

What he was selling was a chance at a good education and you can get a good education at lots of places both public and private. He also was selling himself and that was probably his toughest hurdle.

he was going to bring kramer to slu. so not sure what you are talking about. his job was to sell saint louis university, not desmet or sluh.

and i cant imagine for a second that being an advantage for an opposing coach with a potential recruit.

I'm surprised Kramer didn't go to Belleville West for their honors program. ;)

What was Brad selling when he was selling SLU?

He couldn't sell the Catholic education, because he proved that didn't matter to his family. He couldn't sell the city. It is hard to do that when it is not good enough for you. He couldn't sell a history of winning basketball. He couldn't sell outstanding facilities. He couldn't sell an exciting brand of basketball.

Brian,

I agree with a lot of what you're posting. There was absolutely nothing "sexy" about Brad when he was hired...I made posts to that end at the time. He was a safe, CHEAP choice. That's exactly what Biondi wanted at that time.

While I don't think where Brad lived and sent his kids to school had a direct impact on his recruiting and performace, I can see where it at least indirectly hurt him. He obviously did really buy in to what he was selling. That's why I find it ironic to hear him talking about his faith.

As I posted earlier in this thread, maybe Brad was already in St. Chuck as an assistant and didn't feel like moving. If that's the case, then he shouldn't talk about the importance of his faith when it comes to his career...at least without acknowledging that it was less important when it came to educating his kids.

Brian,

I agree with a lot of what you're posting. There was absolutely nothing "sexy" about Brad when he was hired...I made posts to that end at the time. He was a safe, CHEAP choice. That's exactly what Biondi wanted at that time.

While I don't think where Brad lived and sent his kids to school had a direct impact on his recruiting and performace, I can see where it at least indirectly hurt him. He obviously did really buy in to what he was selling. That's why I find it ironic to hear him talking about his faith.

As I posted earlier in this thread, maybe Brad was already in St. Chuck as an assistant and didn't feel like moving. If that's the case, then he shouldn't talk about the importance of his faith when it comes to his career...at least without acknowledging that it was less important when it came to educating his kids.

Here's an old article that gives us some perspective:

http://www.youngsaintlouis.com/archive/Feb...ids/sports.html

Brad is a devout catholic...I heard that he attended mass nearly every day while at SLU, including when he was on the road trips. He would find a church near the team hotel and go early in the morning.

Here's an old article that gives us some perspective:

http://www.youngsaintlouis.com/archive/Feb...ids/sports.html

Brad is a devout catholic...I heard that he attended mass nearly every day while at SLU, including when he was on the road trips. He would find a church near the team hotel and go early in the morning.

That's my point. He's "devout", but not devout enough to choose Catholic education over a basketball coach. Hey, most Catholics (or people of any religion for that matter) are cafeteria Catholics. There's no rule that says you have to send your kids to a Catholic school, but it rings hollow when you don't send your kids to Catholic schools even when you make more than enough money to do so.

When Brad was recruiting kids he was a salesman. He decisions on both where to live and where to send Kramer to school show a lack of faith in what he was trying to sell to kids. Catholic education wasn't important enough for his own son in high school. Living anywhere close to the school didn't seem like a good idea for Brad and his family. I am not buying what that salesman is trying to sell.

Brian you hit it on the head with a 100% hindsight. However, with a break here or there in recruiting to follow up TL and KL we would have had a scencario where Kramer was coming to SLU and all was forgiven. The big deal just did not happen however, he did not catch fire in a tourney like Romar-he did not have the country charm of Spoon and he just won what he was expected to win against pretty unattractive competition. With $80,000,000 to burn on a new arena

it meant getting a Big Name and Rick Majerus had just finished two years on ESPN.

By the way Memphis which is in our locale pays Calipari a ton more money and I will bet RM is barely a top 50 coach in college based on pay alone

We have a 4 page thread on an ex-coach not living near our school or sending his kid to a private catholic school when the owner of our message board doesn't go to SLU or have season tickets.

You are too amusing to ban at this point. ;)

I'm surprised Kramer didn't go to Belleville West for their honors program. ;)

if they had chosen to live on this side of the river that would have been the right decision.