Brad to Loras College as Interim AD?

Still looking for an official announcement, but I'm hearing that Brad and the family have already moved to Dubuque where he accepted a one-year contract to be interim athletic director at Loras College.

All things considered, that's not a bad gig for him. He was an assistant there and then head coach from 1988-1993. I know a few former Duhawks, and from what I hear he was a pretty well liked guy around there. Hopefully they make the announcement soon.

All things considered, that's not a bad gig for him. He was an assistant there and then head coach from 1988-1993. I know a few former Duhawks, and from what I hear he was a pretty well liked guy around there. Hopefully they make the announcement soon.

I hope that's true. It'd be a good gig for Brad.

i think brad would be a great AD. first, obviously he would transcend the right message about college athletics and what it should be (not what it has become at a lot of schools that have priorities messed up). second he has been on actual coaching side of the fence and can relate to the coaches issues better, and last, he is a wonderful personality that is just hard not to like imo. that should relate well to boosters and the community. good luck to brad!

Good luck to Brad. I am not familiar with Loras. Is it a Catholic univesrity? D2 or D3?

Assuming the reports about him declining the Detroit job are true, this is an interesting different direction he elected to take.

i believe loras is a d3 catholic university. not 100% sure, but pretty sure. maybe it was and has changed.

i think brad would be a great AD. first, obviously he would transcend the right message about college athletics and what it should be (not what it has become at a lot of schools that have priorities messed up). second he has been on actual coaching side of the fence and can relate to the coaches issues better, and last, he is a wonderful personality that is just hard not to like imo. that should relate well to boosters and the community. good luck to brad!

I also wish him luck but do you really think he has the personality to be an AD? He was always kind of uncomfortable with the schmoozing part. Maybe things are low key enough at Loras that it does not matter but I am sure he still has to be able to raise some money.

I agree with Cheeseman's sentiment. He does not have the personality to be AD. Maybe at DIII but not ready for prime time at all. You gotta' be a salesman for your program and inspire people to support the program. He doesn't do that. Maybe you guys saw a different side but in the limited time, I was around him he was lacking in that skill.

However, I'm glad he won't be hanging out in the St. Chuck unemployment line anymore. Who says were in a recession?

I agree with Cheeseman's sentiment. He does not have the personality to be AD. Maybe at DIII but not ready for prime time at all. You gotta' be a salesman for your program and inspire people to support the program. He doesn't do that. Maybe you guys saw a different side but in the limited time, I was around him he was lacking in that skill.

However, I'm glad he won't be hanging out in the St. Chuck unemployment line anymore. Who says were in a recession?

Ah did Doug Woolard have that kind of personality? Brad will be fine.

Loras is a deeply Catholic institution (much more so than alma mater). If Brad's the choice, I bet his faith (and his practice thereof) played as much into the decision as his athletic background. It may actually be a perfect fit.

Its a great place for Brad right now....he will probably like it there and stay for a long time.

fyi, Loras's president is married to Brad's sister.

I don't like the connection with the nepotism here. Otherwise, I wish him the best of luck. What exactly does "interim" mean? One and done? One and we'll reevaluate this time next year? One and if you do well, the full time job is yours?

I don't like the connection with the nepotism here. Otherwise, I wish him the best of luck. What exactly does "interim" mean? One and done? One and we'll reevaluate this time next year? One and if you do well, the full time job is yours?

I'm guessing the "interim" title shows that both sides are filling a need with the intent of finding a more long-term solution after this year. Brad probably doesn't want to be a DIII AD any longer than he has to, and Loras wants someone to do a good job this year because they didn't find anyone else to fill the long-term need. I would have been surprised if he signed anything but a one-year contract.

I'm guessing the "interim" title shows that both sides are filling a need with the intent of finding a more long-term solution after this year. Brad probably doesn't want to be a DIII AD any longer than he has to, and Loras wants someone to do a good job this year because they didn't find anyone else to fill the long-term need. I would have been surprised if he signed anything but a one-year contract.

Is Soderberg only willing to take a position if it as a head coach? I would think if he wants to coach at any program at or above the level of SLU he will have to start looking at being an assistant. Brad is a very likeable guy and has a good basketball mind so I am really surprised to see him still out of coaching. At least taking this position at Loras will get him a paycheck and it brings him back to a place that he is familiar with.

According to Kramer:

What is your dad doing now?

Right now he is still checking options. Most likely he will end up being the A.D. at Loras College which is a Division III school in Dubuque, Iowa. That is most likely what is going to happen. There are some options in basketball, but right now it looks like the Dubuque, Iowa A.D. at least one year and then try to get back into coaching after that.

Source:

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=2&c=766982

Here is the announcement:

http://www.loras.edu/athletics/

SP. Thanks for the link.

Best of luck to Brad. As most would agree, few guys bring more energy, passion and honesty to a job than Brad. This sounds like a great job in which he will earn much needed cash for his family, allow him time to watch Kramer play (as an AD v. a HC) while being selective before taking another head coaching job.