OT: This would be terrible for the area

Skip I can tell you are an Air Force guy you were probably in Hahn or Bitburg. Bitburg is alright. For my $ in Germany I'll get some fresh Warsteiner (doesn't taste the same in the US) or some Paulaner vom FaB. If I want a Kristall WeiBbeir I get Erdinger or Shoferhofer. I once had a 30 minute discussion with a German (in Germany) about how I couldn't compare Warsteiner to a Kristall WeiBbier because they were two completely different things. The guy wouldn't quit till I saw it his way. They take bier seriously, Rheinheitsgebot and all that.

Anyway, the micro brew has cut into alot of the big companies sales although many of the "micro brews" we buy are actually made by many of the big companies. It would be sad to see the last large American owned brewery to no longer be fully American. However, I think the difference is negligible to St. Louis as the HQ would probably stay there. They may make some commotion so that the state and or city makes some compensation for them.

We need to scrape our money together and buy that Belgium waffle company and see how they like it out in Waterloo (which is a nice place to visit).

Spangdahlem ... but imo Bit is the worlds best beer. If it's not available and it usually isn't I'll next try Pilsner Urquel or Grolsch as they are a little more readily available here. I'm not a big Warsteiner fan, but will certainly drink it before any Major American brewed beer. Beer is really regional there, there's just so much good beer. I like some Microbrew's but I'll always opt European 1st. I just don't like any of the major american beers though, unless they are Ice, Ice Cold and then maybe 1. No Bock or Stout for me either, just a good Pilsner or occasionaly a WeiBbier.

No German beer taste the same here as it has preservatives.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You will have to show my the source for your information--I don't recall this region ever having anywhere close to 20 Fortune 500 companies. Actually, I believe that in 1995 we ranked 7th in the nation for number of Fortune 500 companies. Today (depending upon how a "city" is defined), we rank between 5th and 8th in the nation for Fortune 500 companies. The names are different, but companies such as SBC, Boeing, and Nestle Purina are still among the largest employers in the region and are no longer reflected on St. Louis's list. My point is that the number of Fortune 500 companies or the public status of a company (Cargill and Mars are both private, but are among the largest companies in the nation) is not a good indicator of the economic health of a region. The only people who should care whether a large, successful company is public or private are the public accountants and securities lawyers. What is most important is the number of stable and decent-paying jobs. In that regard, I do not believe St. Louis is any worse off than it was a decade ago.

My bad David. The number that I saw earlier was Fortune 1000 companies. It was a Dow Jones article from the time of the Ralston merger.

http://www.mindfully.org/Industry/Mergers-FewerHQs.htm

Private companies have no incentive to release financial information. Public companies only release financial information because they are required to in order to be listed on respected stock exchanges. As a private company, why would I want to release financials, so that my competition can get access to it.

maybe if someone has some info on it they might want to look at the SAB/Miller deal that went down a number of years ago - perhaps this would be a similar arrangement? I know that SAB left corporate operations in Milwaukee and the deal actually strengthened Miller's distribution world wide (not an issue for AB). Since then Miller and Molson/Coors have partnered as well.

It makes you wonder if Auggie Busch would turn his back on the loyal city of Saint Louis, and forever turn millions of people against the Busch clan.

Could the Cardinals be playing in INBEV Stadium eventually?

Why would that be bad? Almost every stadium and arena in USA serves AB products. We finally may now get some real beer.

Some years back I spent some time in Namur, Belgium. Every day I used to go this place called the Lunch Garden for lunch. The food was okay but the highlight was you could pour your own Jupiler or Hoegaarden Beers. Both are IBEV products. I would kill to get those beers at the two stadiums I frequent (McCormick Stadium in Asheville and Hank Aaron Stadium in Mobile) to serve those beers on tap for the 'thirsty Thursdays'. ;)

There is no such person as "Auggie Busch."

He may not want to be called Auggie now, but when we were in college and had classes together, a lot of his friends and acquaintances called him Auggie. I know that August Busch, Jr. was referred to as Gussie and I have no idea what three sticks goes by, but the IV went by Auggie, at least in college.

He may not want to be called Auggie now, but when we were in college and had classes together, a lot of his friends and acquaintances called him Auggie. I know that August Busch, Jr. was referred to as Gussie and I have no idea what three sticks goes by, but the IV went by Auggie, at least in college.

Three Sticks in formal usage generally went by "August" or "Mr. Busch," at least when I got close enough to hear such stuff. Informally on Pestalozzi, he was "Auggie Daddy" and the IVth was "Auggie Doggie," but never to their faces, of course. I'll have to ask the only person I know on a first-name basis with him what he calls him.

The general public often refers to "Auggie Busch" when they mean Gussie, much the same way that non-Chicagoans refer to "Soldier's Field."

But everyone knew him as Nancy. :lol:

I brought this up in the Rams post yesterday and the Post has a story about it online now. AB's days maybe numbered.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/business/...1E?OpenDocument

The Wall Street Journal is reporting both Bush's against the merger. With the dollar weak against the Euro how can the merger be prevented? According to the WSJ the defensive strategy is for

AB to buy Corolla for 10 Billion. This will then make them to expensive to be purchased in In Bev.

The loss of SWB to San Antonia is not so much jobs, but contributions to the local community.

That's what happens when you spend decades resting on your laurels and your Fortune 500 headquarters instead of emphasizing small business growth and encouraging new industries.

That is compelling on it's face, but not true in the sense you mean. The City of St. Louis and the metro area are collections of citizens on one hand and government entities on the other. The latter are notoriously bad at predicting economic trends and betting on them and shouldn't do so. They should enact a pro-business agenda which respects small and medium sized businesses actively and behemoths as much as they can. They should increase the freedom of their citizens and limit as much governmental interference as they can, while providing rational services.

If you're talking about how the average citizen has not been entrepreneurial enough, you may be right, but AB has zilch to do with it.

If they are bought and their corporate face changes, it will impact the average citizen zilch. Perhaps AB rested on it's laurels to be outsized and outflanked by a competitior, but I have no knowledge of that industry.

That is compelling on it's face, but not true in the sense you mean. The City of St. Louis and the metro area are collections of citizens on one hand and government entities on the other. The latter are notoriously bad at predicting economic trends and betting on them and shouldn't do so. They should enact a pro-business agenda which respects small and medium sized businesses actively and behemoths as much as they can. They should increase the freedom of their citizens and limit as much governmental interference as they can, while providing rational services.

If you're talking about how the average citizen has not been entrepreneurial enough, you may be right, but AB has zilch to do with it.

If they are bought and their corporate face changes, it will impact the average citizen zilch. Perhaps AB rested on it's laurels to be outsized and outflanked by a competitior, but I have no knowledge of that industry.

AB was not as aggressive expanding globally as they could have been. When the US beer market flattened they were sort of left holding the bag. The price of the Euro/dollar is just part of it - the real problem is that AB can not survive as they have in this global market. They can buy Corona - Modella - if they want but if In Bev has made up their mind there is probably nothing AB can do to stop it. Once In Bev goes directly to the stock owners it will all be over but the shouting. No way the stock owners will pass up a 40% over market per share offer - when this first broke AB stock was selling for $46 not what is listed now after the news hit. I have been through these hostile buyouts before as a stock owner and nobody wins except those who take the bait early.

AB was not as aggressive expanding globally as they could have been. When the US beer market flattened they were sort of left holding the bag. The price of the Euro/dollar is just part of it - the real problem is that AB can not survive as they have in this global market. They can buy Corona - Modella - if they want but if In Bev has made up their mind there is probably nothing AB can do to stop it. Once In Bev goes directly to the stock owners it will all be over but the shouting. No way the stock owners will pass up a 40% over market per share offer - when this first broke AB stock was selling for $46 not what is listed now after the news hit. I have been through these hostile buyouts before as a stock owner and nobody wins except those who take the bait early.

Purchasing the remainig half of Grupo Modelo that AB doesn't own would not only jack up the price that InBev would have to pay to take over AB, but would also add debt to AB's books wish InBev in theory doesn't want to take on. That is one reason they are attracted to AB in the first place.

Purchasing the remainig half of Grupo Modelo that AB doesn't own would not only jack up the price that InBev would have to pay to take over AB, but would also add debt to AB's books wish InBev in theory doesn't want to take on. That is one reason they are attracted to AB in the first place.

True on all accounts but In Bev needs AB's distribution system in the USA to make their mark here where they are weak. As I said, if In Bev makes up their mind to buy AB nothing AB does will stop them. Truth be told, AB stockholders should be worried about AB taking on the debt for buying Modello - the company might stave off the hostile take over bu be left with a high debt that will lower stock prices. This has trouble written all over it.

True on all accounts but In Bev needs AB's distribution system in the USA to make their mark here where they are weak. As I said, if In Bev makes up their mind to buy AB nothing AB does will stop them. Truth be told, AB stockholders should be worried about AB taking on the debt for buying Modello - the company might stave off the hostile take over bu be left with a high debt that will lower stock prices. This has trouble written all over it.

I agree with you. I am just saying we haven't heard the last of this. The IV is going to put up a fight. I also think as somebody that has a very small amount of AB shares this deal isn't everything that is built up to be. If It would have been nice if this offer would have been made a year ago, but with the falling value of the dollar this offer isn't even close to what it appears to be at first look.

As a Floridian and former A-B employee, I would wonder what might happen to the theme parks. It has been my understanding that Busch Entertainment is in the process of moving from St. Louis to Orlando, FL. I would think that InBev would really only want the beer company. This will be interesting to follow. I own very few A-B shares and I left the company over a decade ago so it really makes very little difference to me. I still have some friends that work at A-B and I will be interested in their reaction this week.

The Wall Street Journal is reporting both Bush's against the merger. With the dollar weak against the Euro how can the merger be prevented? According to the WSJ the defensive strategy is for

AB to buy Corolla for 10 Billion. This will then make them to expensive to be purchased in In Bev.

The loss of SWB to San Antonia is not so much jobs, but contributions to the local community.

Are you just trying to be silly here?

Bush=Busch (August, not George)

Corolla=Corona (beer maker, not Toyata)

Antonia=Antonio (boy, not girl)

Are you just trying to be silly here?

Bush=Busch (August, not George)

Corolla=Corona (beer maker, not Toyata)

Antonia=Antonio (boy, not girl)

Additional information: Both Busch3 and 4 are adamantly opposed to a take over by In Bev. However, the two companies are considered a good combination. In Bev is strong is Europe and Brazil. AB is strong in the US and China, two places where In Bev is weak. AB is weak in Europe and Brazil. 4 does not want the company taken over while he is in charge. However, the family owns less than 4% of the stock. Buying Corona is one option. However, it sounds like there is negotiation taking place regarding relative strengths of the two after a merger. AB vulnerability to merger is blamed on 3 as he had opportunity to expand thru mergers, but declined to do so when he was in charge. In Bev persued mergers and this is how they came to be larger than AB. What is prompting further mergers is the joining of Millers with Coors. AB will still be the leading brewer in the US and Bud Light will still be the #1 brew in the world, but the competition will be more formidable.

The above was gathered from the WSJ today. It is of interest to Billiken fans because of AB's contributions to the school. The merger has the potential of putting contributions at risk.

Additional information: Both Busch3 and 4 are adamantly opposed to a take over by In Bev. However, the two companies are considered a good combination. In Bev is strong is Europe and Brazil. AB is strong in the US and China, two places where In Bev is weak. AB is weak in Europe and Brazil. 4 does not want the company taken over while he is in charge. However, the family owns less than 4% of the stock. Buying Corona is one option. However, it sounds like there is negotiation taking place regarding relative strengths of the two after a merger. AB vulnerability to merger is blamed on 3 as he had opportunity to expand thru mergers, but declined to do so when he was in charge. In Bev persued mergers and this is how they came to be larger than AB. What is prompting further mergers is the joining of Millers with Coors. AB will still be the leading brewer in the US and Bud Light will still be the #1 brew in the world, but the competition will be more formidable.

The above was gathered from the WSJ today. It is of interest to Billiken fans because of AB's contributions to the school. The merger has the potential of putting contributions at risk.

I'm just looking forward to: "The Residences at INBEV Farm" From the $600's--New Luxury Homes and Condominium Units complete with baby goats and two complimentary INBEV adult beverages per visit.

Yikes!

Goddam Belgian company will buy AB.

St. Louis has gone down the tubes, and the whole USA is just "Sears", used to be the only place to get everything, now we are just "another store", falling further and further behind. With the new global economy, several countries can compete at our level, several more on the way. We blew it. Bucknered it.

Most anyone can copy anything we do quickly and more inexpensively. Our diversity used to be our strength, now it is a weakness. Other countries have workers willing (or forced to) work far cheaper while we have fat-ass housewives driving around in huge SUV's all day, 3-4 cars per family, and everyone has a cell phone and cable, even on welfare, etc.....

BUT if we can somehow just get one more solid "big" for next fall, though, things will be looking up.

St. Louis has gone down the tubes, and the whole USA is just "Sears", used to be the only place to get everything, now we are just "another store", falling further and further behind. With the new global economy, several countries can compete at our level, several more on the way. We blew it. Bucknered it.

Most anyone can copy anything we do quickly and more inexpensively. Our diversity used to be our strength, now it is a weakness. Other countries have workers willing (or forced to) work far cheaper while we have fat-ass housewives driving around in huge SUV's all day, 3-4 cars per family, and everyone has a cell phone and cable, even on welfare, etc.....

BUT if we can somehow just get one more solid "big" for next fall, though, things will be looking up.

Good lord dude.....time for another "vitamin P." We can still dream it and let the Chinese build it and do ok.

History has also shown that most people will not continue to work for pennies indefinately even in a semi-free society. China as low cost builder for the world will not last forever......

At least we got some nice pub in a recent article on The Fourth:

He returned to Missouri, where his academic career took a decided upturn despite a couple of further run-ins with the law. He received a bachelor's degree with honours in finance from Saint Louis University – a Jesuit school known for its rigour – followed by a Master's in business administration.

http://business.scotsman.com/business/US-b...-nip.4139740.jp

actually, they are more of a Brazilian company. Interesting article in the Wall Street Journal last week about INBEV - disturbing too if they do "merge" with AB. When they merged with the Belgian company, interbrew, that produces Stella (the Belgian Budweiser!) and other beers, originally the agreement was to have HQ's in both Belgium and Brazil but instead INBEV has engaged in massive cost cutting on the Belgian end and is basically shifting operations to Brazil - WSJ referred to INBEV, run by former bankers, as "ruthless." Another comment from the Belgian end was that "originally it was to be Belgian-Brazilian, then it was Brazilian-Belgian, now is it a Brazilian company." I don't trust these guys, they want the AB name and brand, and I fear they will gut the AB STL division of the new company. I hope AB rejects this bid, for the good of the company and STL.

actually, they are more of a Brazilian company. Interesting article in the Wall Street Journal last week about INBEV - disturbing too if they do "merge" with AB. When they merged with the Belgian company, interbrew, that produces Stella (the Belgian Budweiser!) and other beers, originally the agreement was to have HQ's in both Belgium and Brazil but instead INBEV has engaged in massive cost cutting on the Belgian end and is basically shifting operations to Brazil - WSJ referred to INBEV, run by former bankers, as "ruthless." Another comment from the Belgian end was that "originally it was to be Belgian-Brazilian, then it was Brazilian-Belgian, now is it a Brazilian company." I don't trust these guys, they want the AB name and brand, and I fear they will gut the AB STL division of the new company. I hope AB rejects this bid, for the good of the company and STL.

The brewery in St. Louis is AB's oldest and most expensive to operate. It will be on InBev chopping block. InBev has a hisrtory of taking over breweries and cutting cost dramatically. The guys running InBev are great at that. They haven't been as good at running operations after that or increasing market share after taking over.

I don't trust these guys, they want the AB name and brand, and I fear they will gut the AB STL division of the new company. I hope AB rejects this bid, for the good of the company and STL.

If III and IV don't trust them either maybe that's why they're supporting the poison pill option.

I agree. I have been reading articles about InBev and it wasnt pretty how they handled the merger with the Belgian company. This will be a hostile takeover and there really isnt anything AB can do about it. Once InBev gets AB they will cut expenses drastically including everything from charitable donations, high-end jobs, and maybe even the brewery in St. Louis. It will take a miracle for this deal not to happen unfortunetly.

Edit: Brian you beat me to it

actually, they are more of a Brazilian company.

I wonder how much foregin aid the US has given Brazil over the years?

Now a Brazilian company is going to buy a top St. Louis, USA company, leverage operations, and lay off good SL, USA people.

Brilliant.