Majerus: "Ruben's speed and quickness are especially attractive"

I've seen him three times now...He's not explosive off the dribble if that is what you mean by quick. I think he has some of the fastest hands I've seen in a High School Basketball player, seems to get a few steals every game when players dribble up the court. He is not going to blow by guys and score going to the basket in the 1/2 court, I haven't seen this once from him. On the break he's magnificent as a passer or as a finisher-he has a mess of different moves.

By far the fastest and best hands I have ever seen on a high school basketball player were those of Jeremy Maclin when he played at Kirkwood. I only saw a game or two but his hands were amazing. But that isnt really surprising since his hands are part of the reason why he was an AA this year

I was kind of surpised by those comments also. Again, athletically he reminded me of Drejaj, but with much better fundamentals.

Of course, you could argue that Drejaj played the game fast and did some things very quickly. He had quick hands that would allow him to take the ball from opposing players, could harass pgs that looked much faster than him, and would drive by those same players on the offensive end.

I also don't want to sound like we should not sign Ruben. He can come down and shoot 23 foot 3's!

But I also like PE and to me there are a lot of similarities. Maybe not the riduculous range, but PE can shoot it.

cotto, is stronger, a better passer a far better shooter has much faster hands, will guard on the ball better, the only thing i can think of that eckerle might do better is help his teamates with their homework.

i have seen cotto a lot. and seriously the one thing that eckerle does that cotto needs to develop is the effort at the highest level that paul plays all the time. i am thinking the knock on cotto is a result of watching him take plays off, not play defense all the time at the level he is capable of. but i have seen cotto make some steals and drives that average high school athletes cant dream of. if cotto has a weakness it is knowing and putting out that extreme effort all the time. if there is any coach that can instill that, one would think rickma is the man.

BTW, RM mentions in the Post Dispatch's article today"

Majerus called Cotto competitive and said he thinks Cott can play either guard position.

Seems like his good and long-range outside shooting allows him to play the 2 while his size, speed, quickness and ballhandling allows him to play the PG. Immediate competition for KM. Won't it be nice to require the other teams to not only guard our PG (unlike these past few years) but also to guard him 25 feet out at the top of the key? TL and KL have to have smiles on their faces with this signing.

BTW, RM mentions in the Post Dispatch's article today"

Majerus called Cotto competitive and said he thinks Cott can play either guard position.

Seems like his good and long-range outside shooting allows him to play the 2 while his size, speed, quickness and ballhandling allows him to play the PG. Immediate competition for KM. Won't it be nice to require the other teams to not only guard our PG (unlike these past few years) but also to guard him 25 feet out at the top of the key? TL and KL have to have smiles on their faces with this signing.

Thing that impresses me most about him, never having seen him play, is he seems genuinely excited to be a Billiken.

Thing that impresses me most about him, never having seen him play, is he seems genuinely excited to be a Billiken.

He's crazier than a $h!thouse rat about being a Billiken. You could tell watching him walk around at the open house that he loves the place, and just can't wait to play. Also, I think if Ruben and Kwamain come in and really stretch defenses from the PG spot, Kevin and Tommie are going to go nuts out there. Not to bash Polk, but it hurt terribly for every team to show him no respect, and everyone else suffered. That won't happen anymore. I think Cotto and Mitchell could potentially be our two best recruits, at least initially, and they're both PGs. That is GREAT news.

Cotto may not be the quickest guard by the naked eye, but when he wants to get to the basket, he does it any time he wants. What also helps is that he has such great shooting range that you have to play up on him a little more, which allows more room for the drive.

bad boyz for life

I thought 3Star and others were saying that Ruben was real slow and had no quickness.

With you, David it always seems to be one extreme or another. If I say Ruben isn't a speedster and has problems taking his guy off the dribble, you somehow read this as "Ruben is real slow and has no quickness". Well Stephen Curry isn't a speedster either but no sane person would equate that to being "real slow with no quickness".

If I say that we have 3 big recruits (pre-Cotto) not 5, you snap "3star hates all things Majerus."

I proud myself on being detail-oriented not extremist and I'd be happy to debate those details with you. There's no reason to set up strawmen.

4.1 steals a game.... thats a lot of steals

His pick of Suggs? I think at the Riverwar game was beautiful, around midcourt he deaked him one way and just picked the ball completely clean without a hint of contact for a layup. Maybe I'm off base, or just have a faulty memory as I don't watch much NBA, but doesn't anyone else think Jameer Nelson.

His pick of Suggs? I think at the Riverwar game was beautiful, around midcourt he deaked him one way and just picked the ball completely clean without a hint of contact for a layup. Maybe I'm off base, or just have a faulty memory as I don't watch much NBA, but doesn't anyone else think Jameer Nelson.

He looks like him and is built like him

In terms of quick hands, yep.

at the open house cotto had the biggest smile, really, ear to ear all the time

he showed great joy at being in the Fits

Guest BillikenReport

Kwamain and Ruben will give SLU a much-needed offensive threat at the PG spot next season.

I've heard varying reports on Kwamain's ability to shoot it from the perimeter, but if he can drive and kick or drive and create he'll be a big asset. Ruben will shoot it from anywhere and most of the time it looks like it's going to go in.

I like Polk, but there were so many times this season it looked like SLU was playing four on five on offense. With the lack of a true post threat or point guard who could shoot, it was a lot easier to defend Liddell and Lisch.