Are we better off losing on Saturday?

kshoe

Timmerman's blog discussed seeding scenarios and admittedly there are too many variations to even consider but the key point is this:

- a loss on Saturday and we could be the 10, 11 or 12 seed with 10 or 11 being the most likely.

- a win on Saturday and we can be anywhere from a 5 through a 9 seed.

I think most of us would agree we want to stay away from Xavier for as long as possible. Pretty much every other team we would face would be a coin flip type game. With a 10 or 11 seed we wouldn't face X unitl the finals but a 8 or 9 means we get them in the 2nd round and 5 means we get them in the semis.

Nobody ever wants to lose but in this case it wouldn't be the worst thing.

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/billiken-...e-in-the-a-500/

Timmerman's blog discussed seeding scenarios and admittedly there are too many variations to even consider but the key point is this:

- a loss on Saturday and we could be the 10, 11 or 12 seed with 10 or 11 being the most likely.

- a win on Saturday and we can be anywhere from a 5 through a 9 seed.

I think most of us would agree we want to stay away from Xavier for as long as possible. Pretty much every other team we would face would be a coin flip type game. With a 10 or 11 seed we wouldn't face X unitl the finals but a 8 or 9 means we get them in the 2nd round and 5 means we get them in the semis.

Nobody ever wants to lose but in this case it wouldn't be the worst thing.

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/billiken-...e-in-the-a-500/

No.

I think our chances against Xavier are better the earlier we play them in the tournament. The further along we play them in the tournament the more their depth advantage is multiplied.

No.

I think our chances against Xavier are better the earlier we play them in the tournament. The further along we play them in the tournament the more their depth advantage is multiplied.

(Sorry about the post screw up)

No.

Good point. I think the days rest issue comes into play as well, though and the 3rd round is always the hardest for a team having to play four games against a team with a bye (that is, playing your 3rd day in a row when you are really feeling it against a team that is only playing their 2nd day in a row).

Also, for purely selfish reasons; the 8-9 game is at 12 noon! It will be killer to get to Atlantic City by that time next Wednesday.

No.

That is a fair point but I'd argue the further away X is in your bracket the less chance that you'll have to play them at all. I would hope that if we played them in the Finals, dead legs wouldn't be an issue as our boys would see the prize at the end of the tunnel...

That is a fair point but I'd argue the further away X is in your bracket the less chance that you'll have to play them at all. I would hope that if we played them in the Finals, dead legs wouldn't be an issue as our boys would see the prize at the end of the tunnel...

Good points.

I'm afraid the same thing that happened last year will happen this year....we will be way too tired for it to matter. If we were too tired to play St. Bonnie on Senior Day, I have a hard time believing we'll have the energy to beat X in the finals. That being said, if we can at least make it to the finals (probably requiring we don't run into X along the way), we have a better chance of making the NIT. So, my vote would be to avoid X as long as possible.

I'm afraid the same thing that happened last year will happen this year....we will be way too tired for it to matter. If we were too tired to play St. Bonnie on Senior Day, I have a hard time believing we'll have the energy to beat X in the finals. That being said, if we can at least make it to the finals (probably requiring we don't run into X along the way), we have a better chance of making the NIT. So, my vote would be to avoid X as long as possible.

I also want to be on the opposite side of the brackets as X. For all their depth, they are starting to show signs of wear- last week's GW game showed that. Lavender's ankle is the huge question mark there, and who knows, they might want to rest him and not play at full speed in AC. They still want to at least win a couple games there to make it to the finals and give them a shot at a #2 seed in the Tournament, so the finals is where I'd want to see them- no sooner.

No.

I don't have any statistics to back this up, but it has always seemed to me that the first game a team plays in a tournament, especially at the end of the year, is the hardest for them. Good teams may overlook the first game because it is against a lesser team, or they may have trouble playing with the intensity they need, or any number of other reasons. I agree that playing Xavier in the first game may be better than playing them in the last.

I don't have any statistics to back this up, but it has always seemed to me that the first game a team plays in a tournament, especially at the end of the year, is the hardest for them. Good teams may overlook the first game because it is against a lesser team, or they may have trouble playing with the intensity they need, or any number of other reasons. I agree that playing Xavier in the first game may be better than playing them in the last.

Everyone is assuming that Xavier will be in the finals if we are on opposite sides of the bracket. IMO, the biggest advantage of being on the other side of the bracket is that there is a chance they will get knocked out before you would even have to play them. If you play them in their first game that chance disappears.

Yeah, and it wouldn't be the first time we've upset a team from Cinci in the first round. Bring on X. Two results: we upset them and sweep through the A-10. Or we lose and go home. Season over and start looking forward to next year. I think even if we made it to the final game an NIT bid is dicey, unless it is automatic for the runner up to get one. I'm not sure how the NIT picks anymore.

Everyone is assuming that Xavier will be in the finals if we are on opposite sides of the bracket. IMO, the biggest advantage of being on the other side of the bracket is that there is a chance they will get knocked out before you would even have to play them. If you play them in their first game that chance disappears.

Why don't we just play them on day two of the tournament and knock them out. I really like our chances against XU playing with a less than 100% Lavender. Nothing would make me feel better about this season than knocking Burrell out of the A-10 tourney and costing that POS's team a number two seed.

No.

100% agreement with brian. we need to play xu asap. not wait. waiting will only mean lisch and liddell have been beat up for another game or two. unless the idea is that someone else will knock them off.

Pesonally, I don't think X makes the final. Lavendar is hurt. One little tweak of that ankle and Miller will reel him in, trying to save something for the Dance. Linda Bruno meanwhile is in a panic because an at-large bid for any of these others is highly unlikely right now (bubble-bubble-toil-and trouble-UMass). So Linda and Sean cut a deal; Drew rests and the A10 gets at least one more team. Hey, I'm not saying anything but this league has beat the snot out of itself and lost all that early luster. From three ranked A10 teams to the A-.500. Oh well ------ I really believe that if X rolls to the AC win, it will be dicey at best for a second A10 team. Today's bubble list in USA Today was amazing as far as name schools go.

In the AC, I am rooting for whomever screws this party up the biggest. Go Fordham! Go La Salle! Go Charlotte!

Pesonally, I don't think X makes the final. Lavendar is hurt. One little tweak of that ankle and Miller will reel him in, trying to save something for the Dance. Linda Bruno meanwhile is in a panic because an at-large bid for any of these others is highly unlikely right now (bubble-bubble-toil-and trouble-UMass). So Linda and Sean cut a deal; Drew rests and the A10 gets at least one more team. Hey, I'm not saying anything but this league has beat the snot out of itself and lost all that early luster. From three ranked A10 teams to the A-.500. Oh well ------ I really believe that if X rolls to the AC win, it will be dicey at best for a second A10 team. Today's bubble list in USA Today was amazing as far as name schools go.

In the AC, I am rooting for whomever screws this party up the biggest. Go Fordham! Go La Salle! Go Charlotte!

I will be worried whoever we play.