Spring Signing Period

WVBilliken

Why is it that for the fall signing period we had all kinds of reports on potential recruits for SLU but during the fall period there seems to be little information about our targets. Is anyone on the present team leaving? The talk was that Maguire was transferring at mid-term but he apparently stayed. Does this mean he is back next year?

If nobody leaves that means only one spring recruit. Do we go big in that case or pick up a guard? I would take a big but right now I have only heard about guards, Cotto and the kid who just committed elsewhere, Wood I think. Anybody heard of anyone else the Bills are looking at? Harrelson has been talked about but is SLU really looking at him or is it just message board talk. And is he available or is the talk just wishful thinking?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it that for the fall signing period we had all kinds of reports on potential recruits for SLU but during the fall period there seems to be little information about our targets. Is anyone on the present team leaving? The talk was that Maguire was transferring at mid-term but he apparently stayed. Does this mean he is back next year?

If nobody leaves that means only one spring recruit. Do we go big in that case or pick up a guard? I would take a big but right now I have only heard about guards, Cotto and the kid who just committed elsewhere, Wood I think. Anybody heard of anyone else the Bills are looking at? Harrelson has been talked about but is SLU really looking at him or is it just message board talk. And is he available or is the talk just wishful thinking?

I would be absolutely shocked to see Mcguire back next year, and only slightly less shocked to see Anthony Mitchell back next year so I think the spots will be there if Coach finds a couple more kids he would like to sign.

If Mitchell and Mcguire stay and we only have one schollie to give, a juco 5 would be ideal. However, I couldn't argue if Coach simply signs the best player available regardless of position.

anthony mitchell has has coaches respect, i doubt he would drop him.

and he may be the fastest and quickest guy on the team; the recruiting info on him before he was signed was that he was a raw recruit and would need

work-so I never expected him to start-but I would like to see him get good enough for minutes

I am not sure we even have one schollie to give this spring unless somebody leaves or PE is not given one for the next year. Maybe somebody has done the math and can show were I am wrong. The reason you don't typically hear much about the Spring Signing Period is that most players of any ilk signed in the Fall - even JUCOS. What usually happens is those players still worth looking at are JUCOS who have decided to come out after one year or those that really blossomed their second year so not much is known about those kids until their season ends with the JUCOS playoffs. If you are a high school player and not signed in the Fall then you are either hoping your stock rose during your senior year or you have not qualified so schools are taking a wait and see approach because of your academic situation. Finally, some of the big boys don't even know what they need at this time - players have not decided who are leaving early or who might transfer or who might not make grades - so the schools are simply waiting to see what openings they have and that won't be apparent until probably in April sometime. Most places are not like we have been the last couple of years - holding multiple schollies for the Spring Period.

cheese, you are correct, assuming none of the underclassmen leave, and eckerle remains on scholarship, and all the incoming loi's indeed qualify and come to slu, we have no additional scholarships for next season.

Relphorde can play the 3 right? If so why not stay and battle it out. He has seen the floor a few times this year with a upperclassmen dominated team. Conklin may play the 3 eventually but that is not what he is used to in HS. Who else can play the 3 once TLIII leaves? That would leave MR, maybe AM and Conklin.

SR PG

JR G

JR G

JR PR

SR C

I would bet Maguire is leaving and Eckerle going on Academic Scholarship. Bring in Cotto and someone else. How about that personnel turn around? We already have a recruiting class of 1 player at each position.

I'm betting that we will not have Maguire next year, I imagine he'll go D2 or a D1 where he'll get off bench duty. Does Relphorde stay with the current recruits that we have coming in?

have you heard that is the case? you are assuming that those two would take lesser academic advantages just to play basketball? imo, the only way our players leave is if rickma tells them to leave. not asks. tells them to leave.

Am very intrigued by what RM will do this Spring and which players, if any, will not be back. People on this Board have got to know something. If they choose not to share, then fine. Otherwise, no way do I believe RM is spending this kind of energy recruiting when there are no open spaces. Also, no way does a kid like DM or AM not know if they are coming back or not. For instance, if a kid is transferring to another school, would there not be communication, arrangments, registration, class scheduling, etc. which needs to be addressed. Why no leak by friends, family, family friends, etc.

Can anyone give inside info without the names and details??

Guess we'll all wait and see.

Am very intrigued by what RM will do this Spring and which players, if any, will not be back. People on this Board have got to know something. If they choose not to share, then fine. Otherwise, no way do I believe RM is spending this kind of energy recruiting when there are no open spaces. Also, no way does a kid like DM or AM not know if they are coming back or not. For instance, if a kid is transferring to another school, would there not be communication, arrangments, registration, class scheduling, etc. which needs to be addressed. Why no leak by friends, family, family friends, etc.

Can anyone give inside info without the names and details??

Guess we'll all wait and see.

I think TT tried the other day to hint at the fact that Dustin is not coming back. When he talked about the fact Dustin is no longer suiting up with the team as he has been all year.

have you heard that is the case? you are assuming that those two would take lesser academic advantages just to play basketball? imo, the only way our players leave is if rickma tells them to leave. not asks. tells them to leave.

Aren't there lesser basketball schools with as good academics as SLU?

If it was me, I'd go where I could play, even if it meant giving up a little on the academic side.

Aren't there lesser basketball schools with as good academics as SLU?

If it was me, I'd go where I could play, even if it meant giving up a little on the academic side.

well are there lesser basketball schools with as good of academics that are 10 miles from your parents? the likes of a wash u, or a maryville or a fontbonne for example are d-3 and dont give athletic scholarships. i really dont know of comparative or better academic schools in the st louis area that are d-1, d-2 or naia schools. not everyone wants to go to maine or virginia for their college education.

well are there lesser basketball schools with as good of academics that are 10 miles from your parents? the likes of a wash u, or a maryville or a fontbonne for example are d-3 and dont give athletic scholarships. i really dont know of comparative or better academic schools in the st louis area that are d-1, d-2 or naia schools. not everyone wants to go to maine or virginia for their college education.

How about 300 miles? It doesn't have to be Maine or Virginia, you are making it look like there aren't other options by throwing the extremes out there.

Either way ... if it was me I'd want to play.

How about 300 miles? It doesn't have to be Maine or Virginia, you are making it look like there aren't other options by throwing the extremes out there.

Either way ... if it was me I'd want to play.

if it was me and i realized i was a marginal division one player that wasnt going to be earning a living playing basketball i would want the education first playing time second. you are correct though that if that circle could be extended to say a 300-400 mile radius that makes it possible then.

if it was me and i realized i was a marginal division one player that wasnt going to be earning a living playing basketball i would want the education first playing time second. you are correct though that if that circle could be extended to say a 300-400 mile radius that makes it possible then.

There are alot of good schools and in the majority of jobs the difference in schools isn't that big of a deal. You are only young with the opportunity to play D1 basketball once ... I say play and enjoy it.

ok skip, i'll play, name the school that has an equal marketing program as slu's john cook business school that is within the 300 mile radius you propose that has a basketball program that would welcome dustin maguire on an athletic scholarship?

ok skip, i'll play, name the school that has an equal marketing program as slu's john cook business school that is within the 300 mile radius you propose that has a basketball program that would welcome dustin maguire on an athletic scholarship?

what? You're changing things to fit your point of view. Convienient.

I don't know Dustin's major or if he'd be open to change.

I never said equal or better ... I said good schools. I even said maybe a bit lower academic school.

And I really don't know who would or wouldn't welcome Dustin into their basketball program, believe it or not, I haven't been contacted ... Insane isn't it.

he's a marketing major. it's in the billiken media guide.

box wins. that is a good example. assuming he would go that far from home. being 10 miles from home is probably a factor though.

he's a marketing major. it's in the billiken media guide.

box wins. that is a good example. assuming he would go that far from home. being 10 miles from home is probably a factor though.

Roy he could just as easily want to get away from home and experience a differnt city for a while and get to play the sport he loves. What it comes down to is that we have no idea what the heck dustin is thinking and to think you know what he prefers seems dumb

If he wants to stick close to home and play he could go to either SIU-E or McKendree. Both are good schools and he'd see playing time. SIU is just turning D1 so it probably wouldn't be a winning team. McKendree has talented freshmen and sophomores with another good player coming in next year and are a top 25 NAIA team already. That would be a fun place to play with a chance to win a championship.

Roy he could just as easily want to get away from home and experience a differnt city for a while and get to play the sport he loves. What it comes down to is that we have no idea what the heck dustin is thinking and to think you know what he prefers seems dumb

i never said i did. the question was posed why wouldnt he want to leave. so i was throwing out the two reasons why a player imo would still want to be a billiken if he wasnt playing. one, academics and two proximity to st louis.